PDA

View Full Version : Hawk on Pitching Inside

DrummerGeorgefan
08-09-2004, 09:22 PM
Watching the first few innings of the game, I can't help but agree with Hawk's assessment that Sox pitchers don't move their pitches around the plate, mainly inside. Diaz gave up two HRs without even moving a guy back from the plate. I have yet to see any of our pitchers really get a guy to hit the dirt.

I think that just shows the lack of aggressiveness in our pitching staff. I know Mark is not a pitcher like that, but I am sure Freddy and Jose know how to make a guy dance.

Coop needs to get these guys to throw inside, or they will leave things over the plate for years to come.

Thoughts?

Evman5
08-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Watching the first few innings of the game, I can't help but agree with Hawk's assessment that Sox pitchers don't move their pitches around the plate, mainly inside. Diaz gave up two HRs without even moving a guy back from the plate. I have yet to see any of our pitchers really get a guy to hit the dirt.

I think that just shows the lack of aggressiveness in our pitching staff. I know Mark is not a pitcher like that, but I am sure Freddy and Jose know how to make a guy dance.

Coop needs to get these guys to throw inside, or they will leave things over the plate for years to come.

Thoughts?
I agree somewhat, except that Mark, Freddy and Jose all know what they are doing, because they are experienced pitchers. I think it is more important for Diaz to have a gameplan as they were saying. He doesn't seem like he has an idea where he is going to throw the ball.

BTW his performance tonite :anon: :anon:

SoxyStu
08-09-2004, 09:37 PM
I'm probably not the only one who saw the interview with Coop a few weeks ago in Oakland, I think. Coop was preaching about pitching inside and trying to get the gang to do it. I agree with you, they haven't done it, at least not effectively.

Soon after, if I remember correctly, Garland said something in the papers that he wasn't going to change his pitching. Maybe he won't be gracing us with his presence on the mound next season.

RKMeibalane
08-09-2004, 09:47 PM
I'm probably not the only one who saw the interview with Coop a few weeks ago in Oakland, I think. Coop was preaching about pitching inside and trying to get the gang to do it. I agree with you, they haven't done it, at least not effectively.

Soon after, if I remember correctly, Garland said something in the papers that he wasn't going to change his pitching. Maybe he won't be gracing us with his presence on the mound next season.
Welcome aboard! As far as Garland is concerned, I really he needs to be careful about what he says and does for the remainder of the season. IMO, he's already on thin ice because of the way he's pitched recently. Comments like that are inappropriate, especially coming from someone who has yet to live up to his potential. Garland has a lot of talent, but unless he starts to use it on a regular basis, he's going to find out that he's not as important to this team as he thinks he is. Williams can find several other pitches who can post 12-14 records each season.

jeremyb1
08-09-2004, 10:04 PM

I think you're talking about one of several hundred articles over the past few seasons addressing Garland's lack of fire, his percieved lack of killer instinct, and his laid back "California attitude". Garland said (also for the millionth time) that despite the way it may appear he does not lack intensity on the mound and hence does not plan to change his mental approach to the game.

I know you were just recalling the situation as best your memory allowed but in the future if you can provide a link that's helpful because if someone misinterprets or incorrectly recalls information, as you can tell by RK's post, people tend to get carried away.

John Barrett
08-09-2004, 10:19 PM
all would be fine if Garland could walk the talk .. i am tired of him trying to develop in the major leagues. maybe it's time he does change his approach... as his "california attitude" is boorish and certainly not working for him

SoxyStu
08-09-2004, 10:21 PM
I actually did find the article. I agree that you are right, that he was probably addresssing his lack of emotion, but if you look at the article, his quote is directly under Ozzie's criticisms of Garland not being aggressive with the plate.

The link:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-toni26.html

I took the bait on that one.

OG4LIFE
08-09-2004, 10:24 PM
garland has his knocks, but i do think he's got at least some fire. i remember jon throwing a borderline fit once last year when JM yanked him early. jon was pitching a gem of a game and got yanked early in the seventh, the next they showed him throwing his glove in the dugout and buerhle trying to calm him down.

fire or crybaby, i dont know, but it at least shows hes got some kind of emotion.

anyone else remember this?