PDA

View Full Version : This Day In Sox History 8/12

Lip Man 1
08-12-2004, 01:01 AM
This Date In Sox History 8/12

8-12-55: Sox 2 at Det. 1- Virgil ‘Fire’ Trucks gets the win as the Sox move to 66-44 only a game off the lead in the American League.

8-12-59: Sox 11 at Det. 6 - For the Sox getting eleven runs in a game especially in the late 50's was a laugher but this one took some time. Barry Latman got the start but didn’t last long so Gerry Staley got the relief win when the Sox finally broke it open late. The Sox were now 67-43 and had a two and a half game lead in the American League.

8-12-60: Sox 6 K.C. 4 - With Bob Shaw dealing the Sox got the win, went to 62-47 on the season and were hanging right in a three team race. They were now only a game and a half back in the American League.

8-12-72: Sox 3 at Oak. 1 (11) - Game three of the biggest series of the year went to the Sox dramatically. Ed Spezio, acquired by Roland Hemond from San Diego when Bill Melton was lost with a back injury, cranked out a two run home run in the 11th to break the one all tie. Wilbur Wood went the distance allowing only two hits, both to Brant Alyea (including a two out home run in the last of the 9th) to grab his 20th win and more importantly put the Sox in first place by percentage points. As the game ended Harry Caray let out his famous call...’the White Sox are coming tra-la,la-la!’ The Sox were now 62-45.

8-12-90: Rain out at home against Texas. Why is this listed? Funny you should ask! The Sox set what is believed to be the longest wait in baseball history before calling a game because of rain. The Sox were slated to play the Rangers at Comiskey Park in an afternoon contest. Persistent rains cause a delay before the first pitch was even thrown. Because this was the last trip into Chicago by Texas, and it was in the middle of a pennant race, the Sox waited until the mid evening before "officially" calling the game. The wait lasted over eight hours! Players waited in the locker room, ate, played cards, watched TV, even slept. As it turned out the Sox had to play the make up game in Arlington as part of a double header.

Lip

sendimjoey
08-12-2004, 12:23 PM
8-12-90: Rain out at home against Texas. Why is this listed? Funny you should ask! The Sox set what is believed to be the longest wait in baseball history before calling a game because of rain. The Sox were slated to play the Rangers at Comiskey Park in an afternoon contest. Persistent rains cause a delay before the first pitch was even thrown. Because this was the last trip into Chicago by Texas, and it was in the middle of a pennant race, the Sox waited until the mid evening before "officially" calling the game. The wait lasted over eight hours! Players waited in the locker room, ate, played cards, watched TV, even slept. As it turned out the Sox had to play the make up game in Arlington as part of a double header.

LipMuch less important from a historical perspective, but much more important to me: That game was the last time I visited Old Comiskey Park. Soon after, I was back in Champaign-Urbana for my sophomore year. Man, a rainout during my last chance to see a game at the old ball yard. How fitting. :(:

Edit: Dad and I didn't stick around for the whole delay, I should add. :tongue: