PDA

View Full Version : ***OFFICIAL*** Nailbiter - Sox 8, Red Sox 7 Post Game thread

doublem23
08-13-2004, 10:30 PM
Those were two loooooooooooooong outs.

:supernana:

whitesoxwilkes
08-13-2004, 10:31 PM
whew! whooohoo!

Huisj
08-13-2004, 10:32 PM
is anyone else starting to get a bit nervous about shingo lately? is the league catching on a bit to super slow stuff? will he adjust?

ChiWhiteSox1337
08-13-2004, 10:32 PM
And the Wrigley Field-like fans made it even worse. I thought every pop up was out of the park because the crowd went crazy. :o: 2 wins in a row, we're starting something

owensmouth
08-13-2004, 10:33 PM
Contreras gets a victory over the Red Sox. Joe Torreeee swallows his chaw

Blob
:winner

Now we can all breathe!!

Brian26
What a game. Wow.

The baseball season can be like a rubberband. You keep pulling on it and pulling on it, and finally it snaps. The Sox have been close to breaking out of this thing over the past week. Hopefully this is the game that sends them shooting for the stars.

LongLiveFisk
Given Contreras' track record at Fenway, I'm thrilled with this win.

Far from pretty, but I'll take it! :gulp:

princek
08-13-2004, 10:34 PM
is anyone else starting to get a bit nervous about shingo lately? is the league catching on a bit to super slow stuff? will he adjust?

i think its more of an issue that he has been falling behind then the league catching up

Flight #24
08-13-2004, 10:34 PM
4.5 out, 3 back of the Twinks.........this thing might not be over yet.

On another front: Anyone else need to change their shorts during that 2d inning? Anyone else think it's a nice sign for Contreras that he wiggled his way out of it with just 3 runs? I haven't seen any of his prior meltdowns, but I can see how he could have totally collapsed and ended up with one of his 2IP-7ER games. Hopefully this helps his confidence and keeps him on track.

whitesoxwilkes
08-13-2004, 10:35 PM
is anyone else starting to get a bit nervous about shingo lately? is the league catching on a bit to super slow stuff? will he adjust?I'm nervous about it, and the issue is I don't think Shingo can adjust. He's been throwing that way for years and there's no way that we can get him to change his motion or add 10 mph to his fastabll.

Anyone else notice he's using the Frisbee less and less as an out pitch and is generally throwing it more as a first pitch?

That being said, great game. Coulda easily been a 10-7 win, but I'll take it. :bandance:

jamteh
4 games out...trying not to be optimistic...but I am! Yikes!

JB98

The league is not catching on to Shingo. He is struggling of late because his control is not as precise as it was earlier in the year. During his hot streak, he was not walking guys or falling behind 2-0 in the count. He did both of those things tonight, but fortunately, he survived.

Good effort by the offense tonight, some good clutch hitting. For tomorrow, our pitchers need to start throwing some damn strikes. You shouldn't expect to walk out of Fenway with a win when you walk seven hitters. We got away with one tonight.

balke
All I know is he threw to that last batter in the 8th, the ball was headed straight for the guys head, he started to duck, and lowered his bat, then the ball curved back in dead center on the plate. DISGUSTING!

zach23
And the Wrigley Field-like fans made it even worse. I thought every pop up was out of the park because the crowd went crazy. :o: 2 wins in a row, we're starting something

Sadly, the Red Sox fans are morphing with the scrub fans into an ugly annoying beast. Boston used to be a favorite team of mine during the 70's, but now I find myself hating them because of their fans that act obnoxious and whine incessantly about being cursed whenever things don't go their way.

Brian26
The most apparent need for the White Sox right now is a righthanded arm in the pen that can shut things down. MJ and Politte aren't going to get the job done down the stretch.

losingugly2004
I'm not too worried about Shingo it's just that it seems like he can only last for three batters in these high pressure situations. Also, I don't believe he's getting the calls that are close to the corners anymore. How about the crapjob that Politte put forward? And how about that blown call by the umpire in the second inning on that pickoff attempt by Jose Contreras?

