PDA

View Full Version : The Tribe

South Side
08-11-2004, 11:24 PM
Are the Indians for real or are we just down on ourselves b/c we can't put some wins together? I can see the Sox getting back into this race if we can win some games in a row but are the Indians a real threat? They're playing good baseball right now but where were they the first 3 and a half months? They weren't even a .500 team until last week... I personally don't see them sticking around, now next year is a completely different matter...

skobabe8
08-11-2004, 11:27 PM
well if you listen to the media, along with some people here, the indians are the next big red machine. lets wait on that assessment please.

misty60481
08-11-2004, 11:27 PM
Forget Indians we better worry about Detroit now

princek
08-11-2004, 11:46 PM
of course they are for real their top three pitchers have been as good as our top three this year add in the fact that they have a lineup thats balanced and does what they need to win and thats why they have the best ercord in teh second half, also in teh first half their bullpen was atrocious, since they ve gotten howry and wickman theyve been pretty tough to beat.

JB98
08-11-2004, 11:48 PM
The Indians are a good-hitting ballclub, and their starting pitching has been above average all year. The problem was their bullpen, but now that Howry and Wickman are back, they've really started to string together the wins. Are they a threat? Well, it depends on how much faith you have in Howry and Wickman. If either falters, the Tribe are done. If they continue to pitch well, the Tribe could steal the division.

mdep524
08-12-2004, 12:11 AM
The Indians are a very god team, and after tonight they are 2 games up on the Sox for 2nd place.

Time to revive an old one: As a wise man once said....

"Anyone who thinks this team can catch Cleveland is crazy."

:(:

MRKARNO
08-12-2004, 12:23 AM
Here's the thing about Cleveland: A ton of the guys on this team are enjoying career years, but they're such a young team that you can't know whether or not these are breakout years or just career years. Whether Cleveland is a dominant force or not will depend on this, but the thought of having Cleveland dominate this division again makes me sick.

serena
08-12-2004, 12:36 AM
They are putting up some SICK offensive stats... :o:

ChiSoxBobette
08-12-2004, 07:08 AM
[QUOTE=princek]of course they are for real their top three pitchers have been as good as our top three this year add in the fact that they have a lineup thats balanced and does what they need to win and thats why they have the best ercord in teh second half, also in teh first half their bullpen was atrocious, since they ve gotten howry and wickman theyve been pretty tough to beat.[/QUO

Yeah well I think everyone was saying the same about the Royals last year to.

Skorch
08-12-2004, 10:47 AM
I think the Indians are for real. What I saw of them last year playing the Twins hard had me figuring they could be a serious force this season. A lot of their players are still pretty young and cheap, so they could be tough for years yet. Brace yourself.

doublem23
08-12-2004, 10:50 AM
Man, I remember a lot of folks on these boards (you know who you are) saying the exact same garbage about the Royals pre-season (and giving me **** for telling them Kansas City sucked).

Come on, these kids are playing over their heads. It's a nice thought for Chris Berman to tell you the plucky young Indians are for real on ESPN. If they tank in '05 you'll never hear it again; if they go on a tear, you'll see that prediction every day.

:wh1tesox00

SoxxoS
08-12-2004, 10:57 AM
Hafner looks to be Jim Thome lite. Victor Martinez looks like a switch hitting Sandy Alomar in his prime.

They have a lot of talent offensively. But their staff/bullpen leaves a lot to be desired...especially since Cliff Lee woke up and started pitching like he should.

That being said, baseball is a season by season game. BA picked us to win the 04 world series b/c of our stocked minor league system, and that hasn't worked out too well.

idseer
08-12-2004, 11:17 AM
they are without a doubt better than the sox.

MRKARNO
08-12-2004, 12:41 PM
Man, I remember a lot of folks on these boards (you know who you are) saying the exact same garbage about the Royals pre-season (and giving me **** for telling them Kansas City sucked).

I wasn't among those people. They were lucky in so many ways last year from Anderson and May being good to having an average of way over .300 with 2 outs and runners in scoring position as a team. The Indians don't seem to be "lucky" like Kansas CIty, but talented because they have pitching and more solid offensive contributors than KC had. While it was obvious that KC was a fluke, it is not obvious that Cleveland is a fluke, but they easily could be because a lot of guys are having career years.

habibharu
08-12-2004, 01:32 PM
Shapiro has done a great job putting them together. I would not be surprised one bit if the tribe and twins both pass us up last yr. especially if they find a bullpen and if sizemore turns into a stud

OurBitchinMinny
08-12-2004, 01:49 PM
Like I said a month ago, the indians will win this division unless the sox pull their head out of their asses which doesnt look like is going to be happening anytime soon. Minny still might but cleveland is definitely in this till the end. The only question is are the sox?

OEO Magglio
08-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Like I said a month ago, the indians will win this division unless the sox pull their head out of their asses which doesnt look like is going to be happening anytime soon. Minny still might but cleveland is definitely in this till the end. The only question is are the sox?I disagree, this Indians team is a lot like last years royals, the difference is cleveland has two good starters, however with lee really struggling there 3-4-5 starters are awful, with that starting pitching they will not win the division, it will be the sox or twins.

Mudville
08-12-2004, 03:40 PM
I think Cleveland is definitely for real. In contrast to KC last year, they appear to be getting stronger as the season goes on. Yes, Lee is starting to struggle, but their bullpen is improving. They've got real hitters. The main problem they have is a schedule that is even harder than the Twins.