PDA

View Full Version : Another butchering of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"

Viva Magglio
08-11-2004, 09:12 AM
Last night, as part of the Cubs' "'70s Night," Erik Estrada was on hand to be the "guest conductor" for "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." I heard the rendition on the Murph & Brian Hanley show this morning, and it was God-awful!!! In fact, after the rendition was played, a cut of Ed O'Bradovich saying "OH MY GOD!!!" followed Estrada's butchering.

This is obviously the seventh season since Harry Caray left this world, and the Cubs continue to desecrate this great tradition that Harry and Bill Veeck started, of course, on our side of town. John McDonough, the Cubs' promotions guy, has to stop this mockery once and for all. All this promotion is nowadays is a bunch of showbiz phonies looking for PR, Da Egotistical Ditka, WGN-TV and WGN Radio personalities being used to promote WGN-TV and WGN Radio, and bottom-of-the-barrel ex-Cubs terrorizing dogs everywhere with their horrible singing.

Of all the ones I've heard, I would say the best one ever came from the late Jack Buck in 2001 who sang "...root, root, root...for the CARDINALS!!!!":bandance:

Erik The Red
08-11-2004, 09:59 AM
:) that one was special. RIP Jack.

Baby Fisk
08-11-2004, 10:01 AM
70's Night? Erik Estrada?

Seriously, Wrigley Field is like a really lame campus bar.

LongLiveFisk
08-11-2004, 10:03 AM
Of all the ones I've heard, I would say the best one ever came from the late Jack Buck in 2001 who sang "...root, root, root...for the CARDINALS!!!!":bandance:
I did not hear that one, which I'm sure was great, but I did enjoy hearing Tommy Lasorda sing, "root, root, root for the DODGERS!"

That was classic! :bandance:

bennyw41
08-11-2004, 10:15 AM
70's Night? Erik Estrada?

Seriously, Wrigley Field is like a really lame campus bar.
I hate the cubs as much as the next guy, but have you looked at some of the Sox promotions? Elvis night? Rat Pack night? Jimmy Buffett night?

I don't have a problem with themes, I have a problem with Wrigley.

SoxxoS
08-11-2004, 10:39 AM
When Erik Estrada is the "celebrity" conductor of the 7th inning stretch, it's time to hang it up.

Just have a fan each game go up and do it?

Who's the next celebrity, the voice of "Buck" the dog on Married with Children?

Cerberus-WG
08-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Oh man, Journey and now CHiPs?

AWESOME!

Baby Fisk
08-11-2004, 11:30 AM
I hate the cubs as much as the next guy, but have you looked at some of the Sox promotions? Elvis night? Rat Pack night? Jimmy Buffett night?

Yikes! Those are equally lame.

zach23
08-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Who's the next celebrity, the voice of "Buck" the dog on Married with Children?

Maybe Charro or Andy Williams for the next 70's night?

SOXSINCE'70
08-11-2004, 12:14 PM
When Erik Estrada is the "celebrity" conductor of the 7th inning stretch, it's time to hang it up.

Just have a fan each game go up and do it?

Who's the next celebrity, the voice of "Buck" the dog on Married with Children?SHHHHHHHHHHHHH.John Macdonough may hear you.:D: :D: :D: :D:

(He's the sCrUBS PR wiz,BTW).

TornLabrum
08-11-2004, 12:21 PM
Maybe Charro or Andy Williams for the next 70's night?
Is Charo still alive?

wolcott10
08-11-2004, 01:04 PM
I'm surprised that the Cubs didn't pick William Hung from "American Idol" to do the 7th inning stretch yet.

jackbrohamer
08-11-2004, 01:19 PM
Is Charo still alive?
And what, exactly, was she?

SoxxoS
08-11-2004, 01:33 PM
SHHHHHHHHHHHHH.John Macdonough may hear you.:D: :D: :D: :D:

(He's the sCrUBS PR wiz,BTW).
Isn't that freakin ironic.

Rocky Soprano
08-11-2004, 01:39 PM
I'm surprised that the Cubs didn't pick William Hung from "American Idol" to do the 7th inning stretch yet.
I heard from somewhere that William Hung tried to get on and the Cubs said no.

TornLabrum
08-11-2004, 01:54 PM
And what, exactly, was she?There was a rhumba band leader going back to the '40s who was active into the '70s named Xavier Cugat. Charo was his female vocalist. I don't know if they had a personal relationship, but they'd make appearances together on talk shows like Merv Griffin's. She was actually pretty funny. She also holds the record for most guest appearances on The Love Boat.

Older folks may remember another Cugat singer, Abby Lane.

mantis1212
08-11-2004, 01:59 PM

I don't have a problem with themes, I have a problem with Wrigley.
I don't care what anybody says, Elvis Night rules!!!

Baby Fisk
08-11-2004, 02:01 PM
I heard from somewhere that William Hung tried to get on and the Cubs said no.Sadly, the Toronto Blue Jays said yes... :rolleyes:

May 30, 2004: check out the disturbing video if you dare.

http://www.pulse24.com/Showbiz/Top_Story/20040530-003/page.asp

RKMeibalane
08-11-2004, 02:37 PM
That was a great baseball moment. I'm still waiting for someone to to sing, "Root, root, root... for the WHITE SOX!" How funny would that be?

idseer
08-11-2004, 02:39 PM
There was a rhumba band leader going back to the '40s who was active into the '70s named Xavier Cugat. Charo was his female vocalist. I don't know if they had a personal relationship, but they'd make appearances together on talk shows like Merv Griffin's. She was actually pretty funny. She also holds the record for most guest appearances on The Love Boat.

Older folks may remember another Cugat singer, Abby Lane.it's my understanding that they were married.

maybe some will recognize her most common label .... she was the "koochie koochie" girl. and i'm sure she's still alive and shaking it.

idseer
08-11-2004, 02:42 PM
Sadly, the Toronto Blue Jays said yes... :rolleyes:

May 30, 2004: check out the disturbing video if you dare.

http://www.pulse24.com/Showbiz/Top_Story/20040530-003/page.asp
i'd swear he's singing ... 'buy me some penis and crackerjacks".

MarkM2112
08-11-2004, 03:33 PM
it's my understanding that they were married.

maybe some will recognize her most common label .... she was the "koochie koochie" girl. and i'm sure she's still alive and shaking it.
Not many people know this, but besides being funny and attractive, she was an EXCELLENT Flamenco Guitar player... Check out this link to hear samples! http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000036E0/qid=1092256179/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/104-7578650-7554353

whitesoxwilkes
08-11-2004, 05:51 PM
In addition to the Blue Jays, the Brewers had him sing it on opening day this past April.

Viva Magglio
08-11-2004, 06:50 PM
i'd swear he's singing ... 'buy me some penis and crackerjacks".
:rolling:

SOXPHILE
08-11-2004, 09:30 PM
Last night, as part of the Cubs' "'70s Night," Erik Estrada was on hand to be the "guest conductor" for "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." I heard the rendition on the Murph & Brian Hanley show this morning, and it was God-awful!!! In fact, after the rendition was played, a cut of Ed O'Bradovich saying "OH MY GOD!!!" followed Estrada's butchering.

This is obviously the seventh season since Harry Caray left this world, and the Cubs continue to desecrate this great tradition that Harry and Bill Veeck started, of course, on our side of town. John McDonough, the Cubs' promotions guy, has to stop this mockery once and for all. All this promotion is nowadays is a bunch of showbiz phonies looking for PR, Da Egotistical Ditka, WGN-TV and WGN Radio personalities being used to promote WGN-TV and WGN Radio, and bottom-of-the-barrel ex-Cubs terrorizing dogs everywhere with their horrible singing.

No way ! Having "C" list celebrities, like Jackie Mason, Eric Estrada, Some Idiots From The Latest "Reality" T.V. show, or washed up ex-Cubs like Paul Assenmacher or Steve Trout sing the 7th inning stretch are just as much a part of baseball as talking on the cell phone, making sure I get a good tan, and that I look good in my J.D. Crew/Wrigley Field Bleachers/Gap sweatshirt, and having absolutely NO idea what's going on in the game. (Hey, who's up ? Is Sammy up ? Who's winning ? )

NUCatsFan
08-11-2004, 10:51 PM

Erik Estrada? Marco!!

:bandance:

TornLabrum
08-11-2004, 11:07 PM
it's my understanding that they were married.

I had that impression, but I don't remember for sure. I am pretty certain that Cugat was married to Abby Lane, though.

Nellie_Fox
08-12-2004, 01:03 AM
Yes, Cougat was married to both Abbe Laine and Charo, that old horndog. They were both hot, although Abbe was much more to my taste. Abbe was smoldering, make your knees weak, hot. Charo was kind of goofy.

Charo's "koochie-koochie" thing was annoying, although you are correct, she was a hell of a guitarist.

Aidan
08-12-2004, 04:17 AM
i'd swear he's singing ... 'buy me some penis and crackerjacks".He did say "penis". AHAHAHAHA!!!

He also said, "I don't care if I never get back" and "it's time to ROOT, ROOT, ROOT for the home team."

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

TornLabrum
08-12-2004, 09:04 AM
Yes, Cougat was married to both Abbe Laine and Charo, that old horndog. They were both hot, although Abbe was much more to my taste. Abbe was smoldering, make your knees weak, hot. Charo was kind of goofy.

Charo's "koochie-koochie" thing was annoying, although you are correct, she was a hell of a guitarist.
I think Ms. Lane was one of the first (if not the first) woman to arouse any kind of feelings of sexual desire in my pre-pubescent years. The actual first was during my pre-school years, a local TV personality (Channel 7 I believe) named Angel Casey who had a kids show back then. I didn't know what it was, but I remember feeling guilty watching her.

But for out and out baton twirling, no one was better than Mary Hartline on Super Circus!

TornLabrum
08-12-2004, 09:14 AM
He did say "penis". AHAHAHAHA!!!

He also said, "I don't care if I never get back" and "it's time to ROOT, ROOT, ROOT for the home team."

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
"Never" is correct. Haray got it wrong, the old lush.

Here are the correct lyrics to the chorus of TMOTTBG (including two versions of the verse, the first from 1908 when the song was written by Jack Norworth (lyrics) and Albert von Tilzer (music):

Katie Casey was base ball mad.
Had the fever and had it bad;
Just to root for the home town crew,
Ev'ry sou Katie blew.
On a Saturday, he young beau
Called to see if she'd like to go,
To see a show but Miss Kate said,
"No, I'll tell you what you can do."

"Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and cracker jack,
I don't care if I never get back,