Brian26
08-13-2004, 10:36 PM
I love Hawk more than anyone, but those sunglasses make him look like a fool. :D:

Jurr
NO...I think Shingo can adjust. He's been pitching so long that he knows how to make things work. Por ejemplo, he was pretty miserable during spring training and learned to work his mojo. He'll be okay. Better than Billy Koch, at least. He's got ice water in his veins.

balke
I love Hawk more than anyone, but those sunglasses make him look like a fool. :D:
true, heh.

Win1ForMe
08-13-2004, 10:37 PM
Millar's home run came on a fast-ball right down the middle. A lot of players can hit that one out. Seems to me like the HR resulted from Shingo getting behind in the count and then just wanting to challenge Millar so as not to walk him.

He's been scored upon lately because he doesn't have his good control, not becuase the league is catching on. Afterall, this was the first time the Red Sox have seen him.

pczarapa
Contreras gets a victory over the Red Sox. Joe Torreeee swallows his chaw

Yep, I bet the Yankees fans really love Loaiza now!

Chrisaway
Contreras looked pretty good tonite (minus the 2nd).

minastirith67
:twinslose

Good stuff.

zach23
08-13-2004, 10:39 PM
Yep, I bet the Yankees fans really love Loaiza now!

:rolling:

King George > "Contreras beat Boston! Who traded him! Get Costanza in here now!"

Brian26
08-13-2004, 10:40 PM
We're 4 out. We can do this. You just have to believe. Buehrle-Garcia-Contreras down the stretch are going to be unstoppable.

Jurr
Yeah...how smart does KW look now?? Loaiza probably would've gotten his ass handed to him tonight. Contreras gets his composure, keeps us in the game, and BEN DAVIS (Mr.spare part in the deal) comes through again. Carl Everett...big game.

beckett21
Big win. Nice clutch hit for Big Ben.

There is still life. :bandance:

owensmouth
08-13-2004, 10:41 PM
Of course, tomorrow is Judy vs Schilling

Brian26
08-13-2004, 10:42 PM
Yeah...how smart does KW look now?? Loaiza probably would've gotten his ass handed to him tonight. Contreras gets his composure, keeps us in the game, and BEN DAVIS (Mr.spare part in the deal) comes through again. Carl Everett...big game.And Rowand, the guy KW believed in enough not to sign Everett last winter, with two big homers too.

illiniwhitesox
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_HOOTER
I know you are trying to be funny about Clayton comparisons, and maybe he does have a weak OBP, but to say you wouldnt want him on your team is ridiculous.

This guy plays great defense, hits for power, has speed, and wants to win.

Would you rather have Everitt or Hunter?

If one person says Rowand, I'll die.

Time to make funeral arrangements. I'll take Rowand, his contract, his defense, his arm, his AVERAGE, his OBP. The Twins can take Torii's "acting hard" routine.

You see, "I'm from the hood". No Torii, you are from Arkansas. There is no hood in Arkansas.

Jurr
Another thing...Ozzie made a HUGE smart gut decision to put Uribe in to bat in place of Robbie. Robbie had taken some awful swings earlier, and it was evident that he had his timing screwed by Wakefield. In steps Juan with a big hit.

Jurr
08-13-2004, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_HOOTER
I know you are trying to be funny about Clayton comparisons, and maybe he does have a weak OBP, but to say you wouldnt want him on your team is ridiculous.

This guy plays great defense, hits for power, has speed, and wants to win.

Would you rather have Everitt or Hunter?

If one person says Rowand, I'll die.

Time to make funeral arrangements. I'll take Rowand, his contract, his defense, his arm, his AVERAGE, his OBP. The Twins can take Torii's "acting hard" routine.

You see, "I'm from the hood". No Torii, you are from Arkansas. There is no hood in Arkansas.Actually, the Klan is big in Arkansas. I live two miles from the Arkansas border in Memphis. There are lots of hoods.

Win1ForMe
Is Jose Contreras the best pitcher in baseball out of the windup?

A good start tonight, not dominating, but a good outing to build on. 8 K's in 6IP tells me the BoSox don't exactly have him figured out as much as everyone thought.

balke
Ozzie's gut should've told him Politte sucks balls

delben91
08-13-2004, 10:44 PM
Nice win by the Sox tonight. Wasn't pretty, but hey, they (and we) are in no position to be picky. Keep it going tomorrow boys.

OEO Magglio
08-13-2004, 10:44 PM
Another thing...Ozzie made a HUGE smart gut decision to put Uribe in to bat in place of Robbie. Robbie had taken some awful swings earlier, and it was evident that he had his timing screwed by Wakefield. In steps Juan with a big hit.Yes but ozzie also put Mike Jackson in to face Manny Ramirez in the 7th. Anyways the sox are now 3 back in the loss column of the twins.

owensmouth
08-13-2004, 10:45 PM
Another thing...Ozzie made a HUGE smart gut decision to put Uribe in to bat in place of Robbie. Robbie had taken some awful swings earlier, and it was evident that he had his timing screwed by Wakefield. In steps Juan with a big hit.According to the Boston announcers, that was Jose Uribe. I hate listening to the opponent's TV

Jurr
Well, the thing with Contreras is pressure. He panicked a little bit in the second inning, but he got out of it. Ozzie was able to calm his butt down. In New York, he'd have Stottlemeyer go up there and say what...."No pitch up"....the guy can't speak Spanish!!! In NY, they let you sink or swim. In Chicago, they'll try to work you through a tough spot.

Brian26
Nice win by the Sox tonight. Wasn't pretty, but hey, they (and we) are in no position to be picky. Keep it going tomorrow boys.
As long as we have one more run than the other team at the end of the night, it doesn't matter.

Win1ForMe
08-13-2004, 10:46 PM

You see, "I'm from the hood". No Torii, you are from Arkansas. There is no hood in Arkansas.
I would take Torii Hunter every single day of the week.

Jurr
08-13-2004, 10:47 PM
I caught that Jose Uribe reference. Funny stuff. It's funny to watch all of the other announcers from around the league talking about Timo, as well. They are all under the impression that he's a burner. He's short and looks quick, but he's pretty damn slow.

balke
08-13-2004, 10:49 PM
I caught that Jose Uribe reference. Funny stuff. It's funny to watch all of the other announcers from around the league talking about Timo, as well. They are all under the impression that he's a burner. He's short and looks quick, but he's pretty damn slow.

Word, he had a horrible run at the ball inthe second off of that first double. No range, and a throw in that didn't even make it to the cut off man, when he was trying to go home with it..

Jurr
08-13-2004, 10:49 PM
I think the traveling that Minnesota has been doing has screwed them up a bit. Seattle and then right back to Cleveland after an 18 inning game?? OUCH!!!

balke
08-13-2004, 10:50 PM
I think the traveling that Minnesota has been doing has screwed them up a bit. Seattle and then right back to Cleveland after an 18 inning game?? OUCH!!!
Poor Minnesota. I hope sox can win another one in boston, they deserve to make this raace interesting.

losingugly2004
08-13-2004, 10:50 PM
And Rowand, the guy KW believed in enough not to sign Everett last winter, with two big homers too.
Yes, Rowand is one of the few guys who has been doing a consistently good job. However I was really surprised to see his stats with bases loaded were actually below .200, I never would have believed it.

Mohoney
08-13-2004, 10:53 PM
The most impressive thing about this win is that everybody contributed in some way. We played TEAM baseball, and we outworked the Red Sox for a well-deserved win. I think that tonight was absolutely huge, and we grew as a team. Only time will tell, but I think that this will be a three horse race by next weekend.

balke
I think my favorite part of the game tonight was Oz sportin the hoodie. *** was that?! hahahaha. It was actually pretty cool.

Jurr
Well, that .200 average has been over the last few years, when he couldn't hit a slow pitch softball. He's a different animal, even though I wanted to strangle him when he hit into that 6-1-3 DP.

owensmouth
08-13-2004, 10:54 PM
Yes, Rowand is one of the few guys who has been doing a consistently good job. However I was really surprised to see his stats with bases loaded were actually below .200, I never would have believed it.
I was surprised by that too. May be because of the number of times he's been up with the bases loaded.

