PDA

View Full Version : "Booooooooo"

the_valenstache
08-12-2004, 05:34 PM
The recent trend of Sox fans boo-ing the home team at U.S. Cellular Field is an expected, yet baffling phenomenon in my eyes.

Of course, this season (barring a miracle of historic proportions) will go down as one of the biggest failures in the history of the team due to the extremely HIGH expectations and the LOW level of play the last two months. As fans, because we hold our team in such high regards and spend more time worshipping them than a lifetime of trips to church, we have a right to be discouraged, angry, heartbroken, vengeful. But, why boo?

I must say that I'm the type of fan who'd sooner sink in his seat than give Borchard or Crede or whomever an earful. It's necessary in the hierarchy of fans that the loyal boo-ers exist (otherwise, watching Sammy strike out at Wrigley wouldn't be as enjoyable, right?). I'm simply curious about others' opinions of boo-ing at games; necessary or annoying?

[I'm reminded of the Simpsons when Lisa, day-dreaming about being a member of the second best band in America, is booed off the stage which elicits her question of "Why would they come see us just to boo?"]

doublem23
08-12-2004, 05:35 PM
Play like crap, hear lots of crap.

Rocky Soprano
08-12-2004, 05:41 PM
Play like crap, hear lots of crap.
Couldn't of said it better myself.

skobabe8
08-12-2004, 05:41 PM
I dont think it will be remembered as being that big of a failure because of the injuries. And expectations werent that high during the pre-season, IIRC. They became high around when Freddy was traded for. That being said, I think its Ok to boo. If you pay for a ticket, you have the option of voicing your displeasure. Hell, paying the 16 for parking you should be able to have a 3 minute one on one with JR. Booing is fine.

EDIT: I should point out, that the season was a failure. Don't get me wrong. But i dont think it will be remember as much as the team just sucking as it will for the injuries.

Gimm
08-12-2004, 05:57 PM
Play like crap, hear lots of crap.Try to pull an outside pitch, rolling the wrists over....hear some boos.

Try to uppercut a belt-high fastball, popping it straight up....hear some boos.

Take the eyes off a groundball, turning a sure out into a baserunner....hear boos

Get a small lead and a lazy jump, running into an out....hear some boos.

Lollygag or brainfart an 'out' into a hit or an extra base defensively....hear boos.

Singlehandedly lose a baseball game by not throwing strikes or getting hit hard...boos.

Make an idiotic comment, managing decision or a trade....well, you know.

Seems like a simple enough concept.

the_valenstache
08-12-2004, 06:16 PM
But what about the hecklers that get on the guys before they even do anything? Yesterday, before Borchard hit a single to the left side, people were booing him and yelling "back to AAA" and various other things.

I understand the concept of booing when a team fails, but it seems a little unnecessary to get on a guy before his at-bat is even over. Usually, I cheer our guys on UNTIL they screw up. Just because I know deep down in my heart that Jose will probably strike out in an 0-2 count, I still cheer him on until he does.

The "why" question is for those who boo our batters/pitchers when they're behind in counts. Why? Boo all you want when you get the result, but to jump on a guy before he's actually done anything wrong seems pointless.

I don't know...maybe I've never been the type to portion out the cosmos as I feel necessary. Booing has its place - to let the team/management know fans won't tolerate garbage. But, it seems like people are showing up just to boo and heckle guys on the team they should be rooting for. Seems like a waste of money to me. :redneck

Blob
08-12-2004, 06:18 PM
I don't believe in booing Sox players for any reason. They are OUR team. Booing is reserved for opposing teams.

the_valenstache
08-12-2004, 06:20 PM
EDIT: I should point out, that the season was a failure. Don't get me wrong. But i dont think it will be remember as much as the team just sucking as it will for the injuries.
Yeah, I agree. I guess what I meant was not that expectations were real high at the beginning of the season, but I think many will agree with me when I say that at some point this season I really really believed in the playoffs and beyond for this team. Then......THUD.

Seeing as how the hopes were so high, I understand the constant booing - for the most part. If I were to blame the injuries entirely, I'd be holding up a sign that says "Frank Thomas' Ankle SUCKS!" :redneck

CanOfCorn
08-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Booing one of our own before a player does anything wrong is unacceptable, in my eyes.

That used to drive me nuts when we had Albert Belle. I stopped sitting in left field (my preferred place to sit) because Sox fans would just start digging into him from warmups on. I never understood that.

I boo plays, not players. And I hardly ever carry them over from one at-bat or play to another. It seems counter-productive.

Booing shows you care. It's better than the half-assed applause at Wrigley.

jackbrohamer
08-12-2004, 06:46 PM
I don't boo Sox players either. I did boo Manuel quite a bit though, including at the All Star Game. That was fun.

skobabe8
08-12-2004, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I agree. I guess what I meant was not that expectations were real high at the beginning of the season, but I think many will agree with me when I say that at some point this season I really really believed in the playoffs and beyond for this team. Then......THUD.

Seeing as how the hopes were so high, I understand the constant booing - for the most part. If I were to blame the injuries entirely, I'd be holding up a sign that says "Frank Thomas' Ankle SUCKS!" :redneck

EXACTLY.

Gimm
08-12-2004, 07:06 PM
Seeing as how the hopes were so high, I understand the constant booing - for the most part. If I were to blame the injuries entirely, I'd be holding up a sign that says "Frank Thomas' Ankle SUCKS!"

