PDA

View Full Version : I predicted the outburst...was it desperate or necessary?

Troupis
08-10-2004, 09:37 AM
Below is the post I posted a few days ago in which I said I thought Ozzie would get in argument to pull out the cliche moves from the bad managers book of crap. I think he's just pulling out the cliche moves and looks desperate, it's too little too late.

What do y'all think?
Was it because he genuinely thought he was right?
Was it because he was trying to energize the team?
Was it because he is just so frustrated he lost it?

#4 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=472930&postcount=4)
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 08-07-2004, 01:02 AM

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon1.gif Will Ozzie Pull Out The Cliche Move?
IN ADDITION:

Pretty soon Ozzie is going to realize that playing the Macarena in the locker room isn't going to energize the team.

I can only remember one game that Ozzie was genuinely ejected and put on a show (The Loaiza balls and strikes tirade). BUT as a new manager I expect him to try and get the fans and the team pumped up by pulling one off sometime soon in front of the home crowd. I don't know if it will work - I think at this point it will look cliche and desperate.

Oh well, I guess the Macarena in the clubhouse (and on the basepaths) will just keep on failing.

CubKilla
08-10-2004, 10:05 AM
Desperate.

There have been plenty of calls worse than last night's and Ozzie did nothing. He's a first season flop who's management style will be less seen as a first-half, first place manager as much as it will now be more whether or not he can keep the Sox over .500.

If he wanted to fire up the team, he's about 2 weeks too late.

ChiSoxBobette
08-10-2004, 10:15 AM
Desperate.

There have been plenty of calls worse than last night's and Ozzie did nothing. He's a first season flop who's management style will be less seen as a first-half, first place manager as much as it will now be more whether or not he can keep the Sox over .500.

If he wanted to fire up the team, he's about 2 weeks too late.
I unlike a few of you on this site I love the OZ , but I think he lost this team when he did nothing to Tori Hunter after Hunter clobbered Burke. Right there and then Oz should have seen he was in a war and you do whatever it takes to win the war. Although I really don't think Ozzie believed from the beginning of the year that he had the type of players to play the type of ball he wants to play. I'm hoping that next year JR & KW listen to what Ozzie wants when it comes to ballplayers because there are a few FA's out there that can help Ozzie with the direction he wants to take this team and how he wants them to play.

Frater Perdurabo
08-10-2004, 10:20 AM
I'm hoping that next year JR & KW listen to what Ozzie wants when it comes to ballplayers because there are a few FA's out there that can help Ozzie with the direction he wants to take this team and how he wants them to play.

Jose Cruz, Jr., Frank Catalanotto, Kenny Lofton...

Clarkdog
08-10-2004, 11:19 AM
Cristian Guzman

bobj4400
08-10-2004, 11:26 AM
Cruz in right, Rowand in center, Cat as a platoon option, and Guzman at SS. Lofton back in Gary where he belongs...

sendimjoey
08-10-2004, 11:32 AM
I was surprised that Guillen got tossed. I was watching the game from the upper deck, about even with first base in Section 522, so I wasn't exactly close, but Guillen didn't seem to be showing up the umpire or making a big scene. If anything, I thought Lee was going to get run for throwing his helmet. We were shocked when Guillen came back out -- that was when we realized that he had been run from the game. My friends and I were joking that he must have said the magic word that Crash Davis finally says to that umpire in "Bull Durham" to get tossed from a game.

I don't think this was premeditated in any way. I think Guillen ran out there because he saw Lee get upset and he wanted to protect his player. That's what a manager is supposed to do. Maybe Hunter Wendelstedt thinks Guillen showed up Country Joe West when he went to the mound after the Cleveland signaling mishap with the taped "R" and "L" on his pullover, courtesy of Mark Buehrle. If Wendelstedt is ticked about something like that, he should get over himself. Guillen and Buehrle were poking fun at the manager, not West.

I still haven't seen a replay. I figured it fell under the ball beats runner, runner is out category of calls. I don't like them, but I've learned to accept them. Mostly, I was just ticked off that Lee was running with the No. 2 man in the AL in home runs at the plate on a warm night when the ball was carrying. :angry:

Lip Man 1
08-10-2004, 11:36 AM
Like anyone else Ozzie has to get better on the job, that comes with experience especially for a guy who has never managed before.

But friends and neighbors if this is a problem for you then you need to ask the organization why they keep hiring G.M.'s and field managers who have never held that position before in the big leagues before coming to the Sox.

Further the way this team was constructed with as many holes as they had at the start of the year, (even before the two injuries) Earl Weaver, Walt Alston, Casey Stengel or Tony LaRussa couldn't have won with it.

'You can't go to the Kentucky Derby with donkeys...you have to have the horses.'--Ozzie Guillen Sox Fest 2004.

He's exactly correct and the Sox do not have them.

Lip

RKMeibalane
08-10-2004, 11:56 AM
'You can't go to the Kentucky Derby with donkeys...you have to have the horses.'--Ozzie Guillen Sox Fest 2004.

He's exactly correct and the Sox do not have them.

Lip
Actually, the Sox do have two horses, but they're in the stable recouperating.

:hurt :maggs

"He means us."

Nellie_Fox
08-10-2004, 11:44 PM
Cristian GuzmanYou guys would be absolutely apoplectic with Guzman on the Sox. He has never lived up to his potential, and his reputation here in Minnesota is as a guy who just mentally disappears during games.

sendimjoey
08-11-2004, 11:24 AM
You guys would be absolutely apoplectic with Guzman on the Sox. He has never lived up to his potential, and his reputation here in Minnesota is as a guy who just mentally disappears during games.
Thank you, NF. Better than I could have put it. Guzman stinks.

jordan23ventura
08-11-2004, 04:33 PM
no, maybe, and no