PDA

View Full Version : "Come on, Timo!" - Hawk's Call

fledgedrallycap
08-09-2004, 10:17 AM
How great was Hawk's call on Sunday when Timo scored on Ben Davis' double to win the game?

Even that national wrap-up shows like SportsCenter turned up Hawk's call.

"Come on, Timo; Come on, Timo; Come on, Timo; Come on, Timo!"

Good Stuff.

mantis1212
08-09-2004, 10:20 AM
That WAS great. Hawk is such a homer, but I think he's awesome.

PorkChopExpress
08-09-2004, 10:23 AM
I was yelling the same thing right along with him. It was sure nice to pull that off and especially with two outs. Timo and Ben - the dangerous duo!

kittle42
08-09-2004, 10:24 AM
A Cub fan friend of mine took that call as a chance to defend Ron Santo, asking me how I can advocate one's call and not the other's. I explained that the difference was that Hawk still managed to at least mention *some* of what was going on during the play, while Santo just would scream "Ahhhhhhh, go, go, go!" and you would have no idea what was happening AND he's on the damn radio.

Huisj
08-09-2004, 10:25 AM
Wasn't that right after Hawk was kind of making fun of cleveland's pitcher for throwing over to first a million times as if he was scared of Timo running? Hawk kept mentioning how Timo isn't nearly as fast as he looks when he dances around with the big lead.

Bruck35
08-09-2004, 10:25 AM
Is there any way to hear this quote online? I haven't had time to hear it yet and would like to before it becomes a distant memory...

Thanks

Baby Fisk
08-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Hawk's call of Alomar's HR on Saturday was awesome too. He was discussing bunts with DJ and suddenly surged with emotion: "YOU DON'T NEED TO BUNT WHEN YOU CAN DO THIS! THE GAME IS TIED! YES!!!"

Hawk rocks!

Rocky Soprano
08-09-2004, 10:35 AM
I LOVE hearing Hawk go nuts. Its awesome to have an announcer with so much passion for our team. You can just tell how big of a fan he is.

Did anyone notice the little dance Timo did when he was called safe?

:bandance:

Jjav829
08-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Is there any way to hear this quote online? I haven't had time to hear it yet and would like to before it becomes a distant memory...

Thanks
I was trying to find the clip of this as well. I already heard it a few times, but I want to listen to it a few times. MLB.com has the Indians broadcast team calling it which is kind of stupid. ESPN.com doesn't have it up on their media player.

My only suggestion would be that if you're near a radio, tune into the Score at 10:00 and/or 11:00 and Boers and Bernstein should play it. They always play highlights of the Sox and Cubs games and I'm sure that will make the cut at either or both times when they play the clips.

mantis1212
08-09-2004, 11:05 AM
I was trying to find the clip of this as well. I already heard it a few times, but I want to listen to it a few times. MLB.com has the Indians broadcast team calling it which is kind of stupid. ESPN.com doesn't have it up on their media player.
I'm a big Hawk fan, but this kind of makes sense. mlb.com probably wants a non-homer announcer doing their games over the internet. That disqualifies Hawk immediately

fledgedrallycap
08-09-2004, 11:16 AM
I
My only suggestion would be that if you're near a radio, tune into the Score at 10:00 and/or 11:00 and Boers and Bernstein should play it. They always play highlights of the Sox and Cubs games and I'm sure that will make the cut at either or both times when they play the clips.
They played it at the top of their show at 10:00, I believe they replay the exact same intro at 1:00...

Sox Mobile
08-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Hawk's call was awesome in the moment and in retrospect!

It was especially great since the game was broadcast on WGN. Sox fans all over the country got to live the moment with Hawk on WGN!

I can imagine Sox fans every where on their feet, I was! Pleading with the baseball Gods and willing Timo across the plate!

Hawk, you made our day!

Brian26
08-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Sportscenter ran the call; Craig Kilbourn was back for "Old School" week and even shut his yap for Hawk to do his thing.

Great, great moment. One of the great calls in Sox history. Four "Come On Timo's" followed by "here's the throw" and a "Safe! Sox win ..3-2...YES!"

:hawk

I luv the moment!

HomerCoach
08-09-2004, 01:02 PM
As a Sox fan who sees VERY few Sox games, I appreciate the call immensley. I fortunately saw the game (call) on WGN. It bothers me though the manerrisms on the Sox bench when we fell into a tie ("here we go again"); and the lack of emotion by the "team" when Timo scored on "Big" Ben Davis' hit ("what do we do now?").

bafiarocks03
08-09-2004, 01:04 PM
ya when i was watching my recording of the game..i saw that it was hilarios..he sounded like a broken record!!

JB98
08-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Hawk's call was awesome in the moment and in retrospect!

It was especially great since the game was broadcast on WGN. Sox fans all over the country got to live the moment with Hawk on WGN!

I can imagine Sox fans every where on their feet, I was! Pleading with the baseball Gods and willing Timo across the plate!

Hawk, you made our day!
The Baseball God(s) have been kind of on my **** list lately, because they have answered very few of my prayers the last two weeks. Yesterday, I actually called upon them to see Ben Davis through that at-bat, and they finally helped us out.

I don't have it on tape, but I think I was yelling, "C'MON TIMO!" from my perch in Section 530 as well. :D:

Tekijawa
08-09-2004, 01:13 PM
My Call was a little different, "Yeah BEN, Run you stupid mother F*****, RUN!, Send Him Joey, send him, Send Him Joey you better... YEah Run F*****, he's going to be safe! You better call him SAFE you A******, yeah we won we finally won a F****** game!!"

I'm probably too much of a Homer for the MLB Baseball webcasts too.

fledgedrallycap
08-09-2004, 01:16 PM
My Call was a little different, "Yeah BEN, Run you stupid mother F*****, RUN!, Send Him Joey, send him, Send Him Joey you better... YEah Run F*****, he's going to be safe! You better call him SAFE you A******, yeah we won we finally won a F****** game!!"

I'm probably too much of a Homer for the MLB Baseball webcasts too.
:) Good stuff.

copyhead
08-09-2004, 04:29 PM
now that i've heard it;

it struck me as a call of a very bitter and frustrated old man finally seeing a chance to let all that built up frustration and bitterness out and grabbing it with both hands

not to be confused with home team enthusiasm!

he should buy a ticket and go sit in the bleachers if he wants to do that

just my opinion...

OzzieBall2004
08-09-2004, 04:45 PM
now that i've heard it;

it struck me as a call of a very bitter and frustrated old man finally seeing a chance to let all that built up frustration and bitterness out and grabbing it with both hands

just my opinion...

Damn right he's frustrated....He knows more about this team and cares more about there success that most broadcasters do. He's a huge homer, but he cares and thats the most important thing. If you can't appreciate that, well quite frankly, you dont know jack.

Erik The Red
08-09-2004, 05:08 PM
Excellent call. Full of emotion. He embodied the same exact feelings that were going through my mind at the moment.

Jjav829
08-09-2004, 05:16 PM
now that i've heard it;

Just wondering, where did you hear it? Online? And if so, where?

HITMEN OF 77
08-09-2004, 07:08 PM
I think that's the Hawk call of the year so far. I can still hear it....:D:

italiancee
08-09-2004, 07:38 PM
now that i've heard it;

just my opinion...
ok dork.how can someone NOT like that call.it was what everyone was thinking or screaming at home or in the stadium themselves.jesus.there are some real haters on this board.are you sure your even a sports fan? you sound like youd rather have bill o'reily as our announcer.dont even bother responding back to me.cause im not on the board much. and post even less. but when i see someone being such a punk i just cant help but comment on it.

regards, cee of armour park 33rddddddddddddddddddddddd

copyhead
08-09-2004, 08:23 PM
Just wondering, where did you hear it? Online? And if so, where?
they ran it on a local sportstalk radio in the Cleveland area

no link to the call, sorry

copyhead
08-09-2004, 08:24 PM
Damn right he's frustrated....He knows more about this team and cares more about there success that most broadcasters do. He's a huge homer, but he cares and thats the most important thing. If you can't appreciate that, well quite frankly, you dont know jack.
i do appreciate enthusiasm!

i just think a broadcast booth isn't the right place to show it so one sided as Hawk did last night, that's all...

copyhead
08-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Another dumbass with the brain of a turnip...

Have a nice life. And remember, you don't have to go home, but you can't post here...:dtroll:

-Banned by VC, 8/9/04 for general stupidity and mind-numbing bad taste.

Meixner007
08-09-2004, 08:46 PM
He Gone

HITMEN OF 77
08-09-2004, 09:43 PM
i do appreciate enthusiasm!

i just think a broadcast booth isn't the right place to show it so one sided as Hawk did last night, that's all...
Hawk works for and supports the Sox so why wouldn't he be excitied and one sided? I'd be pissed if he wasn't and so would every other Sox fan.

Patrick134
08-09-2004, 09:51 PM
Hawk rules. I see a ton of games on Directv and so many announcers sleepwalk through games. You can tell Hawk lives and dies with the sox, like we fans do. He's not doing a national broadcast.

flo-B-flo
08-09-2004, 10:12 PM
That was easily one of his best moments calling Sox games. WAY TO GO HAWK!!:bandance:

Taliesinrk
11-17-2008, 09:22 PM
Please forgive me. I read in the "Talking baseball" forum that Ben Davis was recently signed to a minor league pitching deal with the Reds and, of course, could only think of one thing.

In memory, and due to the fact that this has been a slow day for ridiculous trade idea threads, I thought it only fair to bring back and oldie... but a goodie.

So, BUMP.

EDIT: For the record, the good part isn't the thread, but what happened on the field to inspire the thread. ALSO, I've noticed that had I read far enough down in the "talking baseball" thread, I would have seen that this was brought up alread.. oh well - it was still classic.

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-18-2008, 12:02 AM
Please forgive me. I read in the "Talking baseball" forum that Ben Davis was recently signed to a minor league pitching deal with the Reds and, of course, could only think of one thing.

In memory, and due to the fact that this has been a slow day for ridiculous trade idea threads, I thought it only fair to bring back and oldie... but a goodie.

So, BUMP.

EDIT: For the record, the good part isn't the thread, but what happened on the field to inspire the thread. ALSO, I've noticed that had I read far enough down in the "talking baseball" thread, I would have seen that this was brought up alread.. oh well - it was still classic.

Wow, I think I was at this game.

areilly
11-18-2008, 11:54 AM

So, BUMP.

Wow, this might be a new record.

esbrechtel
11-18-2008, 11:57 AM
I am trying to remember, was this the same year as Huntergate?

soxinem1
11-18-2008, 12:06 PM
A Cub fan friend of mine took that call as a chance to defend Ron Santo, asking me how I can advocate one's call and not the other's. I explained that the difference was that Hawk still managed to at least mention *some* of what was going on during the play, while Santo just would scream "Ahhhhhhh, go, go, go!" and you would have no idea what was happening AND he's on the damn radio.

Santo's pathetic politicing for himself just personifies why he has been such a prick going back to his playing days.

Hawk, on the other hand, is an enthusiastic homer who brings a lot more perspective and color to his broadcasts.

He is also not afraid to knock the team when it is doing poorly, or underachieving. He is realistic in his philosophy and, like him or not, really identifies himself with the team if they play like champs or chumps.

Santo thinks its a ****ing conspiracy if the cubs are not 162-0, win every game 14-0, sweep all postseason series and player awards, and adds no baseball insight of value at all.

That 'Timo' call was Hawk at his best. A true homer, he tried to provide Timo with that bit extra to get him in. Just like a true fan cheering on their favorite team in the same situation. I truly loved that call back then, and still do.

Santo would have just sat there with a call like that and said 'that's nice.'

It is a real shame a pro like Pat Hughes has to have such an oxygen tank like Santo in the booth.

Taliesinrk
11-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Wow, this might be a new record.

Why thank you... I do my best

WHILEPITCH
11-19-2008, 08:20 PM
I have an uncle Timoteo in Spain (Timothy)

I wonder if he was called Timo in his youth.

rookieroy
11-19-2008, 09:53 PM
This is a great bump! One of my favorite memories and thanks for bumping!

DumpJerry
11-19-2008, 11:40 PM
This is a great bump! One of my favorite memories and thanks for bumping!
Yeah, nothing has happened since 2004 with the White Sox which is more exciting than a bench guy scoring the winning run in a season where we did not make the playoffs.:rolleyes:

Taliesinrk
11-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Yeah, nothing has happened since 2004 with the White Sox which is more exciting than a bench guy scoring the winning run in a season where we did not make the playoffs.:rolleyes:

How does that have to do with his "favorite bump"? Admittedly, however, I'm rather biased in this discussion...

mccoydp
11-20-2008, 10:17 AM

2004 rocked! :redneck