PDA

View Full Version : Bmac dominates again!

OEO Magglio
08-11-2004, 03:06 PM
Not really a surprise but today Bmac went 8 innings giving up 4 hits, no runs, 8 k's, and of course no walks.:bandance:

The Tom
08-11-2004, 03:15 PM
McCarthy is really dominating in W-S. He's now 6-0 in 8 starts with a 2.08 ERA and an eye-popping 60k:3bb. He has pitched absolutely unconcious the last three starts: 3-0 ,22 ip, 1 ER, O BB, 32k, and 7 hits. He's allowed the same number of BASERUNNERS in his last three STARTS as Diaz allowed run in less then 3 INNINGS. This kid is amazing. What is there left for him at W-S. I know they are in a pennant race, but so is Birmingham and BMac is definitely deserving. Also, Baseball America has him something like 7 on their hot sheet.

OEO Magglio
08-11-2004, 03:17 PM
McCarthy is really dominating in W-S. He's now 6-0 in 8 starts with a 2.08 ERA and an eye-popping 60k:3bb. He has pitched absolutely unconcious the last three starts: 3-0 ,22 ip, 1 ER, O BB, 32k, and 7 hits. He's allowed the same number of BASERUNNERS in his last three STARTS as Diaz allowed run in less then 3 INNINGS. This kid is amazing. What is there left for him at W-S. I know they are in a pennant race, but so is Birmingham and BMac is definitely deserving. Also, Baseball America has him something like 7 on their hot sheet.Yeah, his numbers are just sick and your right he's 7 on the hotsheet. I don't think they'll move him up to Birmingham this year, I think he'll stay in Winston Salem for the rest of the year and then start next year in Birmingham but I could be wrong about that.

MRKARNO
08-11-2004, 03:30 PM
I don't think there's any question that he's ready to move up to the next level. To leave him in High-A for the rest of the year would be a waste of 2 months in my opinion. Let him go up to AA right now.

Any Chance he starts next year at AAA Charlotte?

OEO Magglio
08-11-2004, 03:38 PM
I don't think there's any question that he's ready to move up to the next level. To leave him in High-A for the rest of the year would be a waste of 2 months in my opinion. Let him go up to AA right now.

Any Chance he starts next year at AAA Charlotte?KARNO, I completely agree with you, just imo I think he's left in Winston Salem to finish the year off but once again I definitely could be wrong about that.

Mohoney
08-11-2004, 03:41 PM

Yeah. Send him to Charlotte next year. The guy doesn't need AA ball. 60 K, 3 BB?

This guy can skip AA with those kind of dominant peripheral stats. Actually, screw the peripheral stats, his ERA is good enough on its own merit to warrant a AAA spot.

I see this guy giving Garland a SERIOUS run for the money in Spring Training '06 if he can dominate in Charlotte.

habibharu
08-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Yeah. Send him to Charlotte next year. The guy doesn't need AA ball. 60 K, 3 BB?

This guy can skip AA with those kind of dominant peripheral stats. Actually, screw the peripheral stats, his ERA is good enough on its own merit to warrant a AAA spot.

I see this guy giving Garland a SERIOUS run for the money in Spring Training '06 if he can dominate in Charlotte.hopefully we wont have garland then

Gimm
08-11-2004, 03:56 PM
hopefully we wont have garland then
No, hopefully we will have Garland by then....performing like a young Mussina.

But not before we re-sign him to a long-term deal at a bargain basement price in '05, naturally, :D:

habibharu
08-11-2004, 03:58 PM
No, hopefully we will have Garland by then....performing like a young Mussina.

:D:Mussina? i thought he is supposed to be a kevin brown!

Gimm
08-11-2004, 04:02 PM
Mussina? i thought he is supposed to be a kevin brown!
No, you need both testicles to be Kevin Brown.

Mussina, on the other hand.....

SoxxoS
08-11-2004, 04:09 PM
There are pitchers that are ready earlier than others, BMAC might be the case. I think we could see him Sept. of next year with numbers like those.

CWSGuy406
08-11-2004, 04:09 PM
hopefully we wont have garland then
And - why is that?

MRKARNO
08-11-2004, 04:27 PM
I think we could see him Sept. of next year with numbers like those. That's kind of what I was thinking too.

