PDA

View Full Version : Front page Cubs for losing

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-13-2004, 08:49 AM
Today in the sports section the cubs made the front page of the sports section for losing. The Sox Didnt. In fact the sox score was on "page 3". I think the term "lovable losers" fits the cubs best right now.:angry:

Uncle_Patrick
08-13-2004, 08:51 AM
Welcome to Chicago.

doublem23
08-13-2004, 08:52 AM
In all honesty, I can buy this one. The Cubs are still the NL Wild Card leader and they just lost 2 of 3 to the 2nd place team at home in a wild, 11-inning game. Couple that with the Bears Pre-Season Opener, I wouldn't have expected the Sox to make the Cubune's front page, unless they pulled off a deal for Randy Johnson.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-13-2004, 09:08 AM
In all honesty, I can buy this one. The Cubs are still the NL Wild Card leader and they just lost 2 of 3 to the 2nd place team at home in a wild, 11-inning game. Couple that with the Bears Pre-Season Opener, I wouldn't have expected the Sox to make the Cubune's front page, unless they pulled off a deal for Randy Johnson.
good point

wdelaney72
08-13-2004, 09:21 AM
I totally agree. I can't stand this constant following of the other team.

STOP WORRYING ABOUT THEM. They're contending to make the playoffs (and likely will). They deserve the media coverage. The Sox did this to themselves by royally sucking this year.

Iwritecode
08-13-2004, 10:02 AM
I wouldn't have expected the Sox to make the Cubune's front page, unless they pulled off a deal for Randy Johnson.

That might have pushed them to page 2...

HomeFish
08-13-2004, 10:25 AM
As long as they are losing, they can stay on page one. I love reading about that.

SOXSINCE'70
08-13-2004, 11:55 AM
Today in the sports section the cubs made the front page of the sports section for losing. The Sox Didnt. In fact the sox score was on "page 3". I think the term "lovable losers" fits the cubs best right now.:angry:
Now you know why Sox fans call it the "Cub-Une".:D: :D:

FightingBillini
08-13-2004, 12:20 PM
The single worst display of bias I saw this season was in our walk-off victory against the Angels at home in May. We were a first place club who beat the team which at that time was the best in baseball. We were the second news story on TV and page 2, behind the 4th PLACE CUBS LOSING A DOUBLEHEADER TO THE LAST PLACE PIRATES. Yeah, becuase that was more newsworthy.

I called MJH and commented on that. That fat moron Mac said "becuase there are more cubs fans, they are just catering to the readers.
:hawk "That is BS. That was just plain 'ol BS."
Everyone here should know that there are NOT more Cubs fans than White Sox fans in the Chicago area. Worldwide, countrywide, yes. There are a lot of bandwagon jumpers who claim to be Cubs fans and claim to know a damn thing about baseball. It is clear to us they dont. They wouldnt buy a paper just to read about "their team" anyways.
In terms of actual people who know baseball, our fans probably outnumber theirs 2-1. The Cubune has been feeding us this "Cubs are great. Wrigley is heaven" bull**** for so long, and the absolute retards at the Cub-Times drink it down. I still dont understand why they help put money into their rival's pocket.

Where was the outpouring of Cubs fan love in the early 90's when we routinely outdrew them?
How about when they drew nobody in the 70's and early 80's?
Where was it when 4,000 people came to see Greg Maddux win his first game at wrigley?
This unconditional cub-love bull**** is a creation of the media. If it ever stops, the 9 out of 10 people at the urinal will leave and stop pretending they are Cub fans, let alone baseball fans altogether.

MRKARNO
08-13-2004, 12:39 PM
I 100% agree. The Bears game was inevitably going to be on the front page, the Olympics also had to be on the front page leaving the trib to pick only one game. The Sox game, though it was a close game, was sort of a snoozer for the average fan, with no scoring after the 4th inning and two long rain delays. Also, the Sox are still 5 back and didn't gain any ground

On the other hand, the Cubs game was a more exciting game which featured many lead changes, a game-changing umpire call, a pitching coach getting ejected, and the game also was the difference between the Cubs being three up on San Diego or one up on San Diego. The whole dynamic of the NL Wild Card race was dependent upon this one game.

pudge
08-13-2004, 01:15 PM
These are the kind of complaints that give Sox fans a bad name. As a previous poster in this thread has stated, there are legitimate moments when the bias is blatent. But this is not one of them.

habibharu
08-13-2004, 01:31 PM
come on! how can you blame them for putting the scrubs on the front page? yeah, so what if we won? we beat the freakin royals, we arent in any kind of race, and nothing special happened in the game. the scrubs lost a big game to the team that is chasing them for the wild card, and there was a bad call in the game

the_valenstache
08-13-2004, 01:32 PM
The single worst display of bias I saw this season was in our walk-off victory against the Angels at home in May. We were a first place club who beat the team which at that time was the best in baseball. We were the second news story on TV and page 2, behind the 4th PLACE CUBS LOSING A DOUBLEHEADER TO THE LAST PLACE PIRATES. Yeah, becuase that was more newsworthy.

That doubleheader was amazing, though. Cub implosion at its finest. :smile:

Iwritecode
08-13-2004, 01:53 PM
I called MJH and commented on that. That fat moron Mac said "becuase there are more cubs fans, they are just catering to the readers.

He's right. At this point in time there are more Cubs "fans" (I use that term loosely).

The thing he fails to mention is WHY there are more. Gee, maybe because even in seasons when they lose 100 games they still get front-page coverage?!?

The Cubs are popular because they get a lot of media coverage. Not the other way around...

maurice
08-13-2004, 03:38 PM
The complaint isn't that the cubs loss appeared on the first page. The complaint is that no article concerning the Sox win appeared before the third page.

Significant items appearing before any Sox article, in order of appearance:
- cubs loss game story . . . it's all the umpire's fault
- Greek sprinter skips Olympic drug test
- giant photo of Iraqi soccer players cuddling
- column on Iraqi boxing program
- golf article
- Bears game story
- Bears article
- column on the Acropolis
- column on Olympics broadcast coverage
- Dusty's not mad at Sammy
- article on Glendon Rusch

Similarly, the first seven "top headlines" on chicagosports.com are all cub stories. (Four additional cub stories follow.) I don't have a hard copy of the Sun-Times, but the Sox win is the third story listed on their web site.

maurice
08-13-2004, 03:45 PM
One more general point, Trib coverage of the Sox is overwhelmingly negative, even when the team is doing well. Their cub coverage is the polar opposite, even when the team is in fourth place. For example, anything remotely negative that can be even tenuouly connected to the Sox is a headline backed by one or more negative columns. Negative stories about the cubs (e.g., falling concrete, shootings, fans thrashing the field, etc.) are rarely reported in the sports section, if at all. You need to learn of these things from other outlets.

Today's Southtown (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/131sd4.htm) reports that the cubbie-loving faithful are now giving Sosa the Cory Patterson treatment:

During his 0-for-5, four-strikeout showing against San Diego on Thursday, Sammy Sosa was booed — loudly and often — by the Wrigley Field faithful. Over his last nine games, the Cubs slugger is 4-for-36 (.111). After each out made by Sosa in the Cubs' 5-4, 11-inning loss to the Padres, the booing got louder. "He's very frustrated right now," Cubs manager Dusty Baker said of Sosa. After he struck out in the sixth inning — his third whiff of the game — some TV viewers reported Sosa was caught on camera swearing at the crowd near the Cubs dugout. Sosa refused to talk with the media after the game.
The booing gets a passing mention at the very end of the Trib game story, but surprisingly they made no mention of Sosa's vulgar response.