PDA

View Full Version : Salvaging the season

Gimm
08-10-2004, 12:33 AM
1. Lofton and Cruz, Jr.

Get one, or if possible both. For cheap. At this point, I do not believe Sox will bother with Delgado even if he were available. Send Gload and Borchard down to make room. Put Sandy on DL, recall Burke.

2. Move Diaz to the pen. Release Jackson. When Schoeneweis comes back in 8 days, put him in the pen as well. Call-up Wunsch.

3. With bullpen consisting of Shingo-Marte-Wunsch-Politte-Schoeneweiss-Cotts-Diaz-Adkins, switch to a 4-man rotation mode, with a hard 100-pitch count limit imposed.

Shoeneweis-Diaz-Cotts-Adkins are long relief corps backing up the starters, and Shingo-Marte-Wunsch-Politte are your "key" relievers, with the latter 2 being matched-up with LH and RH.

4. Pray the super-sparkplug Shannon Stewart re-aggravates his injury and the Twinkie team stops over-achieving for once. We'll need it.

mcfish
08-10-2004, 01:08 AM
5. Replace this team with a good one.

Gimm
08-10-2004, 01:09 AM
5. Stop ****ing bunting and running us out of innings, Ozzie. Especially at USCF. Rowand and Willie are the only ones who should be stealing, and Robbie is the only one who should be bunting.

mcfish
08-10-2004, 01:10 AM
5. Stop ****ing bunting and running us out of innings, Ozzie. Especially at USCF. Rowand and Willie are the only ones who should be stealing, and Robbie is the only ones who should be bunting.Timo can bunt too. He's pretty good at it. The rest of the team should spend some time and frickin' learn, because it shouldn't be that hard to lay down a damn bunt.

nitetrain8601
08-10-2004, 01:11 AM
Wunsch will never be brought up. KW has something against him for some reason. I've thought we needed him all season long, but both KW's hate each other from what I hear.

Gimm
08-10-2004, 01:19 AM
Timo can bunt too. He's pretty good at it.
He shouldn't be in the line-up, so he doesn't count.

jordan23ventura
08-10-2004, 01:28 AM
1. Lofton and Cruz, Jr.

Get one, or if possible both. For cheap. At this point, I do not believe Sox will bother with Delgado even if he were available. Send Gload and Borchard down to make room. Put Sandy on DL, recall Burke.

2. Move Diaz to the pen. Release Jackson. When Schoeneweis comes back in 8 days, put him in the pen as well. Call-up Wunsch.

3. With bullpen consisting of Shingo-Marte-Wunsch-Politte-Schoeneweiss-Cotts-Diaz-Adkins, switch to a 4-man rotation mode, with a hard 100-pitch count limit imposed.

Shoeneweis-Diaz-Cotts-Adkins are long relief corps backing up the starters, and Shingo-Marte-Wunsch-Politte are your "key" relievers, with the latter 2 being matched-up with LH and RH.

4. Pray the super-sparkplug Shannon Stewart re-aggravates his injury and the Twinkie team stops over-achieving for once. We'll need it.
How about just releasing Jackson, find a No. 5 guy and stick with him no matter what, don't pick up anyone else off waivers unless he's going to the bullpen, and play with some heart?

There is nothing this team can do at this point besides win. I don;t care what anyone says, KW went out and did his job, making trades that have only helped the Sox be better now and in the future. JR has given KW the flexibility to sign a couple guys who didn't want to come here. The only thing this team can do is play "Minnesota ball." I hate to say this, but those guys don't give up. Today's game and yesterdays game are hopefully the start of something different. If the Sox lose again this year but play their hearts out, then I'll be happy and I won't feel disappointed. If they pack it in and go home, I will. Let's just see what these guys can do.

Gimm
08-10-2004, 01:31 AM
RHP

Lofton CF
Robbie 3B
Lee LF
Konerko 1B
Everett DH
Valentin SS
Cruz/Rowand RF
Davis C
Willie 2B

LHP

Rowand CF
Cruz RF
Lee LF
Konerko 1B
Everett DH
Uribe/Crede 3B
Robbie 2B
Burke C
Valentin SS

Carl Everett has to start producing like he was with Texas last April and May for the line-up to work.

jordan23ventura
08-10-2004, 01:35 AM
He shouldn't be in the line-up, so he doesn't count.
How can you say that? He's a role player and he tries. He's not Beltran, he's not Pujols, he's not Crawford. He's Timo Perez and he's damn good coming off the bench and doing his best. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen this guy pack it in all year. He's had some clutch HR's and for the most part done what's expected of him. He's not an everyday player, but neither is Borchard. Neither is Gload, neither is Burke or Sandy or at times even Uribe or Willie. We have what we have, and we can't expect them to hit .350 and take walks up the wazoo. It appears to me that people here expect to see this team pick it up and go on a run, but it's not going to happen. If we've learned anything this year, it's that you can't build a team around 2 players, because if they go down, so does the team.

Gimm
08-10-2004, 01:46 AM
How about just releasing Jackson, find a No. 5 guy and stick with him no matter what, don't pick up anyone else off waivers unless he's going to the bullpenNo. Not enough. If we were 3 games up, maybe I could see it. But we are 6 games behind with only a 1/3 of the season left. Gonna have to play some dominant-ass ball.

Can't pick up 5th starter - look what Phillies gave up for worthless Corey Lidle. We need hitting more than anything, and hitting is cheaper than pitching at this point.

There is nothing this team can do at this point besides win. Except all this team is doing is losing maddeningly close ballgames. Out of our last 10 losses, 9 were either of 1-run or 2-run variety. All winnable as hell.

I don't care what anyone says, KW went out and did his job, making trades that have only helped the Sox be better now and in the future .

He overestimated our young "talent" coming into the season and could not build the necessary depth needed to absorb injuries and busts. He didn't get us more offense when Frank and Maggs went down. He must rectified the huge hitting problem now, or by the end of the week, we might very be OUT of it altogether.

JR has given KW the flexibility to sign a couple guys who didn't want to come here. How do you know that? KW told you? For all I know, we're 7 Mill overbudget and JR has all but conceded the season. Don't believe what you hear.

The only thing this team can do is play "Minnesota ball." Get me Lofton. Get me Cruz, Jr. I'll show you what winning baseball is all about.

I hate to say this, but those guys don't give up.Neither do we. Unfortunately, we have Gload, Timo, Crede, Borchard and Sandy the Sage in the line-up, and Jackson and Cotts in the pen. Diaz, Shoeneweis, Wright and Munoz in the starting rotation. Hard to win with THAT collection of suck.

Today's game and yesterdays game are hopefully the start of something different.
Yes....hopefully a 4-man rotation. That actually works.

Gimm
08-10-2004, 01:49 AM
How can you say that? He's a role player and he tries. He's not Beltran, he's not Pujols, he's not Crawford. He's Timo Perez and he's damn good coming off the bench and doing his best. Please correct me if I'm wrong, .You're wrong - he's cost us many runs with his showboatin' and lollygaggin' both in CF and RF, the most recent example being the "triple" on Sunday that almost cost us the game. He also didn't run grounders out earlier in the year when he wasn't getting playing time because of Maggs.

And he has a 620 OPS. Him and Borchard should never be in the starting line-up again.

nitetrain8601
08-10-2004, 02:07 AM
I disagree. I think Timo has done his job. Has he made mistakes? Sure, but so has this whole team. To Blame KW is also another stupid move. It has already been said that Walker and Delgado have rejected trades here. He got us Contreras. He's gotten Robbie. He's gotten Everett and Garcia. The only thing left is to trade Lee and Konerko and you basically have a new complete team. To blame K-dub on this year is mere stupidity and you're just looking for a scapegoat.

jordan23ventura
08-10-2004, 03:12 AM
I disagree. I think Timo has done his job. Has he made mistakes? Sure, but so has this whole team. To Blame KW is also another stupid move. It has already been said that Walker and Delgado have rejected trades here. He got us Contreras. He's gotten Robbie. He's gotten Everett and Garcia. The only thing left is to trade Lee and Konerko and you basically have a new complete team. To blame K-dub on this year is mere stupidity and you're just looking for a scapegoat.
And I completely agree with you.

OEO Magglio
08-10-2004, 03:15 AM
Timo is a great bench player, he's come up with some of the most clutch hits for the sox this year. He's just not a starter.

jordan23ventura
08-10-2004, 03:28 AM
No. Not enough. If we were 3 games up, maybe I could see it. But we are 6 games behind with only a 1/3 of the season left. Gonna have to play some dominant-ass ball... Get me Lofton. Get me Cruz, Jr. I'll show you what winning baseball is all about.

This team, for all purposes, is done. They are going to have to show more over the rest of the season than they have all year in order to finish within 2-3 games of the Twins, let alone beat them. I have nothing against Cruz Jr or Lofton, but come on. If this team were an engine to a car, it would have to be rebuilt. A few extra parts from the junkyard isn't going to do anymore than help patch things up a little.

Can't pick up 5th starter - look what Phillies gave up for worthless Corey Lidle. We need hitting more than anything, and hitting is cheaper than pitching at this point.

I never said pick up anybody. I was referring to our own guys. If we need a 5th guy, bring someone up and keep him there. This merry-go-round isn't doing anybody any favors.

Except all this team is doing is losing maddeningly close ballgames. Out of our last 10 losses, 9 were either of 1-run or 2-run variety. All winnable as hell.

