PDA

View Full Version : BTN: Anti-White Sox?

oeo
08-13-2004, 11:31 PM
When showing the highlights of the game, they didn't show one offensive highlight of the White Sox, only Red Sox...why?

calderon
08-13-2004, 11:37 PM
haters

CWSGuy406
08-13-2004, 11:38 PM
Yep - and they ripped into Contreras, for his past vs. Boston - rightfully so. But they make no mention that he ended up going six innings, only allowing four runs. My gosh, the stroked Loaiza for giving up five runs in six innings in his Yank debut, yet absolutely rip Contreras for giving up four in six innings...

And then, what highlights do they show? Contreras' poor second inning, Manny's homer, and Ortiz' near homer? Yeah - make no mention of Ben Davis' game winning RBI single, Rowand's two homers, heck, Contreras what was it, seven strikeouts?

Bastards.

Lip Man 1
08-13-2004, 11:39 PM
With respect why does it bother you?

Now if the Sox were in first place, twenty five games over .500, with an eight game lead and they did that... I could understand you getting upset...hell SportsCenter didn't even show the Sox / Royals highlights at all the two provious days during 'old school' week (which I loved by the way.)

Lip

oeo
08-13-2004, 11:51 PM
If you're going to talk about the game, I think you should give credit to the winning team and the winning pitcher, and not an almost homerun. Who cares if he almost hit a homerun. After showing Contreras' bad inning, they should have said he bounced back and did a good job after that, I mean come on.

balke
08-14-2004, 12:04 AM
ESPN... yikes.

Just like KC whoopin on Giants, and not ONE KC HIGHLIGHT!!!!!!! OMFG! I don't even know who the Chiefs QB is this year, if it's still Green or what. ANd did X make any kick returns? How'd Priest do?

NOpe, I get biased Warner/Manning clips, and they left out the shot of Warner fumbling through his thumb like he did all last year!

ugh. I hate ESPN! At least they finally gave a little respect to the first place Cards.

Nellie_Fox
08-14-2004, 12:07 AM
It's not so much an anti-White Sox bias as it is a pro Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Giants bias.

Tragg
08-14-2004, 12:10 AM
The BoSox are ESPN's home team- they always give their home teams exemplary coverage. See U Conn basketball, , a program they gave a major, major assist in creating. Big East conference as well.

Jurr
08-14-2004, 12:13 AM
Also, when talking about the AL Central race, they did not make a peep about the Sox in that at all. AL Wild Card?? Nope. They sure as hell mentioned Cleveland. Last time I checked, we're two games off of Cleveland. Not too big a hole if you ask me.

Don't worry about it. I don't think they mentioned the Marlins at all last year until probably game 6 of the World Series.

OurBitchinMinny
08-14-2004, 12:14 AM
Its not anti white sox. They are just indifferent to them

Jurr
08-14-2004, 12:21 AM
Tim Kurkijan has a fantasy involving himself in a sandwich between Jeter and A-Rod....Joe Torre filming, of course. He won't say anything about any other team unless the team has won at least 5 in a row.

Por ejemplo--- Sox pick up Freddy Garcia. At the end of the BBTN broadcast, they always do their "most important thing of the day" segment. Now, if the Yanks had picked up Garcia, Timmy would've been hootin' and hollerin' about how great Garcia is as a Yankees pitcher and how it's over for everyone else.
So.......if Garcia is that great, he'd have to say that the Garcia pickup for the Sox was the biggest thing, right??? WRONG! He says that the Yankees getting another come from behind win was the biggest thing today. How predictable.

Gammons will at least sometimes mention positives involving the Sox.

OurBitchinMinny
08-14-2004, 12:24 AM
Tim Kurkijan has a fantasy involving himself in a sandwich between Jeter and A-Rod....Joe Torre filming, of course. He won't say anything about any other team unless the team has won at least 5 in a row.

Por ejemplo--- Sox pick up Freddy Garcia. At the end of the BBTN broadcast, they always do their "most important thing of the day" segment. Now, if the Yanks had picked up Garcia, Timmy would've been hootin' and hollerin' about how great Garcia is as a Yankees pitcher and how it's over for everyone else.
So.......if Garcia is that great, he'd have to say that the Garcia pickup for the Sox was the biggest thing, right??? WRONG! He says that the Yankees getting another come from behind win was the biggest thing today. How predictable.

Dont forget how BBTN claimed the yanks fleeced the white sox in acquiring two time "all star" loaiza for crappy contreas. Id say we definitely got the better end of that deal

Soxzilla
08-14-2004, 12:25 AM
Thats only because he is so old and senile he SOMETIMES confuses his beloved red sox with the white sox.:?:

OEO Magglio
08-14-2004, 12:27 AM
Also, when talking about the AL Central race, they did not make a peep about the Sox in that at all. AL Wild Card?? Nope. They sure as hell mentioned Cleveland. Last time I checked, we're two games off of Cleveland. Not too big a hole if you ask me.

Don't worry about it. I don't think they mentioned the Marlins at all last year until probably game 6 of the World Series.The sox are also tied with the Indians in the loss column but I guess that doesn't matter according to bbtn, it's all about the Indians right now.

Gimm
08-14-2004, 12:27 AM
Yep - and they ripped into Contreras, for his past vs. Boston - rightfully so. But they make no mention that he ended up going six innings, only allowing four runs.
As bad as he was, he only gave up 3 ER in 6 inn against a very good-hitting team in the snake pit that is Fenway.

The lone "unearned" run came on 2nd base ump's error. :D:

Jurr
08-14-2004, 12:33 AM
Yeah....the way I see it is the law of averages dictates that this team wasn't going to stay in an offensive slump for a terribly long amount of time. All it takes is for Jose to heat up a tad, Paulie and Lee to be okay, Carl and Robbie to pick it up a little, and for Uribe, Rowand, and Davis to pitch in sometimes. Nothing stellar, just a little steadier.

We have the pitching to beat Cleveland, Minnesota, or anyone else for that matter. If the hitters keep on this steady offensive display (4 or 5 runs a game), we will be in a good position with our starting pitching. We don't need 8 or 9 runs. Just enough for the pitchers to be relaxed and not have to feel like they've gotta be perfect every pitch. Right now, the Sox have been in such a funk that they have trouble closing the door on things. They're seemingly waiting for the rug to be pulled out from under them. As soon as they get rolling again, which it looks like it could be soon, then everything will be a lot smoother again. I'm sure of it.

OEO Magglio
08-14-2004, 12:36 AM
Yeah....the way I see it is the law of averages dictates that this team wasn't going to stay in an offensive slump for a terribly long amount of time. All it takes is for Jose to heat up a tad, Paulie and Lee to be okay, Carl and Robbie to pick it up a little, and for Uribe, Rowand, and Davis to pitch in sometimes. Nothing stellar, just a little steadier.

We have the pitching to beat Cleveland, Minnesota, or anyone else for that matter. If the hitters keep on this steady offensive display (4 or 5 runs a game), we will be in a good position with our starting pitching. We don't need 8 or 9 runs. Just enough for the pitchers to be relaxed and not have to feel like they've gotta be perfect every pitch. Right now, the Sox have been in such a funk that they have trouble closing the door on things. They're seemingly waiting for the rug to be pulled out from under them. As soon as they get rolling again, which it looks like it could be soon, then everything will be a lot smoother again. I'm sure of it.If the sox can consistantly score 4 or 5 runs a game, they're going to win this division.

Jurr
08-14-2004, 12:39 AM
If the sox can consistantly score 4 or 5 runs a game, they're going to win this division.Couldn't have said it better myself.

Mohoney
08-14-2004, 12:40 AM

If we claw back into 1st place, then and ONLY then will ESPN give us ANY kind of credit whatsoever on Baseball Tonight. Without Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez, we lack "star power".

However, they DID do a write-up on Ozzie Guillen in the last issue of their magazine. This perplexed me.

Why do a write-up about Ozzie Guillen if you hate our franchise so much?

PS: If we absolutely SHELL Curt Schilling tomorrow, I GUARANTEE that Peter Gammons will sing our praises on Baseball Tonight in an effort to downplay the Red Sox having lost 2 of 3 to us at Fenway. He will call us "a great team" and hype up that "Ozzie Guillen has done a GREAT job for this ballclub all year."

