10-02-2001, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
George is old and fat. (Just a hunch)

:jon
How's my buddy Matt Karchner doing?

Nice one Jerry.

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 07:34 PM
I don't think that is trolling Mr. Positive. West will let us know though. He is just excited for Sosa, since the Cubs will be joining the Sox on the golf course this year.

czalgosz
10-02-2001, 07:36 PM
I saw an interesting article today about Sammy Sosa and hitting when it's important. It was really a pretty simple equation - they looked at the total number of runs Sammy produced (RBI + R - HR) and then figured out how many of those runs were scored in games that the Cubs won. The runs produced in games the Cubs lost were not counted. They found that Sammy was something like 9th in the NL in "important runs produced" ie, runs that came in a win. The NL leader? Jeff Bagwell. (wonder how many MVP votes Bagwell will get this year?) About 32% of the runs that Sammy produced (which were a lot, admittedly) came during Cubs wins. Which is surprising, when you figure that the Cubs will have a winning record this year...

KempersRS
10-02-2001, 07:36 PM
I don't think that is trolling Mr. Positive. West will let us know though. He is just excited for Sosa, since the Cubs will be joining the Sox on the golf course this year.

He is happy for Sammy, I don't mind that at all. He can cheer for Sammy all he wants, but why go to a White Sox board to tell them that Sammy has hit 60? Maybe it belongs in the parking lot, but I think it is a stupid post to put on a White Sox main message board.

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
Nice one Jerry.

Thanks but it's grasping for straws.
Jon hasn't done much yet, but that trade is looking pretty dumb. That would be like trading the "GasCan" for Juan Cruz. Or something like that.

:lynch&mcfail
We would like to know more about this "GasCan".

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
He can cheer for Sammy all he wants, but why go to a White Sox board to tell them that Sammy has hit 60? Maybe it belongs in the parking lot, but I think it is a stupid post to put on a White Sox main message board.

He seems like a nice guy, just a rookie mistake. Randar said he was cool, so he's ok in my book.

Spiff
10-02-2001, 08:10 PM

He seems like a nice guy, just a rookie mistake. Randar said he was cool, so he's ok in my book.

Randar said I was cool too. Of course, he also said I have a good mid-nineties fastball, a devistating slider and a decent changeup.

j/k randar your reports are second to none :)

FarWestChicago
10-02-2001, 08:19 PM
I don't think that is trolling Mr. Positive. West will let us know though. He is just excited for Sosa, since the Cubs will be joining the Sox on the golf course this year. :troll

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
troll picture

Well there's my answer.
I'm going to have to read up on my WSI Message Board rules. :)

Vsahajpal
10-02-2001, 08:23 PM
ok, ok, my bad.

Inside the park HR for Vina. Cards about to ruin the Flubs season! woo hoo!

better?

FarWestChicago
10-02-2001, 08:27 PM
It was only a mild trolling. Nothing egregious by any means. :)

czalgosz
10-02-2001, 08:27 PM
Back in May, I swore (on this board) that if the Cubs made the playoffs, I would strip down and paint myself Cubby Blue and run down the street naked. They had me worried for a while...

Spiff
10-02-2001, 08:31 PM

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Back in May, I swore (on this board) that if the Cubs made the playoffs, I would strip down and paint myself Cubby Blue and run down the street naked. They had me worried for a while...

Well even if they did, I doubt anyone from this board who lives in California was going to make sure you went through with it.

HootieMcBoob
10-02-2001, 09:16 PM
:lynch&mcfail We would like to know more about this "GasCan".

LOL!!! You make them sound so serious like they'd really consider trading cruz for him!!!!!!

who knows.....they might!

cheeses_h_rice
10-02-2001, 09:34 PM
Sorry, but I am disgusted to come on WHITE SOX INTERACTIVE and have to read a giddy pro-Sam-ME post like Vsajjajdjdja..'s.

Even if it isn't trolling, I don't want to read it. I don't think anyone here wants to read it.

Why do you continue to let this guy post on here? Isn't that what ESPN, etc. are for? I could care less if he's a nice guy and knows a lot. We get enough Sam-ME ass-licking from every other media source in this city. Can't we be protected in our "own" board?

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Sorry, but I am disgusted to come on WHITE SOX INTERACTIVE and have to read a giddy pro-Sam-ME post like Vsajjajdjdja..'s.
Even if it isn't trolling, I don't want to read it. I don't think anyone here wants to read it.
Why do you continue to let this guy post on here? Isn't that what ESPN, etc. are for? I could care less if he's a nice guy and knows a lot. We get enough Sam-ME ass-licking from every other media source in this city. Can't we be protected in our "own" board?

