PDA

View Full Version : Favorite game memories?

DumpJerry
08-10-2004, 08:07 PM
Ok, let's forget the present and think about some pleasant things....what is everyone's favorite memories of games that you have been to (you can list more than one)? The game involved must be one you attended, not watched on TV, heard on the radio or read about.

I'll start.

I have several, in no particular order:

1. My very first Sox game (always a fan favorite). Ed Hermann went yard. My dad forgot to tell me about the scoreboard......:wink:

2. Bo Jackson's first at-bat after the new hip. The home run ball landed 7 rows right in front of me! I was on television coast-to-coast!:D:

3. Greg Luzinski, August, 1983 (forgot precise date). Monday night against the Yankees on Monday Night Baseball (the only game that was allowed to be televised anywhere in the USA at the time). Yanks' pitcher, Fontenot was making his major league debut. Since this was MNB, his family and friends back home in California were able to see it. First inning, two on and up come Bull.....Fontenot throws breaking stuff to get some balls and strikes on him and then, kids don't try this at home, throws a fastball. I was sitting in the Mezzanine behind the first base line at home. I never, before or since, heard a more solid connection between ball and bat. The sweet spot on the ball met the sweet spot on the bat at the sweet spot of the swing. Fontenot got whiplash watching the ball fly over his head. Dave Parker, the Yanks' LF'der just turned his palms up and shrugged. The ball was still rising when it hit the light tower in left field! :bandance: Two innings later, Luzinski comes up with one on. You think Fontenot learned his lesson? Nope. 3-2 count....fastball...this time Parker and the CF'der took two steps back before quitting. Ball smacked the facade of the upper deck about 2 feet from the opening in center field. Was going so hard, it would have cleared the park between the upper deck and scoreboard. Sox won with all the scoring for us coming on those two blasts!

4. Robin Ventura, July 31, 1991. Going into the game, Robin was named Player of the Month for July with10 homers and other amazing numbers. During the game, he and Big Frank hit dingers. Bottom of the 9th, Sox are down by two and the bases are jammed with no outs, Goose Gossage on the hill. Ozzie (yes, our fearless leader) gets out, Fisk flies out to short. Then up come Robin with Frank on deck. First two pitches are breaking balls, low for 2-0 count. 40,000+ of us are on our feet screaming (a win will put us one game out of first). He can't walk Robin because then Frank is up with one run needed to tie. Next pitch, letter-high outside fastball. I was in a trance as I watched the ball float up and away and disappear in the right-center seats. The place was nuts!:bandance: :bandance: The dugout emptied to greet Robin, Frank threw him on his shoulders in a Fireman's carry and ran around, the fans did not leave the seats for over 10 minutes as the replay was shown over and over.....felt like Game 7!

5. Can't remember the guy's name (Andy Hawkins? I'll look it up later). Pitcher for Yankees in 1990. Last time the Yanks will play at old Comiskey. This is also Comiskey's last birthday. The Yanks of 1990 are like the Royals today, a AA team playing with the Big Boys. Well, the old Yanks in Heaven (or wherever) arranged for an interesting game. The Sox had to win given it is Comiskey's last birthday and the Yanks had to make it interesting given it is their last visit. Soooo....Sox win without getting a single hit!!! Three errors in a row in the 8th allowed us to score 3 runs! Until the rules were changed a few years ago, he was credited with a no-hitter. Hawkins next outing? 10 innings against the Twins and lost 1-0. And Loiza complained about poor run support? :tongue:

What does every cherish?

Brian26
08-10-2004, 08:17 PM
Nice memories. I wasn't at the game on 7-31-91, but that's my all-time favorite Sox moment.

BTW, I think you meant Dave Winfield on the Yankees...not Dave Parker.

pinwheels3530
08-10-2004, 08:22 PM
I was at the division clinching game in 93 against Seattle siting in the right field bleachers. I got to see Bo Jackson hit that tie breaking HR that would eventually win the game. Go Go Sox!!!!

