PDA

View Full Version : Renovations: here come yer damn green seats

inta
08-13-2004, 12:59 AM
not much news aside from the new restaurant behind 1st base.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040812soxbrite,1,4591293.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

yay green seats! we're going to the world series now!

pinwheels3530
08-13-2004, 02:36 AM
I don't see how this benefits the average sox fan. Do they really need another restaurant especially behind the first base side? They could have put it in right field and knocked down more of those billboards!!!!

FightingBillini
08-13-2004, 02:42 AM
This article is a little too sketchy for my liking. Since the trib is the only one reporting it, I would LOVE if the Sox gave them false info. All indications to this point have been that the green seats would be installed by next season. Also, they said the upperdeck in left would be extended and include the fundamentals area. Unless they changed the plans, that is wrong.

ZachAL
08-13-2004, 03:23 AM
I don't see how this benefits the average sox fan. Do they really need another restaurant especially behind the first base side? They could have put it in right field and knocked down more of those billboards!!!!
whats wrong with having another restaurant behind 1st base? It seems as though it wont crowd things up and will give another perk to those who pay the most to see this team EVERYDAY-the season ticket holders. Especially if it pays for itself and brings in more revenue eventually I think it will be nice.

nitetrain8601
08-13-2004, 03:31 AM
That would be awesome if they had dark grey seats. What everyone doesn't want. It'll be the sole reason we don't go to the World Series next year.:D: Plus I have heard nothing about an extension of the upper deck in left field. I think that would overhang the Fundamentals area if that was true which would defeat the purpose as they wanted the kids to be out in the sun and not in some dark corner. Resteraunt idea sounds cool.

oeo
08-13-2004, 03:31 AM
This article is a little too sketchy for my liking. Since the trib is the only one reporting it, I would LOVE if the Sox gave them false info. All indications to this point have been that the green seats would be installed by next season. Also, they said the upperdeck in left would be extended and include the fundamentals area. Unless they changed the plans, that is wrong.
I agree, why would it take an extra 1 to 2 years to install seats...why not just get it all done over one winter...

oeo
08-13-2004, 03:34 AM

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040812soxbrite,1,4591293.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

What's wrong with green seats, they would have to be replaced soon anyway, lets make this park look good. The whole mix between blue and green isn't very pleasing to me.

inta
08-13-2004, 03:38 AM
well i think they mean the upperdeck concourse would extend into the fundamentals area. from the illustration of the new fundamentals area that came out earlier this year, it looked like it was an extension of the uperdeck concourse.
currently the upperdeck concourse ends at a fence overlooking the outfield concourse.

inta
08-13-2004, 03:40 AM
I agree, why would it take an extra 1 to 2 years to install seats...why not just get it all done over one winter...
well i think they'd have to actually order them and have them made.

ChiSoxBobette
08-13-2004, 07:35 AM

Yeah , just what exactly is the obsession with the green seats.

SaltyPretzel
08-13-2004, 08:22 AM
I'm confused about where this restaurant will be located. Would it be at field level? :?:

Baby Fisk
08-13-2004, 08:57 AM
Where's the carousel?

Kilroy
08-13-2004, 08:59 AM
Yeah , just what exactly is the obsession with the green seats.
Oh please, don't get them started.

mrwag
08-13-2004, 09:03 AM
As it stands now, with the new color scheme in the park, the blue seats look like an eye-sore. The seats are worn and need replaced, why not make it look right in the process? You gotta admit the bright blue doesn't go with the dark green/dark grey color scheme that's been rolled in. What's wrong with a little eye candy at the ballpark?

Deadguy
08-13-2004, 09:08 AM
Best White Sox related news I've heard all year. Aesthetically pleasing to the eye, and gives us one of the most beautiful parks in all of baseball.

Take that Stade d'Olympique. :bandance:

Bobby Thigpen
08-13-2004, 10:08 AM
I too have been a critic of the obsession with green seats, but after visiting Coors Field last week (not at the Cubs games thank God) I would agree that if the seats are being replaced they better be green. It would make the park absolutely beautiful since they have already moved to a green and grey color scheme anyway.

Huisj
08-13-2004, 10:11 AM
I figured out why I like the blue seats more and more. In 1990, I went to a game at the old park when I was a little kid, and my sister and I both got a pair of sox sunglasses because that was the promotional thing that day. Frames were black, and the sides that go over your ear were blue--the same color blue as the seats. They were real cool! Anyway, I think somehow the current color sceme blue and dark gray reminds me of those sunglasses and brings back wonderful childhood memories. haha

no seriously, i do like the blue. . . i'm one of the few i guess

mantis1212
08-13-2004, 10:16 AM
I agree- Another restaurant- a private one at that- is totally unnecessary. We have the bullpen bar, the stadium club- how about making it more pleasant for the average fan?

