PDA

View Full Version : Wendelstedt to Ozzie: "You dont know what you are doing."

bobj4400
08-10-2004, 10:09 AM
According to Ozzie in an interview with George Ofman...

bobj4400
08-10-2004, 10:10 AM
Sounds like Ozzie is going to file a complaint with MLB b/c of the 'unprofessional' behavior shown by Wendelstedt.

soxrme
08-10-2004, 10:14 AM
Maybe he meant leaving in another pitcher who gives up 7 runs early and takes the team out of the game:angry:

thepaulbowski
08-10-2004, 10:29 AM
Sounds like Ozzie is going to file a complaint with MLB b/c of the 'unprofessional' behavior shown by Wendelstedt.
Wendelstedt wasn't even close to being in position to make that call, what the hell was the guy doing? He definetly fell asleep on the job on that play.

SoxxoS
08-10-2004, 10:31 AM
Wendelstadt obviousy does, as he was in great position on that Carlos Lee stolen base.

samram
08-10-2004, 11:27 AM
Wendelstadt obviousy does, as he was in great position on that Carlos Lee stolen base.

Oh, come on. Don't they teach these guys at umpire school to stand where the runner blocks their view of the tag? That was textbook umpiring by a man who, I'm sure, had no help getting to the big leagues because of his name.

Viva Magglio
08-10-2004, 11:45 AM
The kind of job Ozzie is doing is one thing (I think Ozzie is okay so far), but Wendelstedt was completely out of line for telling Ozzie that. That's not the umpire's job.

Clarkdog
08-10-2004, 12:09 PM
Hi Pot? This is Kettle. You're black.

TornLabrum
08-10-2004, 12:12 PM
Hi Pot? This is Kettle. You're black.
Be careful. You might be labeled by some here as a racist for saying that.

Cubbiesuck13
08-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Be careful. You might be labeled by some here as a racist for saying that.

Or someone who gets his material from 'Friends'. I am not sure which is worse.

Lip Man 1
08-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Soxre:

And who were his other options? Cotts....Adkins...PLEASE.

Lip

Cubbiesuck13
08-10-2004, 12:38 PM
So is it better to leave in Diaz or any pitcher that gets rocked early to save the bullpen? Or is it better to get him out of there and burn up the bullpen in hopes they can stop the bleading while we still have many innings to play? Usually I like what the Oz does and lets the pitcher settle down, usually they end up pitching very well after the 'big inning (s)' and they save a few pitchers for the next day.

RKMeibalane
08-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Maybe Wendelstedt should think about the fact that he only has a job because of his father before he tries to criticize someone else. I'm really starting to wonder about some of the younger umpires. There are a few good ones, but the others always seem to be on a power trip. I don't understand it. It is the umpire's responsibility to call the game, not provoke fights with players and coaches.

Brian26
08-10-2004, 01:47 PM
Did he mean "you dont know what you're doing" as a manager or in the context of arguiing with him (i.e. "You don't know what you're doing by arguiing with me- I'm gonna screw you on every close call the next series I work w/ you").

Brian26
08-10-2004, 01:47 PM
Did he mean "you dont know what you're doing" as a manager or in the context of arguiing with him (i.e. "You don't know what you're doing by arguiing with me- I'm gonna screw you on every close call the next series I work w/ you").

I guess either way Wendlestadt was out of line.

bobj4400
08-10-2004, 01:49 PM
From Ozzie's comments in the interview, he took it to mean that he didnt know what he was doing as a manager. If that is what he meant, he was WAY out of line...

Brian26
08-10-2004, 01:51 PM
From Ozzie's comments in the interview, he took it to mean that he didnt know what he was doing as a manager. If that is what he meant, he was WAY out of line...

Man, what a dueche. Hawk was all over him last night too.

:hawk

"Playing Mr. Hardnose. That's BS"

Seems like they're is some history there.

ma_deuce
08-10-2004, 02:47 PM
Last time I checked, you have to tag the runner before he tags the bases to get him out. As Carlos was clearly on the base and Wendelstedt could not have seen the tag from his position (especially since he wasn't tagged at all before taking second base), Carlos was safe. Don't see the tag, you error on the side of the runner. Wendelstedt made the wrong call both ways.

Jamieboy
08-10-2004, 06:09 PM
You know whats funny?, The ump was right. Guillen's use of the rotation, bullpen, and his many lineup changes have been baffling. I know he's a rookie manager, I know his bench coach is a rook too, but man, if Marte or Shingo aren't coming into the game, I don't want to know who Ozzie picks. Ozzie went with his gut sunday with Marte in the 9th over Shingo who blew his first save Saturday, yea, Marte gave up the game. It'll be interesting the rest of the season some of Guillen's moves. Will Crede regain his starting spot, will Borchard get consecutive starts. Will enthusiam over his major lack of coaching experience mean our team pulls it out? Boy, makes me wonder, I wanted Cito Gasten back in the offseason.

BarbG
08-10-2004, 06:15 PM
Last time I checked, you have to tag the runner before he tags the bases to get him out. As Carlos was clearly on the base and Wendelstedt could not have seen the tag from his position (especially since he wasn't tagged at all before taking second base), Carlos was safe. Don't see the tag, you error on the side of the runner. Wendelstedt made the wrong call both ways.

AMEN!!!

And there's way too much of that going around this season. The umpiring has been beyond terrible.

Wasn't there a time when umpires were required to be able to.....SEE???

hellenicsoxfan
08-10-2004, 07:40 PM
AMEN!!!

And there's way too much of that going around this season. The umpiring has been beyond terrible.

Wasn't there a time when umpires were required to be able to.....SEE???I'm also tired of seeing umpires get calls wrong because they are too lazy to get in position to make correct calls. How many times have they refused to run toward the outfield and gotten home run calls wrong. I can remember twice in one game. Or not gotten themselves into proper position for a call at a base. Considering that they all get vacations during the season, there is no excuse for this laziness.

flo-B-flo
08-10-2004, 10:34 PM
The kind of job Ozzie is doing is one thing (I think Ozzie is okay so far), but Wendelstedt was completely out of line for telling Ozzie that. That's not the umpire's job. This is what I say. Some of these a$#&*#@* stick their 2 cents in when it's not needed while they blow calls. Others badger players and managers into confrontations. Wasn't this guys dad a pretty good umpire?