DumpJerry
08-10-2004, 08:25 PM
Maybe Winfield.....my memory gets vague after three weeks....lol

That 7-31-91 game was one of the greatest moments of my life as a Sox fan. To make it better, I was there with a big time Flub fan friend who sank in her seat green with envy.....poor baby......she acknowledged that "you guys have turned the corner, you are IT, the team to beat." Imagine a Flub fan saying that now!:D:

DumpJerry
08-10-2004, 08:38 PM
I must add one more:

4-18-02, two days after I turned 40. My friend was flown up here from Tennessee by the team to sing the National Anthem. We had some real nice box seats courtesy of the team to see them play the Tribe! My friend's screen name on here is "Soxstarter."

WhteSox725
08-11-2004, 09:13 AM
4. Robin Ventura, July 31, 1991. Going into the game, Robin was named Player of the Month for July with10 homers and other amazing numbers. During the game, he and Big Frank hit dingers. Bottom of the 9th, Sox are down by two and the bases are jammed with no outs, Goose Gossage on the hill. Ozzie (yes, our fearless leader) gets out, Fisk flies out to short. Then up come Robin with Frank on deck. First two pitches are breaking balls, low for 2-0 count. 40,000+ of us are on our feet screaming (a win will put us one game out of first). He can't walk Robin because then Frank is up with one run needed to tie. Next pitch, letter-high outside fastball. I was in a trance as I watched the ball float up and away and disappear in the right-center seats. The place was nuts!:bandance: :bandance: The dugout emptied to greet Robin, Frank threw him on his shoulders in a Fireman's carry and ran around, the fans did not leave the seats for over 10 minutes as the replay was shown over and over.....felt like Game 7!

That's probably my greatest White Sox memory as well. It was a great game. I was at that game. Upper deck, right field corner 25 rows up. No one was complaining about the upper deck back then. LOL.

Eddie Gaedel
08-11-2004, 09:26 AM
4. Robin Ventura, July 31, 1991. Going into the game, Robin was named Player of the Month for July with10 homers and other amazing numbers. During the game, he and Big Frank hit dingers. Bottom of the 9th, Sox are down by two and the bases are jammed with no outs, Goose Gossage on the hill. Ozzie (yes, our fearless leader) gets out, Fisk flies out to short. Then up come Robin with Frank on deck. First two pitches are breaking balls, low for 2-0 count. 40,000+ of us are on our feet screaming (a win will put us one game out of first). He can't walk Robin because then Frank is up with one run needed to tie. Next pitch, letter-high outside fastball. I was in a trance as I watched the ball float up and away and disappear in the right-center seats. The place was nuts!:bandance: :bandance: The dugout emptied to greet Robin, Frank threw him on his shoulders in a Fireman's carry and ran around, the fans did not leave the seats for over 10 minutes as the replay was shown over and over.....felt like Game 7!?one of my favorites as well. i feel lucky to have been there.
here's a goodie:
june 23, 2000 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B06230CHA2000.htm)

the SOX were down by 1 going into the 9th. lee hit a solo shot to tie the game and then valentine gets a broken bat single to drive in perry (i can't remember how we got on base) to win the game! what made it really sweet was i had great seats, it was against the spankees, and there were fireworks after the game.

Eddie Gaedel
08-11-2004, 09:28 AM
I was at the division clinching game in 93 against Seattle siting in the right field bleachers. I got to see Bo Jackson hit that tie breaking HR that would eventually win the game. Go Go Sox!!!!
i was in right as well. i still carry the ticket stub in my wallet.

eriqjaffe
08-11-2004, 09:38 AM
My two most memorable games are from my childhood...

6/20/1980, against Detroit. In a 3-3 game, top of the 11th, Ed Farmer gets leadoff hitter Al Cowens to ground out to short. But when the throw reached Mike Squires, Cowens wasn't there. He was charging the mound! Apparently, Farmer had plunked Cowens in 1979, and decided that the top of the 11th was the best time to get revenge. Both benches emptied, marking the only bench-clearing brawl I've ever seen in person. To make it better, my dad & I were sitting in the front row, behind the tarp on the first-base side. Unfortunately, the Sox lost, 5-3.

8/1/1982, against Boston. Otherwise un-notable Red Sox catcher Gary Allenson scores on a 4-base error, when his routine fly to center hits Ron LeFlore on the head. Harold Baines also hit a 2-run homer. I also remember that it was "Tube Socks" day, sponsored by Clorox. "When When the White Sox play the Red Sox get some Tube Socks from Clorox." Sox win, 4-2.

SoxFan78
08-11-2004, 10:40 AM
My favorite memory was sitting in the 30th row on the Friday game last year vs the Cubs and seeing Valentin hit a home run to win the game!

DumpJerry
08-11-2004, 02:01 PM
One game I did not make was actually a series against the Twins in 1977, the year of the South Side Hitmen. It was June and the Twins were here for a three-day, four game set (doubleheaders were actually part of the schedules back then) leading the Sox by three games. Sox fans were somewhat apprehensive because, on paper, the Twins were much better. We swept the Twins and took over first place that weekend.:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: The whole town was glued to the televisions and radios as we trounced them! :D:

That year the Sox and Flubs were in first place longer than any other team in their respective leagues. True to Chicago fashion, however, they were not in first on the one day it counted, the last day. In fact, the Flubs, who had the best record in the NL for a while that season, finished third at 81-81. Da Chokers.:rolleyes: Sox finished with a better record.:smile: That season was a wonderful time to be a Sox fan, General Admission tickets were $2.00, Veeck owned the team and Ritchie Zisk and Oscar Gamble kept the fireworks guy busy.

Magglios_Girl
08-11-2004, 03:35 PM
4-15-04
My dad and me went to the game that day. My dad's not a big baseball fan like I am but I wanted him to come with me just so that we could have a good time at the ballpark. It was the bottom of the 10th inning, the game was tied at 5 and Jose Valentin is at the plate. I said "I hope they walk him because I know Magglio will save the day--just watch". Magglio steps up, 2 outs, the counts at 0-2, the ball flies up...I swear, everything moved in slow motion, the baseball falls in the hands of a fan sitting in left field and we had just swept the Royals. I was jumping and screeming with every Sox fan in the park while chanting OOH-EEE-OOH MAAAGGLIOOO. So then my Dad and me were walking to the car and everyones STILL yelling OOH-EEE-OOH MAAAGGLIOOO. Even my Dad was saying it--and hes always very serious. Then he told me "you're just like your grandmother (his mom)". My grandmother passed away about 2 years ago. She loved baseball and wouldn't miss a game--just like me:tongue: .
That week, Magglio won the Pepsi player of the week award for the 1st week of the season.

MRKARNO
08-11-2004, 03:42 PM
08-18-03

Jarrod Washburn is in total control of the game for the first 6 innings and he has a no-no going with the Angels already having scored 2 runs off of Mark Buehrle. The first hitter in the 7th is Roberto Alomar who singles to break up the no-no. Next hitter is Frank Thomas who goes yard to tie the game. The game remains scoreless into the bottom of the ninth when Tony Graffanino leads off with a double off Washburn who is still in the game. Roberto does something to cause an out and Thomas comes to the plate. He hits a walk-off home run right inside the left-field foul pole. The four hits I mentioned were the only four the entire game for them. It was Frank Thomas at his best.

skobabe8
08-11-2004, 03:52 PM
I was too! One of the highest hit HR balls i've ever seen in my life. We were in right-center field right up against the batters eye. Man was that awesome.

Sell Jerry Sell!
08-11-2004, 04:43 PM
I don't remember the day but it was in 1980. My parents took me to my first sox game, we were sitting in left field. I was AMAZED at the size of the park. I had a little league game earlier that night so I still had my uniform on. I stood in the front row and watching the royals warm up and George Brett was playing catch. When he was done my mom asked him for the ball and he said sure and threw me the ball. I still have the ball on my dresser and Brett is my favorite non-sox player of all time.

2nd best memory when CLee hit the walk off salamie against Courtney Duncan (now a sox minor leaguer). I was in the last row of the upper tank.

hose
08-11-2004, 05:07 PM
Last nights game was the best defense I've ever seen the Sox play in person.

SOXPHILE
08-11-2004, 08:10 PM
-The last game of the 1977 season. I was in 2nd grade, and it was my very first Sox game. My dad and grandfather (On my mother's side) took me. I remember Zisk hit a homerun, and the scoreboard going off, and the Sox losing 3-2 to the Seattle Mariners. They bought me a blue plastic batting helmet with SOX across the front. I wore that everywhere, and I still have it packed away in a closet.

