PDA

View Full Version : Crede: What is the deal here?

Baby Fisk
08-12-2004, 09:54 AM
Joe Crede is hitting .232 and he looks asleep every day. Is this his top level of play? Is he lazy? Is he done? I started the season as a Friend Of JC, but those days are long past. What is the deal here?

BigEdWalsh
08-12-2004, 10:00 AM
:crede "Hey!! Lay off! I'm hittin' better than Scott Spezio!!"

SoxxoS
08-12-2004, 10:00 AM
Joe Crede is hitting .232 and he looks asleep every day. Is this his top level of play? Is he lazy? Is he done? I started the season as a Friend Of JC, but those days are long past. What is the deal here?
I don't think he is lazy as much as he is stubborn. He has some talent, especially defensively. He proved he could hit in the minors. But...he obviously hasn't fixed his swing (and I am guessing here) hasn't been listening to Walker. You may or may not like Walker, but I am sure he has came up with some suggestions as to what the problem is. Crede's swing is mind-numbingly slow, and it's looked the same this whole year. Actually, occasionally if he has to move a runner over and go to the left side, he looks like a different player with a short, compact swing. But 95% it's long and slow, and 15 times he has got lucky and hit the ball hard. (On a side note, that "curveball" by Grienke yesterday I think all of WSI could have hit for a homer. That was a cookie of Mrs. Field's proportions).

jshanahanjr
08-12-2004, 10:01 AM
I wish we had Spezio!

SoxxoS
08-12-2004, 10:02 AM
I am going to start wishing for Jeff Cirillo/Chris Snopek pretty soon.

:chunks

idseer
08-12-2004, 10:13 AM
I don't think he is lazy as much as he is stubborn. He has some talent, especially defensively. He proved he could hit in the minors. But...he obviously hasn't fixed his swing (and I am guessing here) hasn't been listening to Walker. You may or may not like Walker, but I am sure he has came up with some suggestions as to what the problem is. Crede's swing is mind-numbingly slow, and it's looked the same this whole year. Actually, occasionally if he has to move a runner over and go to the left side, he looks like a different player with a short, compact swing. But 95% it's long and slow, and 15 times he has got lucky and hit the ball hard. (On a side note, that "curveball" by Grienke yesterday I think all of WSI could have hit for a homer. That was a cookie of Mrs. Field's proportions).
i also think his defense is being over-rated. he is not a hack like jose was at third but he's also no exceptional fielder. he's fair to decent imo.
if we have more of him to look forward to next year we will be starting out with a glaring weakness. 3rd base is a hitters' position and he apparently cannot handle it.

samram
08-12-2004, 10:24 AM
If only we could get Greg Norton back.:D:

ChiSoxBobette
08-12-2004, 10:52 AM
If only we could get Greg Norton back.:D:
No But I'd sure as heck go after Troy Glaus this off season until Josh Fields is ready. I personally think the White Sox are done with Crede because if they thought he was going to be a mainstay at third base for a long time they would'nt have drafted a 3rd basemen in this last draft that high.

idseer
08-12-2004, 10:55 AM
No But I'd sure as heck go after Troy Glaus this off season until Josh Fields is ready. I personally think the White Sox are done with Crede because if they thought he was going to be a mainstay at third base for a long time they would'nt have drafted a 3rd basemen in this last draft that high.
so, is josh fields another one of those chickens we'll be counting before he hatches? (assuming he hatches)

mdep524
08-12-2004, 10:59 AM
so, is josh fields another one of those chickens we'll be counting before he hatches? (assuming he hatches)Yeah, I hope I'm wrong, but "Josh Fields" sounds like Infielder-dialect for "Joe Borchard." :(: Former football player...great "power potential"....good athlete (but not necessarily a baseball player).. very "projectable"...

Again, I hope I'm wrong....

Brian26
08-12-2004, 11:31 AM
I was hoping hard last night that Crede would come through in the 9th with the bases jammed. The sac fly just wasn't enough in that situation though.

BainesHOF
08-12-2004, 11:33 AM
i also think his defense is being over-rated. he is not a hack like jose was at third but he's also no exceptional fielder.
You are correct. He's solid, but certainly not exceptional. How many times does Crede make a great play? The answer: Not many.

How many popups did he screw up in one Oakland series? The answer: Three.

The bottom line is Crede's defense does not come close to making up for his weak hitting. I think his defense has become overrated because his hitting is so awful that his fielding looks great by comparison.

JB98
08-12-2004, 11:46 AM
You are correct. He's solid, but certainly not exceptional. How many times does Crede make a great play? The answer: Not many.

How many popups did he screw up in one Oakland series? The answer: Three.

The bottom line is Crede's defense does not come close to making up for his weak hitting. I think his defense has become overrated because his hitting is so awful that his fielding looks great by comparison.
Awful doesn't even begin to describe his hitting. May struck him out on three pitches last night, overpowering him with three straight 84 mph fastballs. All of them were center-cut and very hittable.

MisterB
08-12-2004, 11:49 AM
No But I'd sure as heck go after Troy Glaus this off season until Josh Fields is ready. I personally think the White Sox are done with Crede because if they thought he was going to be a mainstay at third base for a long time they would'nt have drafted a 3rd basemen in this last draft that high.1) I know Glaus had rotator cuff & labrum surgery on his throwing shoulder, which might put his future as a 3B-man in doubt. Although he may be a 1B option if the Sox deal Konerko.

2) Fields' pick has little if anything to do with Joe Crede. Fields was deemed the best talent available (which is always open for debate) and signable, plus the Sox have little organizational depth at 3B. Also keep in mind that any draftees would be expected to spend 3 or 4 years (or more for HS players) in the minors. Heck, the Sox #1 pick in '92 was a firstbaseman so obviously they were already looking to replace Frank Thomas.

owensmouth
08-12-2004, 11:57 AM
1) I know Glaus had rotator cuff & labrum surgery on his throwing shoulder, which might put his future as a 3B-man in doubt. Although he may be a 1B option if the Sox deal Konerko.

2) Fields' pick has little if anything to do with Joe Crede. Fields was deemed the best talent available (which is always open for debate) and signable, plus the Sox have little organizational depth at 3B. Also keep in mind that any draftees would be expected to spend 3 or 4 years (or more for HS players) in the minors. Heck, the Sox #1 pick in '92 was a firstbaseman so obviously they were already looking to replace Frank Thomas.
Glaus isn't going anywhere. The Angels recognize what they have with and without Glaus.

It's way too early to draw any conclusions about Josh Fields. Guys like him will take extra time to convert from general sports stars to specific baseball personnel. Figure at least three more years in the minors.