PDA

View Full Version : Horrible night last night

balke
08-10-2004, 02:26 PM
Was moving out of my apartment late last night, and turned the radio on. I heard some really overly excited announcer screaming about a win. I'm in Southern Illinois, and on a station that is normally Chicago news. But no, at this hour it was Cleveland screaming about how they have 13 games left with the twins, and they just won the most important game of the season. Already they were talking about how they can't be beaten by the Yankees in the playoffs. And how they wished they got that sweep against the Sox, but they'll take the 3 wins.

I was actually kinda taken aback about how true their fans were. They were so excited about the team, and this announcer was going nuts about people selling out Jacobs throughout the rest of the season. I wish sox fans were like that more. They were overjoyed with 2nd place, even in 1st, sox only sold out 8 games, which I think ties the franchise record or something.

Anyways, it was a sad night for that reason. You don't know how good a thing you've got til its gone. And hearing how the game went, I became convinced the 5-spot is cursed. And wished the sox would've made much better moves than Everett, or Alomar. We had a real chance, even if we clogged our RF position, or had to spend more money, and trade bigger names. :whiner:

it was a bad day. I had some steak n shake though, that was good.

JB98
08-10-2004, 02:39 PM
I actually think it's a tremendous positive that the Twins and Tribe play 13 more times. Those two teams are going to beat each other up.

If we were a good team, we would be able to capitalize on that. Unfortunately, while our competitiors are playing .500 ball against each other, we'll probably be choking against the Royals and Tigers. We don't have what it takes.:whiner:

KingXerxes
08-10-2004, 02:52 PM
I actually think it's a tremendous positive that the Twins and Tribe play 13 more times. Those two teams are going to beat each other up.

If we were a good team, we would be able to capitalize on that. Unfortunately, while our competitiors are playing .500 ball against each other, we'll probably be choking against the Royals and Tigers. We don't have what it takes.:whiner:
It's not just that "we don't have what it takes". Put this into perspective.

If the Twins take 7 of the thirteen against Cleveland, then somewhere along the line the White Sox will have to win 13 in a row in order to catch them (assuming that they all play the same % ball in all their other games). As this season starts winding toward September, you've got to get red hot. I'm not saying this won't happen, only that it's a tall order.

Mohoney
08-10-2004, 03:04 PM

If the Twins take 7 of the thirteen against Cleveland, then somewhere along the line the White Sox will have to win 13 in a row in order to catch them (assuming that they all play the same % ball in all their other games). As this season starts winding toward September, you've got to get red hot. I'm not saying this won't happen, only that it's a tall order.

See, that's the thing. If the Twins play the same % ball against the Yankees as we do against Detroit and Kansas City, we're ALREADY screwed.

I just hope that the 18 inning game starts the Twins on a big-time nose dive, where they lose 7 out of 10 or something similar.

Flight #24
08-10-2004, 03:05 PM

Realistically, if the Twins take 7 of 13, and the Sox can take 10 of 13 over the same stretch, that gets us in range where going 4-2 H2H gets us tied in the loss column. That's not unheard of, but it's not the 13-game win streak you talk about. And since we have 10 left v. KC, that's IMO the place where we need to really make some hay.

windycityson
08-10-2004, 03:12 PM
Realistically, if the Twins take 7 of 13, and the Sox can take 10 of 13 over the same stretch, that gets us in range where going 4-2 H2H gets us tied in the loss column. That's not unheard of, but it's not the 13-game win streak you talk about. And since we have 10 left v. KC, that's IMO the place where we need to really make some hay.
I still belive we have a chance. I think after last night game. The bats might finally be awake. We didn't quit. If they don't quit, I won't.

MRKARNO
08-10-2004, 03:38 PM
I just hope that the 18 inning game starts the Twins on a big-time nose dive, where they lose 7 out of 10 or something similar.
They've already lost 4 out of 5 and we've gained a grand total of zero games.