I'm sure West will take care of this Cheeses. Sorry for calling him a nice guy. Didn't know that wasn't cool with you.

cheeses_h_rice
10-02-2001, 09:41 PM
I'm not jumping on anyone for calling him a nice guy or in any way encouraging him.

I just think that the board admins need to keep this place strictly pro-White Sox within reason. There is absolutely no reason why I have to come on here and basically see the same masturbatory crap I see on the ESPN Flubbie board, and that's what his post was. I could care less about Sosa's achievements this year. He's an ass.

I'm serious. This is "our" house, isn't it?

Chisox353014
10-02-2001, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
where's George Bell?

60 HR
150 RBI

history.

Where's first place?

4 1/2 game lead August 1st
6 games back October 2nd

history.

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 09:45 PM
I'm not jumping on anyone for calling him a nice guy or in any way encouraging him.
I just think that the board admins need to keep this place strictly pro-White Sox within reason. I could care less about Sosa's achievements this year. He's an ass.

Oh I thought you were jumping on me.
Well I'm not an admin but again I'm sure the people who are will take care of this.

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
Where's first place?

4 1/2 game lead August 1st
6 games back October 2nd

history.

That was better then my Matt Karchner post.

Daver
10-02-2001, 09:48 PM

I just think that the board admins need to keep this place strictly pro-White Sox within reason. There is absolutely no reason why I have to come on here and basically see the same masturbatory crap I see on the ESPN Flubbie board, and that's what his post was. I could care less about Sosa's achievements this year. He's an ass.

I'm serious. This is "our" house, isn't it?

Should they also ban outcastradio,he is not a Sox fan,but is not a troll either,and if my memeory serves me right ma-gaga is a twins fan,I have no problem with intelligent baseball talk,and 60 HR's is something to talk about.
But then again what the hell do I know?

cheeses_h_rice
10-02-2001, 09:49 PM
Adam Dunn solo shot in the 9th.

5-4 Reds.

Somebody get ready to pull the plug on the Flubbies' Blue Fairy Dust Express...

cheeses_h_rice
10-02-2001, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by daver

Should they also ban outcastradio,he is not a Sox fan,but is not a troll either,and if my memeory serves me right ma-gaga is a twins fan,I have no problem with intelligent baseball talk,and 60 HR's is something to talk about.

Absolutely not. Outcast does not come on here to gloat, but does talk baseball. I had no idea ma-gaga was even a Twins fan.

But a post called "60 for Sammy!" with an exclamation point? That sounds like something straight from the Flubbiebunker. I'd be willing to bet if you went over there tonight and posted "Cards win! Flubs lose!" you wouldn't be too welcome.

And it's not like someone wouldn't have mentioned Sosa's 60th, otherwise. We've all been making lots of Bonds/Moron/Sam-ME jokes along those lines.

Vsahajpal
10-02-2001, 09:55 PM
I saw an interesting article today about Sammy Sosa and hitting when it's important. It was really a pretty simple equation - they looked at the total number of runs Sammy produced (RBI + R - HR) and then figured out how many of those runs were scored in games that the Cubs won. The runs produced in games the Cubs lost were not counted. They found that Sammy was something like 9th in the NL in "important runs produced" ie, runs that came in a win. The NL leader? Jeff Bagwell. (wonder how many MVP votes Bagwell will get this year?) About 32% of the runs that Sammy produced (which were a lot, admittedly) came during Cubs wins. Which is surprising, when you figure that the Cubs will have a winning record this year...

You can add the 60th to that category as it look like the Cubs will lose tonight.

man, it's gonna be a long offseason.

FarWestChicago
10-02-2001, 10:30 PM

Why do you continue to let this guy post on here? Isn't that what ESPN, etc. are for? I could care less if he's a nice guy and knows a lot. We get enough Sam-ME ass-licking from every other media source in this city. Can't we be protected in our "own" board? Uh oh. Looks like I'm in trouble again. I never do seem to get things quite right...sigh...

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 10:35 PM
Uh oh. Looks like I'm in trouble again. I never do seem to get things quite right...sigh...

It looks like a battle you cannot win West.

Vsahajpal
10-02-2001, 11:42 PM
:santo

Oh Nooooooooooooooooo!

what have I started.

I apologize if I upset ya.

FarWestChicago
10-02-2001, 11:45 PM
:santo

Oh Nooooooooooooooooo!

what have I started.

I apologize if I upset ya. I put a warning on the title. I hope that works for everybody.

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 11:46 PM
what have I started.

I apologize if I upset ya.

