PDA

View Full Version : Ten Years Ago Tomorrow...

fledgedrallycap
08-11-2004, 08:24 AM
The 1994 MLB Strike officially began, and marked the end of an era. Remains the only U.S. athletic work stoppage that cancelled post-season play. Ramifications of that event are still noticeable today, and nobody felt the sting worse than our own Chicago White Sox.

Thoughts and reflections?

thepaulbowski
08-11-2004, 08:30 AM
The 1994 MLB Strike officially began, and marked the end of an era. Remains the only U.S. athletic work stoppage that cancelled post-season play. Ramifications of that event are still noticeable today, and nobody felt the sting worse than our own Chicago White Sox.

Except maybe the Montreal Expos. The strike ruined baseball in Montreal.

SaltyPretzel
08-11-2004, 08:46 AM
:chunks :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Dan H
08-11-2004, 09:26 AM

The strike hit the Sox and the Expos the worst. We have been constantly told to get over it, and here it is 10 years later, and the Sox still haven't been to a World Series. I don't think the players or the owners had any idea how angry fans were going to be in reaction the strike. It was the worst way to be denies a World Series.

fledgedrallycap
08-11-2004, 09:28 AM
The strike hit the Sox and the Expos the worst. We have been constantly told to get over it, and here it is 10 years later, and the Sox still haven't been to a World Series. I don't think the players or the owners had any idea how angry fans were going to be in reaction the strike. It was the worst way to be denies a World Series.
They realize it now, and there wasn't been a work stoppage since because of it. The only good thing to come from this is it can serve as a case-study for all other sports to show how much damage can and will be done. NHL, are you listening?????

SaltyPretzel
08-11-2004, 09:30 AM
NHL, are you listening?????
I'd welcome a long NHL strike if it meant folding teams. It's too diluted.

Dick Allen
08-11-2004, 10:43 AM
I'd welcome a long NHL strike if it meant folding teams. It's too diluted. I'm all for going back to the six-team league.

Lip Man 1
08-11-2004, 10:59 AM
Please read 'this day in Sox history' thread.

Lip

jabrch
08-11-2004, 11:02 AM
I'm all for going back to the six-team league.

If the NHL went to a 6 team league, it is possible that a total of 0 players on the current Hawks roster would be selected for any of the 6 teams, much less to be starters.

kittle42
08-11-2004, 11:32 AM
Here's my thought....screw everyone who still won't go to the park because of the strike. Get over it.

SSN721
08-11-2004, 12:10 PM
Here's my thought....screw everyone who still won't go to the park because of the strike. Get over it.

I agree.

Dan H
08-11-2004, 02:18 PM
The strike I can get over as long as it doesn't happen again. If major league baseball takes its fans for granted again, it will deserve the half-empty stadiums it will get. As far as the White Sox are concerned, the strike would become a far more distant memory if they went to a World Series. Strike or no strike, it's time to do it already. 45 years is a tad overdue.

OzzieBall2004
08-11-2004, 04:15 PM
Not to sound like a jerk, and I realize we had a stacked squad and all that year, but we were only a game up on a good Cleveland ballclub that year. I went to school at Marquette and had a few friends from Cleveland, and they just like many of us, continue to think about the "what ifs". Frankly, we should leave the what ifs and the BS whining to the north side team. Their fans are far more suited for whining and complaining.

EDIT: I forgot that most Cubs fans (lets estimate 70%) werent Cubs fans in '94 because they didnt find beer and baseball till they turned 21, or just thought the season ended with quite a long road trip in '94. I gave them way too much credit for being able to remember and contemplate something that occured 10 years ago. They only focus on next year .

OurBitchinMinny
08-11-2004, 04:31 PM
It still hurts when I think back on it, but Ive gotten over it. Who knows if we would have held off cleveland that year. We might have lost to the yanks in the ALCS or the expos or bravos in the WS. However I think that team was ready to do something special. They came fairly close in 1993 and were postseason tested. We will never know what might have been. That strike couldnt have come at a worse time. Hopefully baseball never loses another WS to a strike. Ihope the NHL keeps that in mind next month when they need to start a season. And they dont have the fan base that baseball did prestrike. Well except for detroit, minny, and canada

Hangar18
08-11-2004, 05:00 PM
It still hurts when I think back on it, but Ive gotten over it. Who knows if we would have held off cleveland that year. We might have lost to the yanks in the ALCS or the expos or bravos in the WS. However I think that team was ready to do something special. They came fairly close in 1993 and were postseason tested. We will never know what might have been. That strike couldnt have come at a worse time. Hopefully baseball never loses another WS to a strike. Ihope the NHL keeps that in mind next month when they need to start a season. And they dont have the fan base that baseball did prestrike. Well except for detroit, minny, and canada
The Indians were coming on ..... but the SOX did something they RARELY have done, not til then and not since. THEY FILLED THEIR HOLES IN THE OFFSEASON. ANyone remember how the Bullpen was shored up, they got the Extra Hitter they needed and were well on their way to the WS. We had the Yankees number that year also ........ It was supposed to be our year.

The Expos were getting 40K a game, many of the "stars" you see on the Cubs and other teams would still be there. They wouldve gone to the World Series and who knows what wouldve happened. Baseball wouldve been ReBorn in Montreal, much like it was "reborn" in 1995, when Griffey led the Mariners to tie and win the division over the Angels. The fans so riled up by that, voted immediately and gave them the stadium they wanted.
Seattle has had many successful seasons since then. The Expos have
been in a death spiral ever since, serving as a launching pad for their best players to the Yankees, cubs and even the sox.

Yeah, The Cubune (because of their whining about moving to the Western DIvision subsequently chasing Fay Vincent from office) Bud Selig, George Steinbrenner, and of course, our very own lovable louse himself, Jerry Reinsdorf all have blood on their hands. To me, the game hasnt been the same. The "commissioner" expanded when they shouldnt have, Hes been involved in con-games involving the sale of a number of teams, including the Expos, Marlins and RedSox. He let the DBacks force MLB to place them in the NL instead of the AL, where they were supposed to be placed, moved his own franchise to the NL displacing much of Milwaukees Brewer history.
He was involved in a scheme involving his good friend, who also happened to own the Minnesota Twins and they DIDNT draft a certain Messiah-like player
(causing the twinks to pray daily that mauer turns into something, as they realize the gaffe it may/may not have caused)

He nearly caused a fan riot after an allstar game. Baseball has committed one gaffe after another. And now, baseball is privately HOPING that a certain team 8 miles north goes all the way, in a perverted and foolish hope that it will get "interest" in baseball at an all time high. Anyone notice how FOX/MLB kept airing/ saying how great it would be "for baseball" if 2 cursed franchises went to the WS?

The strike of 94
has hurt baseball more than any of us will know, as its full effect wont be known for generations. somehow, I still love my sox .......................

Blob
08-11-2004, 05:41 PM
:chunks :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
That about sums it up for me!