PDA

View Full Version : Someone please refresh my memory...

Wanne
08-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Why wasn't Flash Gordon brought back this year. Was it strictly money or length of contract...or what?!?

OEO Magglio
08-12-2004, 01:31 PM
Why wasn't Flash Gordon brought back this year. Was it strictly money or length of contract...or what?!?Money.

Brian26
08-12-2004, 01:32 PM
Money. No way his arm was going to hold up for what he was asking for.

Huisj
08-12-2004, 01:43 PM
I wonder what his 1.90ish ERA would make our record look like right now. Maybe good for what, 4 or 5 wins that we've blown you think?

Then again, I wonder what his 5 innings pitched that he'll have at this time next year when something snaps in his arm will make the Yankees pen look like. Well, they'll probably just get someone else when that happens, but if it were the Sox and he got hurt, it would probably mean a year of some crappy cast off who stinks instead.

Edit: I just thought of this too. Didn't he say he was looking for a place where he knew he'd be the closer? Didn't the Sox basically say no to that because they had other plans for the closer, like Koch and Shingo? Obviously, when the Yankees offered him the money, the closer thing became a non issue, but I think that that was a sticking point with the Sox--he wanted a closer job and closer money.

jackbrohamer
08-12-2004, 01:50 PM
As with virtually every off-season decision, the issue was $$$

KingXerxes
08-12-2004, 02:01 PM
:reinsy

"C'mon fellas, it wasn't money. Money comes and money goes, only I'll be here forever."

MRKARNO
08-12-2004, 02:05 PM
We weren't going to give him more than the 5 million a year the Yankees were offering and they would have offered more probably if we had offered that much

Wanne
08-12-2004, 02:21 PM
We weren't going to give him more than the 5 million a year the Yankees were offering and they would have offered more probably if we had offered that much

He's getting $3.5M

MRKARNO
08-12-2004, 02:31 PM
He's getting $3.5M
I guess I was wrong, but if you thought we were going to spend 4 million to keep Gordon, then you were wrong.

owensmouth
08-12-2004, 02:33 PM
I wonder what his 1.90ish ERA would make our record look like right now. Maybe good for what, 4 or 5 wins that we've blown you think?

Then again, I wonder what his 5 innings pitched that he'll have at this time next year when something snaps in his arm will make the Yankees pen look like. Well, they'll probably just get someone else when that happens, but if it were the Sox and he got hurt, it would probably mean a year of some crappy cast off who stinks instead.

Edit: I just thought of this too. Didn't he say he was looking for a place where he knew he'd be the closer? Didn't the Sox basically say no to that because they had other plans for the closer, like Koch and Shingo? Obviously, when the Yankees offered him the money, the closer thing became a non issue, but I think that that was a sticking point with the Sox--he wanted a closer job and closer money.
Yup. In spite of all the reality rewriters around here, Gordon wanted out. However, all of the JR haters will claim it was his cheapness.

Wanne
08-12-2004, 02:35 PM
I guess I was wrong, but if you thought we were going to spend 4 million to keep Gordon, then you were wrong.

But then they give Valentin $5M?!?....ouch.

Paulwny
08-12-2004, 02:35 PM
I thought the sox were offering up to $3 mil, 1 yr contract and the yankmees > $3 mil, 2 yr contract.

owensmouth
08-12-2004, 02:37 PM
He was on an option for that amount

StockdaleForVeep
08-13-2004, 12:12 AM
Although i liked tom gordon, despite what he's doin currently, he's not the reliever\closer that he was when he was with boston

He's was constantly loading the bases\getting behind counts when he pitched with us and has had 2 severe injuries in the past 4 years(elbow or shoulder surgery with the bosox and terces muscle tear with the cubs)

No guarentee he'd do good this year, besides, Shingo is doin better this season than Gordon.

Gimm
08-13-2004, 12:37 AM
During the Twins series at the end of June, his OPS hit 925. He also had a league-leading Zone Rating and was doing some exciting-ass things on the base-paths.

You damn right he was worth 5 Mill.

Then came a horrible July and now he is back to being overpaid again. :D:

StockdaleForVeep
08-13-2004, 03:40 AM

How many Shortstops in baseball hit 25-30 hrs a year, yes low avg but he has power uncommon for SS's

mrwag
08-13-2004, 08:12 AM
I'd trade a bunch of those home runs for a higher batting average and higher on-base percentage. Factor in all those strike-outs too.