People don't mind if you post here just keep the pro-Sosa/pro-cubs content off.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-02-2001, 11:49 PM

I agree with daver. 60 homeruns is something to talk about. I think its funny that a Cub fan would post it and then run like hell when his team loses to lowly Cincinnati and gets eliminated from the playoffs. But isn't that what most Cubs fans are for--comic relief?

And in answer to Cheeses, yes this board has a no troll policy. If Mr. V ever chooses to go off on Frank Thomas or some other Sox ballplayer with some silly name calling, or claiming the neighborhood is filled with murderers, or calling Sox Fans and the South Side snooty names I promise you we will BAN him, and then EMBARRASS him, to a point of HUMILIATION so deep, he'll wish he had never stepped foot inside our door.

As a long-time poster, you know this is true.

Vsahajpal
10-02-2001, 11:51 PM
yup, consider it done.

I actually meant it as a harmless jab, but I guess I gotta earn my stripes.

No more Sosa messages from me.

ma-gaga
10-03-2001, 09:53 AM

Absolutely not. Outcast does not come on here to gloat, but does talk baseball. I had no idea ma-gaga was even a Twins fan.

But a post called "60 for Sammy!" with an exclamation point? That sounds like something straight from the Flubbiebunker. I'd be willing to bet if you went over there tonight and posted "Cards win! Flubs lose!" you wouldn't be too welcome.

And it's not like someone wouldn't have mentioned Sosa's 60th, otherwise. We've all been making lots of Bonds/Moron/Sam-ME jokes along those lines.

I try to keep as incognito/unbiased as possible, but yes, the Twinkies are my #1 team. However, I've slowly become twisted to liking a division rival. I laugh my ass off here at least once a day going through the posts.

Plus i get to make really stupid commentary regarding the WTC attacks. "Peace, love, nuke em from orbit".

:cleo
'So, how about that Royce Clayton? Isn't he da man? Batting 0.392 in September. I told you so!'

Soxboyrob
10-03-2001, 10:20 AM
yup, consider it done.

I actually meant it as a harmless jab, but I guess I gotta earn my stripes.

No more Sosa messages from me.

No harm done to my feelings. There is nothing wrong w/ discussing that Sosa had another excellent year, just the same as no harm in noting the same about Bonds, Thome, or whomever.

Personally, I get a kick out of the occasional reminder of the Bell for Sosa trade....or the Garland for Karschner deal. What's wrong w/ a little friendly fueling of the rivalry? If nothing else, it keeps baseball talk interesting in the Chicago area.

Your posts have shown no signs of goofball anti-Sox trolling. There shouldn't be anything wrong w/ showing your Cubbie favoritism here, as long as it's done reasonably.

That said, you're right. Sosa was truly phenomenal this season. I'm in awe of his offensive output the same way I was in awe of Frank Thomas' stats from '90 - '97. I don't really follow this stuff about "important RBI's" very well, since such a designation is entirely subjective. When you drive in the amount that Sosa has, more than enough of them are important.

However, Bonds deserves the MVP.....Hands down, no doubt about it. He's having one of the most incredible seasons in baseball history.

Soxboyrob
10-03-2001, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz
It was really a pretty simple equation - they looked at the total number of runs Sammy produced (RBI + R - HR) and then figured out how many of those runs were scored in games that the

Run Production being computed at RBI + R - HR is really a pretty dumb way to look at it. You are leaving too much of the run production equation up to the hitters around a particular batter. Meaning, any great hitter in the middle of a horrible lineup is going to be prone to having a lower run production than a guy in the middle of a lineup like the Indians or the Mariners.

For a true measure of run production, I'd look into the Runs Created formula used by some of the fantasy league trackers. It takes OBP, SLG, sac flies, and many other of the finer points and puts them into an equation that uses historical data and equates how many runs a team could expect to score if it's lineup were comprised of 9 of that same person. Studies have shown that applying this equation to a team's season stats gives a margin of error of a max of about 2-2.5%. That ain't too bad.

http://webstu.messiah.edu/~cs1188/cc/baseball/technic.htm

Check it out. I'm not a guru when it comes to this use of stats, but find it very telling and interesting. When applying it to Bonds' season, he checks out as the MVP by a wide margin.

cheeses_h_rice
10-03-2001, 11:04 AM
Thanks for changing the subject name, FWC. I've cooled off a bit from last night, and I do not mind if Vsaj posts here, so long as he doesn't try to make this yet another message board for pro-Cub talk -- god knows there are plenty of forums already out there, which is why I got upset. The idea of WSI being peppered with pro-Sham-ME talk just doesn't sit right with me. I am not out to snuff discussion of the Flubs' merits or any of their players' merits; I just want to avoid a slippery slope where suddenly it's safe in here for Flub fans to be cheerleading about their team. There are other forums for pro-Flubs discussion; I don't think WSI should be one of them.

