PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL "ONE GAME A WEEK" THREAD

Jurr
08-08-2004, 06:59 PM
So, Sox fans, we're sitting here downtrodden, thinking that it is impossible to catch the Twins with the mishmash lineup and all of that. And, quite frankly, that may be true. But, it's always good to hope.

In honor of hope, (if you care to), we'll start an ongoing watch. We'll try to aim for a one game pickup in the standings per week. This could be a good gauge as to how this race boils down, or it could be a very funny thing to keep track of.

"OOhhhh...and with this week's performance, we're 12 games back...we picked up -5 games this week. Go Sox!!"

So, as of Saturday night, we started 7 games out. Now, it looks like Minnesota is going to lose in about 29 innings, so we start the counter catching up one game.

Starting August 8: Sox 6 out. See you next Sunday.

DGSWR81
08-08-2004, 07:01 PM
Well, the Twins are losing in the bottom of the 18th, so thats a plus.

habibharu
08-08-2004, 07:03 PM
come on, ur gonna start one of these just cuz we barely beat a team that we should of killed?

CWSGuy406
08-08-2004, 07:21 PM
come on, ur gonna start one of these just cuz we barely beat a team that we should of killed?
Go away, hab. Stick to your pointless and non-argumentative bashing (at least DaDawg, MB, and JRIG bring up good points about KW) of KW.

voodoochile
08-08-2004, 07:21 PM
come on, ur gonna start one of these just cuz we barely beat a team that we should of killed?Do you EVER just act like a fan?

WOOHOO!
:winner
:twinslose
:indianslose
:dirtyharry

MRKARNO
08-08-2004, 07:26 PM
If the Sox are able to pull this out and take home the division I don't know what I'll do. Even if they don't come back all the way, I'd like to see them make a race of it and pull back within 3 late in the year so at least the games feel like they matter even if the Sox don't really have a good chance of coming back.

I've thrown in the towel, pulled it back and thrown it back in again, but I just might have to pull it out again. It's the bipolar Sox fan inside that continually wants to give up. But c'mon, even the most fervent optimists here have probably said that we're done and the most fervent pessimists here have let the possiblity of the Sox coming back enter their mind. Let's see 2 more months of good, exciting baseball and I think I'll be happy.

CWSGuy406
08-08-2004, 07:30 PM
If the Sox are able to pull this out and take home the division I don't know what I'll do. Even if they don't come back all the way, I'd like to see them make a race of it and pull back within 3 late in the year so at least the games feel like they matter even if the Sox don't really have a good chance of coming back.

I've thrown in the towel, pulled it back and thrown it back in again, but I just might have to pull it out again. It's the bipolar Sox fan inside that continually wants to give up. But c'mon, even the most fervent optimists here have probably said that we're done and the most fervent pessimists here have let the possiblity of the Sox coming back enter their mind. Let's see 2 more months of good, exciting baseball and I think I'll be happy.
Karno - for the sake of Sox fans everywhere - let's hope that we see a little more than two months of good baseball... :supernana:

HomeFish
08-08-2004, 07:34 PM
Do we play the Twins again this season?

Hosey22
08-08-2004, 07:36 PM
I would really like to go to one of the Sox/Twins games at home next month, about 3 or 4 games out, with a packed house, and see if the sox can't make a miracle out of this season. That's all, even if we get close again only to watch it slip away, as bad as that would feel, at least we'd be watching competitive baseball down to the end, which is all i ask for if they aren't going to win. I'm with you guys, Sox will be 3 games back on Sept. 2. From there we shall see.

MRKARNO
08-08-2004, 07:36 PM
Do we play the Twins again this season?
6 more times (3 and 3) and the last series is played at home

PaleHoseGeorge
08-08-2004, 07:50 PM
Sorry, but the whole concept behind this thread sounds a bit too much like something that toothpick grinnin' ignoramus said after St. Louis buried his team.

:woo-woo
"I'm ignorant, too, but I don't use toothpicks because they would need to be as large as saplings to do this mouth any good."

MRKARNO
08-08-2004, 07:54 PM
Sorry, but the whole concept behind this thread sounds a bit too much like something that toothpick grinnin' ignoramus said after St. Louis buried his team.

Yeah but Minny got up there because of a huge hot streak, which appears to be cooling off and the White Sox got there with a freezing cold streak and if they can warm up a bit, the gap can shorten, especially with the fact that the Twins still have 6 games with New York, a team which has lost only 14 games at home the entire season and a team which the Twins have not beaten in the regular season since May 2001. Also, we have a much easier schedule besides that overall and we have 6 games left with the Twins, so we kind of control our own fate. Don't forget 8 of the last 11 games for the White Sox coming against the AL-Worst Kansas City Royals, who will be fielding a AAA team by then. The more you look at schedules, the more reasons for hope there are.

batmanZoSo
08-08-2004, 08:00 PM
If the Sox are able to pull this out and take home the division I don't know what I'll do. Even if they don't come back all the way, I'd like to see them make a race of it and pull back within 3 late in the year so at least the games (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=161,28180399,whitesoxinteractiv e.com,0) feel like they matter even if the Sox don't really have a good chance of coming back.

I don't care about the rest of the year. I'm almost thinking about getting the highest possible pick because it's over. I'm looking toward the winter when real changes have to take place. If they don't I'll be mightily pissed at this organization. I'm just flat out sick of this team and don't ever want to see them again. And by team I mean the streaky, home run swinging chokers since 2001. It's time to retool, and then I'll be happy.

dcb33
08-08-2004, 08:01 PM
I'm hopeful becuase this team always does well when no one is paying attention... now that the baseball wizards at ESPN and other national media outlets have all but written off the Sox as being finished in '04, it would only make sense that we get hot in September and the Twins fade... after all, they can't play .667 ball the rest of the season, can they?

margiss
08-08-2004, 08:08 PM
It has been a VERY tring few weeks for us fans.

After two weeks of turmoil I successfuly escaped with a TV in tact (barely) and am ready for the next two months with an optomistic mind. Nice thread. Hopefully all the negative energy can stick to teh rest of this board (it's getting quite old and while everyone has the right to vent in their own way hopefully this thread can be a sort of safe haven for those of us who want to keep hope alive.)

It's nice to give the Indians a taste of the late inning bitter pill and to see the Twins go down the same way. Go Sox!

5 games out (or less) by August 15th

DVsoxfan
08-08-2004, 09:03 PM
I believe. We can do this but its gonna take a heck of a run. But I think we can pull it off. still two months left fellas.

Jurr
08-09-2004, 12:58 PM
See, all we need is to see what happens by each Sunday. I don't care if we lose ground by two games in the week, but we gained three the next, we're still on that 1 game per week pace. That's the spirit of this thread. There could be all kinds of repositioning going on in one week, but this takes that day to day thing out of the equation and looks at the big picture at the end of 7 days. It's easier to digest that way.

Jurr
08-09-2004, 02:13 PM
Damn, I hope we catch those pieces of s**t. Especially after all the smack the Twins announcers are throwing out there today.

OzzieBall2004
08-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Looks like we might pick up another one today and make it 5 games....Minny is losing 3-2 in the bottom of the 6th

MRKARNO
08-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Looks like we might pick up another one today and make it 5 games....Minny is losing 3-2 in the bottom of the 6th A one run lead with four innings left isn't that big of a deal for any American League team.

OEO Magglio
08-09-2004, 03:18 PM
A one run lead with four innings left isn't that big of a deal for any American League team.Especially the twins.

MRKARNO
08-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Especially the twins.
Well now it's 2 runs with 3 innings, so that's definately a bigger deal.

PorkChopExpress
08-09-2004, 03:49 PM
How about a meltodown by the Twins in the 8th. Their losing by 6 and it's not over yet. Could this be the start of there fall to reality?

MRKARNO
08-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Could this be the start of there fall to reality?
Well let's see if they falter against the M's before we proclaim them in a freefall

PorkChopExpress
08-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Well let's see if they falter against the M's before we proclaim them in a freefall
Let's go Olivo!

Soxzilla
08-09-2004, 04:12 PM
RANGERS LOSE!

Twins are only 3 outs from another losS, down 8-2 against the athletics.

Both anaheim and boston are due up tonite as well.

Could. Get. Exciting.

Mickster
08-09-2004, 04:22 PM
:twinslose

We are 5.5 back. A win tonight could make it 5! :smile:

ode to veeck
08-09-2004, 07:29 PM
I'm still a glass half full kind of guy, even though I can clearly see the very bottom of the glass is geting darn close here

If we can somehow win a game tonight from 5th starter slot (cmon Diaz!), anything can happen

GO SOX!