Green seats will look nice. The blue is definitely an eyesore.

illini13
08-13-2004, 10:19 AM
I agree with SaltyPretzel...I can't picture where this 1st base restaurant would be located? Would existing seats be eliminated for this restaurant? We already have 2 restaurants in the right field Stadium Club, a bar, and a picnic area. Why do we need another one?

FARMEO
08-13-2004, 12:13 PM
The Angels have a restaurant located behind home plate at the field level. Perhaps the restaurant on the first base side would be similar. I don't think that we need another restaurant in the park, I know that I will never pay extra to use it.

mdep524
08-13-2004, 12:23 PM
I'm confused about where this restaurant will be located. Would it be at field level? :?:
My guess is that they would put the restaurant in where the Fundamentals area currently is, on the ground level by the elevators. Next year Fundamentals will be out in left field, so that whole area will be free. Again, I am just guessing here, but that would make sense.

JoseCanseco6969
08-13-2004, 12:31 PM
That would be awesome if they had dark grey seats. What everyone doesn't want. It'll be the sole reason we don't go to the World Series next year.:D: Plus I have heard nothing about an extension of the upper deck in left field. I think that would overhang the Fundamentals area if that was true which would defeat the purpose as they wanted the kids to be out in the sun and not in some dark corner. Resteraunt idea sounds cool.
agreed! dark grey all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lths06
08-13-2004, 12:38 PM
Could somebody photoshop a pic of the Cell with grey seats like you have with the green? Thanks

pinwheels3530
08-13-2004, 12:41 PM
My guess is that they would put the restaurant in where the Fundamentals area currently is, on the ground level by the elevators. Next year Fundamentals will be out in left field, so that whole area will be free. Again, I am just guessing here, but that would make sense.

Hey that's what I said on another post. My suggestion was they should put a Hooters at gate 3 ground level, if that's the case the idea is not so bad after all there going to need to do something with all that new space anyways once the kids area moves into the park. They way that tribune article made it sound is that they were going to put a restaurant right behind first base replacing season ticket holder seats.

I guess they don't have enough funds for a true HR porch, a grand entrance and renovations that have been discussed on this site, but I hope I am wrong.

mdep524
08-13-2004, 12:45 PM
I guess they don't have enough funds for a true HR porch, a grand entrance and renovations that have been discussed on this site, but I hope I am wrong.
I hope they still have some money or, God forbid ,they take a little out of their own pockets:o: :cower: because that grand entrance would be darn nice, and a HR porch might be cool also.

pinwheels3530
08-13-2004, 12:56 PM
I hope they still have some money or, God forbid ,they take a little out of their own pockets:o: :cower: because that grand entrance would be darn nice, and a HR porch might be cool also.

Your right al thsoe renovatiosn would be really cool, I also agree with Hangar who originally suggested that they should start taking down those billboards and open up the stadium for a view since the projects are almost all gone and a new neighbor hood will be built at there locations.

I will be visting PNC park in Pittsburgh and Jacobs field in the first phase of my ballpark tourin the next couple of weeks, so I'll get chance to compare Sox park to theirs. From what I seen of pictures of PNC It looks like the bes of all the major league parks. I'll take pictures and post them here.

skobabe8
08-13-2004, 01:01 PM
I've posted it before....

I think we should have a scoreboard pinwheel on each seat with the seat number inside it. that would look sooooooooooo cooooooooooool.

Do the sox have a "green seat suggestion box"? I'd like to drop this in.

bafiarocks03
08-13-2004, 01:23 PM
I don't want green seats...or dark grey seats....i like the blue ones.....nor do i want that kids little league thing in left field...i don't get it!!

:bandance: :bandance:

inta
08-13-2004, 01:27 PM
I agree- Another restaurant- a private one at that- is totally unnecessary. We have the bullpen bar, the stadium club- how about making it more pleasant for the average fan?

well, like the article says, the restaurant is for season ticket holders.
my uncle is a season ticket holder and says by early may he's sick of all the food at the ballpark for the most part, and ends up eating out beforehand.

perhaps this is something that sox fans have suggested when they poll their season ticket holders or something...

MrRoboto83
08-13-2004, 01:31 PM
perhaps they are planning to take out a few skyboxes for the new resturant?

skobabe8
08-13-2004, 01:31 PM
well, like the article says, the restaurant is for season ticket holders.
my uncle is a season ticket holder and says by early may he's sick of all the food at the ballpark for the most part, and ends up eating out beforehand.

perhaps this is something that sox fans have suggested when they poll their season ticket holders or something...
the private restaurant is a good idea. building a strong season ticket holder fanbase is really important, and its something the organization has done a poor job of over the last 10 years. this can only help.

inta
08-13-2004, 01:56 PM
according to the article it's going to be on the main concourse behind 1st base.

mantis1212
08-13-2004, 02:03 PM
That's what i was thinking- makes sense

zach23
08-13-2004, 02:03 PM
The only renovation I want to see is a shiny new pole that has a "World Champions" banner on it. The place will be perfect at that point.