Moses_Scurry
10-03-2001, 11:45 AM
where's George Bell?

Probably polishing his '93 division champion trophy!

You know, the one that Sosa doesn't have!!

Randar68
10-03-2001, 11:55 AM
Absolutely not. Outcast does not come on here to gloat, but does talk baseball

*****!!! Unless CC. Fatman beats the Sox and is proclaimed the next Randy Johnson for his "5 1/3 innings of fury" routine....

FarWestChicago
10-03-2001, 12:02 PM
Thanks for changing the subject name, FWC. I've cooled off a bit from last night, and I do not mind if Vsaj posts here, so long as he doesn't try to make this yet another message board for pro-Cub talk -- god knows there are plenty of forums already out there, which is why I got upset. The idea of WSI being peppered with pro-Sham-ME talk just doesn't sit right with me. I am not out to snuff discussion of the Flubs' merits or any of their players' merits; I just want to avoid a slippery slope where suddenly it's safe in here for Flub fans to be cheerleading about their team. There are other forums for pro-Flubs discussion; I don't think WSI should be one of them. VS so far seems to fall into the Outcast/ma-gaga category. I don't think he will don the 21 jersey and floppy hat and start running around like a drunk. Of course, if he or anybody else does, we all know who the Fastest Gun in the West is. :)

Vsahajpal
10-03-2001, 12:06 PM
floppy hats suck. Almost as much as those Dr. Seuss hats that were "en vogue" about 3-4 years ago.

LongDistanceFan
10-03-2001, 06:34 PM
i am a dieheart fan of the whitesox as these guys are. I enjoy talking baseball with you and enjoyed the conversation with you and randar........... really enjoyed the prospect reports and opinion. It was funny b/c i was going to post something to that effect on a thread.

i have been gone since last night and am coming in at the end of this. If the main people here (phg, fwc)say it is over then so be it. but if i read that stuff correctly, i too would be very angry as much as say cheese. that was said and now taken care off........

as i said, i really enjoyed talking and seeing your reports and even that of some sCrubbs.

Daver
10-03-2001, 08:30 PM
VS so far seems to fall into the Outcast/ma-gaga category. I don't think he will don the 21 jersey and floppy hat and start running around like a drunk. Of course, if he or anybody else does, we all know who the Fastest Gun in the West is. :)

West of what?
And with what type of gun?
You got my Glock itching for action.

:)

FarWestChicago
10-03-2001, 08:48 PM

West of what?
And with what type of gun?
You got my Glock itching for action.

:) I bagged many a troll back in the Rivals days.

Daver
10-03-2001, 09:03 PM
I bagged many a troll back in the Rivals days.

I get my interest piqued whenever the chance to hunt something comes up,sorry FWC.

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 05:41 PM
what is this about the motivational speaker or finesse coach that the sCrubbs have.......... is he a tool or is it that only some players don't like him....... like some that can't cut it anymore.

when i first read this, i was remembering a scene from the movie the natural......

i was laughing at shammie's comments, how he was playing the party line now.........

Vsahajpal
10-04-2001, 06:29 PM
Mack Newton is a tool; he was there almost everyday at ST because he lives on the west coast. He got a lot of credit for the Cubs hot start; they said he brought a new attitude to the club. As the season went on, he was nowhere to be found during the Cubs 2nd half demise. Apparently he met with the team a few weeks back and a couple of the guys who didn't buy into his crap left the room while he was speaking.

Acosta tried to "protect" his pitchers from Newton's exercise regime. So guys like Lieber and Tapani had Acosta's back.

Sammy's either really naive, or trying to get in Baylor's good graces.

He is right on one account, the team is much better without Mark Grace, on the field and off it.

LongDistanceFan
10-04-2001, 06:36 PM
Mack Newton is a tool; he was there almost everyday at ST because he lives on the west coast. He got a lot of credit for the Cubs hot start; they said he brought a new attitude to the club. As the season went on, he was nowhere to be found during the Cubs 2nd half demise. Apparently he met with the team a few weeks back and a couple of the guys who didn't buy into his crap left the room while he was speaking.

Acosta tried to "protect" his pitchers from Newton's exercise regime. So guys like Lieber and Tapani had Acosta's back.

Sammy's either really naive, or trying to get in Baylor's good graces.

He is right on one account, the team is much better without Mark Grace, on the field and off it. thanks