PDA

View Full Version : Glover in 2002 Rotation


Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 07:42 PM
From the SunTimes:
(Remember this could change in spring training)
The Sox' 2002 rotation has yet to take shape beyond left-hander Mark Buehrle and right-hander Gary Glover.

Glover, who was moved out of the bullpen and into the rotation, all but sealed a spot as a starter by holding the Kansas City Royals to two runs and three hits in six innings Sunday, pitching the Sox to a 5-2 victory.

''I think he has shown enough,'' Manuel said of Glover (5-4). ''If we come up with four pitchers better than him, we're doing pretty good.''

Chisox_cali
10-02-2001, 07:56 PM
Good for the GLOVESMACK! I would have preferred to have him in the pen but I'm sure he'll do fine next year. Sooooo. 2 down 3 to go is it?
:burly:glove
"we're in"

KempersRS
10-02-2001, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Good for the GLOVESMACK! I would have preferred to have him in the pen but I'm sure he'll do fine next year. Sooooo. 2 down 3 to go is it?
:burly:glove
"we're in"

:XL
Maybe I will be back.

Chisox_cali
10-02-2001, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS


:XL
Maybe I will be back.

We do need a veteren presence and assuming we give him a incentive laiden deal then....
:burly:glove:XL
"we're all in"

Chisox_cali
10-02-2001, 08:14 PM
So how many many pitchers will be going for these 2 to 3 spots?
10,11? It's gonna be a packed February in Tucson

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
10,11? It's gonna be a packed February in Tucson

Perhaps more then that.


:jerry
If we have a pitcher or two left over they will play 3rd base.

:thegreat
Sounds good to me skip!

Chisox_cali
10-02-2001, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


Perhaps more then that.




Who are the top candidates do you think?

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Who are the top candidates do you think?

For the rotation:
Buehrle is in
Glover is in
Boomer Wells (If brought back)
Garland
Lowe
Wright
Parque
Kip
Biddle
Rauch, would have to have himself a lights out spring but I'll throw him in here.

KempersRS
10-02-2001, 08:33 PM
My 5 would be...
Buehrle
Glover
Boomer
Garland
Up for grabs in the first half/Rauch in the second half.

rmusacch
10-02-2001, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


For the rotation:
Buehrle is in
Glover is in
Boomer Wells (If brought back)
Garland
Lowe
Wright
Parque
Kip
Biddle
Rauch, would have to have himself a lights out spring but I'll throw him in here.

I would say the way Garland has pitched, he should be in the rotation.

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
I would say the way Garland has pitched, he should be in the rotation.

I think he will be. I think he has to much potential to be wasted in the pen. I know potential and $1.50 will get me a ride on the cta but that is how I feel.

delben91
10-02-2001, 08:47 PM
I would tend to agree with the notion that Garland deserves a spot in there. He's done well for the most part and no one on the list is jumping out as definately better.

czalgosz
10-02-2001, 08:48 PM
I really doubt that David Wells will be back, unless he agrees to renegotiate his option year to something much more attractive to the Sox. They will have about 8 guys competing for three rotation spots in next spring. They simply have too many options in the rotation to guarantee a spot to Wells.

Chisox_cali
10-02-2001, 08:52 PM
Well Boomer really loves Chicago If he can comeback from the back injury and apparant ass pain of some sort I say this is the rotation:

Buehrle
Boomer
Glover
Garland
who knows maybe just a four man until someone steps up or hold um till Rauch is 100%

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
I really doubt that David Wells will be back, unless he agrees to renegotiate his option year to something much more attractive to the Sox.


The Sox have already told him they are not going to pick up his option. He had mentioned the Sox would like to bring him back at a much lower base salary with incentives. The Yankees are the other option but they will offer the same type of contract. I would assume with a higher base salary.

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Buehrle
Boomer
Glover
Garland
who knows maybe just a four man until someone steps up or hold um till Rauch is 100%

You could put Parque or Lowe in that last spot.

Chisox_cali
10-02-2001, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


You could put Parque or Lowe in that last spot.

I thought that JM had already said Parque would be pitching outta the pen to start. I would go with Lowe but if we take him out of the rotation I dont want him to start complaining about going back to the pen

czalgosz
10-02-2001, 09:00 PM
Of course, the wild card in this whole thing could be the labor situation. If we end up with a salary cap or some sort of punitive luxury tax, the Yankees won't be the option for high-priced veterans it once was. They won't be able to sign David Wells, in fact, the Yanks will probably have to dump salary (a move that's about 2 years overdue, IMO.) That'll make David Wells much less of an exciting free agent, especially considering his health.

The labor situation could change everything next season, but noone's talking about it.

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
I thought that JM had already said Parque would be pitching outta the pen to start. I would go with Lowe but if we take him out of the rotation I dont want him to start complaining about going back to the pen

I believe he did say that, but Manuel has shown this year all someone has to do is bitch about it and the player wins. Lowe wants to start end of story. I think he is better suited for the pen but he disagrees.

czalgosz
10-02-2001, 09:09 PM
My first official 2002 prediction - Jim Parque, Sean Lowe, and Bill Simas will all be gone by the 2002 trading deadline.

Chisox_cali
10-02-2001, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


I believe he did say that, but Manuel has shown this year all someone has to do is bitch about it and the player wins. Lowe wants to start end of story. I think he is better suited for the pen but he disagrees.

I agree Lowe would be better as a long relief guy. Why not give Fogg a chance that guy is growing on me a lot I cant say enough good things about him.

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
My first official 2002 prediction - Jim Parque, Sean Lowe, and Bill Simas will all be gone by the 2002 trading deadline.

Simas is a free agent after this season. He might not even be on the team in 2002 for KW to trade away.

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Why not give Fogg a chance that guy is growing on me a lot I cant say enough good things about him.

I'm sure he will get a look. Buehrle wasn't expected to make the starting five this year but he did. So who knows what is going to happen.

:jerry
I do, but I'm not telling.

czalgosz
10-02-2001, 09:13 PM
Yeah, the only way the Sox keep Simas is if he turns down a better offer somewhere else, or his surgery scares all the other teams away. A lot of teams are hurting for middle relief... Which is all the Sox seem to have.

dougs78
10-02-2001, 10:05 PM
I see our pitching staff like this....

Buehrle
Garland
Wright
??????
Boomer/Kip

I just have a strong feeling that those ????'s will be someone from outside our organization acquired in a trade or free agency...probably the former. I don't buy the Glover starting deal. I do like his stuff and makeup alot, but I see him in the bullpen still.

That gives us a bullpen of

Long: Glover, Parque
Situational: Osuna, Fogg, Barcelo
Set up: Howry/Fogg
Closer: foulke

Biddle will be on the roster after he comes back from surgery, since inevitably one or more of that staff will be injured by then.

If kip slides to the pen cuz of boomer then probably lowe is traded although i feel he will be anyway. I like that bullpen a lot. I think Howry still has some good years ahead of him. All this means that Embree, Wunsch, Simas, and (thank god) Re-pulsipher are all gone. Ginter is AAA or traded.

Daver
10-02-2001, 10:33 PM
Rocky Biddle will be in the starting rotation next year,after Buerhle he is the best pitcher they have under contract.

But then again what the hell do I know?

Joel Perez
10-03-2001, 01:37 PM
The starting rotation:

:XL , :burly , :glove , :wright and :jon

PaleHoseGeorge
10-03-2001, 02:23 PM
How the rotation stacks up next April ought to be really interesting.

We already have one lefty, Mark Buehrle. If you believe KW will try to get a veteran presence for the staff, David Wells has to be the early favorite to fill the role. (He has, after all, indicated he would be willing to sign an incentive-laden contract--music to the ears of Jerry Reinsdorf).

That's one sure lefty and potentially two. What to do with the rehabbing southpaw Jim Parque? It would be sweet to let him start the season in the bullpen and let his progress dictate when he can re-enter the starting rotation. Lord know we need a decent left-hander in the bullpen (bye-bye Mssrs. Embree and Pulsipher). Wunsch is too much a question mark to rely on right now.

Keep Lowe as the key middle reliever. He's too damned valuable to us in the bullpen.

Who are the other three starters? We won't know till the end of March. Based on performance through today, I would make them Glover, Garland, and Biddle in that order. If anyone slips, Parque, Rauch, Wright, or another minor leaguer ought to be ready to move up.

Just my 2 cents.

Jerry_Manuel
10-03-2001, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Keep Lowe as the key middle reliever. He's too damned valuable to us in the bullpen.


Lowe wants to start, if he says start me or trade me what would you do?

PaleHoseGeorge
10-03-2001, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Lowe wants to start, if he says start me or trade me what would you do?

Stick him in the bullpen and let him pout. He has no real leverage under the terms of his contract. He can't force the Sox to trade him. While I'm sure teams will step forward to take Lowe off our hands, he will have cut his value (and thus his potential future earnings) by revealing himself uncooperative. Money is at least a factor, if not the primary factor, in Lowe's reasons for wanting to start.

Lowe is fine for spot starts. I wouldn't begrudge him that. But the inmates should not be running the asylum.