MRKARNO
08-14-2004, 12:56 AM
PS: If we absolutely SHELL Curt Schilling tomorrow, I GUARANTEE that Peter Gammons will sing our praises on Baseball Tonight in an effort to downplay the Red Sox having lost 2 of 3 to us at Fenway. He will call us "a great team" and hype up that "Ozzie Guillen has done a GREAT job for this ballclub all year."
Well that's a given:)

Rocklive99
08-14-2004, 01:14 AM
When KC beat us 11-0, it was a rare time when BBTN showed us in the opening Outside the Box segment. Ravech announced the 11-0 score, moment of silence, then a lot of laughter, and then they moved on to the next highlight. I haven't watched since

Blueprint1
08-14-2004, 01:15 AM
I also believe they forgot to even mention that Rowand hit two HR's. I dont even think they showed a highlight in touch em all.

balke
08-14-2004, 01:58 AM
Why would anyone care about the central race? THE real question is, CAN BOSTON CATCH NEW YORK?! WHat about those METS!!!???

About us having no star power, true, but they do give Rowand respect every now and then. He's our star right now, but it's hard to bump his 16 homeruns, cause that's all people care about. They want upper 20's right now.

I think if this board really wanted to we could pull out about 20 pages of ESPN Disses on the White Sox in the past year or so. I don't know what their deal is. They broadcast us a few weeks ago and talked about the cubs all game, then dissed our fans, then brought up the KC incident, and said Loaiza wanted out, just making up all this crap about our team. :angry: :angry: :angry: I'm getting angry just thinking about it. THey wouldn't like me when I'm angry.:supernana: :angry:

oeo
08-14-2004, 02:08 AM
I also believe they forgot to even mention that Rowand hit two HR's. I dont even think they showed a highlight in touch em all.
They said nothing about the White Sox...the only thing was about how terrible JC has done against the Red Sox and then they went on to their Manny homerun and a get this, a near homerun by Ortiz...who f'in cares?!

I mean, Ben Davis got a game winning single and they don't even show that, they'd rather show a meaningless deep fly ball...ESPN sucks.

jordan23ventura
08-14-2004, 02:16 AM
ESPN... yikes.

Just like KC whoopin on Giants, and not ONE KC HIGHLIGHT!!!!!!! OMFG! I don't even know who the Chiefs QB is this year, if it's still Green or what. ANd did X make any kick returns? How'd Priest do?

NOpe, I get biased Warner/Manning clips, and they left out the shot of Warner fumbling through his thumb like he did all last year!

ugh. I hate ESPN! At least they finally gave a little respect to the first place Cards.
At the beginning of the season they were wondering if the Cards could keep third place by the end of the season because the cubs were going to run away with it and Houston would be the closest behind them. Man, how right they were...

jordan23ventura
08-14-2004, 02:22 AM
They said nothing about the White Sox...the only thing was about how terrible JC has done against the Red Sox and then they went on to their Manny homerun and a get this, a near homerun by Ortiz...who f'in cares?!

I mean, Ben Davis got a game winning single and they don't even show that, they'd rather show a meaningless deep fly ball...ESPN sucks.ESPN is the MTV of sports. I wish they would just show the highlights and call them like a knowledgable commentator would. Instead, they have to throw in all the idiotic "cathphrases" and make their own stupid analogies that have nothing to do with baseball. Additionally, they always pick a player and either make him out to be terrible or the greatest thing that ever walked the face of the earth. Then they'll say stuff like, "he's the best player in baseball," or, "this team doesn't have a chance" and laugh about it, or something like that. They can't just show you what happened and explain the important plays.

Nellie_Fox
08-14-2004, 02:26 AM
However, they DID do a write-up on Ozzie Guillen in the last issue of their magazine. This perplexed me.
I'm quite certain that the magazine staff is entirely separate from the on-air staff.

Jurr
08-14-2004, 09:48 AM
Speaking of media....I read this quote in the Chisox.com page.

"The same kudos goes to starting pitcher Jose Contreras (10-5), who views a trip to Boston along the same lines as a trip to the dentist."

Wow. I had no idea people hated dentist appointments so much. Kind of depressing.