AMestan
08-13-2004, 03:34 PM
What's wrong with a restaurant where offices are currently located? It's not hurting the average fan. I have 4 season tickets and I wouldn't mind having a bar located near my seats or easier access to food. Sox Park has to be the only place in baseball where the closer to the field your seats are located the farther you have to walk for beer, food and to take a piss. I'm glad the resaturant's going to be built.

Also, what's wrong with additional batting cages for kids? Who is it hurting? There's not going to be a carusel or roller coaster. I wish they had batting cages there in the 60's and 70's when I was a kid. Batting cages are for kids 5 to 13. Not yuppie's in their 20's or 30's.

For all of those who want to vent frustration about the renovation's, how about venting anger at the losers who insist on doing the wave at games. Or how about the moron's who throw home run balls back into field.

anewman35
08-13-2004, 03:56 PM
Sox Park has to be the only place in baseball where the closer to the field your seats are located the farther you have to walk for beer, food and to take a piss.
Huh? What, do other parks have special bathrooms and concession stands in the dugouts for people in the front row to use?

MushMouth
08-13-2004, 04:44 PM
For all of those who want to vent frustration about the renovation's, how about venting anger at the losers who insist on doing the wave at games. Or how about the moron's who throw home run balls back into field.

Hear Hear!

God how I loathe the Wave...

margiss
08-13-2004, 05:31 PM
Just heard at around 3 a quick call in on the Score. The caller said that about 4 or so sections will be impacted by the renovations down near the field. It appears that "18 rows" will be taken out and repalced by new special cushioned seating with apparent restaurant connections and the seats will go for $175 per. [That's what I call green seats!] Wow!

The impacted section season ticket holders should go crazy over this one.

If this is true and the restaurant/elite seating is going close to teh field, what about this for a twist (my idea only and not rumor level)? WHy not let the elite restaurant be down by the field as suggested and let the Stadium Club (further from play) be renovated by a private owner (e.g. TGI Friday's) for teh everyday fan. With the view of the field it could be a year around treasure on teh South Side for average Joe. It could also connect nicely to the new porch (if it happens) in right ala the Ballpark at Arlington, Miller Field and otehrs.

Just food for thought. Remember, we don't have the whole story yet. Too bad though if the seats by the field are no longer reasonable for the average season ticket holder. Hopefully this negative can be spun into a positive in the end.

DumpJerry
08-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Alright...the seats' color. Whose uniform is permeated with the color blue? "nuff said there. Why green? That is the color we all grew up with until JR tore down the house in 1991. Why not next season for the new seats? The stadium renovations are being paid for by the U.S. Cellular money. U.S. Cellular's money for the naming rights is to be used only for stadium renovations, not signing players. The money is coming incrementally over three years. That is why there will be major changes over a three year period beginning with the upper deck overhang and pillars for this season.

Medford Bobby
08-13-2004, 06:00 PM
I'd still like to see arched windows in the outfield area walls above the bleachers (just like Old Comiskey)...but ya have to take down some money makin' billboards.. :(:

ZachAL
08-13-2004, 06:38 PM

If this is true and the restaurant/elite seating is going close to teh field, what about this for a twist (my idea only and not rumor level)? WHy not let the elite restaurant be down by the field as suggested and let the Stadium Club (further from play) be renovated by a private owner (e.g. TGI Friday's) for teh everyday fan. With the view of the field it could be a year around treasure on teh South Side for average Joe. It could also connect nicely to the new porch (if it happens) in right ala the Ballpark at Arlington, Miller Field and otehrs.
I believe the stadium club IS a private restaurant owned by the Levy Company. And it was to my understanding it was open most of the year. If not I know it is open all year for private parties at least.

ZachAL
08-13-2004, 06:41 PM
Because average fans are obviously not shelling out thousands upon thousands of dollars each Summer. They SHOULD be adding more for season ticket holders, I'd start with making half-price tuesdays half price for season ticket holders too, but they wont do that...hell brooks boyer said there was a good chance theyd be getting rid of halfprice tues. anyways

margiss
08-13-2004, 08:19 PM
I believe the stadium club IS a private restaurant owned by the Levy Company. And it was to my understanding it was open most of the year. If not I know it is open all year for private parties at least.
I uderstand that the Stadium Club is owned by Levy and private, but it is not for the general public. It is an add on for season ticket holders and, as you note, private parties. If this could be modified for use by the general public it would be great.

I have been part of a season ticket since the new park opened and I can't see myself paying extra for the right to utilize the club (no offense to the many that love it).

I and many of my friends, though, have enjoyed the restaurants in Toronto, Milwaukee, and Texas on game day and non game day. It just makes sense to 1) cater to the more wealthy with elite packages to bring in revenue and 2) cater to the mass public with other offerings. Seems like a no brainer to increase overall revenue by adjusting to your entire audience.

Nellie_Fox
08-14-2004, 01:13 AM
I think we should have a scoreboard pinwheel on each seat with the seat number inside it. that would look sooooooooooo cooooooooooool. With this innovation, the Sox might go undefeated.

skobabe8
08-14-2004, 01:58 AM
With this innovation, the Sox might go undefeated.
***? :?:

StillMissOzzie
08-14-2004, 03:01 AM
Just heard at around 3 a quick call in on the Score. The caller said that about 4 or so sections will be impacted by the renovations down near the field. It appears that "18 rows" will be taken out and repalced by new special cushioned seating with apparent restaurant connections and the seats will go for $175 per. [That's what I call green seats!] Wow!

Check out the other thread named "Some season ticket holders get hosed" and you'll see that you're right. How would you like great seats that you've had double or triple in price? Especially if the new seats that they offer you may not be nearly as good.

I was in a similar position many years ago, at the now-defunct Poplar Creek Music Theater. For several years, we subscribed to a ticket package of 4-6 shows per year, and each year they offered to improve our seats if possible. A perk for the "season ticket" holder, I thought. Then one year, they created a "Golden Circle" section, and to keep the seats that THEY upgraded me to, I would have had to pay double. I wrote an eloquently worded many-page letter in protest, and they wrote back a short letter that essentially said "tough luck for you". My ties to Poplar Creek were severed at that point.

I hope the Sox don't tick off too many loyal fans with this plan.

SMO

skobabe8
08-14-2004, 03:07 AM
Check out the other thread named "Some season ticket holders get hosed" and you'll see that you're right. How would you like great seats that you've had double or triple in price? Especially if the new seats that they offer you may not be nearly as good.

I was in a similar position many years ago, at the now-defunct Poplar Creek Music Theater. For several years, we subscribed to a ticket package of 4-6 shows per year, and each year they offered to improve our seats if possible. A perk for the "season ticket" holder, I thought. Then one year, they created a "Golden Circle" section, and to keep the seats that THEY upgraded me to, I would have had to pay double. I wrote an eloquently worded many-page letter in protest, and they wrote back a short letter that essentially said "tough luck for you". My ties to Poplar Creek were severed at that point.

I hope the Sox don't tick off too many loyal fans with this plan.

SMO
This organization really makes me nervous with their decision-making. :?:

Nellie_Fox
08-14-2004, 03:29 AM
***? :?:I guess one has to use teal even for obviously sarcastic comments. (Heavy sigh)

PaleHoseGeorge
08-14-2004, 10:01 AM

Just food for thought. Remember, we don't have the whole story yet. Too bad though if the seats by the field are no longer reasonable for the average season ticket holder. Hopefully this negative can be spun into a positive in the end.Thank you for offering yet another sterling example of why listening to sportsblab radio is strictly for the feeble-minded. Get a clue!

You don't "own" the seat. Your season tickets entitle you to preferential treatment, nothing more. Anyone who had season tickets for those seats has first right of refusal. If they choose not to keep them, they still are treated like season ticketholders -- i.e. with preference. Their new season tickets will be worked into new seats nearby. The Sox will make every effort to make accommodations for loyal season ticketholders -- even those who don't cough up for the new seats. It would be foolish to take any other course.

I'm betting the jackass sportsblab host didn't mention anything I've written above. No, they would rather have the ****ing idiots who listen to them worked up into a lather, the better to make their show "controversial and interesting." They cater to the lowest common denominator.

If you don't believe me, spend time listening to either of these two ****ing idiots...

:ass :windsock:
"We'll pretty much say anything over the air if it means another share point!"

Sportsblab radio is for ****ing idiots. Just say, "No!"

JohnBasedowYoda
08-14-2004, 10:47 AM
one thing that is being overlooked with darker seats is that the darker the color of something the more it absorbs the energy from the sun. Ever walk on blacktop in the middle of the summer with bare feet? burns huh. I'm guessing that 40k darker seats will raise the ambient temperature of the park. Especially if the seats are empty.

Thoughts: 1this will make all the fatties sweaty and force them to take their shirts off. 2 This will distract carlos lee in left field. 3 Our ice cream-in-the-helmets will melt really fast.

Solution: Use White Seats. This will reflect everything into the atmosphere and the blinding light will: let everyone know that where are the WHite Sox (as evidenced by our seat color), and blind us so we can't see the corpseball.

BainesHOF
08-14-2004, 12:23 PM
The park looks so beautiful now it's disappointing the Sox are going to tamper with a good thing that it took them 13 years to finally get right.

