PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-8 EAT THAT, CLEVELAND post-game thread

doublem23
08-08-2004, 04:55 PM
COME ON, TIMO! COME ON, TIMO! COME ON, TIMO!

:supernana:

OEO Magglio
Ben Davis and Jose Contreras are my hero's.:bandance:

DGSWR81
Well, that's a relief.

JRIG
08-08-2004, 04:56 PM

Boy he was chugging around those bases. I didn't think he was going to make it.

When's the last time you heard Hawk so excited?

RKMeibalane
08-08-2004, 04:56 PM

That was great!

Cowch44
08-08-2004, 04:57 PM
I'll take the bag off my head.....for today.

voodoochile

Almost a great defensive play. When that ball left Davis's bat, I thought it was a gapper for sure. Great at bat for him. How many pitches did he see? Seemed to take forever.

voodoochile
I'll take the bag off my head.....for today.
Well, don't do us any favors...:D:

Cowch44
08-08-2004, 04:58 PM
Almost a great defensive play. When that ball left Davis's bat, I thought it was a gapper for sure. Great at bat for him. How many pitches did he see? Seemed to take forever.
9 pitches and like 10 PO attempts

PaulDrake
08-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Timo looked like he was doing a tractor pull as he rounded third but hey I''l take it. Maybe just maybe this will be contagious.

Aidan
08-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Ben Davis -- from 1st round bust to CLUTCH HERO!!!

By the way, does anyone miss Loaiza now with Contreras?

DoggPhood
08-08-2004, 05:00 PM
About time. JOEY CORA IS A GENIUS

voodoochile
08-08-2004, 05:01 PM
9 pitches and like 10 PO attempts
9 is a great number. I will take that anyday.

Win1ForMe
08-08-2004, 05:02 PM
So I guess Cleveland didn't get that memo about laying off Contreras' splitter and the game being over? Someone should forward that Joe Sheehan column to them.

soltrain21
08-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Wow...he won.

I said in the chat that Ben was going to end it. I have witnesses!

OEO Magglio
08-08-2004, 05:03 PM
By the way, does anyone miss Loaiza now with Contreras?No, to bad he didn't get the win today, he shouldn't have let up any runs, he was just spectacular today.

Aidan
08-08-2004, 05:15 PM
No, to bad he didn't get the win today, he shouldn't have let up any runs, he was just spectacular today.Yep, Contreras just shut down the #1 offense in all of baseball. Later, Loaiza!!!

losingugly2004
08-08-2004, 05:30 PM
This game was too much excitement for a man whose cholesterol is through the roof...give us an easy one! Is there any easy ones left this year? Two weeks ago I thought for sure, but now I'm not so sure. It was great to see Shingo get a little redemption after yesterday's tough loss. Unfortunately, it was Marte that put him in this position for the win.

P.S. I like what KW has been doing with the acquisitions for the team. Unfortunately, not everyone has worked out but when they were executed most trades seemed to make a lot of sense. Keep trying KW! :D:

hsnterprize
08-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Hawk's call on TV, if you heard it, was simply classic homerism, hands down. And...it was great. I hope someone can stream it onto the net so one of us could use it as a signature.

This was a morale-boosting win. Now, let's string a few of these together to make up for the crap over the past 2 weeks.

BTW...sorry if the long signature is hard to read. I just had to find some way to express my thoughts on how this team has been playing lately. Take a second or two to read it all before commenting on it.

owensmouth
08-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Top of the 17th in Minnesota... 3-3

HomeFish
08-08-2004, 05:39 PM
Top of the 17th in Minnesota... 3-3

AUGIE OJEDA is batting for the Twins!!!

Frater Perdurabo
08-08-2004, 05:42 PM
Buy your playoff tickets now, before they are all gone!

Seriously, good to see a win (FINALLY!). Second place never looked so good. :bandance:

MRKARNO
08-08-2004, 05:44 PM
And it's officially 2 games in one for only the second time in the majors this season (I think)

MRKARNO
08-08-2004, 05:51 PM
4-3 A's in the 18th on Jermaine Dye's blooper to center off Terry Mulholland!

MRKARNO
08-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Durazo singles and it's 5-3 A's.....