Jurr
08-13-2004, 10:54 PM
The most impressive thing about this win is that everybody contributed in some way. We played TEAM baseball, and we outworked the Red Sox for a well-deserved win. I think that tonight was absolutely huge, and we grew as a team. Only time will tell, but I think that this will be a three horse race by next weekend.
Hell, you knew the Sox couldn't suck that bad forever. They just had to get things rolling a little bit.

cubhater
08-13-2004, 10:55 PM
Of course, tomorrow is Judy vs Schilling
Cmon Hurrican Charley! Rain the game out! Just kidding. The last thing we need is a rain out with only two off-days remaining.

cubhater
08-13-2004, 10:56 PM
And Rowand, the guy KW believed in enough not to sign Everett last winter, with two big homers too.
But dammit! He hit into a home to first DP!:redneck

CanOfCorn
08-13-2004, 10:58 PM
I'm nervous about it, and the issue is I don't think Shingo can adjust. He's been throwing that way for years and there's no way that we can get him to change his motion or add 10 mph to his fastabll.

By this reasoning, every pitcher in the major leagues would be screwed after their 10th appearance.

Closers who rely on offspeed stuff will get in slumps. Foulke was famous for it, and pretty much 25 teams would love to have him as a closer.

The only one who doesn't seem to get in a rut is Trevor Hoffman. I don't know how he does it.

cubhater
08-13-2004, 11:00 PM
Take him where? To the Arkansas hood?:?:

Jurr
Hoffman's got a decent fastball, though, doesn't he?? With a good FB, you can just scare people into waiting on the offspeed stuff, only to get stung with a heater.

owensmouth
Cmon Hurrican Charley! Rain the game out! Just kidding. The last thing we need is a rain out with only two off-days remaining.Make up date would have to be Sep 13. Red Sox are not off Monday

Jurr
08-13-2004, 11:01 PM
Take him where? To the Arkansas hood?:?:
Like I said earlier...I don't think Toriiiii would want to see the hoods in Arkansas. That's a pretty ass backwards state.

OEO Magglio
08-13-2004, 11:01 PM
By this reasoning, every pitcher in the major leagues would be screwed after their 10th appearance.

Closers who rely on offspeed stuff will get in slumps. Foulke was famous for it, and pretty much 25 teams would love to have him as a closer.

The only one who doesn't seem to get in a rut is Trevor Hoffman. I don't know how he does it.Shingo will be fine, once again today he was falling behind in counts and that's what burned him on that homer but he had to throw a strike there because Millar's runs meant nothing. Oh well he let up two runs, he got the save. Shingo we'll be absolutely fine, as for the rest of the bullpen.......:o:

owensmouth
08-13-2004, 11:02 PM
But dammit! He hit into a home to first DP!:redneck
Yeah, he set things up for Beltin' Ben

Soxzilla
08-13-2004, 11:10 PM

The only one who doesn't seem to get in a rut is Trevor Hoffman. I don't know how he does it.
Trevor Hoffman does something wierd with his windup that fools hitters. DJ and hawk were talking about it the other day.

CWSGuy406
08-13-2004, 11:11 PM
With Contreras, it actually should have been three earned runs. He had (I forgot who was on second) a guy picked off on second, he was clearly out, yet the ump called him safe.

All things considered, though - his career 16 + ERA in three starts at Fenway - I'll take it. Go get 'em tomorrow, Jon!

OEO Magglio
08-13-2004, 11:14 PM
With Contreras, it actually should have been three earned runs. He had (I forgot who was on second) a guy picked off on second, he was clearly out, yet the ump called him safe.

All things considered, though - his career 16 + ERA in three starts at Fenway - I'll take it. Go get 'em tomorrow, Jon!Very true. I was very impressed by him today. He lost all control in the 2nd inning, let up 3 runs but like you said it should have been 2. Then after that he settled down and just let up the homer to manny. Overall great effort by Jose tonight.

losingugly2004
08-13-2004, 11:17 PM
How can any Sox fan not be happy with the way things turned out with the addition of Contreras? I have no ill will towards Loaiza, but, it really seemed like all the AL hitters had figured him out.

