PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else worried about "the count" getting his ass handed to him tonite?

habibharu
08-13-2004, 05:13 PM
he has been TERRIBLE is his career against the bosox. Hes got an ERA over 20! hopefully that is also a part of the pressure that comes from playing for the yanks.

Soxzilla
08-13-2004, 05:14 PM
I'm worried, yes. But I think he'll do fine.

owensmouth
08-13-2004, 05:15 PM
I'm not worried at all. I'm praying that Bonnie and Charlie wash out the entire series.

Mickster
08-13-2004, 05:24 PM
I'm not worried at all. I'm praying that Bonnie and Charlie wash out the entire series.Don't hope for rain. With 2 remaining days off all season and a 4 man rotation, a rain-out is the last thing in the world that that the Sox need now..... :(:

margiss
08-13-2004, 05:35 PM
This weekend is key! We need at least 2 with the Indians winning at least 2 to tighten things up a bit.

Hey Fisk may be 27 in the HOF, but tonight let's hope for the spirit of good old 72 to emerge. That's a Sox winner . . . White that is :rolleyes:

Go Sox!!!

doublem23
08-13-2004, 05:39 PM
No.

CHISOXFAN13
08-13-2004, 05:41 PM
Don't hope for rain. With 2 remaining days off all season and a 4 man rotation, a rain-out is the last thing in the world that that the Sox need now..... :(:

Don't mind him. He's just been doing his best Home Fish impersonation for weeks.

OEO Magglio
08-13-2004, 05:52 PM
Not worried at all about Jose, worried about the offense though.

CHISOXFAN13
08-13-2004, 05:54 PM
Not worried at all about Jose, worried about the offense though.

A lot of guys in our lineup, Everett, Lee and Rowand, to name a few, have had success against Wakefield. Let's hope that continues tonight.

Mohoney
08-13-2004, 05:54 PM
I'm not worried about Contreras. I think we'll score enough off Wakefield to help Contreras out.

I'm more worried about how we will even come close to scoring against Curt Schilling. All I know is that Joe Crede better not be playing Saturday.

hi8is
08-13-2004, 06:03 PM
in my dreams last night, the count gave up 9 ER in the bottom of the 2nd

eek

AddisonStSox
08-13-2004, 06:41 PM
I think Contreras will do fine...but not fine enough to earn a start on my fantasy baseball squad.

MRKARNO
08-13-2004, 06:51 PM
I think he'll be fine, but I dont think he'll dominate like he did the other times he has pithced. I wouldnt be upset with 7 IP 4 ER. I just want to see him have some success at Fenway. A great start would be an added bonus. Wakefield is coming off that 6 HR given up in that crazy win so maybe we can get to him as well in the best offensive park in the AL this year.

RKMeibalane
08-13-2004, 06:52 PM
Nope.

balke
08-13-2004, 06:52 PM
I think the count goes 8 innings giving up one run due to errors, then the bullpen blows it in the ninth....

jeremyb1
08-13-2004, 08:07 PM
When you're not at all concerned about your pitcher with an ERA over five struggling against a strong offensive club, you need a bit of a reality check. As for the theory that Contreras consistently struggles against patience clubs, his 4 BBs in 2 IP (on top of his 6 BBs in 4.1 IP vs. Boston in his career prior to tonight) don't bode all that well so far. It's a virtually irrelevant sample size so let's just hope its a fluke.

Gimm
08-13-2004, 08:24 PM
When you're not at all concerned about your pitcher with an ERA over five struggling against a strong offensive club, you need a bit of a reality check. As for the theory that Contreras consistently struggles against patience clubs, his 4 BBs in 2 IP (on top of his 6 BBs in 4.1 IP vs. Boston in his career prior to tonight) don't bode all that well so far. It's a virtually irrelevant sample size so let's just hope its a fluke.
When he gets his splitter over, he'll shut anybody down, Boston including.

When he doesn't, AAA teams will T off on him.

Don Cooper has to start earning his salary.

HomeFish
08-13-2004, 08:34 PM

I would argue that Don Cooper has been one of the few on this team who consistently earn their salary.

Daver
08-13-2004, 08:47 PM
This from a person that thinks the Sox owe him a winner because he follows the team.

LMAO!

Gimm
08-13-2004, 08:50 PM
This from a person that thinks the Sox owe him a winner because he follows the team.

LMAO!

Meh.