-The Turn Back The Clock game against the Brewers in the old Comiskey in 1990. It was the very first of it's kind. (Now they do it all over MLB, NFL, NBA & the NHL). They turned off all the power on the scoreboards, and kept score by hand on a white scoreboard. Gene Honda announced the lineups through a bullhorn, but I couldn't hear anything, we were in the Upper Deck.

-The first night game at the New Comiskey against the Orioles

-Carlton Fisk's record breaking game for catching in 1993 against Texas. He gave a pretty long speech, and when Bo rode the Harley in from the outfield, that brought the house down. Plus, the Sox won.

-Also in 1993, I too was there for the clincher against Seattle. Sat in the upper deck, third base side, way up high, almost on a direct line from the foul pole. When Bo Jackson hit that homerun, I remember seeing it go HIGHER than the foul pole, and about eye level with me, and thinking "I think that's the highest I've ever seen a ball hit". (1993 was a good year baseball wise, because besides these last two games, I was also in Houston in early September, and saw Darryl Kyle's no hitter against the Mets, along with only maybe 10,000 other people in attendance)

-August 19, 2000. Sox vs Devil Rays. I was getting married in a couple of weeks, and my dad was my best man. So, he and I and a bunch of my friends went to the game that night for my batchelor party. Sat in the right field stands, about 12 rows back. I don't remember the score, but the Sox just absolutely killed the D-Rays, something like 9-1. Plus, it was Elvis night, and after the game, a bunch of Elvis impersonators sky-dived into the park, and a couple of other ones were going around the field singing Elvis songs. COOL !!

-2002. The friday Cubs-Sox game, when the Cubs were winning 8-0, but the Sox came back and beat them 11-9, led by Paulie's two homers. I remember when the Cubs brought in Jeff Fassero whole the Sox were still trailing, I thought "Awesome ! Now the Sox are REALLY gonna score some runs !"

-2004 The Saturday Cubs-Sox game. Rowand hit a homerun to tie it, then in the bottom of the ninth, D'Angelo Jimenez singles home Magglio for a White Sox Winner ! That game featured a long rain delay, and alot of crestfallen faces on Cub fans .

skobabe8
08-11-2004, 10:26 PM
-

-Also in 1993, I too was there for the clincher against Seattle. Sat in the upper deck, third base side, way up high, almost on a direct line from the foul pole. When Bo Jackson hit that homerun, I remember seeing it go HIGHER than the foul pole, and about eye level with me, and thinking "I think that's the highest I've ever seen a ball hit". (1993 was a good year baseball wise, because besides these last two games, I was also in Houston in early September, and saw Darryl Kyle's no hitter against the Mets, along with only maybe 10,000 other people in attendance)

-2004 The Saturday Cubs-Sox game. Rowand hit a homerun to tie it, then in the bottom of the ninth, D'Angelo Jimenez singles home Magglio for a White Sox Winner ! That game featured a long rain delay, and alot of crestfallen faces on Cub fans .
I agree with the Bo HR being one of the highest HR balls I've ever seen (see my first post), but I don't think D'angelo Jimenez has knocked in Maggs or anyone else on the Sox this year. :smile:

SOXPHILE
08-11-2004, 10:36 PM
I agree with the Bo HR being one of the highest HR balls I've ever seen (see my first post), but I don't think D'angelo Jimenez has knocked in Maggs or anyone else on the Sox this year. :smile:
Whoops ! I meant 2003 !:redface:

johnny bench
08-11-2004, 10:49 PM
Last night game in the old park. Fireworks on the roof was probably the coolest display I've ever seen. And, my wife got my name on the scoreboard...

The Old-Timers game on the day before the 1983 All-Star game. I was looking at those pictures the other day: the park was nearly empty. I think it was five bucks to get in so we could see Bob Feller, Willie Mays, DiMaggio, Ernie Banks, a bunch of stars from the Negro league. I only wish I had taken more pictures.

mike squires
08-11-2004, 11:06 PM
My first Whitesox game was in August of '83. I was amazed how gren everything was. The Bull hit a bomb over the roof off of Oil Can Boyd. He hit another into the upper deck, Baines hit one to right and Rudy Law just missed one down the right field line. Sox win 6 to 2.

I have mentioned this game to both Greg and Harold. Luzinski without a change of expresion said, "that was a long time ago."

Baines just said, "Is that right?"

I still have the program with Rich Gedmans autograph on it.

Sorry for you old timers that have heard this sotry a million tmes.

