PDA

View Full Version : Drama in "Cubbie Land"

RKMeibalane
08-13-2004, 04:37 PM
Sosa vs. Baker (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1858664)

DumpJerry
08-13-2004, 04:50 PM
Ok....let's all give Mr. Sosa a hug to show that at least WE love him...........it's really hard being him, so misunderstood. I mean, he really did hit puberty after the Sox sent him up there so skinny, it wasn't steroids; he did not mean to cork his bat, it corked itself and he has a modest personality that has resulted in the nickname "Mr. Woodwork" because he fades into it in a room. He's just trying to earn a living to support his family and really does not need these Flub fans booing him. So insulting, being booed by 40,000 people who understand as much about baseball as I do about building nuclear power plants. Really now.

Poor Sammy.:D:

He should demand a trade. To Minnesota. They don't boo. He can strike out to his heart's content and send the Twinks into a major slide to third by Labor Day.:smile:

HomeFish
08-13-2004, 05:50 PM
Hold on, guys. The Cubs are still in first place for the wildcard.

I personally am going to hold my laughing at this until that changes and things get worse for them.

MRKARNO
08-13-2004, 05:55 PM
And falling fast

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-13-2004, 06:27 PM
and losing to the padres

Brian26
08-13-2004, 09:00 PM
And falling fast
Not fast enough for my liking.

cubhater
08-13-2004, 09:07 PM
and losing to the padres
And today to the Dodgers!:D:

Lip Man 1
08-13-2004, 09:10 PM
The booing of him is getting intense at Wrigley. Funny I didn't think Cub fans cared enough about something so mundane as whether or not their players are performing.

Nice to see some 'Sox fans style' may be rubbing off on them.

Lip

Blob
08-13-2004, 09:35 PM
So basically, Sosa got all sensitive after being called sensitive.

zach23
08-13-2004, 09:54 PM
The booing of him is getting intense at Wrigley. Funny I didn't think Cub fans cared enough about something so mundane as whether or not their players are performing.

Lip

I can't remember when the cubs have ever had these kind of expectations placed on them entering a season. In the past, I don't think the cub fans really expected them to go far, they hoped for it, but didn't really believe it possible. Thus, the lovable losers. This year almost everyone in the press was proclaiming them World Series champs before the season even started. Now that the division is lost and they are in a scrum for a wild card spot, the fans are getting testy. Add to that the fact that a good majority of the people packing the place right now are bandwagon jumpers who are looking for the instant gratification. They jumped on during the playoffs last year and expect everything to just fall into place again.
The losers are not lovable anymore.

DumpJerry
08-14-2004, 09:53 AM

Lip
I think you might be missing the point of their boos. Mr. Sensitive is the entertainment they pay the money for. Remember his reasoning for having a corked bat? He said it is so he cab hit dramatic dingers during BP to excite the kids watching. Look at how he takes the field, a complete showboat. So, when he strikes out, there is no entertainment value because he does not hop like a drunk bunny to the dugout afterwards......

Don't call him sensitive, he's a $17,000,000 guy with feelings.:smile:

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-14-2004, 10:02 AM
I can't remember when the cubs have ever had these kind of expectations placed on them entering a season. In the past, I don't think the cub fans really expected them to go far, they hoped for it, but didn't really believe it possible. Thus, the lovable losers. This year almost everyone in the press was proclaiming them World Series champs before the season even started. Now that the division is lost and they are in a scrum for a wild card spot, the fans are getting testy. Add to that the fact that a good majority of the people packing the place right now are bandwagon jumpers who are looking for the instant gratification. They jumped on during the playoffs last year and expect everything to just fall into place again.
I think the term "Lovable Losers" originated when the cubs started losing real bad every year..and after they lost their fans loved them even more for some wierd reason..."ohh...they lost..we love them even more....?":kukoo:

bigfoot
08-14-2004, 11:02 AM
A bit before your time, but 1969 was a memorable year for LL fans. The remarkable run by the Mets in Aug/Sept that year caused LL fans to get very destructive. They heaped piles of hate upon the Cobz and even some of the Cobz business interests. I seem to recall Santo having a part in a small chain of pizza parlors that started catching on fire. That was the last time that LL fans reacted like they do today. Of course it was near the end of the line for several of the better players of the day. There was expectations of greatness, much like this season's predictions. Alas, somethings just don't change. But anyone can have a bad century!

soxwon
08-14-2004, 11:57 PM
JUST SUPOSE WE LOSE MAGGS, AND WE GET sosa FROM THE CUBS.

would you boo him? or welcome him?

