PDA

View Full Version : Observations from the Cell 8/7

Yorke97
08-09-2004, 12:12 PM
Unfortunately this was the first and probably last time I will make it out to Chicago this summer....
I was impressed (at times) with the patience from our team at the plate, particularly Joe Borchard. Despite being overmatched, he took what he could for two base hits. Jose Valentin, however, was pathetic. He had no business out there. I liked Uribe at third, did a good job trying to turn some dp's.

I bought the tickets for myself and my father. He lives in Michigan and myself in Wisconsin and we met in between for a ballgame. He had to sit next to a Indians fan, though. But this fan was reserved and more than tolerable. He infact was complementing the upper deck (can you believe it?). He said it had a good slope to it and a great view of the field. I felt obligated to plead the case for Sox park, explaining that slope is the same as any other new ballpark, but entrances at the lower part of the UD give many the perception that it is too steep. I also explained all of the renovations this last offseason. It was good to see an out of town fan really enjoy our ballpark, and give it the credit it deserves. That ballfield grows on me more and more everytime that I go there.

joeynach
08-09-2004, 12:46 PM
I also think the UD having no overhang out over the other decks has something to do with the misconception of it being high and steep. Combine that with entrances at the bottom and there ya go. I would love to see them try and extend the UD out a little bit and shrink the entrances to add more seats, maybe they could sort of bury the entrances deeper in and have seats over the top. I also wondered if they would move the entrances up some and just have stairs or a ramp that feed the concourse. It would at least look better on the outside and on TV.

Brian26
08-09-2004, 12:48 PM
I would love to see them try and extend the UD out a little bit and shrink the entrances to add more seats, maybe they could sort of bury the entrances deeper in and have seats over the top. I also wondered if they would move the entrances up some and just have stairs or a ramp that feed the concourse. It would at least look better on the outside and on TV.

This would cost a lot of money because of the structural issues involved. I doubt they'll go this route. They're done with the upper deck.

Yorke97
08-09-2004, 12:51 PM
I think we've seen the last of any major rennovatins with the FUNdamentals "porch" which is fine by me, I love USCF as is and mybe with green seats to complete the color scheme.

Tekijawa
08-09-2004, 12:54 PM
I also think the UD having no overhang out over the other decks has something to do with the misconception of it being high and steep. Combine that with entrances at the bottom and there ya go. I would love to see them try and extend the UD out a little bit and shrink the entrances to add more seats, maybe they could sort of bury the entrances deeper in and have seats over the top. I also wondered if they would move the entrances up some and just have stairs or a ramp that feed the concourse. It would at least look better on the outside and on TV.
You have the sky boxes that start at the bottom of the upperdeck and then the little Middle row seats below those, there is no way they can extend the Upperdek down.

FightingBillini
08-09-2004, 01:18 PM
http://flyingsock.com/OldComiskey/images/comiskey67.jpg

This picture was taken from WSI's evolution of Sox Park page. As you see, architects have to create a sightline for all parts of the park. They couldn't extend the upperdeck outwards unless they moved home plate forward. That is why the upperdeck is to steep to begin with, becuase its so high up. You have to be able to see home plate from the very back row (although the upperdeck was cut off at the supports on the right). If they streched the deck outwards, the people in the back row wouldnt be able to see anything in front of the pitchers' mound.

I agree with Joey 100%. I HATE the fact that there is no overhang of the upperdeck. It just doenst seem right, and it looks horrible. Also, in every other park, the entrances are in the middle of the deck. These do add to the 'aura' of the upperdeck. Most people dont give it a chance just becuase it looks frightening.

The Critic
08-09-2004, 01:38 PM
The thing is, though, if the Sox had built the entrances to the UD in the middle or top of the deck, you just KNOW you'd hear some people whine about "I had to walk for like 20 MINUTES to get to the entrances".
The UD is not bad now, it wasn't even AS BAD as advertised before the renovations. I had section 556, row 11 for the ASG last year and the view was fine.
People will find something to complain about in almost any situation.

joeynach
08-09-2004, 02:55 PM
You have the sky boxes that start at the bottom of the upperdeck and then the little Middle row seats below those, there is no way they can extend the Upperdek down.
They sure as hell can. They would just have to change the angle. The only ? would be for the second deck of skyboxes, would they have an unobstructed view. I dont really care becuase most of them are empty anyway. They can sooner get rid of the 2nd deck of skyboxes and build extended upper deck seating that overhangs. Look at this link here of the Great American Park. In the profile you see the UD (pink) and you see a little extra extended seating area up there in front of the meain UD. That is what im asking for at our park.

http://www.andrewclem.com/Baseball/GreatAmericanBP.html