DumpJerry
08-12-2004, 08:20 AM
[QUOTE=johnny bench]Last night game in the old park. Fireworks on the roof was probably the coolest display I've ever seen. And, my wife got my name on the scoreboard...

I was at that game, too. I have a pic of the fireworks show hanging in my home....it was the greatest show ever, anywhere! The game was bittersweet as I was saying goodbye to an old, dear friend who was my summer home in high school..........still miss her.:wink:

Johnny Mostil
08-12-2004, 09:38 AM
3. Greg Luzinski, August, 1983 (forgot precise date). Monday night against the Yankees on Monday Night Baseball (the only game that was allowed to be televised anywhere in the USA at the time). Yanks' pitcher, Fontenot was making his major league debut. Since this was MNB, his family and friends back home in California were able to see it. First inning, two on and up come Bull.....Fontenot throws breaking stuff to get some balls and strikes on him and then, kids don't try this at home, throws a fastball. I was sitting in the Mezzanine behind the first base line at home. I never, before or since, heard a more solid connection between ball and bat. The sweet spot on the ball met the sweet spot on the bat at the sweet spot of the swing. Fontenot got whiplash watching the ball fly over his head. Dave Parker, the Yanks' LF'der just turned his palms up and shrugged. The ball was still rising when it hit the light tower in left field! :bandance: Two innings later, Luzinski comes up with one on. You think Fontenot learned his lesson? Nope. 3-2 count....fastball...this time Parker and the CF'der took two steps back before quitting. Ball smacked the facade of the upper deck about 2 feet from the opening in center field. Was going so hard, it would have cleared the park between the upper deck and scoreboard. Sox won with all the scoring for us coming on those two blasts!

5. Can't remember the guy's name (Andy Hawkins? I'll look it up later). Pitcher for Yankees in 1990. Last time the Yanks will play at old Comiskey. This is also Comiskey's last birthday. The Yanks of 1990 are like the Royals today, a AA team playing with the Big Boys. Well, the old Yanks in Heaven (or wherever) arranged for an interesting game. The Sox had to win given it is Comiskey's last birthday and the Yanks had to make it interesting given it is their last visit. Soooo....Sox win without getting a single hit!!! Three errors in a row in the 8th allowed us to score 3 runs! Until the rules were changed a few years ago, he was credited with a no-hitter. Hawkins next outing? 10 innings against the Twins and lost 1-0. And Loiza complained about poor run support? :tongue:

Two of my favorites as well. I was sitting in the old center field bleachers for the Monday night Yanks' game with the Luzinski HRs, and that second HR was probably the hardest hit baseball I've ever seen--yes, IMO, even harder than the first.

The 7/1/90 no-hitter was indeed thrown by Andy Hawkins. (Also my third date with the woman I wed a year and a half later.) Not only did Hawkins throw a no-hitter, but both pitchers had a perfect game through 4.5 innings--15 up and down for the Yanks, and 12 up and down for the Sox until Hawkins issued a walk in the bottom of the fifth. (After seeing half the prospective double perfect game, I turned to my lady friend and told her she'd never see a baseball game like this again. Little did I know how true that was.)

I thought the no-hit rules change was nuts. I can understand why a rain-shortened game shouldn't count as a no-hitter, but I can't understand why Hawkins, who pitched all the innings the opposing team batted in a full-length regulation game, shouldn't be credited with one.

DumpJerry
08-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Two of my favorites as well. I was sitting in the old center field bleachers for the Monday night Yanks' game with the Luzinski HRs, and that second HR was probably the hardest hit baseball I've ever seen--yes, IMO, even harder than the first.

The 7/1/90 no-hitter was indeed thrown by Andy Hawkins. (Also my third date with the woman I wed a year and a half later.) Not only did Hawkins throw a no-hitter, but both pitchers had a perfect game through 4.5 innings--15 up and down for the Yanks, and 12 up and down for the Sox until Hawkins issued a walk in the bottom of the fifth. (After seeing half the prospective double perfect game, I turned to my lady friend and told her she'd never see a baseball game like this again. Little did I know how true that was.)