Most alarming is the addition of the Fundamentals site to be located above left field. One of the best things about the outfield area is the open-air feeling about it. Mark my words, the new kids area is going to be an eyesore. I think the organization probably knows this but doesn't care. It feels the kids area will play great on TV and entice families to come to the park.

And, perhaps most importantly, has anyone considered the sound of aluminum bats constantly "pinging" throughout the park? I was at a game in the 1980s when many of the California Angels used aluminum bats during batting practice. The sound was loud and extremely annoying even from where I watched in right field.

margiss
08-14-2004, 01:52 PM
Thank you for offering yet another sterling example of why listening to sportsblab radio is strictly for the feeble-minded. Get a clue!

You don't "own" the seat. Your season tickets entitle you to preferential treatment, nothing more. Anyone who had season tickets for those seats has first right of refusal. If they choose not to keep them, they still are treated like season ticketholders -- i.e. with preference. Their new season tickets will be worked into new seats nearby. The Sox will make every effort to make accommodations for loyal season ticketholders -- even those who don't cough up for the new seats. It would be foolish to take any other course.

I'm betting the jackass sportsblab host didn't mention anything I've written above. No, they would rather have the ****ing idiots who listen to them worked up into a lather, the better to make their show "controversial and interesting." They cater to the lowest common denominator.

If you don't believe me, spend time listening to either of these two ****ing idiots...

:ass :windsock:
"We'll pretty much say anything over the air if it means another share point!"

Sportsblab radio is for ****ing idiots. Just say, "No!"
While I am an active viewer of this forum, I seldom post and the reason is because of responses to posts like this one.

Those that post with a mightier than thou attitude really take this community down a notch. That is unfortunate.

Despite your view of talk radio, you should back off the attitude that those that listen are not intelligent people. In fact, take the same attitude about others who post. You may be suprised to hear that everything you mention was discussed with the caller and in fact the clarfiications came from Mike North himself. Like the caller, though, this BS fed by the organization is not enough. You are transplanting loyal fans who have been with you through thick and thin and trying to sell a consolation prize as premium service. I have had season tickets since the new park opened and get how such fans are treated. But if this impacted my section I would be pretty ticked off to have to step back and try to fill some seat that is a lame compromise to the ticket that I have held for years. As your seats get better there is nowhere to get moved but back!

I'm not trying to start anything here with others who post because I appreciate your dedication and the insights I get, but these polar responses and assumptions on the inteligence of others gets very old.

TornLabrum
08-14-2004, 01:59 PM
While I am an active viewer of this forum, I seldom post and the reason is because of responses to posts like this one.

Those that post with a mightier than thou attitude really take this community down a notch. That is unfortunate.
And the irony is that the person you are accusing of taking the site down a notch, PHG, is the founder of this web site.

batmanZoSo
08-14-2004, 02:48 PM

The average fan is poor. This will bring in a lot of money, it's for the greater good. And you're really off-base in your complaint, they've done a lot to appease us the last few years. Basically everything we've been complaining about has been removed one by one. The upper deck, the ugly roof, now the blue seats, soon the billboards.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-14-2004, 03:00 PM
And the irony is that the person you are accusing of taking the site down a notch, PHG, is the founder of this web site.Margiss would rather call sportsblab radio where he gets talked over and muted the exact moment the show's host/troll decides he can be "insightful and witty" by cutting him off. Then his producer will never let him on the air again.

Yeah, this message board format is sooooooo unfair.

:cool:

skobabe8
08-14-2004, 03:44 PM
I guess one has to use teal even for obviously sarcastic comments. (Heavy sigh)
I'm pretty sure I picked up the sarcasim. The post was just that stupid. (Shakes head back and forth)

PaleHoseGeorge
08-14-2004, 04:31 PM
I'm pretty sure I picked up the sarcasim. The post was just that stupid. (Shakes head back and forth)
Yeah, sure... this from the guy who suggested putting a pinwheel on every seat... and didn't use teal either.

:rolleyes:

margiss
08-14-2004, 05:04 PM
And the irony is that the person you are accusing of taking the site down a notch, PHG, is the founder of this web site.
This site is great and while I am clearly not in the inner circle I am simply suggesting that by having people focus on their opinions rather than making assumptions about posters that they don't know this board could be even better. I say it is unfortunate because I bet you would get a lot more trolls posting if that were the case.

In any case I appreciate PaleHoseGeorge and those who make it come together as well as all those who contribute by posting.

Margiss would rather call sportsblab radio where he gets talked over and muted the exact moment the show's host/troll decides he can be "insightful and witty" by cutting him off. Then his producer will never let him on the air again.

Yeah, this message board format is sooooooo unfair.

Sorry PaleHoseGeorge . . . your board, your rules.

ewokpelts
08-14-2004, 06:10 PM
The park looks so beautiful now it's disappointing the Sox are going to tamper with a good thing that it took them 13 years to finally get right.