Yes, but you can't tell me that the team we have right now is incapable of scoring a run or two more per game. They're all slumping, and they aren't that great to begin with, but these losses fall on the players this time.

He overestimated our young "talent" coming into the season and could not build the necessary depth needed to absorb injuries and busts. He didn't get us more offense when Frank and Maggs went down. He must rectified the huge hitting problem now, or by the end of the week, we might very be OUT of it altogether.

Ok, world's greatest GM: what would you have done with that payroll?

How do you know that? KW told you? For all I know, we're 7 Mill overbudget and JR has all but conceded the season. Don't believe what you hear.

And how do you know JR didn't give KW the green light to make a couple trades if he wanted to? Just because JR isn't winning any popularity contests doesn't mean he wants his investment to fail.

Neither do we. Unfortunately, we have Gload, Timo, Crede, Borchard and Sandy the Sage in the line-up, and Jackson and Cotts in the pen. Diaz, Shoeneweis, Wright and Munoz in the starting rotation. Hard to win with THAT collection of suck.

Wright and Schoe are done. Hopefully Jackson gets released. Timo and Gload are role players and they do a good job, but they aren't everyday starters.

It should, if need be.

Gimm
08-10-2004, 02:49 PM
This team, for all purposes, is done.
.Just as we were going to the World Series 5 weeks ago, now we're done. Uh-huh.

They are going to have to show more over the rest of the season than they have all year in order to finish within 2-3 games of the Twins, let alone beat them. Disagree. All they have to do is get Lofton/Hairston and Cruz, thus beefing up defense and much-needed OBP/speed top-of-the-order; taking pressure off Robbie and Rowand and hopefully allowing Lee, Konerko and Everett to come to the plate with runners on. Plus, Uribe and Valentin are starting to smoke the ball -- big hits AND hard-hit outs as opposed to pathetic swings during their horrible July slumps -- so you should get a little more out of the bottom of the order as well, turning the line-up over to.....Burke/Davis, Lofton/Rowand, Robbie/Cruz. Way less holes, line-up clicking and so many of those 1-run and 2-run LOSSES Sox been losing in bunches lately become 1-run, 2-run WINS. Twin lead shrinks in the next 6 weeks before the final show-down in Minnesota for all the marbles.

I have nothing against Cruz Jr or Lofton, but come on. .
Come on what? Lofton is usually an OBP machine down the stretch. He can still run and defend. Cruz crushes LHP, has speed and plays GG defense in RF. As one of the better fastball hits in AL, who knows, in front of Lee, Konerko and Everett, he might just start crushing RHP as well. Most importantly....no more Timo and Borchard in the line-up.

Again, when you lose 1-run and 2-run games....those two players can provide a suprsingly awesome boost. Just ask the Cubs fans.

I never said pick up anybody. I was referring to our own guys. If we need a 5th guy, Stewart is bad. Diaz chokes. Schoeneweiss is bad as a starter. Sorry, can't do.

And how do you know JR didn't give KW the green light to make a couple trades if he wanted to? Just because JR isn't winning any popularity contests doesn't mean he wants his investment to fail.He's proven to be a cheap, lying bastard with his ACTIONS over the decades. The OD payroll of only 50 Mill in 2003, the year Sox were hosting the ASG and the year that marked the anniversary of 1983 and 1993 squads dear to every Sox fan's heart.....should tell you anything you ever want to know abour JR's utter worthlessness as an owner.

It's easy to SAY they seriously pursued Larry Walker and Delgado. It's easy to SAY they seriously incquired about Randy Johnson. Reality is something else altogether. Don't get fooled by their PR tricks.

It should, if need be
Need BE??!! What the **** do you call a 3-11 record we got from our 5th starter composite? What the **** to you call a 6 game deficit with only 1/3 of the season left?

The urgency factor is at '11' on the Spinal Tap scale.

Gimm
08-10-2004, 03:46 PM
If you're the Yankees, Baltimore and TB, what would you want for Lofton, Hairston and/or Cruz?

habibharu
08-10-2004, 06:04 PM
1. Lofton and Cruz, Jr.

4. Pray the super-sparkplug Shannon Stewart re-aggravates his injury and the Twinkie team stops over-achieving for once. We'll need it. yeah lets go get lofton so he can help us underachieve once again!

Gimm
08-10-2004, 06:19 PM
yeah lets go get lofton so he can help us underachieve once again!
Oh ya, that .400 OBP/450 Slug/driving a pitcher insane with foul balls and basesrunning thing he usually does down the stretch....and the fact that Rowand/Robbie will be more effective in the 2-hole.......all that will surely help us underachieve even more.

Afterall, we have so much to lose at this point. :rolleyes: