PDA

View Full Version : Mike Brown: White Sox Fan?

Viva Magglio
08-10-2004, 10:31 PM
NBC 5 just had its Bears training camp report, and it showed safety Mike Brown wearing a black White Sox cap with the old Sox batter logo in black.

:overtime

DoggPhood
08-10-2004, 10:39 PM
It's good to see one team supporting another. I always feel like the Cubs/Bears are a tandem for some reason. We all know it's cooler to like the Sox.

Realist
08-10-2004, 10:45 PM
Half a million years ago The Arizona Cardinals used to play football on the southside of Chicago and Sox fans were often Cardinal fans and Cubs fans would be Bears fans.

I have a couple of friends that are still die hard Sox/Cardinal fans and hate the Bears as much as they hate the Cubs.

Aidan
08-10-2004, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I've seen him wearing Sox gear before. He is definately a Sox fan. Besides, who wants to wear goofy red and blue Cubs gear. Silver and black is where it's at.

Johnny Mostil
08-10-2004, 10:47 PM
I always feel like the Cubs/Bears are a tandem for some reason.
With good reason--I'm pretty sure Halas named the Bears after the Cubs and the NFL after the National (Baseball) League.

Johnny Mostil
08-10-2004, 10:49 PM
Half a million years ago The Arizona Cardinals used to play football on the southside of Chicago and Sox fans were often Cardinal fans and Cubs fans would be Bears fans.

I have a couple of friends that are still die hard Sox/Cardinal fans and hate the Bears as much as they hate the Cubs.
Nah, only 44 years ago--IIRC, the Cards left the South Side in 1960. I've heard several (usually old-time) Sox fans complain a Bear ain't nothin' but a grown-up Cub . . .

jabrch
08-10-2004, 11:04 PM
I saw that hat Brown was wearing a few days ago too. Black logo on a black hat - kinda cool.

Nellie_Fox
08-10-2004, 11:23 PM

I have a couple of friends that are still die hard Sox/Cardinal fans and hate the Bears as much as they hate the Cubs.Probably why I'm still pretty lukewarm on NFL football. I became a Sox fan at 5 years old. I didn't start getting at all interested in football until much later, and just as I started with the logical Sox/Cardinals connection, the Cards moved away.

After that I didn't pay any attention to football until I was in high school, and then only because of Butkus and Sayers.

Thunderstruck30
08-10-2004, 11:58 PM
Rex Grossman was on the news last week and he too was wearing a Sox hat.

ChiWhiteSox1337
08-11-2004, 12:05 AM
It's nice to know we have famous fans that are actually good. Grossman, Brown, and Tillman. The cubs have fans like Jim Belushi and uh....billy corgan??? That guy from the smashing pumpkins or whatever. Oh, I almost forgot about that other crappy actor, John Cusack or whoever Chip caray always has an orgasm about.:rolleyes:

ewokpelts
08-11-2004, 12:10 AM
With good reason--I'm pretty sure Halas named the Bears after the Cubs and the NFL after the National (Baseball) League.There's a qoute out there from Hlas himself that pretty much says since they are playing at the cubs' park, and that football is a more manly sport than baseball, they'll be bears.
Gene

juggalomike
08-11-2004, 12:31 AM
Rex Grossman was on the news last week and he too was wearing a Sox hat.
He also sang take me out to the ballgame at wrigley decked out in full cubs gear.

Johnny Mostil
08-11-2004, 11:22 AM
It's nice to know we have famous fans that are actually good. Grossman, Brown, and Tillman.
Does anybody know if Butkus (South Chicago native, as I recall) is a Sox fan (or even cares about baseball)?

sendimjoey
08-11-2004, 11:32 AM

My boss is a Sox fan and a Packers fan. He grew up in the near west suburbs. I asked him once why he was a Packers fan, and he said it was because his family grew up loving the Cardinals. They hated the Bears, and they somewhat blamed George Halas for the team's demise in Chicago (although I think the Bidwill family has to take a lot more of the blame). Hating the Bears and their founder, they naturally gravitated to the team's biggest rivals, the Packers. As he jokes, they made the switch just in time for the Lombardi era, and just before my boss was born. He is as big of a Packers fan as any cheesehead you've ever met.

oeo
08-11-2004, 12:08 PM
With good reason--I'm pretty sure Halas named the Bears after the Cubs and the NFL after the National (Baseball) League.
Yeah, I'm also pretty sure that the Bears were named after the Flubs...it had to do with Wrigley Field and the Bears being "bigger" than the Flubs.

mcfish
08-11-2004, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I'm also pretty sure that the Bears were named after the Flubs...it had to do with Wrigley Field and the Bears being "bigger" than the Flubs.Look around and you'll see a couple of football teams seem to have been named after baseball teams.
Chicago Cubs - Bears
San Fransisco (then New York) Giants - New York Giants
Detroit Tigers - Lions
a stretch: Pittsburgh Pirates - Steelers.

Nellie_Fox
08-12-2004, 12:41 AM
a stretch: Pittsburgh Pirates - Steelers.That's more than a stretch. The Steelers name is because back then Pittsburgh was the undisputed center of the American steel industry. There were open-hearth steel furnaces all along the rivers, belching black smoke into the sky.

As for Butkus, I've never heard anything one way or the other, but I suspect he would consider baseball a sissy sport.

doublem23
08-12-2004, 01:30 AM
but I suspect he would consider baseball a sissy sport.
I would agree... C'mon, the guy thought Brian Urlacher was soft.