Jurr
08-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Okay...here we are...almost the end of the week, and despite the horrible play we've endured......we've already picked up our game this week, and we could get another one today. Good stuff..All we need is one a week, guys!

doublem23
08-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Okay...here we are...almost the end of the week, and despite the horrible play we've endured......we've already picked up our game this week, and we could get another one today. Good stuff..All we need is one a week, guys!
That and now we need the Jndjans to fall apart. The only real hope for these Sox is that the Twins and Tribe beat up on one another in the 13 games left the two have and we somehow sneak by both of them.

My optimism is waning, but I can't throw in the towel just yet.

idseer
08-12-2004, 05:46 PM
That and now we need the Jndjans to fall apart. The only real hope for these Sox is that the Twins and Tribe beat up on one another in the 13 games left the two have and we somehow sneak by both of them.

My optimism is waning, but I can't throw in the towel just yet.
actually i find i like this thread. very good idea jurr!

i don't believe we can come back either but stranger things have happened and this thread almost makes it seem reasonable ......... almost. :D:

Soxzilla
08-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Think if the injuns and twins each take 6 or 7 from each other, and then we come in there pumped and "sweep" them off their feet we are in a good position to take this division by storm.

Did the toons give up when they were far back!? no. Why should we?!

Jurr
08-12-2004, 06:54 PM
actually i find i like this thread. very good idea jurr!

i don't believe we can come back either but stranger things have happened and this thread almost makes it seem reasonable ......... almost. :D:
That's what this is for. To make a rational attempt at keeping the fires of hope lit. Here's hoping we have a decent outing in Boston so we can keep that 1 game of ground we've earned this week.

voodoochile
08-12-2004, 11:09 PM
Think if the injuns and twins each take 6 or 7 from each other, and then we come in there pumped and "sweep" them off their feet we are in a good position to take this division by storm.

Did the toons give up when they were far back!? no. Why should we?!
Go you crazy tribers this weekend at least. 2 back on Monday would look simply great...

JB98
08-12-2004, 11:16 PM
Go you crazy tribers this weekend at least. 2 back on Monday would look simply great...

I'd settle for getting to Monday still only five back. Boston is 36-19 at home, and the Sox are terrible on the road. It would be a win to just break even this weekend.

voodoochile
08-12-2004, 11:18 PM
I'd settle for getting to Monday still only five back. Boston is 36-19 at home, and the Sox are terrible on the road. It would be a win to just break even this weekend.
Quit peeing on my head and telling me it's raining...

Isn't this the only thread for optimists left?

Soxzilla
08-13-2004, 12:35 AM
I stand by my winning series' hopes. If we can continue to take 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 3 or etc we will put ourselves back into this thing.

Let's not worry ourselves with 8...9....12 game winning streaks.:gulp:

Jurr
08-13-2004, 10:38 PM
Uh oh.....we have gained 2 games so far this week. Even if we lose a game of ground in the next two days, we've hit our quota for the week. Go SOX!!!

Jurr
08-14-2004, 09:46 PM
See, aren't you glad we have a thread like this?

We lose a game tonight but don't lose ground in the standings. Still have our two game pickup for the week. Don't worry about Cleveland....they'll fall off.

At the end of Sunday's action last week, Sox were down 6 games.
Considering there won't be a game tomorrow, we end the week 4 games back, and possibly 3.5 if Cleveland wins tomorrow.

One game a week, huh? Try gaining two.

BarbG
08-14-2004, 10:31 PM
See, aren't you glad we have a thread like this?...One game a week, huh? Try gaining two.

Trying to share the optimism...so far I see your point...meet me back here next week.

Jurr
08-15-2004, 05:05 PM
And, at the end of the week, we see that the Sox have gained two games on the Twins. We also came into the Red Sox' home, beat them two out of three (and nobody's been winning series against the Red Sox...they had won five straight), and we did it with clutch play. Good job, boys!

PorkChopExpress
08-25-2004, 02:24 PM
Where did we stand at the end of last week?

Soxzilla
08-25-2004, 02:49 PM
Where did we stand at the end of last week?A lot higher than 8 games out...

petekat
08-25-2004, 03:26 PM
the Sox are baack. only 8 games out. gain 2 more before we meet Minny and we'll be ok.!!!! :bandance:

wooooooooo! Say it with me!

http://www.falcon.cz/charliehoandilci2/img/bernie.jpg