PDA

View Full Version : Millwood Done For Year?

RKMeibalane
08-10-2004, 11:29 PM
Kevin Millwood Out 6-8 Weeks (At Least) (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1856671)

It looks like the Phillies have become the National League version of the White Sox. Like the Sox, the Phils had high expectations entering this season. And like the Sox, Philadelphia has seen several key players miss time because of injuries. If something happens to either Thome or Abreu, we may be hearing form the conspiracy theorists about how MLB wants to keep the Sox and Phillies out of the World Series.

samram
08-11-2004, 08:49 AM
You think he's regretting signing that one-year deal now? His strategy was to go back in the market this offseason with better numbers, but now he's probably going to be perceived as slightly damaged goods.

Also, the Phillies are the White Sox of the NL. There's no reason they shouldn't be running away with that division, especially with Florida playing so poorly.

RKMeibalane
08-11-2004, 03:43 PM
You think he's regretting signing that one-year deal now? His strategy was to go back in the market this offseason with better numbers, but now he's probably going to be perceived as slightly damaged goods.

Also, the Phillies are the White Sox of the NL. There's no reason they shouldn't be running away with that division, especially with Florida playing so poorly.
Just like the Sox, though, the Phillies appear to have some serious problems in the front-office, and on the field. I'm going to be surprsied if Bowa and/or Wade isn't fired because of this disaster.

Jjav829
08-11-2004, 03:59 PM
Just like the Sox, though, the Phillies appear to have some serious problems in the front-office, and on the field. I'm going to be surprsied if Bowa and/or Wade isn't fired because of this disaster.
I can't see why Bowa would keep his job. I know that his is generally liked in Philadelphia, but that doesn't include his team. Most of the players in that clubhouse seem to dislike him. Who wants to bet they turn to Jerry Manuel as a replacement?

As for Millwood, he's definitely regretting chasing the big bucks. His numbers were bad this year (grated he was pitching in a hitters park) and he's going to be coming off surgery. Chalk this up as another bad decision made by Scott Boras.

skobabe8
08-11-2004, 04:09 PM
I can't see why Bowa would keep his job. I know that his is generally liked in Philadelphia, but that doesn't include his team. Most of the players in that clubhouse seem to dislike him. Who wants to bet they turn to Jerry Manuel as a replacement?

As for Millwood, he's definitely regretting chasing the big bucks. His numbers were bad this year (grated he was pitching in a hitters park) and he's going to be coming off surgery. Chalk this up as another bad decision made by Scott Boras.

Now THAT would be something! :D:

RKMeibalane
08-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Yes, it would. Just imagine Manuel tinkering with a National League team. He'd end up with Jose Mesa playing center field. LOL!

Jjav829
08-11-2004, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't count it out. After Bows, they're gonna turn to a players manager type. I wouldn't count Manuel out of that. He won a Manager of the Year award, he has a World Series on his resume, and he's a good interview. That's enough to get him considered. The players will love him in comparison to Bows. I'd guess they look at GOTO Caxton but Manuel might have a shot.

BTW, Jose Mesa is a Pirate. :smile:

samram
08-11-2004, 06:03 PM
I wouldn't count it out. After Bows, they're gonna turn to a players manager type. I wouldn't count Manuel out of that. He won a Manager of the Year award, he has a World Series on his resume, and he's a good interview. That's enough to get him considered. The players will love him in comparison to Bows. I'd guess they look at GOTO Caxton but Manuel might have a shot.

BTW, Jose Mesa is a Pirate. :smile:
Yeah, Manuel is everything Bowa isn't, and vice versa. I think Brenley will also get a look. Ed Wade is probably safe- he's put some pretty good talent out there, and I think he will be given a chance with a different manager.

BTW, it doesn't matter that Mesa is a Pirate- Jerry could still get him in the lineup with the Phillies, especially on a Sunday after the Phils took the first two of a three game set.:smile:

RKMeibalane
08-11-2004, 11:00 PM
BTW, it doesn't matter that Mesa is a Pirate- Jerry could still get him in the lineup with the Phillies, especially on a Sunday after the Phils took the first two of a three game set.:smile:
That's right. I've been playing an old baseball game from 2001, which has Mesa still playing with the Phillies. Either way, I don't like the idea of "The Tinkerer" in charge of an NL team. I'd much rather see him manage an AL club, so the Sox can actually benefit from his screwy personel moves.