PDA

View Full Version : Garland and Buehrle going on short rest a good idea?

MRKARNO
08-12-2004, 11:33 PM
This weekend we're going to send Garland on short rest against Schilling on Saturday and Buehrle against Bronson Arroyo on short rest as well on Sunday. I'm not sure if this is really a good idea due to the pitch counts of Garland and Buehrle in their last respective starts. Garland went 107 in his last outing and Buerhle 111. Not exactly imposing a strict pitch count. When do they plan to impose the pitch count, for this game? Or does Ozzie think that the pitchers will be fine on the short rest? I hope they'll be fine and can go 100 pitches, but I'm not sure if that will happen.

WHarris13
08-12-2004, 11:35 PM
I think if anyone on our staff can go on short rest it's these 2.
Especially Buehrle, because they are as hardthrowing as Contreras and Garcia.

I bet they'll be fine.

Gimm
08-12-2004, 11:42 PM
I think if anyone on our staff can go on short rest it's these 2.
Especially Buehrle, because they are as hardthrowing as Contreras and Garcia.

I bet they'll be fine.A (physically and psychologically) tired pitcher can't spot the fastball, hangs the breaking ball, tips the pitches off with inconsistent delivery AND is twice as likely to seriously injure himself.

I am a big proponent of a 4-man rotation, but only if it's properly executed - sounds easier said than done.

Not sure if I trust Ozzie. But what choice do the Sox have? Effectively concede the season by losing every 5th game?

MRKARNO
08-12-2004, 11:51 PM
Not sure if I trust Ozzie. But what choice do the Sox have? Effectively concede the season by losing every 5th game?
Losing one out of five is better than putting all of your starters in a bad position

JB98
08-13-2004, 12:50 AM
Losing one out of five is better than putting all of your starters in a bad position
I agree. The risk is much greater than the reward. It's just foolish to jeopardize Buerhle and Garland. We are liable to get killed in this series. I'd be satisfied with one out of three.

Gimm
08-13-2004, 01:04 AM
I agree. The risk is much greater than the reward. It's just foolish to jeopardize Buerhle and Garland. We are liable to get killed in this series. I'd be satisfied with one out of three.
We won't see Pedro. Nor Nomar. Nor Nixon. Manny is not exactly swinging the bat like he should in the last few days following his bout with the flue. Belhorn is on DL. Damon is slumping.

They're beatable.

And I was talking about switching to 4-man rotation until we're no longer in contention, NOT just for the Boston series. :bandance:

BigNDfan
08-13-2004, 10:40 AM
What the heck is the difference? The team has been playing awful baseball. You might as well avoid the 5th starter and try and get a win with one of your top 4 pitchers.

owensmouth
08-13-2004, 10:48 AM
Pray for rain, lots of it

steff
08-13-2004, 10:50 AM
Pray for rain, lots of it
With only 2 days off (one of which is a scheduled golf outing which several of the players are set to attend...) no thanks.

Baby Fisk
08-13-2004, 11:11 AM
Add me to the "I'm worried" wagon. I'm having nightmare visions of seeing Buerhle suddenly wince after a pitch...and the cataclysm that might follow... I'm sure the boys will be fine... but still I worry... :(:

owensmouth
08-13-2004, 11:15 AM
With only 2 days off (one of which is a scheduled golf outing which several of the players are set to attend...) no thanks.
I'm hoping that the games never get played. We cannot win on the road, we can't win at home. We get our bottoms handed to us by better teams. We're better off not having to play them.

OEO Magglio
08-13-2004, 11:25 AM
I'm hoping that the games never get played. We cannot win on the road, we can't win at home. We get our bottoms handed to us by better teams. We're better off not having to play them.That's not true, who knows the sox may play their best ball this upcoming series because that's how they played last year. When they played good teams they played extremely well.

SOXSINCE'70
08-13-2004, 11:50 AM
We won't see Pedro. Nor Nomar. Nor Nixon. Manny is not exactly swinging the bat like he should in the last few days following his bout with the flue. Belhorn is on DL. Damon is slumping.

They're beatable.

And I was talking about switching to 4-man rotation until we're no longer in contention, NOT just for the Boston series. :bandance:
But you WILL see Schilling.And David Ortiz scares me,slump or no slump.

SOXSINCE'70
08-13-2004, 11:52 AM
I am a big proponent of a 4-man rotation, but only if it's properly executed - sounds easier said than done.
Amen.As you point out,this could be very risky if done incorrectly.

Gimm
08-13-2004, 02:19 PM
But you WILL see Schilling.And David Ortiz scares me,slump or no slump.Yes, and we will beat Shilling pretty badly this Saturday.

I think it's time we stop being terrified of our own shadows.