Win1ForMe
08-13-2004, 11:21 PM
Tomorrow might turn ugly for us now that I think about it. Garland going on 3 days rest coupled with Ozzie using Politte and Marte in 3 straight games, as well as Shingo the last 2, we might just see a lot Mike Jackson.
:(:

Can we please call up Jose Santiago? The guy had a 2.84 ERA with Cleveland last year in 32 IP. He can actually help us.

Soxzilla
08-13-2004, 11:23 PM
Tomorrow might turn ugly for us now that I think about it. Garland going on 3 days rest coupled with Ozzie using Politte and Marte in 3 straight games, as well as Shingo the last 2, we might just see a lot Mike Jackson.
:(:

Can we please call up Jose Santiago? The guy had a 2.84 ERA with Cleveland last year in 32 IP. He can actually help us.
Oh dont worry, if it gets out of hand. Felix diaz will come out for us!

Flight #24
08-13-2004, 11:41 PM
Oh dont worry, if it gets out of hand. Felix diaz will come out for us!
Given his general performance in the first inning, might not be so bad......

Gimm
08-13-2004, 11:45 PM
is anyone else starting to get a bit nervous about shingo lately? is the league catching on a bit to super slow stuff? will he adjust?Hell fell behind 2-0 on Millar and 2-0 on Cabrera. He is lucky he lived to tell about it.

He's got enough speed differential, movement and deception in his delivery to dominate.

But all that stuff ceased to matter much if Shingo doesn't have his pinpoint control - falling behind 2-0 and laying a get-me-over pitch into a hitter's wheelhouse is death for him.

Rudy Law
08-13-2004, 11:45 PM
i think its more of an issue that he has been falling behind then the league catching up

Yeah he has just had trouble getting his breaking ball over, and therefore they just sit on his fastball. It happens with every pitcher!

balke
08-14-2004, 12:06 AM
I think Diaz will be good out of the pen, hopefully better than Cotts. And Cotts has been pretty decent.

kcsportscaster
08-14-2004, 12:06 AM
As long as DA SOX are in the win column it may not matter as much, but I am wondering if the rest of the American League is beginning to catch up to Shingo, especially with the amount of home runs he has allowed in recent appearances. However, outside of the bad inning, I thought Contreras pitched well. I think not being in the pressure cooker of New York is starting to make him a much better pitcher than he was before the trade.

As for tomorrow, a WGN 7 Eastern/6 Central time game, I don't have much confidence in Garland at all, especially with Schilling pitching for the other Sox. Here's hoping for the best.

Lip Man 1
08-14-2004, 12:43 AM
I give them credit...they showed some guts tonight especially after that bad inning by Contraras.

Lip

OEO Magglio
08-14-2004, 12:46 AM
I give them credit...they showed some guts tonight especially after that bad inning by Contraras.

Lip:o:

calderon
08-14-2004, 12:47 AM
like it has been said, Shingo will be fine as long as he doesn't fall behind hitters, great win tonight, great job by rowand, though I hate to nitpick, the guy is awful with runners in scoring position.

Gimm
08-14-2004, 01:17 AM
Yeah he has just had trouble getting his breaking ball over, and therefore they just sit on his fastball. It happens with every pitcher!
Yes, even the Great Kyle Farnsworth. :redneck

OurBitchinMinny
08-14-2004, 01:20 AM
Good win, davis is starting to look like a steal. But shingo is making me nervous. We need a closer long term. Even if shingo turns out ok this year, the guy is 35 years old

OEO Magglio
08-14-2004, 01:25 AM
Good win, davis is starting to look like a steal. But shingo is making me nervous. We need a closer long term. Even if shingo turns out ok this year, the guy is 35 years oldSo? He'll be back next year so we'll have a good closer next year also.

MRKARNO
08-14-2004, 01:32 AM
Good win, davis is starting to look like a steal. But shingo is making me nervous. We need a closer long term. Even if shingo turns out ok this year, the guy is 35 years old
The long term option is Marte, whom we could have until 2008 if we excercize our two options on him. He has been shaky when given the closer's job however, but that is also because he has been brought in during the highest leverage situations. He has also gotten out of some huge jams too however.