Most alarming is the addition of the Fundamentals site to be located above left field. One of the best things about the outfield area is the open-air feeling about it. Mark my words, the new kids area is going to be an eyesore. I think the organization probably knows this but doesn't care. It feels the kids area will play great on TV and entice families to come to the park.

And, perhaps most importantly, has anyone considered the sound of aluminum bats constantly "pinging" throughout the park? I was at a game in the 1980s when many of the California Angels used aluminum bats during batting practice. The sound was loud and extremely annoying even from where I watched in right field.better than the billboard...and i'm betting that the team will rent it out during games for groups...just like the beloved fan deck that only ld ticket holders can use....it helps generate money...and it make the sox look good.....imagine the good will generated by some kid catching a frank or clee homer that lands in fundamentals...it'll be on the news....
Gene

FightingBillini
08-14-2004, 06:39 PM
better than the billboard...and i'm betting that the team will rent it out during games for groups...just like the beloved fan deck that only ld ticket holders can use....it helps generate money...and it make the sox look good.....imagine the good will generated by some kid catching a frank or clee homer that lands in fundamentals...it'll be on the news....
Gene
Estimated distance of said home run: 650ft.
There have been only a few homeruns that reached the concourse at all. The fundamentals is at the back of the concourse, and raised about 30-50 feet. It will never happen.

skobabe8
08-14-2004, 10:23 PM
Yeah, sure... this from the guy who suggested putting a pinwheel on every seat... and didn't use teal either.

:rolleyes:
Just because you didn't think of it first. :bandance:

batmanZoSo
08-14-2004, 11:36 PM
one thing that is being overlooked with darker seats is that the darker the color of something the more it absorbs the energy from the sun. Ever walk on blacktop in the middle of the summer with bare feet? burns huh. I'm guessing that 40k darker seats will raise the ambient temperature of the park. Especially if the seats are empty.

Thoughts: 1this will make all the fatties sweaty and force them to take their shirts off. 2 This will distract carlos lee in left field. 3 Our ice cream-in-the-helmets will melt really fast.

Solution: Use White Seats. This will reflect everything into the atmosphere and the blinding light will: let everyone know that where are the WHite Sox (as evidenced by our seat color), and blind us so we can't see the corpseball.
AHAHAHAHA!

I propose we knock down the center field fan deck extravaganza and continue the bleachers normally. Fans in those sections will hold up double sided poster board--one side black, one side white--and flip them to aide Sox hitters while blinding the opposition. Or, better yet, make the opposite sides of the poster boards form a grotesque image like David Wells picking out a wedgie or something...be creative with it.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-15-2004, 12:30 AM
AHAHAHAHA!

I propose we knock down the center field fan deck extravaganza and continue the bleachers normally. Fans in those sections will hold up double sided poster board--one side black, one side white--and flip them to aide Sox hitters while blinding the opposition. Or, better yet, make the opposite sides of the poster boards form a grotesque image like David Wells picking out a wedgie or something...be creative with it.That's pretty much how it works inside the HumpDome with the ventilation fans... if a dope who admits turning fans off and on is allowed to help his team, why can't we Sox Fans help out ours?

How much help can a dark hitting background vs. a white background really be worth anyway, a couple of extra feet? Let's get some researchers from the University of Illinois at Chicago to conduct a study to prove what a bunch of whiners everyone from Minnesota is.

batmanZoSo
08-15-2004, 02:07 AM
That's pretty much how it works inside the HumpDome with the ventilation fans... if a dope who admits turning fans off and on is allowed to help his team, why can't we Sox Fans help out ours?

How much help can a dark hitting background vs. a white background really be worth anyway, a couple of extra feet? Let's get some researchers from the University of Illinois at Chicago to conduct a study to prove what a bunch of whiners everyone from Minnesota is.

HAHAHA I remember that thread. Yeah, let's hire the best researchers from the University across the street to disprove everything. And the whole thing presided over by da mare.

Nellie_Fox
08-15-2004, 03:37 AM
I'm pretty sure I picked up the sarcasim. The post was just that stupid. (Shakes head back and forth)You put up a post suggesting that pinwheels for the seat numbers would be a huge innovation, then misspell sarcasm in a post in which you call my reply stupid. Yeah, pinwheels on the seat numbers will really pack in the fans and improve the baseball experience.

You're right, I'm sorry. :tongue:

pinwheels3530
08-15-2004, 05:39 AM
I've posted it before....

I think we should have a scoreboard pinwheel on each seat with the seat number inside it. that would look sooooooooooo cooooooooooool.

