PDA

View Full Version : Let Borchard start the rest of the year!!!

thezeker
08-10-2004, 11:22 AM
It is time to give Borchard the chance to play regularly and find out once and for all if he is in our future plans.

For those who say we would be kissing off the rest of the season I disagree. Right now he is our best option in right field. We know Timo's capabilities and there is not a lot there. He is a below average fielder and has absolutely no speed. He has been a poor hitter the last month also. I do not see what Ozzie sees in him.

Let's give Borchard a chance and then we can either include him in our plans or trade him for a bucket of balls. The hell with his 5.3 million dollar signing bonus. I think he deserves this chance and we deserve to see if he can play at the major league level the last month and a half.

I personally feel Borchard will not cut it but I would love to be wrong.
Prove me wrong, Joe!!!!

SoxxoS
08-10-2004, 11:25 AM
Is Joe your only son, Mr. Borchard?

jabrch
08-10-2004, 11:28 AM

That one never gets old. I love it!

That said, I kinda agree. 6 down, no 5th starter, no Maggs, no Frank - we may be out of it. Timo/Gload are not exactly the answer. I am willing to invest the time in Borch to see if he can do it. The only way to find out is to give him the MLB ABs.

Foulke You
08-10-2004, 11:28 AM
LOL! I haven't seen anything that would make me want to trot Borchard out there every day. He shows that he isn't ready for the bigs yet. Heck, he only hit .265 in AAA ball, why should we expect anything out of him at the big league level? He is only here right now because Maggs and Frank are hurt and we have nobody else to take that roster spot.

Huisj
08-10-2004, 11:30 AM
I agree. Is playing Timo and Gload and Borchard in a platoon going to gain anything at all? Neither Timo or Gload is going to help boost the team at all and make them catch Minnesota, so is there really anything to lose by playing Borchard everyday from here on out? Finally give him a legitimate shot instead of a two week trial where he plays every third day. Yeah, he hasn't done much that's impressive at all in any of he stints with the sox so far, but it seems like he's never even had a chance to play two days in a row without being set on the bench for 3 days after that. Can you really judge a player from stints like that? Let him play and find out once and for all what he is.

Frater Perdurabo
08-10-2004, 11:33 AM
If the idea is to "white flag" the 2004 season, then yes, start Borchard in right for the rest of the year. It's put up or shut up time.

If, however, they still believe they are in the race, but just can't swing a deal for hitting, then Borchard should get the opportunity anyway. We already know what Timo can do.

Unless they get a substantial bat in a trade, LTP should start.

sendimjoey
08-10-2004, 11:50 AM
thezeker, my sentiments exactly. It's not like Perez and Gload are Clemente and Aaron out there. Might as well give Borchard the opportunity -- he may even prove us all wrong and show that he's useful, or show enough to have some trade value in the offseason.

RKMeibalane
08-10-2004, 11:53 AM
Borchard has been given several chances to prove himself, and all he has done is suck. Personally, I don't care if he never plays another game in a Sox uniform. He has the better part of the past three seasons to get his act together, and he hasn't been able to do it. In fact, he's actually regressed as a player, leaving many to question whether he will even become a serviceable Major League outfielder. He'll definitely never be the star experts pegged him as.

BigEdWalsh
08-10-2004, 11:59 AM
I totally agree. Borchard should play every day and his play/stats will tell management once and for all. He's a keeper or he's not. If he is, good. If he isn't, I hope to never see him in a Sox uniform again, minor leagues included.

He's what, 25 years old? I think it's now or never.

Oh and as for the season, it's shot so we gain nothing by continuing to play the Alomars, Everett, Valentin, .....heck this list could get long, I guess some of 'em have to play. How long before the roster expands?!

sendimjoey
08-10-2004, 12:05 PM
Borchard has been given several chances to prove himself, and all he has done is suck.
I take it that by "several chances," you must mean the 16 games and 26 at-bats that Borchard had in 2002, the 16 games and 49 at-bats that he had in 2003 and the 18 games and 50 at-bats that he's had this season -- that's 50 games and 135 at-bats. Now, I agree, he hasn't lit it up in the minor leagues to an extent that I still think he can be a star, as he was touted, but he still has a chance to be a useful, cheap player (cheap meaning in future costs, not in the sunk costs of his signing bonus), and finding that out this season -- sooner -- rather than next spring -- later -- would be in the team's best interest.

Career stats for Joe Borchard: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=6849&context=batting

IlliniSox
08-10-2004, 12:14 PM
Borchard has been given several chances to prove himself, and all he has done is suck. Personally, I don't care if he never plays another game in a Sox uniform. He has the better part of the past three seasons to get his act together, and he hasn't been able to do it. In fact, he's actually regressed as a player, leaving many to question whether he will even become a serviceable Major League outfielder. He'll definitely never be the star experts pegged him as.I don't get how everyone has continued to give Crede a free pass (he of 1100+ Major League AB's now) while Borchard (135 AB's) is a bust.

Let him play.

RKMeibalane
08-10-2004, 12:17 PM
I don't get how everyone has continued to give Crede a free pass (he of 1100+ Major League AB's now) while Borchard (135 AB's) is a bust.

Let him play.
I haven't given Crede a free-pass. I happen to believe that if he doesn't get his act together by the end of the season, Williams will find a way to get rid of him (and he should).

IlliniSox
08-10-2004, 12:22 PM
I haven't given Crede a free-pass. I happen to believe that if he doesn't get his act together by the end of the season, Williams will find a way to get rid of him (and he should).
Either have I, but compared to the heat Borchard takes, you'd think Crede was performing like Blalock.

Too late to take back Olivo and give the M's Crede?

Frater Perdurabo
08-10-2004, 01:03 PM
IMHO, both Crede and Borchard deserve the rest of 2004 AND 2005 Spring Training to prove themselves. However, if rumors are true that Crede just isn't listening to Walker, then perhaps it is time to cut bait.

maurice
08-10-2004, 01:12 PM
Ozzie seems to have his mind set on starting Davis, Konerko, R. Alomar, Valentin, Uribe, Rowand, Lee, and Everett at this time. That leaves one open spot for Borchard, Perez, Gload, or Harris. Whether we're still in this or not, I prefer Borchard / Harris over Perez / Gload.

Gimm
08-10-2004, 01:14 PM
It is time to give Borchard the chance to play regularly and find out once and for all if he is in our future plans.

We can find this out next Spring Training, and then in April and May....in AAA.

Do you know how Justin Morno and Bucky Jacobsen earned their ML jobs with Minnesota and Seattle? By murdering AAA pitchers. Borchard was mediocre in AAA for the 3rd year in a row. He was grossly overmatched in the bigs every time he was up. HOW MUCH MORE DO YOU NEED TO SEE OF THIS STIFF TO GET THE MESSAGE??!!

When Sox were 1/2 a game up on the Twins a few weeks ago, wasn't this the arguement, that we'll be "fine" with Borchard and Timo in RF? This folly, this experiment helped contribute to many 1-run and 2-run losses since then, with the Sox falling to 7 games out of 1st.

I think it's time to see what Kenny Lofton/Jose Cruz/Jerry Hairston can do instead. :bandance:

Nellie_Fox
08-10-2004, 11:40 PM
Boy, I don't know what board you've been reading where "everyone" has been giving Crede a free pass, but it's certainly not this one.

Crede at least gives you some defense. I'll admit, as always, that I only get to see a few games on WGN and when they're on ESPN or FOX, but every time I've seen Borchard in the outfield, every fly ball hit his way seemed to be an adventure, with him breaking first one way, then another, then turning completely around before watching it bounce to the wall behind him.

Aidan
08-10-2004, 11:43 PM
I'd rather see Crede at 3B than Borchard in RF. The Crede/Uribe platoon at 3B is fine but the Borchard/Timo platoon in RF is unacceptable. Borchard is supposed to be a power bat and he can't even hit singles on a consistent basis. All I ever see him do is strikeout. Let him be a rarely used bat off the bench or send him to Charlotte. Put Willie in CF and move Rowand to RF. Then start Robbie Alomar at 2B everyday and continue the Crede/Uribe platoon at 3B. Then we get speed, defense, contact, and bunting ability in our lineup.

TimoPerez
08-11-2004, 12:14 AM
Based on my name, you can tell that I like Timo, but I am being totally unbiased when I say that Timo has not been himself hittingwise lately. I watched him for four years with the Mets and this is the biggest slump he has ever been in. I have literally studied everything he does, so much so that I have been called a stalker(jokingly, of course). I have memorized almost all of his statistics for his career, and based on that, I know that he is a better hitter than what he has shown lately. I even know a lot about his personal life.:offtopic: Okay, back on topic. Timo has been in a funk lately. He is definitely not the .240's hitter that he has been this year. He has looked good at the plate recently, even though his average doesn't show it. The only problem is that he is popping too many balls up in my opinion. He usually hits more line drives. I don't think he has ever had so many foulouts to the catcher in a season. He has not been striking out at all, and he is walking more than ever. Timo has never been in a long slump until now, so because of that, I expect him to break out of it quite soon. Once that happens, I think he should be platooned with Borchard. Timo will be more than servicable, and there is still enough time left in the season for him to get his average up to .280+.