StillMissOzzie
08-15-2004, 12:18 AM

Whether we lose Maggs or not, I do NOT want Sosa back in a SOx uni. Ever.

SMO

wilburwood
08-15-2004, 12:43 AM
The very thought of sosa in a Sox uniform and my eye started twitching...
No thanks keep the bunny hop and blowing kisses where it belongs up north

soxinthecity
08-15-2004, 10:24 AM
what get's me is the love most still have for this guy, listening to sports radio you hear comments like,

he help bring back baseball with the homerun chase.
he's hit back to back 40 hr seasons.
don't boo him, keep cheering him, he needs your support (huh?)
(Here's an idea don't cheer or boo be silent.)
and so on.

here's my take,
mgmt has always done just enough to stay afloat now that the expectations are high they need to spend an yes they've spent well,
but it's no longer sammy's show it's team ball now and his selfishness will only hurt not help.

who's running this circus dusty or sammy?

move him if he pouts oh well, they games will go on, he gets paid whether he bats 4th, 6th or benched.

what he's done in the past has got nothing to do with today, right now thats whats important they need to win now and not wait till this boob gets going again which i don't believe will happen, so put him at 6th or 7th if he's still cold bench him period.

you got other guy's on this team that can perform, when they miss the post season because dusty was afraid to upset sammy it'll be wait till next year again and cubs fans have dusty and themselves to blame for continuing to support this slug.

and yes they'll have this as there excuse and yes the crowds will be there again next to support dusty and this shelfish boob.

how many of you wish you can get away with sub performance at work and still get praised or if demoted can still keep your full pay.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-15-2004, 10:45 AM
what get's me is the love most still have for this guy, listening to sports radio you hear comments like,

he help bring back baseball with the homerun chase.
he's hit back to back 40 hr seasons.
don't boo him, keep cheering him, he needs your support (huh?)
(Here's an idea don't cheer or boo be silent.)
and so on.

here's my take,
mgmt has always done just enough to stay afloat now that the expectations are high they need to spend an yes they've spent well,
but it's no longer sammy's show it's team ball now and his selfishness will only hurt not help.

who's running this circus dusty or sammy?

move him if he pouts oh well, they games will go on, he gets paid whether he bats 4th, 6th or benched.

what he's done in the past has got nothing to do with today, right now thats whats important they need to win now and not wait till this boob gets going again which i don't believe will happen, so put him at 6th or 7th if he's still cold bench him period.

you got other guy's on this team that can perform, when they miss the post season because dusty was afraid to upset sammy it'll be wait till next year again and cubs fans have dusty and themselves to blame for continuing to support this slug.

and yes they'll have this as there excuse and yes the crowds will be there again next to support dusty and this shelfish boob.

how many of you wish you can get away with sub performance at work and still get praised or if demoted can still keep your full pay.
Yea man i totally agree about that shammy thing you takled about. Welcome Aboard!:bandance:

bigfoot
08-15-2004, 01:01 PM
Fortunately, for Scammin' Sammy Soso, Todd Hollingsworth's injury ties Dusty Toothpick's hands regarding what to do with SSS.

Watching Soso's last at bat Sat was a humorous display of trying to cut down his swing, just make contact, and still missing badly.

LOL:rolling:

PatK
08-18-2004, 11:19 AM
Brian26 speaks the correct.

Whitesox029
08-18-2004, 11:29 AM

I personally am going to hold my laughing at this until that changes and things get worse for them.Most fortunately and perhaps coincidentally, I own little league hats from most of the NL clubs that have given, are giving, or hopefully will give the flubs trouble, namely St. Louis, Florida, San Diego, and San Francisco. I also have a Royals hat that doesn't come in to play very often, needless to say.

SOXSINCE'70
08-18-2004, 12:19 PM

SMO
I agree!!

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-18-2004, 12:31 PM

SMO
gahhhhh :chunks

bobj4400
08-18-2004, 12:46 PM

I wouldnt support the White Sox again until he was gone.

jackbrohamer
08-18-2004, 01:50 PM
There are so many many reasons why the Sox would never get Sosa back it's hard to know where to start.