I thought the no-hit rules change was nuts. I can understand why a rain-shortened game shouldn't count as a no-hitter, but I can't understand why Hawkins, who pitched all the innings the opposing team batted in a full-length regulation game, shouldn't be credited with one.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot about our hurler (Dotson? I want to say Britt Burns, but wasn't he gone by then?) who was perfect kinda deep into the game. I was telling my friend who was with me that nobody will believe us, especially when the Sox won. I remember after the Sox finally got out of the bottom of the 8th, Hawkins was halfway to the dugout when everyone realized that if the Yanks did not score at least 3 runs in the 9th (back then, they usually scored three runs in ONE WEEK), Hawkins was done with a no-no. Everyone got up on their feet for an ovation. Hawkins, with head hanging lower than Jose Valentin after committing an error that costs us a game, tipped his hat and kept walking off the field probably to look for John Gotti's phone number so he could straighten out some of his teammates.

An interesting trivia question comes up in relation to what almost happened in this game: When Sandy Koufax pitched his fourth and last no-no, how many walks did he surrender, how many hits and walks did the opposing pitcher give up and what team was it against? Answers: Koufax threw a perfect game for his fourth no-no, the opposing pitcher gave one hit and one walk (almost a double perfect game!!). The other team? THE FLUBS!!!!!!!!!!:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :D:

RKMeibalane
08-12-2004, 10:40 PM
08-18-03

Jarrod Washburn is in total control of the game for the first 6 innings and he has a no-no going with the Angels already having scored 2 runs off of Mark Buehrle. The first hitter in the 7th is Roberto Alomar who singles to break up the no-no. Next hitter is Frank Thomas who goes yard to tie the game. The game remains scoreless into the bottom of the ninth when Tony Graffanino leads off with a double off Washburn who is still in the game. Roberto does something to cause an out and Thomas comes to the plate. He hits a walk-off home run right inside the left-field foul pole. The four hits I mentioned were the only four the entire game for them. It was Frank Thomas at his best.
That was a great game. I have it on tape somewhere. To answer your question of sorts about Alomar's at-bat in the ninth, he moved Tony G over to third with a sacrifice bunt. When Frank came up, there was some speculation by Dave O'Brien and Rick Suttcliffe that Washburn would walk Thomas and Ordonez in order to pitch to Carlos Lee. They were shocked when he decided to pitch to Frank. I remember seeing Washburn wind up and saying to myself, "They're going to pitch to him? This ballgame is over."

JB98
08-12-2004, 11:13 PM
08-18-03

This was the best game I've been to in person. It was over in about two hours too. Buerhle was real good that night, keeping us in it until Frank got to Washburn. I still can't believe they pitched to him after Alomar bunted Tony G. over to third. I guess the Angels were out of the race, so they figured, "What the hell?" Scioscia tried that fifth infielder thing too, but of course, Frank blasted it over everybody's heads after fouling off several tough pitches.

JohnBasedowYoda
08-12-2004, 11:19 PM
I love it when dave wills goes over the PA "....on White Sox baseball NEEEEEEEEEEXXXXXXXXXXTTTTTT!!!!!"

Johnny Mostil
08-12-2004, 11:56 PM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot about our hurler (Dotson? I want to say Britt Burns, but wasn't he gone by then?) who was perfect kinda deep into the game.
Greg Hibbard, I do believe, though I may be wrong. Googling this game led me to this rather interesting link (which does not mention the Sox starting pitcher): http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/excerpts/records_registry20.stm

MRKARNO
08-13-2004, 12:04 AM
Last nights game was the best defense I've ever seen the Sox play in person.
Same here. They made every single play, even the toughest ones.

the_valenstache
08-13-2004, 12:06 AM
Great post. Since I'm only 22, that moment in particular is, without a doubt, my favorite all-time Sox highlight. Too bad I wasn't there, but watching that replay is burnt into my memory, and the reason I'll never be anything but a Sox fan.

the_valenstache
08-13-2004, 12:13 AM
Besides Robin's walkoff grandslam, I'm proud to have been to the last game at Old Comiskey and the first game at New Comiskey. Not a lot of Sox fans my age can say that.

Also, and this is absolutely true, I had my first kiss as a young teenager at New Comiskey Park with a girl I was infatuated with. Not just some shy, red-cheeked peck on the lips - we snuck back to some deserted area with picnic benches and made out like prom was ending. Wish I could remember what happened in the game, though. :D:

ClaudelSleptHere
08-13-2004, 12:35 AM
Two entries:

1) First Sox game....1961 (don't remember exact date). Little League Day. Anyone remember those days when you got in free and marched around the perimeter of the field with your team.

