PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas: I'll Be Back Next Year

RKMeibalane
08-07-2004, 09:07 PM
At least we have something (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1854590) to look forward to. Here's to you, Big Frank! :gulp::gulp::gulp:

JRIG
08-07-2004, 09:10 PM
At least we have something (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1854590) to look forward to. Here's to you, Big Frank! :gulp::gulp::gulp:
Oh, great. The Big Base Clogger will be back next year. He can't bunt!!

RKMeibalane
08-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Oh, great. The Big Base Clogger will be back next year. He can't bunt!!
He's not a "grinder," either.

Lip Man 1
08-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Here's what I found interesting:

"With the players we have now, if we all get healthy, we should run away with things, to be honest."

Frank Thomas talking about the 2005 season.

(Trying desperately to stop.... laugh.....laughing. LOL)

Sure Frank...like in 2001, 2002 and last year perhaps? (another fit of laughing...)

Lip

Aidan
08-07-2004, 09:13 PM
I guess that means he's going to exercise his $8 million option for 2005. Any good news helps at this point.

Projected 2005 White Sox Lineup:
CF Aaron Rowand
2B Robbie Alomar
DH Frank Thomas
LF Carlos Lee
1B Paul Konerko
RF Carl Everett
SS Jose Valentin OR Juan Uribe
3B Joe Crede
C Ben Davis

Projected 2005 White Sox Rotation:
1.) Freddy Garcia
2.) Mark Buehrle
3.) Jose Contreras
4.) Jon Garland
5.) ???

RKMeibalane
08-07-2004, 09:14 PM

"With the players we have now, if we all get healthy, we should run away with things, to be honest."

Sure Frank...like in 2001, 2002 and last year perhaps? (another fit of laughing...)

Lip
What's he supposed to say, Lip? If he'd said, "I think this team is going suck next season," I don't think people would be too happy with him. You can't blame the guy for being supportive of his team, regardless of how realistic his prediction is.

Lip Man 1
08-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Can't wait to see us 'run away' with things in 2005 with such automatic outs as Harris, Borchard, Uribe, Davis, Crede and Alomar, Sandy in the lineup.

Yea that'll get it done!

Lip

RKMeibalane
08-07-2004, 09:17 PM
Can't wait to see us 'run away' with things in 2005 with such automatic outs as Harris, Borchard, Uribe, Davis, Crede and Alomar, Sandy in the lineup.

Yea that'll get it done!

Lip
I have the feeling Borchard will be gone after this season. The Sox are just going to have to eat his contract and pay to do nothing. He's a bust.

Lip Man 1
08-07-2004, 09:17 PM
He could have said...

'Next year we have to work hard, be prepared and be able to do the things that win close games...'

I don't think anybody would have 'come down,' on Frank for saying that do you? Williams has said the same thing only yesterday.

Lip

RKMeibalane
08-07-2004, 09:19 PM
He could have said...

'Next year we have to work hard, be prepared and be able to do the things that win close games...'

I don't think anybody would have 'come down,' on Frank for saying that do you? Williams has said the same thing only yesterday.

Lip
I think Frank probably wanted to avoid dishing out any criticism at this point. He knows the rest of the team is down on itself, and he probably didn't want to add to it by calling anybody out.

Deadguy
08-07-2004, 09:23 PM
I hope he comes back at 100% in 2005. Prior to the injury, he was back to peak performance levels, with a 1.100 OPS, and the best hitter in the league along with Manny.

It's unlikely that his power is going away, as that's the last thing that leaves most athletes (i.e. George Foreman winning a heavyweight title at 45), and he won't lose his patience, so he's a near lock for a high OPS if he is healthy. The wild card in all this is the BA, which is a fickle stat, since the difference between a hit and a single can litterally be inches.

RKMeibalane
08-07-2004, 09:25 PM
I hope he comes back at 100% in 2005. Prior to the injury, he was back to peak performance levels, with a 1.100 OPS, and the best hitter in the league along with Manny.

It's unlikely that his power is going away, as that's the last thing that leaves most athletes (i.e. George Foreman winning a heavyweight title at 45), and he won't lose his patience, so he's a near lock for a high OPS if he is healthy. The wild card in all this is the BA, which is a fickle stat, since the difference between a hit and a single can litterally be inches.
Agreed. I'm not worried about Frank. I'm more interested to see what kind of team the Sox put around him. Something must be done about all of these holes.

Aidan
08-07-2004, 09:26 PM
I have the feeling Borchard will be gone after this season. The Sox are just going to have to eat his contract and pay to do nothing. He's a bust.I'm beginning to think we should have traded Borchard when he had some value. The future is looking grimm for Borch. Hopefully, Brian Anderson will be MLB ready soon. :(:

RKMeibalane
08-07-2004, 09:28 PM
I'm beginning to think we should have traded Borchard when he had some value. The future is looking grimm for Borch. Hopefully, Brian Anderson will be MLB ready soon. :(:
I agree. KW should have given him to Seattle in the Garcia trade.