ClaudelSleptHere
08-14-2004, 01:40 AM
The long term option is Marte, whom we could have until 2008 if we excercize our two options on him. He has been shaky when given the closer's job however, but that is also because he has been brought in during the highest leverage situations. He has also gotten out of some huge jams too however.
What exactly is a "high leverage" situation? I hope you're not saying that Marte will be a good closer as long as they don't use him in tight games.

Mohoney
08-14-2004, 01:42 AM

Lip

Welcome back, Lip. We're gonna take this damn thing.

Just have faith.

Jurr
08-14-2004, 01:43 AM
I think the high leverage situations are those that occur when a reliever is brought into the game with runners already in scoring position and a 1 or 2 run lead. That's tough. Most closers are brought in for the 9th to face a new inning.

And, yes, pitching with ducks on the pond is a tough situation. You can't pitch around a guy very much like that.

Jurr
08-14-2004, 01:44 AM
Keep it up, guys. I am loving the positive vibes.

With our starting rotation, all we need is a little offensive consistency. Not 8 or 9 runs...4 or 5. If we can do that, and with the talent we have that is no stretch, we can easily pull this thing off.

MRKARNO
08-14-2004, 01:44 AM
What exactly is a "high leverage" situation? I hope you're not saying that Marte will be a good closer as long as they don't use him in tight games.
I'm just saying that his blown save total is disproportionately high because he has always been called upon when we're on the verge of blowing a lead. A lot of times, he has pulled us out of a blown save situation with his stellar pitching as well.

Gimm
08-14-2004, 01:57 AM
Keep it up, guys. I am loving the positive vibes.

Not 8 or 9 runs...4 or 5. If we can do that, and with the talent we have that is no stretch, we can easily pull this thing off.We have black holes at 3B and RF. Also, this team is helpless against even mediocre LHP.

We need hitting. As in, more than 1 waiver deal.

The absolute WORST thing that can happen is Sox brass deluding themseleves (as they have been as of a few weeks back when Sox took 1st place before hosting Minnesota) into thinking that the line-up as it is now is anything bettter than below-average and therefore needs no saving.

Ok, once Everett, Robbie and Valentin get back on track, it will be average. But we need it to to be well above-average in order to slug our way back into 1st place and make life easier on the starting rotation and the pen.

Mohoney
08-14-2004, 01:58 AM
I'm just saying that his blown save total is disproportionately high because he has always been called upon when we're on the verge of blowing a lead. A lot of times, he has pulled us out of a blown save situation with his stellar pitching as well.

You're right, but I don't think anyone is doubting Marte's ability. We're wondering whether or not he can stay healthy under a heavy workload.

Shingo, Marte, and Politte have been relied upon EVERY TIME we have a lead. We don't have a viable 4th option to shoulder the burden with Marte and Politte.

I think that Kelly Wunsch can be that 4th option, but apparantly Kenny Williams doesn't. Therefore, I yield to Kenny's judgement. If Kenny feels that Wunsch can't hack it in the big leagues, then solve the problem another way, perhaps by acquiring Ron Villone.

I just think that we are leaning too heavily on Marte, Politte, and Shingo. Plus, we have only 2 more off days the rest of the season. Bullpen help is an absolute necessity at this point.

BigHurt359300
08-19-2004, 12:53 PM

How could u want Torri "Mr. Im from the hood" Hunter

We have Aaron Rowand, Torri is getting older slower and hes not hitting well this year. His defense is still pretty damn good

But so is Rowand's D, He has a higher average and OBP and a better contract

I would take Torii Hunter no days of the week
Aaron is our guy

MRKARNO
08-19-2004, 01:07 PM
You're right, but I don't think anyone is doubting Marte's ability. We're wondering whether or not he can stay healthy under a heavy workload.

He was pretty darn healthy last year when he posted a 1.58 ERA in 79 IP, while this year he's only posted a 3.21