PDA

View Full Version : 1994 - Finish to the Unfinished Season

BLRMKRdave
08-13-2004, 09:54 AM
White Sox lose in dramatic fashion....funny read that of course has a positive Cubs slant to it in the national media.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/040812

~BLRMKRdave

zach23
08-13-2004, 10:04 AM
I want the time back that I just wasted reading that.

samram
08-13-2004, 11:08 AM
If you want to see a more realistic version of what could have happened, click here (http://www.whatifsports.com/mlb94/).

SOXSINCE'70
08-13-2004, 12:05 PM
White Sox lose in dramatic fashion....funny read that of course has a positive Cubs slant to it in the national media.

~BLRMKRdave
:threadblows:

SOXSINCE'70
08-13-2004, 12:12 PM
If you want to see a more realistic version of what could have happened, click here (http://www.whatifsports.com/mlb94/).
That '94 Expos team was loaded with talent.Pedro(SP),Wettland(closer),Larry Walker,Moises Alou (was he peeing on his hands back then?:D: ),Marquis Griisom.
I wonder how the '94 Sox would have faired against them.

P.S.- Guess who was a bench coach on that '94 Expos team??
"Gandhi" Manuel!!!:rolling: :rolling:

Frater Perdurabo
08-13-2004, 12:21 PM

Thomas finished the season batting .358 with 55 homeruns and 148 runs batted in. These numbers were the best in the league for batting average and RBIs, but only second best in HRs behind Griffey Jr.'s record-tying 61. Carl Yaztremski's 1967 year still remains the last Triple Crown.

Wow. That was excellent. Even if the Sox didn't make it to the Series in 94, they still would be poised to make another strong run in 95 without having subtracted the best parts (McDowell, et. al) and replaced them with John Kruk and Chris Sabo. A strong run in 95 and 96 might have convinced them to sign Clemens as a free agent. Also, if Griffey hit 61 taters in 94, there would not have been such a fuss over McGwire and Sosa's chase in 98, and Thomas, not Sosa, would be the dominant sports hero in Chicago. Shame...

mantis1212
08-13-2004, 12:55 PM
I swear I thought the reallignment happened for the 95 season, not the 94 season. I guess I was wrong.

samram
08-13-2004, 02:26 PM
Wow. That was excellent. Even if the Sox didn't make it to the Series in 94, they still would be poised to make another strong run in 95 without having subtracted the best parts (McDowell, et. al) and replaced them with John Kruk and Chris Sabo. A strong run in 95 and 96 might have convinced them to sign Clemens as a free agent. Also, if Griffey hit 61 taters in 94, there would not have been such a fuss over McGwire and Sosa's chase in 98, and Thomas, not Sosa, would be the dominant sports hero in Chicago. Shame...
That site is really fun and addicting. You can create teams of any players you want, or take teams from any year and match them up, in any major sport, including college. They also have sim leagues, if normal fantasy baseball isn't enough for you.

samram
08-13-2004, 02:29 PM
I swear I thought the reallignment happened for the 95 season, not the 94 season. I guess I was wrong.
Well, it's easy to forget since they didn't finish the season. That was the most fun baseball summer of my life, and Frank was the most dominant offensive player I had seen. What really sucks is that McDowell and Fernandez were just hitting their stride at the time of the strike.

AnkleSox
08-13-2004, 03:57 PM
I hate remembering how much Frank, the Sox, and their fans all got screwed. :whiner:

SOXROX02
08-14-2004, 11:52 AM
I was 5 when the 1994 season went caput, so I didn't know anything odd had happened that year til I read Through Hope and Despair two years ago, and even then, I didnt know we had a formidable team until today! That's really kinda depressing! I'm gonna go cry now.
:whiner:

;)

VA_GoGoSox
08-15-2004, 02:40 PM
I hate remembering how much Frank, the Sox, and their fans all got screwed. :whiner:
I was so damn mad that I didn't watch or pay any attention to baseball for about 5 years. And just because I'm back as a fan doesn't mean that I've forgiven those a-holes -- It just means that baseball is too great a game for me to stay away.

SoxFan76
08-15-2004, 03:04 PM
That site is cool. I just did a sim with the '59 Sox against the '03 Cubs. Sox win 3-0, Early Wynn holds the Cubs to 1 hit. Aparicio and Billy Goodman each hit home runs off Mark Prior.

C-Dawg
08-16-2004, 08:13 PM
Regarding the '94 season - anyone remember how the show "Dateline NBC" carried baseball updates for the remainder of the season, based on their computer data and insight from baseball experts? They predicted, or forecast the Yankees winning the Series in 1994, which should surprise no one since the NY based shows usually think the world ends at the Hudson River. But the especially irksome part of their fantasy was how they pitted the damn CLEVELAND INDIANS against them in the AL championship!! Somehow their stupid computer data didn't see the Sox winning the Central that year!

Whitesox029
08-18-2004, 11:48 AM

~BLRMKRdave Matt Williams had 43. Griffey, Jr. was right behind him at 40. Jeff Bagwell was at 39, Frank Thomas 38, Barry Bonds 37, Albert Belle 36 and Fred McGriff was closing in with 34.

And each slugger had nearly 50 games to play.

So here's what happened in Page 2's parallel universe ...

We know already that Griffey, Jr., fell short of 61 because of his record 62 muscle pulls. With Junior out of the picture, it came down to Williams, Bonds and McGriff in a battle to the end. I love how it says Thomas had 1 more HR than Bonds and 4 more than McGriff, and yet, it closes without an explanation of what happened to Thomas or why "it came down to Williams, Bonds and McGriff" but not Big Hurt. Yet another slight on the Sox.

Deadguy
08-18-2004, 02:06 PM
I remember feeling hurt and abandonded when the strike hit in 1994. I was comforted, however, by the fact that we had a strong nucleus of great starting pitcher and key position players. I envisioned us going on a run much like the Braves have had.

What happened in 1995 felt like a slap in the face, and that is when the bitterness of the lost 1994 season really began to hit. I was absolutely devastated by what happened that season. 1997, 2001, 2003..... nothing compares to the disappointment I felt in 1995.

Cubsuck_a_lot
08-18-2004, 03:26 PM
That site is cool. I just did a sim with the '59 Sox against the '03 Cubs. Sox win 3-0, Early Wynn holds the Cubs to 1 hit. Aparicio and Billy Goodman each hit home runs off Mark Prior.

thats actually pretty sweet. unfortunately it brings up the idea that time travel is the only way to bring a WS to the south side. a flying Delorian would be awesome. where's christopher lloyd when you need him?