Damien Miller Singles and it's 6-3 A's!

Jurr
08-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Well.....one game a week. That's probably not going to happen, but we'll see.

AOEllis
08-08-2004, 05:57 PM
I think it was Kevin Frazier on SC (The other black guy, the one who doesn't speak in ebonics and doesn't have a lazy eye) made a joke after they played that classic Hawk call, saying, "Hawk known for his neutrality." I thought that was perfect. I love it when SC shows those plays with Hawks calls, and Boers and Bernsie will be playing that call over and over tomorrow.

BTW, anyone know where stats of Ben Davis as a White Sox are available?

owensmouth
08-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Twinkies back to within one run in bottom of 18th

jortafan
I'm sorry, but I'm still pissed about today's game.

Our team should never have been in a position where it had to come from behind to win. I'm still trying to figure out what was going through Timo Perez' head when he half-butted his way to that fly ball in the 7th inning, thereby setting up the stage for the first run.

And that home run in the ninth? Jose Contreras deserved a win for the way he pitched today. It would be nice to hear Yankees fan reaction to the idea that their "headcase" reject of a pitcher actually can throw the ball well and win games, ONCE he got out of the Bronx. Personally, I'm hoping Jose pitches against the Red Sox for our Sox, and gets a win, just to cheese off a few Yankees fair-weather fans.

I can't help but gripe at this game. We nearly had our team piss away another one. But then again, I'm not going to turn away a win. We all needed this to help keep us from cracking up completely.

Now that I've got that out of my system, I'll shut up.

MRKARNO
Naturally Dotel Lets up a 2 run homer before recording an out 6-5 A's

OG4LIFE
08-08-2004, 06:04 PM
BTW, anyone know where stats of Ben Davis as a White Sox are available?
ellis:

http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/6144

AOEllis
08-08-2004, 06:06 PM
Thanks

owensmouth
08-08-2004, 06:09 PM
Twinkies lose

MRKARNO
08-08-2004, 06:09 PM
A's Hold on to win the game 6-5. Sox back to 6 back

MisterB
08-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Dotel finally nails it down...:wired:

LongLiveFisk
08-08-2004, 06:16 PM
I wasn't looking forward to being at today's game thinking I was in for another sorry performance (I know, great confidence, huh?) but glad I was able to witness a very badly needed victory :smile:

And to that drillrod Cub fan sitting in left center who had the audacity to wear a "Sox suck" t-shirt at OUR PARK and flaunt his flubbie gear, I hope you got the snot beat out of you South-Side style. :bandance:

Gimm
08-08-2004, 06:19 PM
A's Hold on to win the game 6-5. Sox back to 6 back5 in the loss column.

Sox make 2 key acquisitions, Shannon Stewart reaggravates the injury and you won't believe how quickly this lead could melt down. Seen it many times over the last few years.

batmanZoSo
08-08-2004, 06:28 PM

I think Hawk actually willed the call "safe." I thought he was out but it was one of those calls that could've either way easily. Umpires are human, though. "Alright, enough is enough, you're safe. You win. Go home."

kcsportscaster
08-08-2004, 06:49 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm still pissed about today's game.

Our team should never have been in a position where it had to come from behind to win. I'm still trying to figure out what was going through Timo Perez' head when he half-butted his way to that fly ball in the 7th inning, thereby setting up the stage for the first run.

And that home run in the ninth? Jose Contreras deserved a win for the way he pitched today. It would be nice to hear Yankees fan reaction to the idea that their "headcase" reject of a pitcher actually can throw the ball well and win games, ONCE he got out of the Bronx. Personally, I'm hoping Jose pitches against the Red Sox for our Sox, and gets a win, just to cheese off a few Yankees fair-weather fans.

I can't help but gripe at this game. We nearly had our team piss away another one. But then again, I'm not going to turn away a win. We all needed this to help keep us from cracking up completely.

Now that I've got that out of my system, I'll shut up.

I see you are not the only Sox fan venting about today's game despite that classic win in the bottom of the ninth, COME ON TIMO, COME ON TIMO!!!! Seriously, what was Marte doing on the mound in the top of the ninth at all instead of Shingo???? Yeah, Ozzie then puts Shingo in, only after Marte allowed the game tying homer!!!! However, DA SOX got it done with Ben Freakin' Davis of all people!!!!