If the team didn't go into heavy Corpsball mode in July and August, then we wouldn't be in a mess we're in. Under 3 runs a game? All kinds of mistakes (physical as well as mental) - at the plate, on the pads, in the field.......Are you kidding me?!

JR and KW didn't make the much-needed moves to beef up the offense and for THAT they get a lion's share of boooooooooos from me as well.

Ozzie, too got a few.

the_valenstache
08-12-2004, 07:10 PM
JR and KW didn't make the much-needed moves to beef up the offense and for THAT they get a lion's share of boooooooooos from me as well.

Ozzie, too got a few.
I wish I could disagree. Ozzieball has become a phantom, like Joe Borchard's "potential."

RedPinStripes
08-12-2004, 07:17 PM
If you boo anyone, you're not a real fan. I dont boo anyone. I 'm a real fan, you're a bandwagon jumper!

I was just getting that post over with. It was coming. :D:

Jurr
08-12-2004, 07:19 PM
As far as KW and JR not trying to get a big bat, they went after Walker and Delgado, and just didn't get them to waive no trade clauses. It was a tough situation, but you can't fault a guy for trying. Don't boo the management.

If we lose this year totally, that's a big disappointment, but if that shows the true colors of this team (and ends up axing Valentin, Crede, and any other chronic underachiever), then I think the season is a success.

I would build this team under the guise of pitching and defense, while keeping PK, Lee, and Thomas to fill the middle of the order. Add a splash of Rowand and Uribe to help out with some glovework, and add some actual hitters for average to balance it out, and we've got something. KW is working on building something special. Ozzie is learning on the job, and he's going to be great. This team is doing something here by changing its philosophy, and I'm all for it.

This group of players on the field deserves some boos due to the fact that they're not stepping up and producing. That is probably due to the fact that they're actually trying TOO hard, but whatever. A calm batter is a good one. An overagressive batter is an easy out. Balancing this lineup is going to help, as well as keeping that great pitching. We're going to be okay.

HomeFish
08-12-2004, 08:10 PM
I don't boo. I find that heckling, or just plain yelling at the players, is a far better way to blow off steam.

I personally believing that cheering must be earned, and I will not cheer for somebody simply because he wears Sox pinstripes. Especially if he disgraces that uniform by putting it on.

Also, the Sox did get me back on one occasion. The day after Mark Buerhle gave up 7 runs in the first inning to the Yankees, I had seats in the third row right by the dugout. Mark came out to catch the ceremonial first pitch, and, as he walked by me, I told him what I thought about his performance last night. Rafael Santana then made it known what he thought about me.

Gimm
08-12-2004, 08:16 PM
Also, the Sox did get me back on one occasion. The day after Mark Buerhle gave up 7 runs in the first inning to the Yankees, I had seats in the third row right by the dugout. Mark came out to catch the ceremonial first pitch, and, as he walked by me, I told him what I thought about his performance last night. Rafael Santana then made it known what he thought about me.
So, did you grab your (or someone else's perhaps?) son and run out on the field together to beat Santana's ass?

NonetheLoaiza
08-12-2004, 08:31 PM
Booing shows the managment how passionate we are for our team. One of the great things about Chicago sports is that us fans know our stuff. We expect nothing but a 100% effort from the players. If we see anything else (which we have been seeing hte last couple weeks), we'll boo. I would rather hear booing from the fans than crickets chirping in the stands.

italiancee
08-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Booing shows the managment how passionate we are for our team. One of the great things about Chicago sports is that us fans know our stuff. We expect nothing but a 100% effort from the players. If we see anything else (which we have been seeing hte last couple weeks), we'll boo. I would rather hear booing from the fans than crickets chirping in the stands.
i love how everybody likes too say how they arnt giving it 100%.i think this is our 150% guys.and its not good enough.you can boo all you want.just make sure u give support when something good happens.no matter how insignificant it is.cause i dont know how many games ive been too where nobody gives any voice when something small but good happens.sox games are dull as hell.if you ever been too another stadium youd know what i mean

jordan23ventura
08-12-2004, 11:31 PM
I boo plays, not players.
Unless it's ARod, of course.

CanOfCorn
08-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Oh, I boo a lot of players. Just not our guys.

the_valenstache
08-13-2004, 12:00 AM
Oh, I boo a lot of players. Just not our guys.
Last game I was at, thanks to a unhealthy amount of tailgating, I was heckling Shannon Stewart from the 5th row per everytime he came to bat:

"You have a GIRL'S NAME! BOO! SHANNON IS A GIRL'S NAME!"

Needless to say, it was one of my prouder moments. :gulp:

jackbrohamer
08-13-2004, 03:00 PM
So, did you grab your (or someone else's perhaps?) son and run out on the field together to beat Santana's ass?
I know it's not PC to laugh at Ligue jokes but :rolling:

jabrch
08-13-2004, 03:06 PM

If Magglio and Frank weren't out - this was a very very very good team. I don't blame KW and JR for that.

Gimm
08-13-2004, 03:19 PM
If Magglio and Frank weren't out - this was a very very very good team. I don't blame KW and JR for that.Injuries are part of baseball. You don't pack it in because Frank and Maggs out for season in late July when your team is in 1st or close it. With all due respect to Everett and Robbie, they ain't it. They are cheap depth-padders, not stud replacements for Frank.

JR owes it to me if only for last year. 50 Mill payroll? Seriously, what a travesty.

BlackAndWhite
08-13-2004, 05:45 PM
I don't believe in booing Sox players for any reason. They are OUR team. Booing is reserved for opposing teams.
They're not saying "Boo" sir, they're saying "Boo-urns."