PDA

View Full Version : Why Rowand is better than Singleton (so far)

KempersRS
10-02-2001, 10:14 PM
OBP OBP OBP

Chisox_cali
10-02-2001, 10:21 PM
So who's on the Rowand boat and who's on the Singleton's boat? I'm a Rowand man

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

I wonder where CLR stands on this issue?

:slowswing
Are you on drugs Jerry? You know he's with me on this.

KempersRS
10-02-2001, 10:23 PM

I like Rowand, and I'm 99% sure CLR is a Rowand man too! :)

Chisox_cali
10-02-2001, 10:24 PM
I'm sure if a bunch of us are on the Rowand boat he for sure wont be playing regularly next year

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
I'm 99% sure CLR is a Rowand man too!

Oh yeah, just like MJ was 99.9% sure he wasn't coming back!

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 10:26 PM
I'm sure if a bunch of us are on the Rowand boat he for sure wont be playing regularly next year

Well then by your logic:

Everyone get on the Jerry Reinsdorf boat and maybe he will sell the team!

Chisox_cali
10-02-2001, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

HA! I remeber earlier this year he messed up and said he was 99.9% sure he was coming back this year

Spiff
10-02-2001, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

BTW give Rick Reily credit for going out on a limb months and months ago and saying that Mike was coming back after that 99.9 business.

charlie browned
10-02-2001, 10:29 PM
I'll repeat my position that Singleton is a superior center fielder and locker room force.

Rowand is a fireplug gamer, and should play regularly---but his bat is not superior to C. Lee's in left. Teach him to play infield---he has more fire in his belly than Durham....

KempersRS
10-02-2001, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by charlie browned
I'll repeat my position that Singleton is a superior center fielder and locker room force.

Rowand is a fireplug gamer, and should play regularly---but his bat is not superior to C. Lee's in left. Teach him to play infield---he has more fire in his belly than Durham....

Singleton couldn't take a walk if you sent him up there without a bat. Rowand has shown atleast some plate knowledge.

Daver
10-02-2001, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by charlie browned

Not a chance that Rowand could play infeild,he can't deal with a grounder off the wall well.That being said he is far and away better than Carlos Lee in the outfeild.

GASHWOUND
10-02-2001, 11:19 PM

Singleton is better with the glove, he's clutch, and he's a lefty in a mostly right handed lineup. Singleton in '99 was great, hitting with guys in scoring position and hitting .300 on the year. Lasy year he was injured and so he did not perform to '99 standards. He's healthy now and look at him now. He's hitting over .300 and is a clutch hitter. He's not a lead off guy so he doesn't need to walk that much. He doesn't walk at all and he's still hitting over .300. Whatever works for him.
Rowand can be our backup outfielder. Can play left & center. We have to many righties on this club. We need a balance of lefties. If Rowand and Crede play, the only lefties that would be in there is ray and jose. And MJ in the 9th hole, but he's not really great woth the bat. Give Crissy another chance.

HootieMcBoob
10-02-2001, 11:52 PM
i'd say i'm an aaron rowand fan just b/c he gave me his bat in a milwaukee game @ miller park this year. but anyways, i think next year, chris/aaron will platoon depending whether the opposing pitcher is righty/lefty (unless one of them starts tearin things up)

charlie browned
10-03-2001, 12:01 AM
well said, gash.

I have the sick feeling that if Singleton is traded, he will tear things up...maybe that will be good for him and his career... often, a change of environment is enough to ignite one's potential (in almost any discipline).

But it would be nice from a fan's standpoint (and a father-of-fans' standpoint) to see the Sox reward and cultivate good players who also happen to be good people....

Tragg
10-03-2001, 12:50 AM
OBP OBP OBP

No question about that, although I think it says a lot more about why Singleton belongs off this team than why rowand belongs in cf everyday. I'm not convinced that rowand has the defensive skills. Still, given the choice, give me AR.

CLR01
10-03-2001, 02:06 AM
Okay i will be the first to admit i am an idiot but i don't see the rush to replace singleton. I assume it is agreed that no matter who is in center next year he will be replaced as soon as Joe B. comes up, probably 2003. So why throw a "rookie" who is trying to learn a new position (and based on posts here, a very important defensive position)out there when you have a gold glove caliber player already out there? You are essentially putting a Carlos lee into center, you think you go through the beer/Bayer aspirin now you better hit Sam's or Costco next year to stock up. Singleton is more than adequate in CF for now until Joe gets the nod.

"Don't worry about me CLR, even if i am a back-up i will be starting in no time cause Aaron still hasn't learned the outfield dimensions."

Singleton couldn't take a walk if you sent him up there without a bat.

"What are you kidding me Kempers? Why would i take a pitch when i have my "special" bats? That would just be a waste of a pitch. You don't reach for a glass of water when you have an ice cold beer sitting in the refrigerator do you?"

well maybe west and the other health conscious right coasters do.

FarWestChicago
10-03-2001, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by CLR01
"What are you kidding me Kempers? Why would i take a pitch when i have my "special" bats? That would just be a waste of a pitch. You don't reach for a glass of water when you have an ice cold beer sitting in the refrigerator do you?"

well maybe west and the other health conscious right coasters do.

:slowswing First of all, me and Ode and Cali are Left Coasters. Second of all, you'll never see me reaching for water instead of beer unless I'm at work!

CLR01
10-03-2001, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
First of all, me and Ode and Cali are Left Coasters. Second of all, you'll never see me reaching for water instead of beer unless I'm at work!

See i told you i was an idiot. Must have looked at the map upside down.

FarWestChicago
10-03-2001, 02:25 AM

See i told you i was an idiot. Must have looked at the map upside down. The Ol' Upside Down Map Trick. :)

CLR01
10-03-2001, 02:36 AM
Nice pumpkins.

FarWestChicago
10-03-2001, 02:39 AM
Nice pumpkins. Me and some other vB admins had a little burst of holiday spirit tonight, LOL!

Who knows what will happen with Thanksgiving and Halloween. :)

Joel Perez
10-03-2001, 01:33 PM
:slowswing vs. :rowand?

Tough call--only because Chris is a lefty bat, and you need a couple to balance your lineup.

I'll say :slowswing only because if he has a great year next year, then he'll be that much more enticing to trade so that :rowand can be the CF or LF next year, depending on if the Sox keep :caballo .

CerberusWG
10-03-2001, 03:51 PM
Look at Slow Swing's OBP. Look at Rowand's. I'm a rowand man, I just hope he's at Sox Fest this year! It would be cool to have Jose Canseco there too, but he probabaly won't. Jose and Rowand seem like very very nice guys.

CerberusWG
10-03-2001, 03:52 PM
Also, about C Lee:

I just don't like him in the OF. I would rather have Maggs move to LF, trade C Lee and maybe Liefer for a catcher/starter and then put Rowand in Left, Borchard in Center. talk about an exciting OF!

LongDistanceFan
10-03-2001, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
Also, about C Lee:

I just don't like him in the OF. I would rather have Maggs move to LF, trade C Lee and maybe Liefer for a catcher/starter and then put Rowand in Left, Borchard in Center. talk about an exciting OF! i don't know why, but i am not sold on rowand talent and defense. If people see as him as being talented, lets trade him and someone else for a prospect or 2. Keep Chris in cf, he has done a good job this yr and he has emerge as a good citizen in the clubhouse.......

Trade rowand.

Tragg
10-03-2001, 10:17 PM
The problem with trading c lee, is simply that you would be trading him at the bottom of his value - when he is in a slump. Just won't get that much for him.
Personally, I think he can hit.