Rex Hudler
08-11-2004, 04:55 PM

Any Chance he starts next year at AAA Charlotte?Actually there are only 22 days left in the minor league season.... plus playoffs......

At most he will get 6 or 7 more starts regardless of whether he is in W-S or Birmingham.

That said, I DO think you will see him in Birmingham very soon. I originally thought they would leave the rosters they way they were, but I think the Sox keeping Diaz will change that. Call it a hunch, but he could be starting in Montgomery next Monday...... or he could just go up for a spot start and go back down, since the Barons have 5 games in 4 days @ Huntsville next weekend (21st-24th). I'll welcome the opportunity to see him pitch if he comes this way.

Gimm
08-11-2004, 06:57 PM
There are pitchers that are ready earlier than others, BMAC might be the case. I think we could see him Sept. of next year with numbers like those.Yes, but it's not necessarily the numbers themselves (hi, Jeremy!) as much as it is HOW they were attained. A lot of excellent minor leaguers can't begin to translate the success into the bigs and leave the box-score readers scatching their heads.

MaCarthy appears to be one of the few whose (rapidly improving) stuff/command/makeup is highly projectable....if he stays healthy and continues to progress ahead of the curve, knock on wood. :bandance:

jeremyb1
08-11-2004, 10:33 PM
I'm as big a proponent of relevant sample sizes as anyone and I'd ussually be skeptical about a player that dominantes high A ball after being simply solid at low A but the K/BB rates have always been there for McCarthy. I'm probably getting carried away but at the same time his performance has been ridiculous lately. This is pretty exciting.

MRKARNO
08-11-2004, 11:09 PM
I'm as big a proponent of relevant sample sizes as anyone and I'd ussually be skeptical about a player that dominantes high A ball after being simply solid at low A but the K/BB rates have always been there for McCarthy. I'm probably getting carried away but at the same time his performance has been ridiculous lately. This is pretty exciting.
Yup. The thing that has to just out at anyone that looks at his stats is that K/BB ratio, which is absolutely amazing at every level he's pitched at. The only problem is that his HR rate isn't really all that great. It's not bad, but nothing special, but that K/BB rate more than makes up for it. It's also the K/9 rate that could make anyone excited. Control and velocity (sounds like he's already reaching 95 and could top out even higher) equal success in the major leagues.

SpringfldFan
08-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Yup. The thing that has to just out at anyone that looks at his stats is that K/BB ratio, which is absolutely amazing at every level he's pitched at. The only problem is that his HR rate isn't really all that great. It's not bad, but nothing special, but that K/BB rate more than makes up for it. It's also the K/9 rate that could make anyone excited. Control and velocity (sounds like he's already reaching 95 and could top out even higher) equal success in the major leagues.

Psst, you know what? Those figures describe Mark Prior's minor league numbers!

Gimm
08-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Psst, you know what? Those figures describe Mark Prior's minor league numbers!He doesn't have (healthy) Prior's velocity or Prior's curveball.

But he has every bit as good a control as jesus. And before it's all said and done, he might not be far behind in the velocity and breaking ball department, either.

Plus, his change-up is a weapon Calfzilla doesn't have.

maurice
08-12-2004, 12:32 PM
His cumulative stats at W-S are otherworldly:

6 Wins
0 Losses
2.08 ERA
52 Innings
31 Hits
60 K
3 BB

What kind of space alien produces a 20:1 K:BB ratio?!?

Mohoney
08-13-2004, 01:40 AM
His cumulative stats at W-S are otherworldly:

6 Wins
0 Losses
2.08 ERA
52 Innings
31 Hits
60 K
3 BB

What kind of space alien produces a 20:1 K:BB ratio?!?

Even the ERA is great. And look at the WHIP.

I would agree that the peripheral stat K/BB ratio is most important when judging just how dominating a guy is at his current level, but this guy's bread and butter stats (ERA and WHIP) merit serious consideration for a promotion to AAA next year on their own merit. Throw in the fact that he has a K/BB ratio of 60/3, and HE HASN'T LOST A FREAKING GAME, and this kid has '06 starter written all over him if he can come close to this at AAA.

The fact that he's undefeated just makes me extra giddy for some reason.

ND_Sox_Fan
08-13-2004, 09:20 AM
I haven't seen him pitch, but based on what I have read and what his stats reflect, his HR numbers are a result of him going after hitters, being in the strike zone, and allowing the batters to swing. Sure they are going to hit a few HRs, but with those walk numbers, who cares?

jeremyb1
08-13-2004, 02:04 PM
Even the ERA is great. And look at the WHIP.

I would agree that the peripheral stat K/BB ratio is most important when judging just how dominating a guy is at his current level, but this guy's bread and butter stats (ERA and WHIP) merit serious consideration for a promotion to AAA next year on their own merit.

Well I wouldn't promote him based on his ERA for 6 starts in WS because his WHIP and his ERA in particular weren't spectacular. It's how strong his K/BB has been all along that is the most impressive. The only real concern as has been mentioned is his homeruns but he'll still be affective if he can keep dominating hitters and showing such strong control.

Mohoney
08-13-2004, 03:08 PM
Well I wouldn't promote him based on his ERA for 6 starts in WS because his WHIP and his ERA in particular weren't spectacular. It's how strong his K/BB has been all along that is the most impressive. The only real concern as has been mentioned is his homeruns but he'll still be affective if he can keep dominating hitters and showing such strong control.

I think a lot of it depends on who's spot he would be taking, too. We don't seem to have a talent of his caliber at AAA right now, so maybe one of these guys can move over to give BMac a chance to really prove himself at the highest minor league level.

Maybe I'm rushing him by skipping AA, but he certainly seems to be the best farmhand we have. I think the guy can do it.

Randar68
08-14-2004, 10:14 AM

After seeing him in hist start before this one, I said he could pitch in Chicago to start next year. Will it happen, probably not. But after watching Grilli and Kohlmeier in Charlotte, I have no doubts in my mind after a couple starts to adjust, he could be pitching very well in AAA right now.

Randar68
08-14-2004, 10:17 AM
I think a lot of it depends on who's spot he would be taking, too. We don't seem to have a talent of his caliber at AAA right now, so maybe one of these guys can move over to give BMac a chance to really prove himself at the highest minor league level.

Maybe I'm rushing him by skipping AA, but he certainly seems to be the best farmhand we have. I think the guy can do it.

Charlotte has no pitching. They have 4 starters after Diaz left, and many nights they are starting games with only 2 guys available out of the pen. Adam Larson is up there, straight from Kannapolis, and he won't miss many bats. Duncan is on the DL, Wunsch is only available about 1 or 2 times a week and is lucky to hit 85 right now. It isn't pretty. Charlotte has plenty of open roster spaces for anyone who wants to take them, but the Sox don't have anyone they feel is ready to pitch there. Honel and Wing getting hurt at the same time really limited their options for players ready to be promoted.

Jeremy, in response to your post:

Well, he's had 8 starts and f you put him in Birmingham tomorrow, he'd be their best starter by a long shot. He had 3 innings in Kannapolis where he was sick but the bullpen was cached and he took one for the team. If you take those 3 innings out, he'd have an ERA there at ~2.00 as well as those ridiculous peripheral numbers.

Someone else said he was regularly hitting 95, which just isn't true. He works from 91-93 generally with a cutter at about 88/89. I saw hit touch 94 and 95 only a handful of times, but that extra juice seems to be there when he needs it, can reach back and get a little extra. The hitters had no chance when I saw him pitch last.

NC_sox_fan
08-15-2004, 06:26 PM
This is probably old news, but the Winston-Salem Journal reported yesterday that McCarthy has been promoted to Birmingham. The Hogs have been on the road all week so he would have left from either Wilmington, DE or Frederick, MD.

Rex Hudler
08-15-2004, 06:30 PM
This is probably old news, but the Winston-Salem Journal reported yesterday that McCarthy has been promoted to Birmingham. The Hogs have been on the road all week so he would have left from either Wilmington, DE or Frederick, MD.Yup, sure is. He will start in Birmingham Tuesday night. Wes Whisler was promoted to Winston-Salem to take his spot in the rotation.

OEO Magglio
08-15-2004, 07:09 PM
Yup, sure is. He will start in Birmingham Tuesday night. Wes Whisler was promoted to Winston-Salem to take his spot in the rotation.Like I said I highly doubt bmac will get promoted to birmingham this year.:wink: I'm glad to see him get promoted, hopefully he can continue his domination of the minor leagues.

NC_sox_fan
08-15-2004, 07:40 PM
Yup, sure is. He will start in Birmingham Tuesday night. Wes Whisler was promoted to Winston-Salem to take his spot in the rotation.
Yes...that was also in the article. Whisler is also listed as a DH as well as a pitcher.

California Sox
08-16-2004, 12:11 AM
After seeing him in hist start before this one, I said he could pitch in Chicago to start next year. Will it happen, probably not. But after watching Grilli and Kohlmeier in Charlotte, I have no doubts in my mind after a couple starts to adjust, he could be pitching very well in AAA right now.
I thought I was about as excited about Bmac as I could be, but reading this from someone who's seen him and who's opinion I respect, has got me almost giddy. I'm a big believer in the old saw "the good ones come fast." And think about the pitchers who've actually been any good for us, most of them roared through the minors: Fernandez, McDowell, Parque, Buerhle. True, two of those guys were college guys and Alex and Buerhle both had two years of college/Juco before coming into the system, but Bmac will turn 22 in 2005. It's not altogether unreasonable to think he'll be up at some point whether he starts at Birmingham or they push him to Charlotte. And he'll be on the forty man, so, who knows, maybe he'll wow them in the spring.

NC_sox_fan
08-16-2004, 07:37 AM
Let's hope that Kenny doesn't trade him for Carl Everett next year :o:

Randar68
08-16-2004, 10:03 AM
I thought I was about as excited about Bmac as I could be, but reading this from someone who's seen him and who's opinion I respect, has got me almost giddy. I'm a big believer in the old saw "the good ones come fast." And think about the pitchers who've actually been any good for us, most of them roared through the minors: Fernandez, McDowell, Parque, Buerhle. True, two of those guys were college guys and Alex and Buerhle both had two years of college/Juco before coming into the system, but Bmac will turn 22 in 2005. It's not altogether unreasonable to think he'll be up at some point whether he starts at Birmingham or they push him to Charlotte. And he'll be on the forty man, so, who knows, maybe he'll wow them in the spring.
If he can continue to improve the change-up especially, he's going to be hard to send back to the minors in Spring Training, IMO.

SpringfldFan
08-16-2004, 11:38 AM
He doesn't have (healthy) Prior's velocity or Prior's curveball.

But he has every bit as good a control as jesus. And before it's all said and done, he might not be far behind in the velocity and breaking ball department, either.

Plus, his change-up is a weapon Calfzilla doesn't have.Lol I don't mean to suggest he is the next Prior, but his gaudy stats just reminded me of my impressions of Prior when he first started in 2002. I didn't have specific numbers when I commented, but I looked some of them up:

In 2002, Prior had a 2.30 ERA and gave up about a hit every 2 innings, comparable to B-Mac, at least in W-S. Prior averaged 14 K/9 IP (!) while B-Mac is around 11+ if I recall. And for all the emphasis on Prior's control, In the minors he averaged 4.4 K's/BB compared to Mac's 20 Ks/BB (!!). Of course you have to grant that Prior only pitched 51 innings in the minors, so you can't read a whole lot into the comparisons.

Randar68
08-16-2004, 11:45 AM
Lol I don't mean to suggest he is the next Prior, but his gaudy stats just reminded me of my impressions of Prior when he first started in 2002. I didn't have specific numbers when I commented, but I looked some of them up:

In 2002, Prior had a 2.30 ERA and gave up about a hit every 2 innings, comparable to B-Mac, at least in W-S. Prior averaged 14 K/9 IP (!) while B-Mac is around 11+ if I recall. And for all the emphasis on Prior's control, In the minors he averaged 4.4 K's/BB compared to Mac's 20 Ks/BB (!!). Of course you have to grant that Prior only pitched 51 innings in the minors, so you can't read a whole lot into them.When you're a tall RHP who has pinpoint control of 2 plus-pitches, a good pitching mentality and approach, and have 2 other secondary pitches that you're still developing that most pitchers would call out-pitches, you're going to be compared to a lot of players.

PS. Gimm, have you witnessed McCarthy's curve? Very sharp bite and he has identical arm-angle as his fastball. If you haven't, I wouldn't make many comments on it unless you've seen it first-hand.