PDA

View Full Version : Alex Escobar

DVsoxfan
08-12-2004, 09:26 PM
The Indians released OF Alex Escobar according to ESPN Bottomline. If I'm not mistaken, wasnt he one of their top prospects? I know he stuggled when with the Indians. Did he become expendable due to the sucess of Grady Sizemore? What if KW signed Escobar to a minor league deal. Given, we have a lot of outfield talent, but if nothing else he could be used as trade bait. What are your thoughts?

Huisj
08-12-2004, 09:30 PM
The Indians released OF Alex Escobar according to ESPN Bottomline. If I'm not mistaken, wasnt he one of their top prospects? I know he stuggled when with the Indians. Did he become expendable due to the sucess of Grady Sizemore? What if KW signed Escobar to a minor league deal. Given, we have a lot of outfield talent, but if nothing else he could be used as trade bait. What are your thoughts?
they got him from the mets in the big alomar deal a number of years back after he had been their top prospect for a few years. he's had lots and lots of injury problems that seemed to keep him from ever getting going.

Aidan
08-12-2004, 10:09 PM
Escobar got injured early in the season and was labeled out for the season with foot surgery...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=1837240

It's no surprise to me that they released him since Grady Sizemore definately looks MLB ready. With Coco Crisp and now Grady Sizemore in CF, they have no need for Escobar. Escobar has underachieved but he is only 26 years old and was once a very highly touted prospect.
Signed by the New York Mets in 1995, Escobar batted .310 with 27 homers and 91 RBIss three years later and was named the majors' top prospect by Baseball America.

But little has gone right since then for the Venezuela native, who came to the Indians in 2001 in the eight-player deal that sent Roberto Alomar to the Mets.I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox give this guy a shot if he ever gets healthy. He is supposed to have an amazing arm in CF according to Baseball America.

Aidan
08-12-2004, 11:25 PM
Indians | Escobar Released - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:11:53 -0700

Updating a previous item, the Associated Press reports the Cleveland Indians released OF Alex Escobar Thursday, Aug. 12, making him a free agent. Escobar (foot) is already out for the rest of this season due to a broken right foot.Sign him and send him to Charlotte when he is healthy.