As for Contreras, one of the top pitching performances of the entire season for DA SOX!!!! He had everything working against that Indians lineup. I, too, wonder what those stupid Yankee fans think about Contreras now.

As for the finale against the Indians tomorrow night, I see that Felix Diaz is back up and will make the start. Hopefully, he will put together a good pitching performance on his own and shut down the Indians.

However, I STILL want K-W fired!!!!:angry:

SomebodyToldMe
08-08-2004, 07:26 PM
dammit! what was hawk saying?!

i was at the game so i couldn't hear the call!!!

amazing atmosphere there.

Evman5
08-08-2004, 07:30 PM
:notoons :Rocker: :Rocker: :Rocker:

Rock on!!!!!! We needed that one!

EL Conde does it again!!!!!!

HITMEN OF 77
08-08-2004, 08:06 PM
[QUOTE=jortafan]I'm sorry, but I'm still pissed about today's game.

Our team should never have been in a position where it had to come from behind to win. QUOTE]

We never were behind in this game and with the way we've been playing, a win is a win.

duke of dorwood
08-08-2004, 08:11 PM
6 out. 4 1/2 out of WC-time to look for some offense, KW

DrCrawdad
08-08-2004, 08:20 PM
Felix Diaz is the starter on Monday, right?

Gimm
08-08-2004, 08:23 PM
Seriously, what was Marte doing on the mound in the top of the ninth at all instead of Shingo????
See, this is where reading the pitching line without watching the game can be deceptive.

I for one have NO beef with Marte today. - he blew away a very tough hitter Hafner in a way reminiscent of 2002 and 2003, got beat on a good pitch in and above the belt by Martinez, and jammed the hell out of Blake.

South Side
08-08-2004, 08:33 PM
I wasn't looking forward to being at today's game thinking I was in for another sorry performance (I know, great confidence, huh?) but glad I was able to witness a very badly needed victory :smile:

And to that drillrod Cub fan sitting in left center who had the audacity to wear a "Sox suck" t-shirt at OUR PARK and flaunt his flubbie gear, I hope you got the snot beat out of you South-Side style. :bandance:
Great game... I saw a guy with a Prior jersey and then a 1983 logo Sox shirt but instead of Sox it was Sux :angry:
I thought I was going to kill everyone after that homer Marte gave up.. It was nice energy in the ball park in the 9th. I was sitting on the 3rd base side and I was amazed at Timo charging his way home... WOW! I'm am seriously impressed with Ben Davis and Rowand... if only the whole team could play like them... For any of the people that did the Fuji Film Day thing, did Carlos Lee not participate... I was looking at the pictures and he's the only one I don't have and I don't remember seeing him.

South Side
08-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Positivity is good... Maybe this game could bring their energy level up and we could go on a run and at the same time the Twins tiring 18 inning loss could send them into a tailspin? No? Ok...

LongLiveFisk
08-08-2004, 08:56 PM
For any of the people that did the Fuji Film Day thing, did Carlos Lee not participate... I was looking at the pictures and he's the only one I don't have and I don't remember seeing him.
You are not imagining things...Carlos was NOT on the field to meet the fans. The only other Sox player I can think of that did not come out besides Carlos was Contreras but I'm assuming that was because he was the starting pitcher today. (This does not include Frank and Mags, of course).

I'm not totally sure why Carlos didn't come out, but in fairness to him he does make appearances here and there to sign autographs, so it's not like he always avoids the fans or anything. Maybe he did not want to be on his feet so long after that foul ball off his kneecap yesterday. This would make sense, since Everett played LF today with Lee DH'ing and you definitely wouldn't see that normally.

Lip Man 1
08-08-2004, 09:06 PM
Did anyone else notice that the Cleveland starter had a combined ERA of 7.5 this year and yet he held the Sox to two runs in six innings?

Lip

Flight #24
08-08-2004, 09:16 PM
Naturally Dotel Lets up a 2 run homer before recording an out 6-5 A's
Hey - I got a stat says it's not even a homer, so don't imply that the great Billy Beane acquired anything less than a dominant closer!!!