Aidan
08-07-2004, 09:29 PM

It's unlikely that his power is going away, as that's the last thing that leaves most athletes (i.e. George Foreman winning a heavyweight title at 45), and he won't lose his patience, so he's a near lock for a high OPS if he is healthy. The wild card in all this is the BA, which is a fickle stat, since the difference between a hit and a single can litterally be inches.Agreed. I want Frank back more than anything. Maggs can go to hell after his shenanigans. I won't miss him at all. I'd rather see Reinsdorf use his $14 million on an ace pitcher or a stud SS that can get on base (Renteria).

Aidan
08-07-2004, 09:31 PM
I agree. KW should have given him to Seattle in the Garcia trade.Agreed. The problem is that Seattle knew Borchard wasn't that great and wanted either Crede or Reed.

RKMeibalane
08-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Agreed. The problem is that Seattle knew Borchard wasn't that great and wanted either Crede or Reed.
I really wish KW had given them Crede. Even though there are no guarantees that Reed will amount to anything, I'm sick and tired of seeing "Mr. Long Swing" go 0-4 every night.

balboner
08-07-2004, 09:36 PM
I really, really hope that KW doesn't plan on sticking Everett in RF next year. His defense is so poor, it will really hurt what should be a solid pitching staff. Everett's offense is nothing more than average, and that doesn't come close to justifying putting such a butcher in the outfield. The Rauch for Everett trade looks worse every day.

Aidan
08-07-2004, 09:38 PM
I really, really hope that KW doesn't plan on sticking Everett in RF next year. His defense is so poor, it will really hurt what should be a solid pitching staff. Everett's offense is nothing more than average, and that doesn't come close to justifying putting such a butcher in the outfield. The Rauch for Everett trade looks worse every day.Rauch? I hope you're kidding.

balboner
08-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Rauch? I hope you're kidding.
The reason I say that about Rauch is that if KW wanted to trade him, he could have continued to let him succeed in the minors, and then trade him to fill a hole on the team in the offseason. If Everett is KW's plan to take over for Maggs, he's more foolish than I thought he was. Rauch and another prospect could have likely landed the Sox a true, everyday outfielder in the majors. Not an injury prone DH who hasnt produced at all during the 2004 season.

RKMeibalane
08-07-2004, 09:43 PM
I really, really hope that KW doesn't plan on sticking Everett in RF next year. His defense is so poor, it will really hurt what should be a solid pitching staff. Everett's offense is nothing more than average, and that doesn't come close to justifying putting such a butcher in the outfield. The Rauch for Everett trade looks worse every day.
In a perfect world, the Sox would be able to get a five-tool player like Bobby Abreu to play right field. Unfortunately, the real Sox don't have the money or the know-how to find a player like that. Everett is the best option they've got.

Aidan
08-07-2004, 09:44 PM
The reason I say that about Rauch is that if KW wanted to trade him, he could have continued to let him succeed in the minors, and then trade him to fill a hole on the team in the offseason. If Everett is KW's plan to take over for Maggs, he's more foolish than I thought he was. Rauch and another prospect could have likely landed the Sox a true, everyday outfielder in the majors. Not an injury prone DH who hasnt produced at all during the 2004 season.I honestly don't even think Rauch and Borchard could net us a true, everyday outfielder at this point. They both suck.

Aidan
08-07-2004, 09:45 PM
In a perfect world, the Sox would be able to get a five-tool player like Bobby Abreu to play right field. Unfortunately, the real Sox don't have the money or the know-how to find a player like that. Everett is the best option they've got.Yep, and I believe Abreu will be a free agent after this season. Too bad there's no way that Jerry will open up the purse strings for him.

Flight #24
08-07-2004, 09:50 PM
The reason I say that about Rauch is that if KW wanted to trade him, he could have continued to let him succeed in the minors, and then trade him to fill a hole on the team in the offseason. If Everett is KW's plan to take over for Maggs, he's more foolish than I thought he was. Rauch and another prospect could have likely landed the Sox a true, everyday outfielder in the majors. Not an injury prone DH who hasnt produced at all during the 2004 season.
Remember - Everett was acquired to be a DH and replace Frank. Not many options to do that, Carl was one of the better ones. After that, Maggs went down for the year, forcing Carl into RF (or Gload):o:

Frankfan4life
08-07-2004, 10:53 PM
With Frank coming back next year, at least I'll have something to look forward to in 2005. :smile:

Get healthy Frank. We really need you!

Jjav829
08-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Since Frank isn't doing much these days, can we find a way to clone him?

I hope he can come back fully healthy. It worries me when I hear talk about this foot problem leading to the end of his career.

Aidan
08-07-2004, 11:06 PM
Since Frank isn't doing much these days, can we find a way to clone him?

I hope he can come back fully healthy. It worries me when I hear talk about this foot problem leading to the end of his career.While we're at it, can we clone Aaron Rowand too? I wouldn't mind Aaron Rowand in CF and Aaron Rowand in RF.

Brian26
08-08-2004, 12:11 AM

Lip
Lip,

Are you even a Sox fan?

Lip Man 1
08-08-2004, 01:38 AM
Brian:

Of course why do you think I put in so much time for the web site.

