PDA

View Full Version : Windy City Sox Fans Luncheon, August 20, with Harold and Jose

TornLabrum
08-12-2004, 10:40 PM
The next WCSF luncheon will be Friday, August 20th from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Polo Café’s Old Eagle banquet room 3322 S. Morgan in Bridgeport. Our guests this month will be Harold Baines and Jose Valentin.

Admission for the luncheon is $32.00 for WCSF members, $37.00 for non-members and $22.00 for kids age 3-11. The program will include an autograph session, buffet lunch and a Q&A session hosted by ESPN-1000’s Dave Wills.

Proceeds go to Chicago Baseball Cancer Charities, earmarked for Children’s Memorial Hospital.

For reservations, call the Windy City Sox Fans hotline at (708) 424-8520.

SoxxoS
08-12-2004, 10:43 PM
That would just be some stimulating conversation.

:harold
"Zzzzzzzzz."

:manos
"I heet the home run."

Good cause, though. I will try to make it if I can.

TornLabrum
08-12-2004, 11:07 PM
That would just be some stimulating conversation.

:harold
"Zzzzzzzzz."

:manos
"I heet the home run."

Good cause, though. I will try to make it if I can.
Jose has been a guest several times and is always interesting (as anyone who has heard him interviewed on the radio can attest).

Harold was a guest several years ago when he appeared with Ozzie. Now that was interesting. I sat at the table with them, and Ozzie talked all through the meal. Harold smiled. He did give a pretty decent interview, though, during the Q&A session, with Ozzie prodding him.

Deadguy
08-13-2004, 09:13 AM
Classy guests in Harold and Jose, and for a great cause! Wish I could go! Best of luck to the WCSF, and I hope everything goes off without a hitch.

TornLabrum
08-13-2004, 10:34 AM
Classy guests in Harold and Jose, and for a great cause! Wish I could go! Best of luck to the WCSF, and I hope everything goes off without a hitch.
Thanks! For the benefit of people who don't know much about the Windy City Sox Fans, I'll give you a brief history.

About 10 years ago a group of us who were on the board of directors of another similar fan club thought that we could do more for CBCC than we had been, so we started the WCSF. Our membership for the last several years has been about 200, all die-hard Sox fans.

We've held at least three luncheons every year, usually featuring current players and coaches. We also sponsor a patio party in the spring, and a holiday party each December, usually featuring former players who live in the area. (This year we had Billy Pierce, Moose Skowron, Bill Melton, and Steve Trout.) Our biggest fund raiser is our annual raffle, which will be coming up in the fall and will conclude at the holiday party. This year it looks as if we may be able to raffle off two trips to spring training among other prizes. We also have a road trip every year. People who went to the recent series in Detroit may have seen our group there.

Fairly early on we asked Dave Wills to emcee a luncheon. He was terrific and volunteered to help out in whatever he could to help us. Since then he's become "The Voice of the Windy City Sox Fans." If you catch the postgame show, you'll usually hear him plugging our events.

Keeping in mind that our membership has remained fairly steady at about 200, I'd say we've done a pretty good job of raising money for our charity. To date we've donated $60,500 to CBCC, earmarked for Children's Memorial Hospital. Our donation this past January was $10,500, a record for us. This does not count the thousands of dollars in toys our members have donated to Children's Memorial during the holidays.

One of the people who was instrumental in getting us started was Pete Powers, owner of Grandstand. Since the beginning, he has offered anyone who shows a WCSF membership card when making a purchase a 10% discount on most items in the store.

BTW none of the board members is compensated except for expenses (and a lot of those are donated. We also pay full membership rates for all events we attend, even though we're working at them.

I hope this gives some of you an idea of who we are and what we do.

inta
08-13-2004, 10:49 AM
How come they don't do White Sox Luncheons at The Hickory Pit anymore?

is that place even still open?

TornLabrum
08-13-2004, 11:12 AM
How come they don't do White Sox Luncheons at The Hickory Pit anymore?

is that place even still open?
The roof fell in on the building a few years ago after a snow storm. It's now a vacant lot. We stopped doing luncheons there because we got a better deal at other places.

We've settled in at the Polo Cafe in Bridgeport the past couple of years. Good price for us. Great food! We've had our holiday party at Senese's Winery in Oak Lawn for the past several years, another place with great food.

If you want to find the WCSF board during one of our monthly meetings, you can usually find us either at Senese's or at Schaller's Pump in Bridgeport. I highly recommend the fried chicken (which I can no longer eat) at Schaller's.