(Note to FOBB - Lighten up, it's a joke based on the BB love of some of the not-so-rational around here)

StockdaleForVeep
08-08-2004, 09:25 PM
I do think we should mark this date as the potential turning point. We got "Weak" kc comin up again, and we had a emotional last ab(literal) win, with minnesota losing after 18 innings, their bullpen is gonna be shaky for atleast 1-2 games plus that is a major momentum bust....

BTW, for all the bandwagon jumpers, your tickets for your seats are no longer valid for the wagon, I like to put my feet up, Thanx for the contribution

StockdaleForVeep
08-08-2004, 09:33 PM
I think Hawk actually willed the call "safe." I thought he was out but it was one of those calls that could've either way easily. Umpires are human, though. "Alright, enough is enough, you're safe. You win. Go home."

Umpire-Eh, you guys had a rough 2 weeks, take a shower, ya won.

OurBitchinMinny
08-08-2004, 09:44 PM
5 in the loss column.

Sox make 2 key acquisitions, Shannon Stewart reaggravates the injury and you won't believe how quickly this lead could melt down. Seen it many times over the last few years.
Well the sox went from 1/2 up to 7 back in about 2 weeks so it can swing fast

doublem23
08-08-2004, 10:47 PM
Did anyone else notice that the Cleveland starter had a combined ERA of 7.5 this year and yet he held the Sox to two runs in six innings?

Lip
http://voopa.home.comcast.net/nowhining.jpg

Not tonight.

Mohoney
08-08-2004, 11:10 PM
I do think we should mark this date as the potential turning point. We got "Weak" kc comin up again, and we had a emotional last ab(literal) win, with minnesota losing after 18 innings, their bullpen is gonna be shaky for atleast 1-2 games plus that is a major momentum bust....

BTW, for all the bandwagon jumpers, your tickets for your seats are no longer valid for the wagon, I like to put my feet up, Thanx for the contribution

Plus, they have to make the long trip to Seattle, and Terry Mulholland was originally scheduled to start that series opener on Tuesday.

If Kyle Lohse has to leave tomorrow's game early, the Twins bullpen might be totally fried by the time that Yankee series comes up.

JB98
08-09-2004, 12:40 AM
Well, yeah, we're still struggling mightily offensively. I don't think there are going to be many double-digit explosions for the rest of the year. We'll take what we can get at this point. It was just a good feeling to walk out of the Cell having witnessed a victory today. I'm still pessimistic about our postseason chances, but I'm not so grim that I'm going to dwell on the cloud in a silver lining when we win.

StockdaleForVeep
08-09-2004, 12:59 AM
Plus, they have to make the long trip to Seattle, and Terry Mulholland was originally scheduled to start that series opener on Tuesday.

If Kyle Lohse has to leave tomorrow's game early, the Twins bullpen might be totally fried by the time that Yankee series comes up.
Actually, terry is alright. I liked him when he was in PITT and at the time only cub i liked to watch. I wouldnt doubt he'll still start, he may be older but always prompted how he could come out of the pen, pitch 2-4 innings and start the next day if asked.

Side note, who did pitt get for trading mullholland? Or was it FA acquisiton?

StillMissOzzie
08-09-2004, 01:51 AM
dammit! what was hawk saying?!

i was at the game so i couldn't hear the call!!!

amazing atmosphere there.
There may have been more, but it was pretty much "Come on, Timo! Come on, Timo!" over and over, from the second the ball left Davis' bat, as Timo rounded 2nd, 3rd, and scored. Kinda funny, but Hawk was pretty excited. We've been losing games like this, so it was great to win one this way.

SMO
:bandance: :gulp:

StockdaleForVeep
08-09-2004, 03:05 AM
There may have been more, but it was pretty much "Come on, Timo! Come on, Timo!" over and over, from the second the ball left Davis' bat, as Timo rounded 2nd, 3rd, and scored. Kinda funny, but Hawk was pretty excited. We've been losing games like this, so it was great to win one this way.

SMO
:bandance: :gulp:

With voice breaking at times, davis hit the ball, hawk screamed base hit to the gap and then just started yellin "COME ON TIMO!" and then sounded like on the verge of tears i believe he went "SAFE! SOX WIN!"