PDA

View Full Version : What renovations do you want?

joeynach
08-09-2004, 02:57 PM
Which rumored renovation would you most like to see the sox make for 2005?

ChiWhiteSox1337
08-09-2004, 03:00 PM
the ud/home run porch in right field looked the coolest.

*waits for the first "spend the money on players" post*

Baby Fisk
08-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Where's the much-promised ferris wheel?

HomeFish
08-09-2004, 03:01 PM
I honestly think the park is fine as it is now.

While I will not mind FUNdamentals and think it might even be sorta cool, I am firmly opposed to green seats or to any more brick. They have that at the other ballpark; why would we want to have anything they have up there?

Come to think of it, though, a home-run porch in RF (assuming that FUNdamentals is built) would balance out the concourse and make the park more symetrical.

MRKARNO
08-09-2004, 03:02 PM
I think that a Grand Entrance would be pretty cool. I know at the two parks I've been to that have them (SF and ANA) that they add a sort of coming together of all of the fans before the game starts.

Tekijawa
08-09-2004, 03:07 PM
I want my own personal Supermodel Nacho vendor.

joeynach
08-09-2004, 03:10 PM
I honestly think the park is fine as it is now.

While I will not mind FUNdamentals and think it might even be sorta cool, I am firmly opposed to green seats or to any more brick. They have that at the other ballpark; why would we want to have anything they have up there?

Come to think of it, though, a home-run porch in RF (assuming that FUNdamentals is built) would balance out the concourse and make the park more symetrical.
I agree i think the fundamentals thing will be sort of cool. Esepecially if its open to everyone during the game as a hang out place that has great views. The insruction is over when its game time. While some places would have opted to build a hooters or bar up there with that view we choose to make something for the kids, i like it. But i would like to see the grand entrance built to provide the coming together and have a main hangout place. It would be great to have sox themed resturant and pub that is open all year round and both pre and post game. AS well as a sox hall of fame for haning out in during rain delays. It would add another step in the coming together feeling of the sox pride campaign, as well become one giant supporting family.

Rocky Soprano
08-09-2004, 03:12 PM
1. A new owner

2. A World Series Caliber Team

Oh you meant from the options up top? :D:

skobabe8
08-09-2004, 03:15 PM
I agree i think the fundamentals thing will be sort of cool. Esepecially if its open to everyone during the game as a hang out place that has great views. The insruction is over when its game time. While some places would have opted to build a hooters or bar up there with that view we choose to make something for the kids, i like it. But i would like to see the grand entrance built to provide the coming together and have a main hangout place. It would be great to have sox themed resturant and pub that is open all year round and both pre and post game. AS well as a sox hall of fame for haning out in during rain delays. It would add another step in the coming together feeling of the sox pride campaign, as well become one giant supporting family.
I agree with joeynach. Theres no reason that just because the fundamentals is going in left doesnt mean that a grand entrance can be built there as well. If there were an option for 'all of the above', i would have voted for that b/c all of those ideas are good ones, IMO.

PorkChopExpress
08-09-2004, 03:30 PM
While some places would have opted to build a hooters or bar up there with that view we choose to make something for the kids, i like it.
I loved Hooters when I was a kid. That being said, I like seeing all of the changes. I don't think anything they've done yet has been bad, and it's been fun to see something new each year rather than have the same ballpark year in and year out. However, as we can only vote for one of the above, I will say filling in the umpires tunnel. I want to see fans behind home plate on TV, and I would love to somehow score those tickets for a game.

maurice
08-09-2004, 03:45 PM
The Grand Entrance would tie in nicely with the redevelopment of 35th St., which would help attendance far more than any further interior renovations. The new loft condo complex on 35th / Morgan looks great, and they just broke ground on the condo complex at 35th / Halsted.

mantis1212
08-09-2004, 03:47 PM
I think we really need a grand entrance in left. For fans taking the red line in, its really a pain to get in and out of the park.

In fact, for fans closing out the bullpen bar and taking the el home, they want you to walk ALL THE WAY around the park. Its really silly because I asked about walking through the other way, the guard manning the bullpen bar exit was like "Oh, you don't want to walk through there, its dangerous":rolleyes:
Come on, sox security themselves are saying this? So we went through, and saw a FEMALE guard walking through there by herself.

Anyway, I think all this ties in to having fun around the park after the game. It doesn't need to be a freaking zoo like Wrigleyville, but some reason to stick around after the game

Erik The Red
08-09-2004, 03:51 PM
What exactly is a "grand entrance"? Is it like another entrance that goes directly onto the concourse?

joeynach
08-09-2004, 03:57 PM
What exactly is a "grand entrance"? Is it like another entrance that goes directly onto the concourse?
It is an entire building attached to the stadium that feeds into the concourses. It would be where the players parking lot is now beyond left field in the corner. It would be a multi-level facilty with the roof (outdoor patio area) basically as high as the entrance to the UD where there are views of both the skyline and playing field. There would be a resturants, shops, hall of fame, pubs and stuff inside all with of course heavy sox theme. And it could be open year round. It would serve as main entracne to the park with access to all levels and could reduce the need for those exterior ramps. It would be cool.

Erik The Red
08-09-2004, 04:00 PM
Wow, I rather like that idea.

he_gone_89
08-09-2004, 06:09 PM
1. A new owner

2. A World Series Caliber Team

Oh you meant from the options up top? :D:
along with a winning team and a money-spending owner

we should have a better "tribute" to old comiskey than the parking plate

so,they should install a home run porch and green seats

soxnut
08-09-2004, 09:43 PM
I voted for the grand entrance. I think that is part of what a world class ballpark should have. I would actually have voted for all of the above. Let's say that the home-run porch is built, since that is what most people have voted for so far, I'd think there would still be money left over to do some of the other things as well. There's got to be at least over 10 mil left and I don't think that the Fundamentals and a home-run porch would gobble up all of that--at least I hope not.

jordan23ventura
08-09-2004, 10:20 PM
We need an ocean behind the field like at Pac Bell. Maybe a lake would work. Just destroy everything in the general area and expand Lake Michigan out behind the field. If I was a tyrannical leader, that's exactly what I would do.

Lip Man 1
08-09-2004, 10:24 PM
New ownership...
Lip

Parrothead
08-09-2004, 10:29 PM
To what and how would the unused boxes be converted? The idea sounds interesting though.:dunno: Are there any pictures of the choices suggested here?

chisoxfan79
08-09-2004, 10:34 PM
How about moving the fences back the way they were.

FightingBillini
08-10-2004, 01:09 AM
I would have voted for all of the above. I think I am the only one who has been preaching about a grand entrance on 35th and Shields. We need to redo the entrance in LF, no doubt, but I would LOVE to see a grand entrance behind home plate modeled after the one at old Comiskey. To me, one of the worst parts of the park (besides the ramps) is that the main entrance behind home plate is only for the team offices. I have heard they are moving them, so they should make it a public entrance.

pinwheels3530
08-10-2004, 08:10 AM
First of all I don't think there is enough money left to build a grand entrance building in left field ( gate 6 ) unfortunately, but if they had the money and I were in charge of renovations I would .......

1. build the grand entrance in left field along with the fundamentals kid area

2. build a couple of restaurants, bars and shops that are attached to the park along 35th st. where the current offices are and move those to the grand entrance building like originally planned.

3. build a hooters at the gate 3 entrance where the current fundamentals is currently located.

4. fill the umpire tunnel with seats like old comiskey.

5. if a home run porch can't be build I would at least take down some of the billboards and build more fan decks in there place (they wouldn't be over the concourse but pushed back just a little further )

6...and of course the forest green seats!!!

PorkChopExpress
08-10-2004, 08:56 AM
We need an ocean behind the field like at Pac Bell. Maybe a lake would work. Just destroy everything in the general area and expand Lake Michigan out behind the field. If I was a tyrannical leader, that's exactly what I would do.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Sell the Cell for whatever, and build a new park on old Miegs Field. Home runs over the wall into the lake, views of the skyline. It would be great. Not gonna happen though.

soxnut
08-10-2004, 08:56 AM
I would have voted for all of the above. I think I am the only one who has been preaching about a grand entrance on 35th and Shields. We need to redo the entrance in LF, no doubt, but I would LOVE to see a grand entrance behind home plate modeled after the one at old Comiskey. To me, one of the worst parts of the park (besides the ramps) is that the main entrance behind home plate is only for the team offices. I have heard they are moving them, so they should make it a public entrance.
Hey, you're not the only one who thinks a grand entrance is important. I think that's what makes a world class ballpark nowadays. There needs to be some type of gathering area, indoor area, especially for those who get to the ballgame early and are waiting for the gates to open.

It's ridiculous that right now, when fans are waiting to get inside gates 3-4 that half of them are standing in line in the parking lot, and then have to be told to move out of the way of cars and other things.

Hopefully the grand entrance is still part of the plans. I just wish they would announce something soon. They said that they would be announcing things over the course of the summer. So far, only the fundamentals area has been announced, and the summer is almost over.

Maybe they're waiting for september when the Sox are officially out of the race, and then they'll announce, giving us something to look forward to?

As for the seat color, I think I'd like to see it in the green that they are using on the wall padding. Or a slightly darker version of the Old Comiskey seats.

pinwheels3530
08-10-2004, 09:10 AM
Hey, you're not the only one who thinks a grand entrance is important. I think that's what makes a world class ballpark nowadays. There needs to be some type of gathering area, indoor area, especially for those who get to the ballgame early and are waiting for the gates to open.

It's ridiculous that right now, when fans are waiting to get inside gates 3-4 that half of them are standing in line in the parking lot, and then have to be told to move out of the way of cars and other things.

Hopefully the grand entrance is still part of the plans. I just wish they would announce something soon. They said that they would be announcing things over the course of the summer. So far, only the fundamentals area has been announced, and the summer is almost over.

Maybe they're waiting for september when the Sox are officially out of the race, and then they'll announce, giving us something to look forward to?

As for the seat color, I think I'd like to see it in the green that they are using on the wall padding. Or a slightly darker version of the Old Comiskey seats.

With the money that is left I think the only other renovations that will be announce will be green seats, so I am not getting my hopes up for any other big plans.

soxnut
08-10-2004, 09:25 AM
With the money that is left I think the only other renovations that will be announce will be green seats, so I am not getting my hopes up for any other big plans.
How can that be? I thought that the deal in real $ came to about 43 mil. They used 28mil on the '04 renovations. That would leave about 15mil. The fundamentals area may cost 2mil at the most, new seats would be about 5 mil. There has got to be more that's going to get done.

mdep524
08-10-2004, 11:38 AM
Wow, I am reading a lot of cool things on here, and I think pretty much all of them would be good ideas.
(PCE, I really like your Miegs Field idea, too bad with the current lease and everything that's never going to happen.)

On this poll, I would have voted for all of the above. But my order of priority would be

1.) Grand Entrance- to pull the park together and make it more graceful.

2.) Filling in Umpire Tunnel- as its been pointed out before, we see the camera angle that shows the ugly barren tunnel for most of any given game on TV. Thus this is what most people will identify in their minds with the park. First, I would fill this area in with seats. Then, I would put a decorative glass or brick piece on the fence directly behind homeplate. It would be a diamond with a sock in it (you know that Sox logo). That would add some distinction to the park so when you see it on TV you'd think "White Sox" and not "abandoned warehouse."

3.)Home Run Porch in Right Field- I know some people had problems with the home run porch because it would cover the lower level seats....but the porch could be constructed NOT to cover most of the seats. I was just at Candem Yards in Baltimore last week for the first time, and that is one beautiful park. In Baltimore, the UD over the bleachers doesn't really overhang at all, so it doesn't affect the bleachers.

4.) Dark green seats- If they're going to replace them anyway, might as well go for the green. Not a big deal though.

5.) Skybox Conversion- Though its not really a priority, it really bugs me how those skybox areas go completely unused all the time. There's got to be something they can do with that.

pinwheels3530
08-10-2004, 07:45 PM
How can that be? I thought that the deal in real $ came to about 43 mil. They used 28mil on the '04 renovations. That would leave about 15mil. The fundamentals area may cost 2mil at the most, new seats would be about 5 mil. There has got to be more that's going to get done.

I think the deal with US cellar was signed for 68 million, you can't forget about the 03 renovations were paid with that money.

soxnut
08-10-2004, 10:03 PM
I think the deal with US cellar was signed for 68 million, you can't forget about the 03 renovations were paid with that money.I don't think that was the case, those renovations that were done for '03 were planned before the deal with US Cellular. Those were done because of the ALL star game. That money was received from some ISFA deal in conjunction with the Bears stadium.

SOXPHILE
08-11-2004, 09:09 PM
Flagpoles in the outfield concourse to fly the A.L. Champion and World Champion Flags.

RavenswoodFan
08-11-2004, 10:42 PM
I vote for all of the above, however I think Green seats would be a nice touch. Like my friend says "It looks like Freekin Dodger Stadium in there"!!!!:dtroll: :bandance: :dtroll: :bandance: :dtroll: :bandance:

BeerHandle
08-12-2004, 08:58 AM
The Green Seats have been approved; however, it has not been announced to the public. A friend of mine lives next door to someone in the organization. This individual informed my friend about a month ago that the Green Seats have been approved as part of the renovation plans for the off-season. There will be additional renovations that have not been approved as of yet.