PDA

View Full Version : stupid questions and Whitesox

GASHWOUND
10-02-2001, 05:22 PM
These are some stupid questions so you've been warned.

Why are the Whitesox called the Whitesox?

When did the original Whitestockings come into existance?

Why are they called the PaleHose?

Why haven't we won a WorldSeries since 1917?

If Satan himself offered us a choice between winning a Worldseries in exchange for our souls or the Cubs vanishing from the face of the Earth, Which would you choose?

Are these questons stupid?

If you combined Sosa, C. Everett, and Reinsdorf..what would you get?

thankyou

:)

oldcomiskey
10-02-2001, 05:38 PM
pale hose is another way of saying white stockings, and if Im not mistaken didnt Commie himself take the name White Sox from an old NL team..as far as selling my soul---Id do everything in my power but that

czalgosz
10-02-2001, 05:52 PM
1. Why are the Whitesox called the Whitesox?

The original name for the Cubs was the White Stockings. The White Sox took that name when they were formed in 1901, mainly for the name recognition that already existed.

2. When did the original Whitestockings come into existance?

They were the Cubs, so 1870...

3. Why are they called the PaleHose?

I think it's just a Sportswriter thing... Beat writers get tired of writing "White Sox" 900 times a day, so they made up other names to sprinkle in there.

4. Why haven't we won a WorldSeries since 1917?

Long story short...

The Black Sox scandal (1919) ruined any chances the Sox had for the next 20 years. Remember, this was before the amateur draft, so teams had to convince young players to sign with them.
The Sox were thought of as a dirty team for years afterward, so they had very few good players other than Appling until the '50s.
The good Sox teams of the 50's and 60's coincided with the Yankees reaching the peak of their dominance. Combined with ownership that simply didn't have the tools to hold together a winning franchise, the team was doomed to be in second place.

Since about 1980, though, I'd say we've just been unlucky.

5. If Satan himself offered us a choice between winning a Worldseries in exchange for our souls or the Cubs vanishing from the face of the Earth, Which would you choose?

I'd take the World Series, but only if it's 2002. I do not want the Cubs to win one first.

Spiff
10-02-2001, 06:02 PM
I agree with oldcomiskey. The Sox are important, but not that important.

oldcomiskey
10-02-2001, 06:02 PM
I am impressed anarchist----but I was right about the plae hose part huh? wasnt I? Huh?

czalgosz
10-02-2001, 06:04 PM
I am impressed anarchist----but I was right about the plae hose part huh? wasnt I? Huh?

You were right about everything. I just had to show off some Sox history knowledge. I was a history major, after all...

oldcomiskey
10-02-2001, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

You were right about everything. I just had to show off some Sox history knowledge. I was a history major, after all...
damn showoff---first he kills McKinley then I get caught in the crossfire

oldcomiskey
10-02-2001, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00
I agree with oldcomiskey. The Sox are important, but not that important.
I like him alot better than that....that...ASSASSIN

czalgosz
10-02-2001, 06:10 PM
Hey, I'm impressed you know who Leon Czolgosz was... the least-known presidential assassin. Quite an honor.

oldcomiskey
10-02-2001, 06:17 PM
I too know my history

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 06:20 PM
Hey, I'm impressed you know who Leon Czolgosz was... the least-known presidential assassin. Quite an honor.

I didn't know him, but I do now.

RichieRichAllen
10-02-2001, 06:23 PM

Well, hey....I know Leon from the rib place! And THAT man is quite the BBQ assassin. Yes he is...let me tell YOU!

"You can me Richie or you can call me Dick.....just don't call me late for one of those FINE, FINE Leon's BBQ dinners!"

CerberusWG
10-02-2001, 06:49 PM
If you combined Sosa, C. Everett, and Reinsdorf..what would you get?

Cerberus, the three headed dog that guards the entrance to hell in Greek Mythology.

Iguana775
10-02-2001, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
pale hose is another way of saying white stockings, and if Im not mistaken didnt Commie himself take the name White Sox from an old NL team..as far as selling my soul---Id do everything in my power but that

ok, why was comisky call commie???

i finally saw Eight men out this last weekend and they kept on calling him that. btw....GREAT MOVIE!!!! man, you got to feel sorry for shoeless. he got a little screwed.

czalgosz
10-02-2001, 07:41 PM
A lifetime ban was necessary for Shoeless Joe, but he and Buck Weaver were indeed screwed. They were sacrficed for the good of the sport.

idseer
10-02-2001, 08:52 PM
A lifetime ban was necessary for Shoeless Joe, but he and Buck Weaver were indeed screwed. They were sacrficed for the good of the sport.

joe's crime was not snitching. i'm not sure the exact law but i think it's a crime to hold back knowledge you have of a crime.

Spiff
10-02-2001, 09:00 PM
I think it's obstruction of justice, but I could be wrong.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-02-2001, 09:08 PM
Let's not forget, all of them were acquitted in court. They were all found not guilty, even Chick Gandil. It was Landis who had them banned IN SPITE of the acquittal.

There was no conspiracy proven, no attempt to obstruct justice proven, or any other crime proven either. Even the signed confessions were lost and not recovered till years later, making them hearsay in a court of law. Given we live in America, we are all assumed innocent until PROVEN guilty.

Landis and his employers (the owners who pay 100 percent of the commissioner's salary) had their own reasons for getting the Black Sox out of baseball. Law and justice had nothing to do with it.

Daver
10-02-2001, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Let's not forget, all of them were acquitted in court. They were all found not guilty, even Chick Gandil. It was Landis who had them banned IN SPITE of the acquittal.

There was no conspiracy proven, no attempt to obstruct justice proven, or any other crime proven either. Even the signed confessions were lost and not recovered till years later, making them hearsay in a court of law. Given we live in America, we are all assumed innocent until PROVEN guilty.

Landis and his employers (the owners who pay 100 percent of the commissioner's salary) had their own reasons for getting the Black Sox out of baseball. Law and justice had nothing to do with it.

That being said a lifetime ban ends with your life,Shoeless is dead so he should be in the HOF,it was only a lifetime ban.

But then again what the hell do I know?

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Maybe because the Sox would have one a few World Series titles? I haven't studied on them much but from the movie "Eight Men Out" they made that team seem pretty damn good. Of course that is a movie. If they didn't get banned perhaps it wouldn't be 85 years and waiting.

Maybe like 81 years :)

GASHWOUND
10-02-2001, 09:33 PM
1. Why are the Whitesox called the Whitesox?

The original name for the Cubs was the White Stockings. The White Sox took that name when they were formed in 1901, mainly for the name recognition that already existed.

2. When did the original Whitestockings come into existance?

They were the Cubs, so 1870...

3. Why are they called the PaleHose?

I think it's just a Sportswriter thing... Beat writers get tired of writing "White Sox" 900 times a day, so they made up other names to sprinkle in there.

4. Why haven't we won a WorldSeries since 1917?

Long story short...

The Black Sox scandal (1919) ruined any chances the Sox had for the next 20 years. Remember, this was before the amateur draft, so teams had to convince young players to sign with them.
The Sox were thought of as a dirty team for years afterward, so they had very few good players other than Appling until the '50s.
The good Sox teams of the 50's and 60's coincided with the Yankees reaching the peak of their dominance. Combined with ownership that simply didn't have the tools to hold together a winning franchise, the team was doomed to be in second place.

Since about 1980, though, I'd say we've just been unlucky.

5. If Satan himself offered us a choice between winning a Worldseries in exchange for our souls or the Cubs vanishing from the face of the Earth, Which would you choose?

I'd take the World Series, but only if it's 2002. I do not want the Cubs to win one first.

Impressive..very impressive Just one more thing..Why was the team named Whitestockings? Was it because the high whitesocks were in style back then?

And I'll answer my own question.

I'd to take the World series..What good is winning a World Series if you can't rub it in the sCrubs face!! (its a trick question)
:)

HootieMcBoob
10-02-2001, 10:44 PM

it is irrelevent that they were acquitted because we all know they were guilty. the confessions were stolen (by comiskey), so they were acquitted on lack of evidence. but years later shoeless joe tries suing comiskey for back pay. but commie pulls out the confessions and uses it against joe, thus denying joe his money.

i did my big jr. english speech on the subject, i know a lot about it. plus did you see that special on the scandal on espn classic? it was really well done.

ihatethecubs
10-03-2001, 12:14 AM
when comiskey moved the st paul saints to chicago comiskey needed a new name. the cubs said the new team had to play south of 35th st. and could not use "chicago" in their name. so comiskey stole the cubs old name, the white stockings.