PDA

View Full Version : Illinois State Fair vs. Wisconsin State Fair

Viva Magglio
08-11-2004, 09:45 PM
This week, I saw a television commercial on a Chicago TV station for the Wisconsin State Fair (http://wistatefair.com/home/web2/index.htm), which is currently running in Milwaukee until Sunday, August 15. That got me wondering. It seems that a lot of people from Illinois attend the Wisconsin State Fair, especially those from northern Illinois. I think more people from our part of Illinois go to Milwaukee than Springfield for state fair fun. I have never been to the Wisconsin State Fair so I have no idea what that is like.

I do go to the Illinois State Fair (http://www.agr.state.il.us/isf/) each year, however. I will be in Springfield this weekend for the opening of the fair. First thing I wonder is why the Illinois State Fair does not advertise on Chicago TV. I guess the state's budget woes is the biggest reason. I go to the Illinois State Fair because I live in Illinois. It's sort of a state pride thing, you know. Sure, it takes me about three hours to get to Springfield as opposed to about two to Milwaukee. Between Chicago and Springfield, on I-55, corn is pretty much the only thing you see. However, it's worth it for me.

If you are a state fair goer, do you go to Wisconsin as opposed to Illinois? If so, why?

TDog
08-12-2004, 03:21 AM
I never went to the Wisconsin State Fair when I lived down there, but it was a huge deal with a young crowd. Wisconsin is a lot hipper than a lot of people think. The Alaska State Fair in Haines, by contrast, seems extremely lame. I was told today that the highlight may be the zucchini judging.

Fisk72
08-12-2004, 09:17 AM
My fiancee and I went to the WSF last year and the ISF the year before. I personally thought they were about the same. Animals, rides, fried food that will clog your arteries and rednecks galore.:redneck The only difference really was driving 1 1/2 hours to Milwaukee, as opposed to the 5 hours down to Springfield. It ain't bad when you're starting off in the morning, but by the end of the day (when you've been baking in the sun for hours and sick and tired of the crowds), you're pretty much wishing the 5 hours were 1 1/2. It had been a while since I went down to Springfield, so finally going a couple years ago was pretty nice. If you go and get a hotel room in Springfield, however, I'd definitely recommend "supporting our state!"

MarqSox
08-12-2004, 10:21 AM
I never went to the Wisconsin State Fair when I lived down there, but it was a huge deal with a young crowd. Wisconsin is a lot hipper than a lot of people think. Well said. I've never been to the ISF, so I can't compare the two, but WSF reminds me more of a scaled-down Taste of Chicago than a true Fair. And, believe it or not, it is an excellent place to go for some early 20s eye candy. Sure, there's way too many morbidly obese women wolfing down cream puffs, but there's also a good showing of bikini-clad coeds. :bandance:

JohnBasedowYoda
08-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Well said. I've never been to the ISF, so I can't compare the two, but WSF reminds me more of a scaled-down Taste of Chicago than a true Fair. And, believe it or not, it is an excellent place to go for some early 20s eye candy. Sure, there's way too many morbidly obese women wolfing down cream puffs, but there's also a good showing of bikini-clad coeds. :bandance:
i heard the same thing about the babes...never made it over though. The bear and brats and cheese do wisconsin boobies justice, but at a certain age it catches up with them.

Any of you guys go to ridgefest this year? i was there when the lounge puppets were on. i was tanked

DMarte708
08-12-2004, 10:31 AM
Any of you guys go to ridgefest this year? i was there when the lounge puppets were on. i was tanked
I wasn't at Ridgefest this year, but they usually are good for drawing some quality B-talent musicians. Journey, Pat Benetar, Peter Frampton (:cool: ) REO Speedwagon all for a small town. SOLID.