Do the sox have a "green seat suggestion box"? I'd like to drop this in.
Pinwheels on the seats sounds cool!!!!!:wink:

gosox41
08-15-2004, 08:48 AM

Despite your view of talk radio, you should back off the attitude that those that listen are not intelligent people. In fact, take the same attitude about others who post. You may be suprised to hear that everything you mention was discussed with the caller and in fact the clarfiications came from Mike North himself. Like the caller, though, this BS fed by the organization is not enough. You are transplanting loyal fans who have been with you through thick and thin and trying to sell a consolation prize as premium service. I have had season tickets since the new park opened and get how such fans are treated. But if this impacted my section I would be pretty ticked off to have to step back and try to fill some seat that is a lame compromise to the ticket that I have held for years. As your seats get better there is nowhere to get moved but back!

I'm not trying to start anything here with others who post because I appreciate your dedication and the insights I get, but these polar responses and assumptions on the inteligence of others gets very old.
FWIW, I regreat to admit that I've listened to Mike North before. Most of the time he jumps the gun and forms an opinion and rants and raves without knowing/explaining the whole story.

Most of the time he winds up talking to himself in a corner and then sayng the opposite of what he has been saying.

North may for some reason or another have a big following in this city, but he lost me as a listener years ago. When I know he's on the radio I don't bother flipping on the Score.

The example above might have been one of the exceptions. And good for North for finally getting all the facts right for once and not going to the 'Jay Mariotti School of Media Relations'

But North should go back to running his hot dog stand. It just goes to show what a loud mouth, a microphone, not much intelligence, and the ability to say anything to stir things up can do for a career.

Bob

TornLabrum
08-15-2004, 09:25 AM
FWIW, I regreat to admit that I've listened to Mike North before. Most of the time he jumps the gun and forms an opinion and rants and raves without knowing/explaining the whole story.

Most of the time he winds up talking to himself in a corner and then sayng the opposite of what he has been saying.

North may for some reason or another have a big following in this city, but he lost me as a listener years ago. When I know he's on the radio I don't bother flipping on the Score.

The example above might have been one of the exceptions. And good for North for finally getting all the facts right for once and not going to the 'Jay Mariotti School of Media Relations'

But North should go back to running his hot dog stand. It just goes to show what a loud mouth, a microphone, not much intelligence, and the ability to say anything to stir things up can do for a career.

Bob
Bob, I don't know that North's following is all that large. He may have the largest contract on The Score, but he got killed in the last ratings period by Mac, Jurko, and Harry. I can't see him doing all that much better in the morning when he's up against Spike O'Dell, Mancow, Stern, and fellow right-wing-crap-spewing Don and Roma.

skobabe8
08-15-2004, 03:10 PM
You put up a post suggesting that pinwheels for the seat numbers would be a huge innovation, then misspell sarcasm in a post in which you call my reply stupid. Yeah, pinwheels on the seat numbers will really pack in the fans and improve the baseball experience.

You're right, I'm sorry. :tongue:
Thanks for the spelling lesson, professor. I don't remember saying anything about huge innovations, or brilliant ideas that would pack in the fans and improve the baseball experience. Just throwing out a small, simple idea. I didn't know it would affect you so much on a personal level. And for the record, its not 'pinwheels on the seat numbers', its seat numbers on the pinwheels. I wanted to clarify things because your way just wouldnt work.
I'm glad you know how to use spellcheck, too. You might want to use it again to make sure I spelled "professor" and "personal" right. I was iffy with those.

P.S. Thanks for the endorsement, PINWHEELS3530! I knew you'd appreciate it! I can't believe this topic is that big a deal to have this many posts.
:tongue: :tongue:

gosox41
08-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Bob, I don't know that North's following is all that large. He may have the largest contract on The Score, but he got killed in the last ratings period by Mac, Jurko, and Harry. I can't see him doing all that much better in the morning when he's up against Spike O'Dell, Mancow, Stern, and fellow right-wing-crap-spewing Don and Roma.
With all those blowhards on the air, hopefully they'll cannablize each other in the ratings game and they'll all go off the air.

Bob

SpringfldFan
08-16-2004, 11:44 AM
Regarding seat color and ambient temperature, it has been a long time since I had science courses, but if light seats reflect heat, wouldn't they reflect it into the park and actually make the park hotter? Nevertheless, I don't think it is an issue of concern whether the seat color make the park hotter anyways. I would much welcome a hotter park in April, May, and June (as well as the Sox hitters).

MiamiSpartan
08-16-2004, 02:05 PM
Any info on the rumoured Upper Deck in right field?

Hitmen77
08-16-2004, 02:44 PM
Everyone: Please LIGHTEN UP and stop all this damn bickering at each other! Can't we discuss and disagree and - yes even make jokes - without all is bitching at each other and pulling rank over other posters?

Hitmen77
08-16-2004, 03:18 PM
The article is very vague and anything we say here is unfortunately based on this article and not on an official team announcement. That being said, here are my observations on the renovations article:

- The article suggests that the Sox have started contacting season ticket holders about this. Can anyone hear confirm this? If so, what did they say?

- The season ticket holders already have the Stadium Club. Why is a 2nd season ticket holders restaurant a priority?

- The Trib article says that this restaurant will pay for itself with the revenue it generates. What does that mean? Are they saying this project is self-funding won't use up US Cellular naming-rights renovation money - leaving that money available for other projects?

- The original seats only have a 10-15 year lifespan? Do all other ballparks need to replace all their seats every 10-15 years?

- The article made it sound like there may be future renovations (other than the seat replacements) beyond 2005. This is the first I ever heard this suggested. Has anyone heard anything about this possibility.

One final note. I'm not a season ticket holder and I appreciate the amount of time and money you season ticket holders devote to our favorite team. I also understand that selling more season tickets is important to the financial viability of the Sox. But, some of you guys need to get a little perspective and get off your high-horses and realize that the world doesn't solely revolve around you. For all the potential season ticket holders out there, there are always going to be a bunch more Sox fans like me - who go to maybe a half dozen games a year but could not afford the time or money for 20+games per year. We are not "casual" fans who only buy walk-up tickets on half-price night when the Sox are in first place. If the goal is to make Sox Park more intimate and fan-friendly, it can't just be only about season-ticket holders.

Ok, I'm done. You can commence ripping apart my post.

JKryl
08-22-2004, 11:38 PM
There does seem to be a lot of grumping going on. I think it's just a reaction at the lousy play on the field. I for one am really disappointed with this years Sox. I had a lot of hope for this team in May, and as far as I'm concerned, they can bring in pink seats if they can throw in a World Series win to boot!:angry:

Parrothead
08-22-2004, 11:53 PM
There does seem to be a lot of grumping going on. I think it's just a reaction at the lousy play on the field. I for one am really disappointed with this years Sox. I had a lot of hope for this team in May, and as far as I'm concerned, they can bring in pink seats if they can throw in a World Series win to boot!:angry:
Agreed!

PatK
08-23-2004, 10:58 AM
If Fundamentals is going to be outside of left field, how will you get to it from the upper deck, since you are restricted to the upper deck concourse if you have upper deck tickets?

anewman35
08-23-2004, 11:02 AM
If Fundamentals is going to be outside of left field, how will you get to it from the upper deck, since you are restricted to the upper deck concourse if you have upper deck tickets?
There's going to be a ramp/staircase from the Fundamentals deck to the end of the upper deck.

BigHurt359300
08-24-2004, 11:26 PM
What's wrong with a restaurant where offices are currently located? It's not hurting the average fan. I have 4 season tickets and I wouldn't mind having a bar located near my seats or easier access to food. Sox Park has to be the only place in baseball where the closer to the field your seats are located the farther you have to walk for beer, food and to take a piss. I'm glad the resaturant's going to be built.

Also, what's wrong with additional batting cages for kids? Who is it hurting? There's not going to be a carusel or roller coaster. I wish they had batting cages there in the 60's and 70's when I was a kid. Batting cages are for kids 5 to 13. Not yuppie's in their 20's or 30's.

AMEN, THE WAVE, GO TO F-ING LA TO DO THE F-ING WAVE AND FOR THROWING THE HR BALLS BACK, U CAN GO TO THAT AAA TEAM THAT PLACE WHERE THEY HAVE NETS TO PROTECT U FROM CONCRETE.

THE START OF THE END AT OLD COMISKEY WAS FALLING CONCRETE, ONLY THIS TIME I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

The Critic
08-25-2004, 03:06 PM
There's going to be a ramp/staircase from the Fundamentals deck to the end of the upper deck.
More stairs???
NOOOOOoooooo.......:D:

For the record, I really wish any Fundamentals stuff would have been done downstairs, and not on the concourse, which I think is perfect.
The open concourse is one of the things I like best about USCF, and anything else they do to it is too much, in my opinion.

lths06
08-25-2004, 06:15 PM
More stairs???
NOOOOOoooooo.......:D:

For the record, I really wish any Fundamentals stuff would have been done downstairs, and not on the concourse, which I think is perfect.
The open concourse is one of the things I like best about USCF, and anything else they do to it is too much, in my opinion.
Exaclty. One of the things I took for granted was being able to walk around the entire field through the concourse. When I went to a game @ The Networks Ass. Collesium (A's), I really missed that.

SoxBoy14
08-31-2004, 08:26 AM
I really doubt that w/e color seats they have will help them get any better. :(: y do they stink?:?:

JKryl
09-02-2004, 01:01 PM
I don't know how we ended up talking about the wave and throwing balls back onto the field, but as soon as the ball hits the grass, the fan should be ejected for throwing foreign objects onto the field. As for the wave, just keep a fire hose handy, that should bring them to their senses, especially in April.(We need a "smiles" with icicles here.)