PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie The Recruiter!

Evman5
08-11-2004, 12:55 AM
I feel that another big positive to having Ozzie as our manager will be his ability to recruit players to come and play for the White Sox. We have already seen a preview with the Freddy Garcia extension. It seems like everybody loves Ozzie and everybosy is his best buddy. Ozzie can be the determining factor whether or not some comes to play for us. I know money is the biggest factor, but it isn't the only one.

This is a clip-and-save post for the future when free agents cite Ozzie as a reason for signing with the Sox.

gobears1987
08-11-2004, 01:18 AM
did you read the ESPN Magazine article on Ozzie? They said everyone is his best buddy. I agree, Freddy would walk for the Yankees and more money if it wasn't for Ozzie.

Evman5
08-11-2004, 01:53 AM
yah I thought that was a great article.

AddisonStSox
08-11-2004, 01:55 AM
Look no further than Contreras waving his no-trade clause to come and play for Ozzie. He must be doing something right, hopefully this trend will continue during the off-season.

JDP
08-11-2004, 09:09 AM
Does Ozzie's influence extend beyond Venezuelan players (besides Contreras the Cuban, who may or may not have waived his no-trade because of Ozzie) ?

If so, Ozzie could start a Latin wave on the south side. Imagine filling the roster holes with the likes of:

SS Edgar Renteria (Columbian)
3B Adrian Beltre (Dominican)
1B Albert Pujols (Dominican)
SP Pedro Martinez (Dominican)
RP Ugueth Urbina (Venezuelan)
RF Miguel Cabrera (Venezuelan)

eriqjaffe
08-11-2004, 09:44 AM
I can think of a Venezuelan player who probably won't sign with the Sox.

Viva Magglio
08-11-2004, 09:55 AM
I can think of a Venezuelan player who probably won't sign with the Sox.:maggs
¿Quién es Ozzie? (Who's Ozzie?)

mdep524
08-11-2004, 10:30 AM
Do you think Ozzie could have any pull in getting Carl Pavano, whom he coached last year in Florida, on the South Side?

JDP
08-11-2004, 12:09 PM
Do you think Ozzie could have any pull in getting Carl Pavano, whom he coached last year in Florida, on the South Side?
If he does, then red rover, red rover, send Castillo and Cabrera (when their contracts are up) on ova.

balke
08-11-2004, 12:26 PM
I said in some off topic stuff that I don't think Ozzie will get players by reputation like some managers do (I won't name managers names who do that, because they may upset some people). Players Ozzie doesn't know personally might not find Chicago very appealing. But, you make a good point, you might have swayed me. If I were a latin player of any kind, I would always think of Chicago, and supposedly Ozzie is a really funny guy. He has already gotten two big latino names to the sox. I could live with this guy as manager for a while longer if he keeps bringin in the stars, especially if sox can get some younger players like from the draft to want to play for Ozzie.

I just hope Ozzie puts them in a more solid line-up than his gut feeling everyday, in the years to come.

Magglios_Girl
08-11-2004, 02:41 PM
:maggs
¿Quién es Ozzie? (Who's Ozzie?):roflmao::D:
You know, I've never seen Ozzie and Magglio talk or joke around in the dugout like he does with the other players (like Buehrle, Cotts, Garcia, etc.) The only time I ever saw them together was in a picture of them in Venezuela (I think they received awards that day).

Magglios_Girl
08-11-2004, 02:53 PM
If I were a latin player of any kind, I would always think of Chicago, and supposedly Ozzie is a really funny guy. He has already gotten two big latino names to the sox.At the beginning of the season, I read an article about Uribe at whitesox.com and it said something about him feeling more comfortable here with Latinos (he doesn't speak that much English) and also with players like Perez--who is from Bani, Dominican Republic (thats where Uribe is from too). I think it's good that we have players from all different places because 1.) the fans can have someone they can somewhat relate too and 2.) If the players are comfortable being here they tend to play better than somewhere where they feel uncomfortable.

JDP
08-11-2004, 03:08 PM
:roflmao::D:
You know, I've never seen Ozzie and Magglio talk or joke around in the dugout like he does with the other players (like Buehrle, Cotts, Garcia, etc.) The only time I ever saw them together was in a picture of them in Venezuela (I think they received awards that day).
In retrospect and tying in Magglio's existence any more with the Sox organziation (and your sig), it'll probably be more:

OOH-EEE-OOH, SHOW 'EM THE DOOR

jabrch
08-11-2004, 03:13 PM
In retrospect and tying in Magglio's existence any more with the Sox organziation (and your sig), it'll probably be more:

OOH-EEE-OOH, SHOW 'EM THE DOOR

It was his choice gang. It was his choice. Whatever it was that was on the table was not enough for him - so he is going to have to opt for FA and see what the market will pay a guy with an injury like his.

JDP
08-11-2004, 03:17 PM
It was his choice gang. It was his choice. Whatever it was that was on the table was not enough for him - so he is going to have to opt for FA and see what the market will pay a guy with an injury like his.
Hence ... showing him the door. :rolleyes:

Magglios_Girl
08-11-2004, 03:21 PM
OOH-EEE-OOH, SHOW 'EM THE DOORLol. I don't care what anyone says because I know that a lot of people don't want him back. It does disappoint me to know he will most likely be a FA at the end of this season. He has been my favorite for a while and I'm STILL hoping he changes his crazy mind (:(: ) and stays with us.

JDP
08-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Lol. I don't care what anyone says because I know that a lot of people don't want him back. It does disappoint me to know he will most likely be a FA at the end of this season. He has been my favorite for a while and I'm STILL hoping he changes his crazy mind (:(: ) and stays with us.
He needs to re-evaluate his worth with his injury now too..