PDA

View Full Version : This Day In Sox History 8/9

Lip Man 1
08-09-2004, 09:42 PM
August 9, 1964- The Sox split a home double header with the Red Sox dropping the opener 6-3 then coming back to take the nightcap 4-1. Johnny Buzhardt started game one, with Gary Peters going in game two. The Sox record stood at 67-44 and they trailed the first place Orioles by a game and a half.

August 9, 1994- The Sox lost a 4-2 game at Oakland when the A's scored three times in the 8th inning. Ruben Sierra had the big blow, a two run home run off Wilson Alvarez. Alvarez's record dropped to 12-8. The Sox record stood at 66-46 and they led Cleveland in the Central Division by one game with the threat of a labor strike looming in just 48 hours.

Lip

BigEdWalsh
08-09-2004, 10:57 PM
August 9, 1964- The Sox split a home double header with the Red Sox dropping the opener 6-3 then coming back to take the nightcap 4-1. Johnny Buzhardt started game one, with Gary Peters going in game two. The Sox record stood at 67-44 and they trailed the first place Orioles by a game and a half.

August 9, 1994- The Sox lost a 4-2 game at Oakland when the A's scored three times in the 8th inning. Ruben Sierra had the big blow, a two run home run off Wilson Alvarez. Alvarez's record dropped to 12-8. The Sox record stood at 66-46 and they led Cleveland in the Central Division by one game with the threat of a labor strike looming in just 48 hours.

Lip
August 9, 2004- Sox started young Felix Diaz. He stunk the place up and got the Sox off to a 8-0 deficit. Backed by slumping Jose Valentin's 2 homers they fought to come back and trail 9-8 going to the 9th. Reliever Cliff Politte gave up 4 runs, the final one coming in on has-been Mike Jackson's balk. The Sox got 3 in the bottom of the 9th and had a couple on base with Valentin representing the winning run at the plate. He popped out. Game over.
The Sox would go on to win their next 14 games and recaptured 1st place, going on to eventually win their first World Series in nearly a century.

jordan23ventura
08-09-2004, 11:05 PM
August 9, 2004- Sox started young Felix Diaz. He stunk the place up and got the Sox off to a 8-0 deficit. Backed by slumping Jose Valentin's 2 homers they fought to come back and trail 9-8 going to the 9th. Reliever Cliff Politte gave up 4 runs, the final one coming in on has-been Mike Jackson's balk. The Sox got 3 in the bottom of the 9th and had a couple on base with Valentin representing the winning run at the plate. He popped out. Game over.
The Sox would go on to win their next 14 games and recaptured 1st place, going on to eventually win their first World Series in nearly a century.Wouldn't it be funny if everytime Mike Jackson came to the mound they played "we are the champions?"

I think it's funny anyway.

*EDIT: You're a winner, Mike. A real winner.

RKMeibalane
08-09-2004, 11:14 PM
August 9, 2000: The Sox defeated the Seattle Mariners by the score of 19-3. Frank Thomas led a balanced offensive attack, going 3-4 with two home runs and five RBIs. Magglio Ordonez added four hits of his own, as the Sox pounded Seattle starter Jamie Moyer.

:hurt

:whiner::whiner::whiner:

RKMeibalane
08-09-2004, 11:15 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if everytime Mike Jackson came to the mound they played "we are the champions?"

I think it's funny anyway.

*EDIT: You're a winner, Mike. A real winner.
I'm waiting for the fans to start chanting "M-V-P!" whenever he makes an appearance. The man sucks. He absolutely sucks.

Baby Fisk
08-10-2004, 07:50 AM
That was a pretty marginal balk. Still, the man's Charlie Brown, get rid of him! :angry:

zach23
08-10-2004, 09:46 AM
August 9, 2000: The Sox defeated the Seattle Mariners by the score of 19-3. Frank Thomas led a balanced offensive attack, going 3-4 with two home runs and five RBIs. Magglio Ordonez added four hits of his own, as the Sox pounded Seattle starter Jamie Moyer.

:hurt

:whiner::whiner::whiner:

At least that year I enjoyed the game on my birthday. They didn't give me much of a gift when I was out there last night.