PDA

View Full Version : Paul Abbott designated for assignment

Mohoney
08-11-2004, 01:21 PM
If he refuses the assignment, he can sign with anybody, correct?

The guy wouldn't cost us any prospects, and he's had some good starts this year. Sounds like a good #5 to me.

Baby Fisk
08-11-2004, 01:31 PM
Too bad he's had a lot more bad starts this year. Paul Abbott couldn't hack it with Tampa, nor could he hack it with Philly. Stick a fork in him. He done.

kittle42
08-11-2004, 02:37 PM
The minute I saw this thread title I said "I really hope this is just a blurb and NOT a suggestion that we sign Paul Abbott."

Ugh.

Mohoney
08-11-2004, 03:02 PM
The minute I saw this thread title I said "I really hope this is just a blurb and NOT a suggestion that we sign Paul Abbott."

Ugh.

Well, who is getting the start Saturday in Fenway? Felix "Longball" Diaz?

Even bigger Ugh.

JDP
08-11-2004, 03:04 PM
"This guy here is dead!"

"Cross him off then."

Baby Fisk
08-11-2004, 03:05 PM

Even bigger Ugh.Ugh! You don't solve one Ugh with another Ugh!

Mohoney: how many pitches are in your repertoire? Feel like putting in some innings?

Mohoney
08-11-2004, 04:00 PM
Ugh! You don't solve one Ugh with another Ugh!

Mohoney: how many pitches are in your repertoire? Feel like putting in some innings?

Why attack me? I never said that I should start or anything. I just think that replacing an Ugh with a lesser Ugh can mean a 1 or even 2 game improvement when prorated over the rest of the schedule.

I admit that getting Abbott is grasping at straws. When you're only 5 games out, you NEED to grasp at straws.

The guy I want is Paul Wilson, but I doubt that he's coming. In fact, I doubt that we make ANY trades for the rest of the season. So getting a guy that costs NO prospects and giving him a few starts doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.

Baby Fisk
08-11-2004, 04:03 PM
Why attack me? I never said that I should start or anything. I just think that replacing an Ugh with a lesser Ugh can mean a 1 or even 2 game improvement when prorated over the rest of the schedule.

I admit that getting Abbott is grasping at straws. When you're only 5 games out, you NEED to grasp at straws.

The guy I want is Paul Wilson, but I doubt that he's coming. In fact, I doubt that we make ANY trades for the rest of the season. So getting a guy that costs NO prospects and giving him a few starts doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.
It was a joke. Never mind.

SoxxoS
08-11-2004, 04:09 PM
He shut our ass down. :redface:

Mohoney
08-11-2004, 04:11 PM
It was a joke. Never mind.

Sorry. I thought you meant it sarcastically or something.

All I'm saying is that throwing Diaz to the wolves Saturday doesn't make sense. If this kid gives up any more longballs, we just might ruin him permanently.

If somebody's going to get rocked, it might as well be a stopgap like Abbott, a guy we have no future plans for. Plus, he might actually pitch well the rest of the way. By "well", I mean "better than the 2-10 record our 5th starter spot has provided so far this year".

I would be willing to bet that Abbott can post higher than a .200 winning percentage, and he won't cost us anything more than the prorated minimum.

Even a .300 winning percentage out of him could mean an awful lot in the standings.

Baby Fisk
08-11-2004, 04:17 PM
Sorry. I thought you meant it sarcastically or something.

All I'm saying is that throwing Diaz to the wolves Saturday doesn't make sense. If this kid gives up any more longballs, we just might ruin him permanently.

If somebody's going to get rocked, it might as well be a stopgap like Abbott, a guy we have no future plans for. Plus, he might actually pitch well the rest of the way. By "well", I mean "better than the 2-10 record our 5th starter spot has provided so far this year".

I would be willing to bet that Abbott can post higher than a .200 winning percentage, and he won't cost us anything more than the prorated minimum.

Even a .300 winning percentage out of him could mean an awful lot in the standings.S'ok. I thought the brilliance of my wit would be self evident! :cool:

I just think Abbott is so rotten and done that someone from WSI could suit up and get about the same results.

Mickster
08-11-2004, 04:19 PM

Even bigger Ugh.
Actually, Buerhle and Garland will be going on 3 days rest.

Mohoney
08-11-2004, 04:33 PM
S'ok. I thought the brilliance of my wit would be self evident! :cool:

I just think Abbott is so rotten and done that someone from WSI could suit up and get about the same results.

Maybe this will sell you on him.

The guy has 8 starts this year where he has given up 3 earned runs or less in more than 5 innings. 6 of these outings were over 6 innings. 8 out of 19 starts have been what I would consider solid starts. Yes, he only got 3 wins, and yes, his longest outing of the year was 6.2 innings, but those 8 starts look like the difference between us and Cleveland right now, assuming that we could win at least one more of those 5 no-decisions than Tampa Bay and Philadelphia did.

Assume the guy makes another 9 starts. That equates to almost 4 outings in which he gives up 3 runs or less while pitching at least into the 6th inning. That's leaps and bounds better than what Diaz, Cotts, Wright, etc. did this year.

If this guy creates a 2 game swing by himself by winning 2 more games than Terry Mulholland down the stretch, the rest of the rotation only has to come up with 3 more games to level off with the Twins. I would be more than willing to take my chances that Buehrle, Garcia, and Contreras can win 3 more games than Santana, Radke, and Silva. Garland and Lohse is basically a wash.

Mohoney
08-11-2004, 04:34 PM
Actually, Buerhle and Garland will be going on 3 days rest.

See, I didn't believe this at first. Has this been set in stone? If so, then we have a real good shot to win Sunday.

Aidan
08-11-2004, 07:15 PM
Paul Abbott has been brutal. I've seen a few of his starts and he throws worse bullpen sauce than Feliz Diaz. This is enough to make anyone puke...

Paul Abbott (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=110015)
19 Starts
3 Wins
11 Losses
6.47 ERA
47 SO
58 BB