PDA

View Full Version : Hi - I'm new here

OddSox
08-09-2004, 12:11 PM
Hi I'm new to the board & greetings from the UK.

Good news is I'm actually visiting Chicago at the end of the month (yes I've already got tickets for a game)

Question - where do people recommend for a drink before (and maybe after) a game?

kittle42
08-09-2004, 12:22 PM
The bullpen bar.

After the game, head back toward the city (sorry, south siders). :smile:

Palehose13
08-09-2004, 12:29 PM

Good news is I'm actually visiting Chicago at the end of the month (yes I've already got tickets for a game)

Question - where do people recommend for a drink before (and maybe after) a game?

The Bullpen Bar in the park is nice, but with ball park prices. Most people seem to go to either Puffers or Jimbo's.

joeynach
08-09-2004, 01:03 PM

Question - where do people recommend for a drink before (and maybe after) a game?.

Probably Jimbo's which is just a few block down the street from the park on 35th.

maurice
08-09-2004, 04:04 PM
Actually, Jimbo's is two blocks North of the park on 33rd.

SOXSINCE'70
08-10-2004, 11:47 AM
Welcome.Have to agree with everyone who says Jimbo's.:cool: :cool:

Whitesox029
08-10-2004, 11:55 AM

Question - where do people recommend for a drink before (and maybe after) a game?I didn't know there were many baseball fans in the UK, especially ones who would consider rooting for the White Sox. Welcome to Chicago. We only have two rules:
1. Ignore that other team.
2. Try some pizza.

AnkleSox
08-10-2004, 04:16 PM
the cubbie bear.

DumpJerry
08-10-2004, 06:42 PM
Welcome!:gulp:

Avoid Cubbie Bear.....the sea of blue will make you sick. Try to get a drink in the owner's skybox at the park. While there, tell him to sell the team to me for cheap so I can save the team from him. Just kidding, but it would be nice if that could be done.

Jimbo's on 33rd street is a big hang-out place after the game (when you leave the park through Gate 5, go through the park on the other side of the parking lot, you'll see it.)

Before the game you might be able to join a tailgate party if the people are open to visitors. Maybe someone on this site is having a tailgate party and can invite you. If you do not know what tailgating is (this might be an American term), it is a party in the parking lot behind your car with food, drinks and fun.

Have fun!

OddSox
08-11-2004, 12:56 PM
I didn't know there were many baseball fans in the UK, especially ones who would consider rooting for the White Sox. Welcome to Chicago. We only have two rules:
1. Ignore that other team.
2. Try some pizza.
Yeah we get 2 live games a week on terrestrial TV and there's a core viewing populace who get into it.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely abide by the 2 specific rules. If you see 2 large guys with strange rugby tops on at the home game vs Oakland on Weds 1st Sept - one of them will be me. I have tickets in right field just the fair side of the foul marker.

I'll also try a few of your local beers and check out the guiness as well