2) 7/2/77....Jim Spencer hits a grand slam and has 8 RBI (for the second time in less than two months), and the Sox beat the Twins 13-8.

DumpJerry
08-13-2004, 01:24 AM
Two entries:

1) First Sox game....1961 (don't remember exact date). Little League Day. Anyone remember those days when you got in free and marched around the perimeter of the field with your team.

2) 7/2/77....Jim Spencer hits a grand slam and has 8 RBI (for the second time in less than two months), and the Sox beat the Twins 13-8.I think the game Claudel mentions is from the series I mentioned earlier in this thread as taking place in June of '77. I do remember Spencer hitting a Grand Salami that caused more joy in Sox fans' hearts than the Grand Slam Kerry Wood gave up in Game 7 last October............

Oh, 1961, the year before I was born......

ClaudelSleptHere
08-13-2004, 01:38 AM
I've heard it said that you're only as old as you feel. Being a Sox fan, I feel like I'm 100!!! Except then, I would've seen a World Series win.

StillMissOzzie
08-13-2004, 02:01 AM
Relived a lot of great memories just reading this far, because I've been to many of the games several of you mentioned earlier. In no particular order, I'll repeat a few of my favorites:

* The 1993 clincher featuring the Bo Jackson "Moon Shot" homer
* The Ventura grand slam off of Gossage-[ side memory: me & the wife went w/ another couple, and he was schnockered before we left for the game. He had a few more beers at the game, then went off for a self-guided tour of the park, a/c it was his first time there. Tried to mosey into the club level, got escorted out of the park. His wife was worried a/c he was gone for like 2/3 of the game, but he was waiting for us by my car. He had missed it all! ]
* The El Caballo walk-off grand slam in extra innings to put away the sCrUBS
* The Valentin walk-off homer to put away the sCrUBS
* The Valentin broken bat single to come back from 1 run down in the 9th (off of Mariano Rivera, IIRC)-[ side memory: was there with a group from the office including one rabid sCrUB fan who had thought the Yanks had it in the bag...heh heh heh ]
* Also vs. the Yanks, the greatest DP I've ever seen in person: Juice Cruz dove to his right to snare a hot grounder up the middle, flipping directly from his glove to Ozzie's bare hand as he came across 2nd base, and firing to first to get a streaking Dave Winfield.
* All 3 games of the final weekend at Old Comiskey. Great fireworks Saturday night, Thiggy got a save Sunday (IIRC). [ side memories: they handed out a "certificate" that stated that you were at the Final Game at Old Comiskey, and I have this cert autographed by appx 15-20 players from the 1990 team. I also have a film can with warning track dirt from Old Comiskey that I scooped up myself before that final game ]

That was fun just reliving those great games here!

SMO

ClaudelSleptHere
08-13-2004, 02:29 AM
One more memory: Not sure of the date, but it had to be in the late 70's because it was a SCHEDULED double-header. Between games they had a 16-inch softball home run hitting contest among local fat guys. They batted from second base, and we booed every guy who failed to hit one out. I caught one of the homers in left-center..........still the only ball I have ever caught at a professional game. Oh, the memories.

DumpJerry
08-13-2004, 08:09 AM
Oh yeah, I was at Disco Demolition Night. Not sure if this qualifies as a "favorite" memory, but definately a "lasting" one. I was in the front row of the RF upper deck (my "season" seats during the Veeck era, he never sold reserved tix for those seats. JR did not let sit there when he took over:angry: ).

Before the hoopla over the anniversary of Disco Dem. Night this year, I was reminded of it when I went to the Sox/Flubs game at the Urinal on 7-2 this year. I was in the Center Field Bleachers and they were dancing to disco there!!!!!:o: This was my first visit to the Urinal since August, 1984. Might wait another 20 years before I go back.

I hate to admit this, but a lasting Baseball memory I have is going to see the Flubs and Phillies play on my tenth birthday in 1972. The Flubs pitcher that day, Burt Hooten, pitched a no-no, the first MLB rookie in 62 years to throw a no-no. I think the Flubs won that game. Not sure, though......:cool: