PDA

View Full Version : Rowand is not laying down

hose
08-11-2004, 04:45 PM
Sandy Alomar jr. was interviewed by J Hood on the Score today and he said Rowand is taking it personal about not being able to lay down a bunt. Instead of feeling sorry for himself or making excuses Rowand is doing something about it.

Aaron came to the park early today and put in a couple of hours practicing bunting.

I will bet that Rowand turns himself into a excellent bunter by next season through hard work and dogged determination to succeed. The guy is a winner.

DickAllen72
08-11-2004, 04:47 PM
Sandy Alomar jr. was interviewed by J Hood on the Score today and he said Rowand is taking it personal about not being able to lay down a bunt. Instead of feeling sorry for himself or making excuses Rowand is doing something about it.

Aaron came to the park early today and put in a couple of hours practicing bunting.

I will bet that Rowand turns himself into a excellent bunter by next season through hard work and dogged determination to succeed. The guy is a winner.

That's the kind of player I like.

Brian26
08-11-2004, 04:48 PM
The more I see Rowand play on an everyday basis, the more I hear about his work ethic, and the more I hear about how good of a guy he is (visiting the kid down in Oak Lawn with Willsy a few weeks back), he's quickly turning into one of my favorite players on the team.

steff
Aaron gets to the park early every day. Wish we could clone his work habits....

Evman5
He looked extremely pissed after his failed bunt with men on 1st and 2nd the other night. A-row is a great player and I am sure he can turn himself into an excellent bunter.

jordan23ventura
08-11-2004, 04:49 PM

If he keeps this up, this guy is going to be GOOD. He's one of the best on team on the basepaths, can hit, has some power, quick, and the best defensive OF we have right now. If he can play "small ball" a bit more, he coud become this team's MVP. Hopefully, he continues and has a real nice year and earns a No. 2 spot in the lineup.

chisox06
08-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Doesn't suprise me at all. You look at Rowand and hes not exactly the prototype center fielder. But this guy has worked his ass off every offseason to get into the shape that he's in to be able to compete. Rowand wasn't given his talents, he works hard to acquire them. The guys work ethic is outstanding, thats why hes one of my favorites.

OEO Magglio
08-11-2004, 04:55 PM
Glad to hear that. I like guys who will not make excuses but will just go out and do something to fix their problem.

LASOXFAN
08-11-2004, 05:14 PM
Aaron gets to the park early every day. Wish we could clone his work habits....
Ain't that the truth. But at least it's a starting point. Bring in a few more with that attitude and they can get this ship going in the right direction.

doublem23
08-11-2004, 05:16 PM
Hey, all right. I was bitching him out yesterday after that god-awful bunt attempt. He even turned my way.

I'll just have to take credit for this one. :tongue:

DrummerGeorgefan
08-11-2004, 05:18 PM
I was a A-Row doubter at the the beginning of the season, but he has made me turn my opinion around 180 degrees. The work ethic has been amazing and he hustles his butt off when a ball is hit to Left center because he knows Carlos wont ever get to the ball.

Last Friday night, he showed me in person what a hustle he is. A ball was hit towards the fence, he hits the fence in an attempt to catch it, rolls off of it, picks up the ball and throws a rope to the cut off man who nails the runner trying to score. He shakes his head, probably thinking he could have caught the ball, then smiles at us in LF bleachers when we start chanting his name.

Keep him around, good things are gonna happen with him.

OEO Magglio
08-11-2004, 05:19 PM
Hey, all right. I was bitching him out yesterday after that god-awful bunt attempt. He even turned my way.

I'll just have to take credit for this one. :tongue:Way to go doublem. So now we know why he wants to become a good bunter, so he doesn't have to get heckled by you.:D: :tongue:

AnkleSox
08-11-2004, 05:21 PM
Looks like we've got ourselves one of them "grinders" everyone's been talkin about. And this one isn't full of beef. :redface:

mcfish
08-11-2004, 05:22 PM
That was a fantastic thing to read. I figured I would add that because it seems only fair to have posts about something positive when it's deserved. Rather than being most everyone else in the league and just not bunting when it's called for, he's going to work on it and get better. Much better philosophy than coming across a must bunt situation in three years and having everyone say, "well, he hasn't done it in the last three seasons - we don't know if he can bunt," which is something I've heard on the radio a few times this year for both Sox and Cubs players.

serena
08-11-2004, 05:23 PM
Whatever works! :D:

Glad to hear that he's working to improve. He's really come a long way this season and transformed a lot of doubters! :bandance:

Blob
08-11-2004, 05:40 PM
Aaron takes baseball all together VERY seriously. I have season tix in the bleachers and see him all the time. He gets mad at himself when he does not perform well. But, he also gets mad when other don't perform well. The other day in the 13-10 loss you could see the look of disbelief on his face when the Sox kept trying to get back in to the game and the bullpen kept blowing it.

This is the exact type of player I want on the Sox. This says it all, he is a go getter and fixes his problems. Like a year ago when he was taking long swings. He went down to the minors shortened his swing and came back last year and this year in full force!!

YOU DA MAN, AARON!!!

Win1ForMe
08-11-2004, 05:41 PM

I will bet that Rowand turns himself into a excellent bunter by next season through hard work and dogged determination to succeed. The guy is a winner.Wow, after only 110 games into his fourth major league season the guy finally wants to become an adequate bunter. What a winner.

WSox8404
08-11-2004, 05:44 PM
Wow, after only 110 games into his fourth major league season the guy finally wants to become an adequate bunter. What a winner.
But everyone lets keep giving Valentin props because he is such a team leader. Too bad he can't lay a damn bunt down either. Give the man credit. He works harder than anyone on the team. Give me a break.

idseer
08-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Whatever works! :D:

Glad to hear that he's working to improve. He's really come a long way this season and transformed a lot of doubters! :bandance:
not all of them tho. :smile:

Win1ForMe
08-11-2004, 05:53 PM
But everyone lets keep giving Valentin props because he is such a team leader. Too bad he can't lay a damn bunt down either. Give the man credit. He works harder than anyone on the team. Give me a break.
The guy's always been a horrible bunter, it's not like he found this out only a couple of days ago. Don't you think a platoon player/4th outfielder should at least have the ability to bunt? :?:

WSox8404
08-11-2004, 06:16 PM
The guy's always been a horrible bunter, it's not like he found this out only a couple of days ago. Don't you think a platoon player/4th outfielder should at least have the ability to bunt? :?:
So why can't an everyday shortstop work on it either?

hose
08-11-2004, 06:18 PM
Wow, after only 110 games into his fourth major league season the guy finally wants to become an adequate bunter. What a winner.Rowand is a winner because of his attitude and work habits.

After 110 games into his fourth major league season Aaron made himself into a more than adequate centerfielder after being a corner outfielder . I wish a few more of the Sox players had his desire and willingness to put in hard work.

doublem23
08-11-2004, 06:29 PM
Wow, after only 110 games into his fourth major league season the guy finally wants to become an adequate bunter. What a winner.
LOL. :)

Gimm
08-11-2004, 06:29 PM
Aaron's problem is and will probably always be pitch recognition. Which is too bad cuz with his short/quick swing and power, he could be an All-Star if only he had a good eye.

Then again, knowing his dogged determination, he might just become one without it.

Go Aaron.

awesomefan
08-11-2004, 06:48 PM
All the fans that go to the Chat Room here know that I have been one of Aaron's biggest fans for a long time now. I've defended him many many times when alot of Sox fans were complaining about him.

Aaron is much improved, but I could see he would someday be as awesome as he is right now. His determination & great battin' stance & hustle told me that. I could just see that he was gonna do everything possible to be the best player he could be.

Aaron gives great interviews. You gotta love the guy.

I LOVE AARON ROWAND.

owensmouth
08-11-2004, 06:58 PM
So why can't an everyday shortstop work on it either?
What the heck, the lead off hitter isn't very good at bunting either.

sendimjoey
08-11-2004, 07:30 PM
I agree that it's a great sign that Rowand is working on his bunting, but I hope this doesn't mean he will be asked to bunt more. He's a good, solid hitter and I don't think he should be giving up outs that easily, especially in the first inning. I prefer to see players who have been making good contact like Rowand try to hit the ball to the right side -- I think they have a good chance of not only moving the runner over but possibly in.

Edit: And that was a heckuva running catch Rowand made to end the second inning.

Gimm
08-11-2004, 08:09 PM
Rowand had 2 runners on today and let that nobody May blow him away on 3 pitches. The game was still tied 0-0.

Unacceptable.

kojak
08-11-2004, 08:59 PM
Rowand is the Graffanino that Jose Uribe Harris could never be!

South Side
08-11-2004, 10:17 PM

:rolleyes: So you would prefer he not take the steps to improve since he had not done so at an earlier time? Yeah, ok...

Win1ForMe
08-11-2004, 11:21 PM
:rolleyes: So you would prefer he not take the steps to improve since he had not done so at an earlier time? Yeah, ok...
Is my point going completely over everyone's head?

I want Rowand to improve but throwing wild praise at the guy for something that he SHOULD have done a long while ago is completely ridiculous.

South Side
08-11-2004, 11:40 PM
Is my point going completely over everyone's head?

I want Rowand to improve but throwing wild praise at the guy for something that he SHOULD have done a long while ago is completely ridiculous.
I don't think anyone was throwing "wild praise" at him. I respect him for trying to improve at his job. You're acting as if he has been struggling lately and bringing the team down. He couldn't lay down a bunt after he had been carrying the team for 2 weeks.

Baby Fisk
08-12-2004, 08:37 AM
Screw Rowand! We need Kenny Lofton to carry this team!

batmanZoSo
08-12-2004, 08:54 AM
The last few months he's been the Rowand of 01 when he looked pretty good overall. He's an excellent base runner, has the highest average on the team. Granted it's in fewer at bats than some but you can't complain about how he's come around. There's really no dogging him anymore and obviously if he keeps hitting at this rate he's a keeper.

gosox41
08-12-2004, 10:56 AM
The last few months he's been the Rowand of 01 when he looked pretty good overall. He's an excellent base runner, has the highest average on the team. Granted it's in fewer at bats than some but you can't complain about how he's come around. There's really no dogging him anymore and obviously if he keeps hitting at this rate he's a keeper.
The minute he slumps, all the Rowand haters will come out and tell you how bad he is defensively and how lousy of a hitter he is.

Well he's not that bad defensively. Notg reat, but I'ver seen a lot worse then him. Offensively he's definitely hitting over his head now but I can live with a .280-.290 CFer if he hits 15-20 HR;s and steals 20 bases a year.

Who else on the team is going to do that? Maybe Lee.

Bob

gosox41
08-12-2004, 11:01 AM
Rowand, Lee and Konerko are about the only people hitting on this team now. Lee and Konerko are expected to perform. Rowand has been a pleasant surprise. Rowand is showing a lot more heart then some most guys on this team. He is making the most of his ability...give him some credit for it. It sure beats watching Gload, Uribe, Harris, Crede, Everett, and S. Alomar.

Those guys are all great players coming through in big games.

Bob

idseer
08-12-2004, 11:06 AM
The minute he slumps, all the Rowand haters will come out and tell you how bad he is defensively and how lousy of a hitter he is.

Well he's not that bad defensively. Notg reat, but I'ver seen a lot worse then him. Offensively he's definitely hitting over his head now but I can live with a .280-.290 CFer if he hits 15-20 HR;s and steals 20 bases a year.

Who else on the team is going to do that? Maybe Lee.

Bob
nail meet head!

there are those keeping very quiet about rowand and i KNOW the minute a slump does come they'll be there with their 'i told you so's'.
ahhhh you can't beat white sox fans. :wink:

kojak
08-12-2004, 01:47 PM
ahhhh you can't beat white sox fans. :wink:
Not true! Moronotti does it all the time! :tongue: