PDA

View Full Version : Cubs want Jose Valentin???

the_valenstache
08-13-2004, 01:50 PM
Normally I steer clear of the Tribune's Cubs blurbs, but this caught my eye:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-040812cubsbits,1,3823230.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Injury update

Aramis Ramirez tweaked his groin injury early in the game and is day-to-day again. The Cubs can't afford to go without Ramirez, especially with Todd Hollandsworth's future uncertain. The Cubs hope to get Hollandsworth back this year, but no one knows for sure if his nerve problem will heal before the season ends.

"It's hard to replace that bat," manager Dusty Baker said. "He's one of the best around at that. He can look, but I don't know if anybody is giving it up. It might be in our minor leagues. I don't know. Are we going to replace that bat, or just go as we are. I'd love to have Hollandsworth back. Right now it's looking like possibly September, I hope."

The Cubs are looking for another bat with some power to come off the bench. White Sox switch-hitter Jose Valentin could become available if the Sox fall out of the race and Hollandsworth is still out.

"Every team is in need of something," Baker said. "It's just not that easy to go out and get a guy of that quality.

Baker seems to have a special affinity with power hitters who can strike out 4 times a game.

How about a Jose Valentine for Kerry Woods trade? (Should probably be in pink, as well).

Baby Fisk
08-13-2004, 01:51 PM
This must drive Nomar Garciaparra out of his mind. :cool:

SOXSINCE'70
08-13-2004, 02:18 PM
Normally I steer clear of the Tribune's Cubs blurbs, but this caught my eye:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-040812cubsbits,1,3823230.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Baker seems to have a special affinity with power hitters who can strike out 4 times a game.

How about a Jose Valentine for Kerry Woods trade? (Should probably be in pink, as well).
How about Valentin for Pryor and Zambrano??:D: :D:

calderon
08-13-2004, 02:21 PM
Valentin for Wellmeyer???

SomebodyToldMe
08-13-2004, 02:22 PM
Valentin for Nomar.

This isn't in teal nor is it in pink.

RKMeibalane
08-13-2004, 02:26 PM
If the Cubs want Valentin, then they can have him. I've seen enough of Jose, and I think the time has come for the Sox to move in a different direction at shortstop. Edgar Renteria will be availible in the off-season. JR should make every effort to sign him. If that doesn't work, Juan Uribe should inherit the position. He is young, and he has the talent to become of the best shortstops in baseball. Either way, the Sox need to begin reconfiguring their roster. The days of living and dying by the home run need to end. This team has had its chances to win, and they have been successful only once. The Sox would do well to take on a different identity by the time next season begins.

Huisj
08-13-2004, 02:33 PM
Let's trade them Valentine instead, he hardly plays at all here, and then we'll still have Valentin for the rest of the year plus whoever we get from the cubs. It'll be like the Berry/Barry trade with LA, but in our favor.

Joel Perez
08-13-2004, 02:34 PM
Valentin for Nomar.

Normally, I would agree with this, but A) that achilles' tendon of his is a yellow-flag to me, and B) he's 30+ years of age...we have to start to wonder how many more years he has left at SS, and C) would he actually sign with the South Siders???

Otherwise, I'm with you on this one. He would be a great #2 hitter on this team!

habibharu
08-13-2004, 02:34 PM
If the Cubs want Valentin, then they can have him. I've seen enough of Jose, and I think the time has come for the Sox to move in a different direction at shortstop. Edgar Renteria will be availible in the off-season. JR should make every effort to sign him. If that doesn't work, Juan Uribe should inherit the position. He is young, and he has the talent to become of the best shortstops in baseball. Either way, the Sox need to begin reconfiguring their roster. The days of living and dying by the home run need to end. This team has had its chances to win, and they have been successful only once. The Sox would do well to take on a different identity by the time next season begins. i dont think that uribe is anything more than a utility player

jabrch
08-13-2004, 02:41 PM
Valentin for Wellmeyer???
If we are bailing on the season, I'd do that in a heartbeat. The problem is that their pen already sucks - and Wellemeyer would be hard for them to trade. But I'd take a guy like Andy Sisco or Ryu for him. May not be ready for a few years - but a good young arm can never hurt in the farm system.

JoseCanseco6969
08-13-2004, 02:42 PM
If the Cubs want Valentin, then they can have him. I've seen enough of Jose, and I think the time has come for the Sox to move in a different direction at shortstop. Edgar Renteria will be availible in the off-season. JR should make every effort to sign him. If that doesn't work, Juan Uribe should inherit the position. He is young, and he has the talent to become of the best shortstops in baseball. Either way, the Sox need to begin reconfiguring their roster. The days of living and dying by the home run need to end. This team has had its chances to win, and they have been successful only once. The Sox would do well to take on a different identity by the time next season begins.
The cubs can have him for a bag of balls for all i care. He's all they need to increase their K's and solo homer stats that they love over there at the urinal

Jerome
08-13-2004, 02:44 PM
Valentin for Nomar.

What the Hell does that mean

Tekijawa
08-13-2004, 02:45 PM
If they need me to drive him over to Wrigley I'm available...

the_valenstache
08-13-2004, 02:50 PM
Valentin for Nomar.

I have an extreme interest in what it is that you are smoking and where I can obtain afformentioned smokeable substance.

kojak
08-13-2004, 03:19 PM
Let's just swap infields with them:

They take Crede, Valentin, Uribe and Konerko
and we get Ramirez, Nomar, Walker and DLee

and we will even throw in Harris!
and Mike Jackson

How could they pass on that deal?

