PDA

View Full Version : Mariners fans saying Garcia trade was horrible...

Aidan
08-08-2004, 06:43 PM
From the Seattle Mariners MLB forum:
http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-mariners&msg=18306.1&ctx=0

Read what they are saying about Freddy Garcia and Ben Davis. :tongue:

doublem23
08-08-2004, 06:58 PM
Awww... I feel so bad for the Mariners. :whiner:

:)

Who am I kidding? I revel in their misery. Of course, it's too early to concretely evaluate this trade, but every day its looking more and more like KW pulled off an amazing deal, especially considering Garcia is inked for 3 more years.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-08-2004, 07:18 PM
Yes, but the important question is what does Billy Beane think of the trade?:cool:

MRKARNO
08-08-2004, 07:22 PM
THAT DEAL WAS TERRIBLE! FIRE KENNY WILLIAMS NOW!!!

It really scares me to think where we'd be right now without Freddy Garcia. Probably even further in the basement.

fquaye149
08-08-2004, 07:29 PM
oh no, another fobb baiting thread.

I think KW is great, but let's wait and see how Jeremy Reed turns out before we declare this one a rousing success.

Huisj
08-08-2004, 07:53 PM

Aiden, what do you do all day that you have 800 some posts in just a month? I don't think i've had time to make that many posts in 2 or 3 years now.

idseer
08-08-2004, 08:38 PM

??

looked to me like most of those posters still think it was a very good deal for the m's.

jeremyb1
08-08-2004, 11:47 PM
Does anyone have these guys e-mail addresses? I plan to contact them as my primary method of evaluating all future MLB trades.

jeremyb1
08-08-2004, 11:51 PM
Haha. Uh oh. Now that more than one person has replied to the thread looks like the verdict is that the Mariner fans feel as though their club got the better side of the deal. And I was spending all this team trying to analyze the deal myself when I should've known all along the fans are the only one's really capable of figuring it out.

Jjav829
08-09-2004, 12:11 AM
Haha. Uh oh. Now that more than one person has replied to the thread looks like the verdict is that the Mariner fans feel as though their club got the better side of the deal. And I was spending all this team trying to analyze the deal myself when I should've known all along the fans are the only one's really capable of figuring it out.
What, your analysis of the trade is above those fans analysis of the trade?

JB98
08-09-2004, 01:52 AM
Remember, those who believe in the theory of Moneyball have more baseball knowledge than the rest of us combined.....

:dtroll: :dtroll: :dtroll:

DrCrawdad
08-09-2004, 08:25 AM
The signing of Garcia shuts the mouths of some Mariners fans who were saying, 'We traded Garcia for 3 players and then we'll sign Garcia as a FA...'

StepsInSC
08-09-2004, 10:06 AM
Aiden, what do you do all day that you have 800 some posts in just a month? I don't think i've had time to make that many posts in 2 or 3 years now.
He's got nothing on Mr. twenty-some-odd-posts-per-day SEALGep.

JDP
08-09-2004, 11:07 AM
It's AidAn, not AidEn. Yeesh.

Palehose13
08-09-2004, 01:24 PM
He's got nothing on Mr. twenty-some-odd-posts-per-day SEALGep.

Actually, he does. SEAL is averaging 13.9 posts/day. Aidan is averaging 22.15 posts/day.
:o:

kittle42
08-09-2004, 02:01 PM
Actually, he does. SEAL is averaging 13.9 posts/day. Aidan is averaging 22.15 posts/day.
:o:
Yikes.

jeremyb1
08-09-2004, 02:15 PM

In that thread yes, there are mostly opinions and undeveloped arguments. I might disagree with people but I won't argue that my opinion is objectively better as long as their arguments are equally well developed and supported. Arguments that consist mostly of opinions ("Man, Garcia is awesome we shoudn't have traded him") or that are based on small sample sizes ("Ben Davis has turned his career around" based on 40 plate appearances) are objectively poor arguments in my opinion.

jordan23ventura
08-09-2004, 11:48 PM
THAT DEAL WAS TERRIBLE! FIRE KENNY WILLIAMS NOW!!!

It really scares me to think where we'd be right now without Freddy Garcia. Probably even further in the basement.

How about DEFINATELY in the basement. Garcia has been a Buerhle clone in that he has been consistent and dominant most of the time. He may not get enough run support, but he doesn't need all that much. Buerhle/Garcia/Contreras is the best starting three in recent memory. (Loaiza/Buerhle/Colon was a one night stand).

jordan23ventura
08-09-2004, 11:51 PM
In that thread yes, there are mostly opinions and undeveloped arguments. I might disagree with people but I won't argue that my opinion is objectively better as long as their arguments are equally well developed and supported. Arguments that consist mostly of opinions ("Man, Garcia is awesome we shoudn't have traded him") or that are based on small sample sizes ("Ben Davis has turned his career around" based on 40 plate appearances) are objectively poor arguments in my opinion.
"Garcia is awesome" is an opinion, but it's based on fact. Look at the numbers. Picture the Sox with Jeremy Reed, Mike Morse, and Miguel Olivo. Then take away Garcia and Davis. Where would this team be? At least 8 back.

ClaudelSleptHere
08-10-2004, 04:56 AM
"Garcia is awesome" is an opinion, but it's based on fact. Look at the numbers. Picture the Sox with Jeremy Reed, Mike Morse, and Miguel Olivo. Then take away Garcia and Davis. Where would this team be? At least 8 back.

Is that an opinion based on fact?

fquaye149
08-10-2004, 08:23 AM
Is that an opinion based on fact?
it's more like theory based on reasonable conjecture.

the games garcia has pitched in and won would have probably been losses with any combination of diaz/rauch so that's 5 games right there.

Meanwhile, Olivo's offensive production has not surpassed the burke/davis combination so it's unreasonable to expect he would have helped make up the losses diaz/rauch would have earned.

Reed and Morse wouldn't have played any major league baseball this year, though perhaps kenny could have dealt them for another piece, but doubtful that it would be one as effective as garcia's probably 5 game difference.

therefore i think saying we'd be 8 games back w/o this trade is a reasonable theory that seems quite supportable when you stack the facts up. of course there are many intangibles so it's impossible to say for certain. . .but still.