PDA

View Full Version : Sox prospects debut in the AFL

Vsahajpal
10-02-2001, 08:39 PM
A buddy of mine attended the Solar Sox opening game today.

Borchard and Olivo started for Mesa.

Borchard played a fine CF. He gets a really good jump and made a fine running catch headed for the left-center gap. He did misplay a line shot hit directly at him in the 6th inning, and tried in vain to make a shoestring catch. He did knock the ball down and hold the batter to a single.

At the plate, he was 0-3 with a K, BB, and two groundouts (6-3, 1-3).

Olivo started behind the plate and was solid. He's really adept at blocking pitches in the dirt. He threw out a runner trying to steal 2b with a little help from Cubs 2b Bobby Hill. The throw was behind Hill, but he dove to catch and applied a swipe tag to nab the runner.

Olivo was 1-4 with an infield single.

Sox reliever, Kyle Kane was scheduled to pitch, but didn't enter the game.

czalgosz
10-02-2001, 08:44 PM
Hill kind of struggled this season, didn't he? Wasn't he hurt?

Vsahajpal
10-02-2001, 08:50 PM
Hill played very well, hitting .320 before going down with a hamstring injury. He came back in early August and finished with a .301 average, .396 SLG, and most importantly .397 OBP.

He showed some pop, 3 HR and 21 RBI in 57 games, while drawing 32 walks and striking out just 39 times in 209 AB's. He committed just 6 errors in 54 games at 2b; not bad considering he switched from SS.

He was promoted to Iowa late in the season and started for Iowa in the playoffs. Didn't do much, but the Cubs were pleased with his progress after the injury. Hopefully, he replaces Eric Old next season; depends on his AFL and Spring Training performance.

czalgosz
10-02-2001, 08:52 PM
I admit I don't know much about him; how's his speed? Is he a potential leadoff hitter?

Vsahajpal
10-02-2001, 08:57 PM
BA recently listed him as one of the top leadoff prospects in the minors behind Carl Crawford (who was phenomenal in today's AFL Game; 3-4 with a run scored).

He's got very good speed, and is an excellent baserunner.

Originally drafted by your Chicago White Sox.

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Originally drafted by your Chicago White Sox.

Yeah I wonder who to blame for him not signing...

:reinsy
Yeah I'm to blame, what are you going to do about it?

Vsahajpal
10-02-2001, 09:08 PM
Ed Lynch was one of the scouts attending the game today. My buddy asked him why they didn't draft Borchard (since the 2000 draft was under the Lynch regime)

In his infinite wisdom, Lynch responds "I don't know, he's a good player."

what a tool.

czalgosz
10-02-2001, 09:11 PM
Lynch knew that Borchard would command a big bonus to not play football for Stanford. The Trib Corp keeps a tight hold on the Cubs pursestrings. As to why the Sox were willing to pay Borchard and not Bobby Hill, only the shadow knows...

Vsahajpal
10-02-2001, 09:14 PM
The Cubs lacked middle infield talent before that draft, so that's why they chose Montanez (SS) and Hill in the first two rounds.

Borchard would've been expensive, but the Cubs have given out some sizeable bonuses as of late. They gave Patterson 3.75 million, and just gave Prior a 4 million bonus in addition to a 5 year major league contract worth 10.5 million.

I don't think Borchard was much of a football prospect.

czalgosz
10-02-2001, 09:18 PM
Borchard wasn't thinking NFL, of course, but he could have gone back to Stanford and reentered the draft this year. The Sox gave him a lot of money not to do that.

Vsahajpal
10-03-2001, 12:02 AM
Turned out to be a great move. I recall reading that Borchard was the only guy in the draft that Schaeffer thought would make a difference. He got his man, fortunately for the Sox.

Vsahajpal
10-03-2001, 11:05 AM
Just a correction, Kyle Kane did enter the game and pitched a scoreless ninth, allowing 2 hits while striking out 2 others.

Randar68
10-03-2001, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
I don't think Borchard was much of a football prospect.

Mel Kiper Jr. was quoted as saying he would be one of the top 3 QB's coming out in his draft class. That's top 15 pick right there, so yes, he was a good football prospect. He threw for around 350 yards in his first ever college start against either UCLA or USC, can't remember...

Vsahajpal
10-03-2001, 01:08 PM
Ok, I stand corrected. My premise is that the Cubs could've given him the same bonus the Sox did, but chose not too. What really irks me is Lynch's response as to why he wasn't drafted.

Guerrier is scheduled to pitch today at Phoenix. I should have a report by 6-7 tonight.

Randar68
10-03-2001, 01:14 PM
Ok, I stand corrected. My premise is that the Cubs could've given him the same bonus the Sox did, but chose not too. What really irks me is Lynch's response as to why he wasn't drafted.

Yeah, that is frustrating. Montanez is a good player, but he's still a long ways from contributing at the MLB level. I am still upset over Richie and Zeringue, but I can handle Hill, he didn't have a ton of leverage, and Boras is his agent......Hummel isn't as fast and may not hit for quite the average Hill will, but Hummel has .280-20-80 potential and doesn't strike out, so he's a good option at 2B for the Sox in Hill's place.

I have to think that Hill would be the Sox opening day starter next year at 2B had they signed him and this been his 2nd full pro season....

Joel Perez
10-03-2001, 01:20 PM
When Bobby Hill was drafted by the Scrubs, Baseball America compared him to a young Craig Biggio. High praise indeed.

Vsahajpal
10-03-2001, 01:21 PM
Speaking of Hummel, he'll probably get the start at 2b since Hill went the distance yesterday. Strong right side of the infield with Hummel and Choi today.

Also, my dream outfield of Kelton in left, Borchard in right, and Nic Jackson in center...

what could've been...

I hate lynch.