Huisj
08-13-2004, 03:20 PM
I've noticed something here recently. There are so many new people that it seems lots of people are confused about what teal, deeppink, and :dtroll: mean. Anyone else been noticing this too? :(:

the_valenstache
08-13-2004, 03:30 PM
I've noticed something here recently. There are so many new people that it seems lots of people are confused about what teal, deeppink, and :dtroll: mean. Anyone else been noticing this too? :(:

Font color crimes of the highest order, along with misspelling names such as Valentin or Buehrle, should be punished by gardenhose public floggings at the hands of Ron Kittle.

How's that for teal? :D:

Baby Fisk
08-13-2004, 03:34 PM
I've noticed something here recently. There are so many new people that it seems lots of people are confused about what teal, deeppink, and :dtroll: mean. Anyone else been noticing this too? :(: Agreed.

I'm probably guilty myself of misusing teal. I sometimes put jokey comments in teal, even tho they aren't necessarily sarcastic.

The Trolls are out of control. But that's understandable since they are so cuddly!

cornball
08-13-2004, 03:39 PM
i dont think that uribe is anything more than a utility player
I agree with that about Uribe. I don't see the Cubs wanting JV, their lineup strikes out too much as it is right now.

In my view, Valentin has been the most overrated player on the Sox for years. I can't wait until he leaves.

wdelaney72
08-13-2004, 03:49 PM
I'm all for ANY thread that advocates JV leaving the Sox.

NonetheLoaiza
08-13-2004, 03:59 PM
The days of living and dying by the home run need to end. This team has had its chances to win, and they have been successful only once. The Sox would do well to take on a different identity by the time next season begins.
I couldn't agree with this more. We should unload Valentin and another power hitter (paulie) or two. We have tried the long ball for about 3 or 4 years now and it hasn't payed off. We hit alot of home runs in 2000, but thats not what helped us win the division. We played findamental baseball, and I think the Sox need to go get guys' who's stats may not have that familiar power tint to it.

habibharu
08-13-2004, 04:02 PM
How about Valentin for Pryor and Zambrano??:D: :D:
man, i would be ALL over that deal! richard pryor is HILARIOUS! what the hell does sky blue mean?

owensmouth
08-13-2004, 04:10 PM
I couldn't agree with this more. We should unload Valentin and another power hitter (paulie) or two. We have tried the long ball for about 3 or 4 years now and it hasn't payed off. We hit alot of home runs in 2000, but thats not what helped us win the division. We played findamental baseball, and I think the Sox need to go get guys' who's stats may not have that familiar power tint to it.
Three or four years, my my, that's a long time... Let me remind you, we tried going the other route from 1919 until (according to you) 2000. All it brought was woe.

Oh yeah, I remember 1959. Believe me, the strengths of 1959 cannot be equaled by a Juan Uribe, a Willie Harris, or any catcher currently on the Sox roster.

Our infield stinks. The only player who has approached what was expected of him consistantly this year is Konerko. The remainder of them are the primary reason for the collapse of the White Sox over the past two months.

misty60481
08-13-2004, 04:23 PM
Dont forget in 1959 we were in Old Comiskey not exactly a hitters park we had to have a team made up of pitching and speed now the Cell is a hitters park so we have to go with more power, We were doing fine until we lost Frank & Maggs with the team we had

DumpJerry
08-13-2004, 04:31 PM
Look, we can package Valentin, Borchard and Jackson to the Flubs for Clement, Mr. Sensitive (formerly known as Shammy) and Ramirez. They are dumb enough to do this. We then trade Mr. Sensitive to Minnesota for Hunter so he can strike out all the time up there and cause them to win 10 more games for the remainder of the season. I used to live in Minnesota, they are very polite and do not boo poor performances. Mr. Sensitive is a god match.:smile:

hold2dibber
08-13-2004, 04:59 PM
Well, the problem isn't that the Sox hit too many home runs; I'm pretty sure the Yankees lead the league in homers and that's not exactly ruining their season. The problem is not enough base runners. They need guys who supplement the big bats by getting on base a lot. Those kind of guys would turn a bunch of the Sox' solo shots into 2 and 3 run blasts AND would generate runs without the need for homers.

People who think the Sox should just dump their power hitters are nuts. What they need to do is to find better table setters (i.e., keep Frank, Paulie, Everett, Lee, get high(er) OBP guys at 3B, 2B, SS, C).

the_valenstache
08-13-2004, 05:01 PM
man, i would be ALL over that deal! richard pryor is HILARIOUS! what the hell does sky blue mean?
:rolling:

ma_deuce
08-14-2004, 10:27 AM
I would trade Valentin to the Cubs in a second, but only for a bag of balls. Call me superstitious, but Cubs players are just as cursed as their team is. Bringing them to the Southside would only bring about doom (ala Mike Jackson)...

...that and it would invite a dangerous element into our nice, safe Bridgeport. Those Cubs fans are gun toting maniacs! :D:

PorkChopExpress
08-14-2004, 10:49 AM
People who think the Sox should just dump their power hitters are nuts. What they need to do is to find better table setters (i.e., keep Frank, Paulie, Everett, Lee, get high(er) OBP guys at 3B, 2B, SS, C).
How do you get good tabel setters without giving a few of these guys up? Trade for Crede and Harris?

JB98
08-14-2004, 11:58 AM
How do you get good tabel setters without giving a few of these guys up? Trade for Crede and Harris?
Short answer: Free agency.

Going back to the article, did anyone else notice that the Cubune referred to Valentin as a switch-hitter? Seriously, I sometimes wonder if media members even watch our games....

SOXROX02
08-14-2004, 12:24 PM
Of course they don't, that's why we get little 4th page snipits. Honestly, sometimes I can't even find the Sox report.

SOXSINCE'70
08-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Check out the "Paul Ledewski:Required Reading" post.:cool: :cool: