PDA

View Full Version : Seaver 300th Game

Lip Man 1
08-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Just FYI:

ESPN Classic will be showing Tom Seaver's 300th win from 8/4/85 at New York.

It airs on Friday the 13th starting at 4PM Chicago time.

Lip

idseer
08-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Just FYI:

ESPN Classic will be showing Tom Seaver's 300th win from 8/4/85 at New York.

It airs on Friday the 13th starting at 4PM Chicago time.

Lip
all i remember for sure is harold made the game-ending catch at the wall in right.

sendimjoey
08-12-2004, 01:22 PM
I'm fairly certain that the last out was a fly ball to left field and that it was caught by -- and I hate to bring his name up -- Jerry Dybzinski. I'm going to look it up on retrosheet now.

Baby Fisk
08-12-2004, 01:22 PM
I love how the fans all go nuts cheering for Seaver (in a Sox unie) at the end. I read somewhere that the NY media were taken aback by the love shown for Tom Terrific this day. Probably the most loudly-cheered Sox win outside Chicago ever. :cool:

Brian26
08-12-2004, 01:27 PM
I'm fairly certain that the last out was a fly ball to left field and that it was caught by -- and I hate to bring his name up -- Jerry Dybzinski. I'm going to look it up on retrosheet now.

No, Reid Nichols caught it in left.

:hawk

"History!"

Paulwny
08-12-2004, 01:27 PM
It was Phil Rizzuto Day at yankmee stadium. At the microphone he thanked the crowd and turned slightly toward the bull pen and said, "Not today Seaver, not today". One of my fondest memories.

Brian26
08-12-2004, 01:28 PM
I love how the fans all go nuts cheering for Seaver (in a Sox unie) at the end. I read somewhere that the NY media were taken aback by the love shown for Tom Terrific this day. Probably the most loudly-cheered Sox win outside Chicago ever. :cool:

A lot of Mets fan were there that day, so it was their way of sticking it to the Yankees. You can hear a lot of "Let's Go Mets" chants in the background. I think '85 was the first year that the Mets really were contending for the NL East title, and the Yankees were stuggling a bit.

Brian26
08-12-2004, 01:30 PM
all i remember for sure is harold made the game-ending catch at the wall in right.

It wasn't the last out, but it was in the 9th inning. The catch was unbelievable. I think Seaver just turned out to look at Baines and shook his head in disbelief and gratefulness after the play. Harold hit the wall hard.

"Some guys might hit a wall AS HARD, but nobody will ever hit one HARDER than Harold did that day."

sendimjoey
08-12-2004, 01:32 PM
OK, I was partially right. The last out was to left, but it was a different No. 20 who caught it -- Reid Nichols. Here's some of the info from retrosheet.org. The link: http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B08040NYA1985.htm

And some snippets from their play-by-play, courtesy of retrosheet:

Chicago White Sox 4, New York Yankees 1

Game Played on Sunday, August 4, 1985 (D) at Yankee Stadium

WHITE SOX 8TH: Guillen lined to left; Salazar made an out to
first; NICHOLS BATTED FOR LAW; Nichols singled; FLETCHER BATTED
FOR LITTLE; Fletcher made an out to right; 0 R, 1 H, 0 E, 1 LOB.
White Sox 4, Yankees 1.

YANKEES 8TH: NICHOLS STAYED IN GAME (PLAYING LF); FLETCHER
STAYED IN GAME (PLAYING 2B); Meacham singled; Henderson was
called out on strikes; Griffey forced Meacham (second to
shortstop) [Griffey to first]; Mattingly singled [Griffey to
third]; Winfield struck out; 0 R, 2 H, 0 E, 2 LOB. White Sox 4,
Yankees 1.

WHITE SOX 9TH: ALLEN REPLACED SHIRLEY (PITCHING); Baines
grounded out (first unassisted); Walker struck out; Fisk lined
to right; 0 R, 0 H, 0 E, 0 LOB. White Sox 4, Yankees 1.

YANKEES 9TH: Pasqua singled; Hassey struck out; Randolph made anout to right; Pagliarulo walked [Pasqua to second]; BAYLOR BATTED FOR MEACHAM; Baylor made an out to left; Seaver's300th win; 0 R, 1 H, 0 E, 2 LOB. White Sox 4, Yankees 1.Final Totals R H E LOB White Sox 4 13 1 10 Yankees 1 6 0 8Read Me (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/Bdescr.htm)

Baby Fisk
08-12-2004, 01:35 PM
A lot of Mets fan were there that day, so it was their way of sticking it to the Yankees. You can hear a lot of "Let's Go Mets" chants in the background. I think '85 was the first year that the Mets really were contending for the NL East title, and the Yankees were stuggling a bit.Oh gosh, the period of 1982-1994 is the Golden Era for Yankee Haters like myself. It seems impossible looking back, but for over a decade the Yankees regressed into a AA organization that resembled a circus after the Bronx Zoo years. They seemed to struggle every year, putting one dud after another on the field, along with a revolving door of clownish managers. There's a book called Damned Yankees (by Bill Madden) that chronicles this pathetic and most excellent chapter in Yankees history. :cool:

Paulwny
08-12-2004, 01:36 PM
It wasn't the last out, but it was in the 9th inning. The catch was unbelievable. I think Seaver just turned out to look at Baines and shook his head in disbelief and gratefulness after the play. Harold hit the wall hard.

"Some guys might hit a wall AS HARD, but nobody will ever hit one HARDER than Harold did that day."
I may be mistaken , but that play may have been the beginning of Harold's knee problems. Most people don't know that Harold was an above ave rf with a great arm.

idseer
08-12-2004, 02:33 PM

interesting. i would have sworn it ended the game. ah well the memory can be a tricky thing. :smile:

ChiWhiteSox1337
08-12-2004, 02:58 PM
:angry: Stupid Insight only has ESPN Classic as a channel on digital cable. Half of the channels I got on regular Comcast cable are considered digital channels by insight.

MikeW
08-12-2004, 10:42 PM
I actually had tickets to that game that was originally a game of the week on Saturday. As luck would have it, it poured rain and Seaver was bumped until Sunday. So,I got to see it on TV and laughed like heck when that cow knocked Rizzutto on his duff. Nichols did catch the last out of the game.