Gimm
08-13-2004, 08:50 PM
I would argue that Don Cooper has been one of the few on this team who consistently earn their salary.
Argue away.

fquaye149
08-13-2004, 09:25 PM
Argue away.
well why argue something when you know you're right?

no one has to defend the position that the earth is round.

S.S. Lumber Yard
08-13-2004, 09:40 PM
8 K's 4 Earned Runs, we got a good one in the Count. :)

Daver
08-13-2004, 09:42 PM
Meh.
This is exactly the type of response I expected out of you.

Go figure.

Gimm
08-13-2004, 09:42 PM
well why argue something when you know you're right?

no one has to defend the position that the earth is round.
Yeah, I am sure that's it...Uh-huh. :rolleyes:

Blob
08-13-2004, 10:37 PM
he has been TERRIBLE is his career against the bosox. Hes got an ERA over 20! hopefully that is also a part of the pressure that comes from playing for the yanks.
Do you have your answer now?

S.S. Lumber Yard
08-13-2004, 10:38 PM
JOSE is 2-0, 3.15 ERA, and 20 K's with da Sox!! :)

pczarapa
08-13-2004, 10:39 PM
Nah, I bet he only lets up four runs over six innings

Gimm
08-13-2004, 10:46 PM
This is exactly the type of response I expected out of you.

As if your non-sequitur warranted a response other than a generic 'meh'.

How do you say...."LMAO"?

:cheers:

Gimm
08-13-2004, 10:49 PM
JOSE is 2-0, 3.15 ERA, and 20 K's with da Sox!! :)Don't forget that if Timo doesn't turn an out into a "triple" and if the ump makes the right call on the pick-off....that's 2 ER less.

His "deserved" ERA is about 2.70.

Daver
08-13-2004, 10:55 PM
As if your non-sequitur warranted a response other than a generic 'meh'.

Translation; I had nothing to say as a comeback at the time.

Most of what you post deserves nothing more than a "meh"

But we won't go into details.

Mohoney
08-13-2004, 11:16 PM
I'm not a Cooper fan, either. I don't have a soft spot for retread coaches. But Gimm has to back his argument a little better.

If you backed it with something like our very mediocre team ERA, Garland's regression from last year to this, the fact that Billy Koch is lights-out in Florida when he was doo-doo here, or our young pitchers having absolutely no game plan when they take the hill as our 5th starter, then I could treat your comments seriously.

Without backing up your argument, it just looks like you're using Cooper as a scapegoat. Therefore, you will get attacked.

Soxzilla
08-13-2004, 11:18 PM
I'm not a Cooper fan, either. I don't have a soft spot for retread coaches. But Gimm has to back his argument a little better.

If you backed it with something like our very mediocre team ERA, Garland's regression from last year to this, the fact that Billy Koch is lights-out in Florida when he was doo-doo here, or our young pitchers having absolutely no game plan when they take the hill as our 5th starter, then I could treat your comments seriously.

Without backing up your argument, it just looks like you're using Cooper as a scapegoat. Therefore, you will get attacked.
Don't forget loaiza's fall from grace and the fact he was afraid to pitch inside!:rolleyes:

fquaye149
08-14-2004, 08:16 AM
Yeah, I am sure that's it...Uh-huh. :rolleyes:
is this first grade, or is it the third?

it's been so long i've forgotten the semantics of 7-year old and 9-year old argumentation

doublem23
08-14-2004, 08:45 AM
When you're not at all concerned about your pitcher with an ERA over five struggling against a strong offensive club, you need a bit of a reality check.
6 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 5 BB, 8 K

Good call me, RK, and anyone else who said no.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_425747.jpg
I am so much better than Esteban Loaiza... Man, Kenny, what a deal you pulled off.

owensmouth
08-14-2004, 12:32 PM
6 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 5 BB, 8 K

Good call me, RK, and anyone else who said no.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_425747.jpg
I am so much better than Esteban Loaiza... Man, Kenny, what a deal you pulled off.
5 walks in six innings? What last night's game showed was how terrible the Red Sox are as a team. We won, I'm delighted, but Contreras deserved no better than a no decision last night. The game should have been awarded to the bullpen.

balke
08-14-2004, 01:06 PM
DOnt' be like that. This is just pay back for last outing where the bullpen stole a win FROM Jose! Bexides, how many pitchers pitch like 40 pitches in the second, and go on to finish 6 innings of work?

Jose beat the Red Sox, is hiding the ball much better, and HAD HE THROWN FASTBALLS, would've looked absolutely unstoppable out there. Granted he threw some that went yard, but had those come earlier in the count he'd have looked much better last night