I just can't get over these ludicrous comments that's all. The fans and the players have been talking the same garbage for the past four years now Brian. Since they haven't put up, I propose that they SHUT UP until they actually do something don't you?

With the team COMPLETELY healthy they couldn't put the Twins away early in the season could they?

Yet Frank says this team can 'run away' with the division next year? Maybe in a fantasy league or in Strat-O-Matic where if you don't like the roll you can cheat but not in reality.

And have I mentioned about the lack of a 5th starter yet? (I guess a 4th starter if you count Garland...)

That's reality Brian...sorry... I honestly don't mean to piss you off.

Here's how big of a Sox fan I am Brian. When the Sox blow a tough game or when they are lousy, I don't sleep well. This team losing just gets into my subconscious and I dream about them. I relive the game or games against my will. It happened again last night, I didn't sleep worth a damn. It's been that way for years...I always sleep better in the off season. When Ventura fractured his leg I didn't sleep at all that night, when the Sox pissed away the 1983 ALCS I was in shock for a week. Even my boss and his wife at the TV station asked me what was wrong. Lanny said it looked like someone kicked me in the nuts.

I think that's being a good Sox fan.

Lip

OurBitchinMinny
08-08-2004, 03:08 AM

He was hitting .270, which means he is not one of the best hitters. He USED to be one of the best hitters. Now he is a slightly above average hitter with a good eye

Nellie_Fox
08-08-2004, 03:17 AM
He was hitting .270, which means he is not one of the best hitters. He USED to be one of the best hitters. Now he is a slightly above average hitter with a good eyeHow can you look at what has happened and say this? Teams simply won't pitch to Frank, and his absence changes the way teams approach the rest of the lineup. All Frank doubters should have had their attitudes changed by what has happened in his absence.

inta
08-08-2004, 04:59 AM
How can you look at what has happened and say this? Teams simply won't pitch to Frank, and his absence changes the way teams approach the rest of the lineup. All Frank doubters should have had their attitudes changed by what has happened in his absence.
AGREED.

frank is the only guy on the sox who can work a pitcher and force a walk or at least raise the pitch count.

best of luck to you frank. can't wait to see you in a sox uniform again...

Chrisaway
08-08-2004, 05:21 AM
How can you look at what has happened and say this? Teams simply won't pitch to Frank, and his absence changes the way teams approach the rest of the lineup. All Frank doubters should have had their attitudes changed by what has happened in his absence.I've never doubted Thomas. Hell I think he's god.

owensmouth
08-08-2004, 08:48 AM
Agreed. I want Frank back more than anything. Maggs can go to hell after his shenanigans. I won't miss him at all. I'd rather see Reinsdorf use his $14 million on an ace pitcher or a stud SS that can get on base (Renteria).
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...you can't spend what you don't have. No Magglio, no 14 million dollars. No stud pitcher. Renteria? He'd leave St Louis to come to the White Sox? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Contact Colangelo about spending unearned millions.

sendimjoey
08-08-2004, 12:45 PM
He was hitting .270, which means he is not one of the best hitters. He USED to be one of the best hitters. Now he is a slightly above average hitter with a good eye

ChisoxfaninMinny, you have to look at what Thomas was doing before he got hurt. According to ESPN.com, after the first game in Miami, Thomas was hitting .298/.462/.639 for an other-worldy 1101 OPS. He was having an MVP-type season until he hurt his foot/ankle. After that, he struggled, as I think we can all understand that it's difficult to hit a baseball when your front foot/ankle has a broken bone in it.

I'm very glad that Thomas is coming back, and I look forward to him having a great, healthy season next year. :bandance:

OEO Magglio
08-08-2004, 12:50 PM

Yea that'll get it done!

LipAnd I'm sure kenny is going to stand pat this offseason.:rolleyes:

JRIG
08-08-2004, 01:03 PM
It is a simple world we live in when we only use BA to determine a hitter's success.

Lip Man 1
08-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Actually OEO I don't know about that. I think Ozzie is going to demand changes to Uncle Jerry and Kenny.

Now that doesn't mean they are going to spend money...they aren't going to sign impact free agents but I think they are going to make a number of trades to scramble things and 'hope' that their 'luck' will change.

I don't think Ozzie cares what Jerry and Kenny think. He's crazy enough to say 'shove it' to them, and go back to Miami. That's a powerful position to be in.

With the position this organization and team are in not only in Chicago but in baseball they need Ozzie more then Ozzie needs them.

Lip

OEO Magglio
08-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Actually OEO I don't know about that. I think Ozzie is going to demand changes to Uncle Jerry and Kenny.

Now that doesn't mean they are going to spend money (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=16,28012355,whitesoxinteractive .com,1)...they aren't going to sign impact free agents but I think they are going to make a number of trades to scramble things and 'hope' that their 'luck' will change.

I don't think Ozzie cares (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=502,28012355,whitesoxinteractiv e.com,1) what Jerry and Kenny think. He's crazy enough to say 'shove it' to them, and go back to Miami. That's a powerful position to be in.

With the position this organization and team are in not only in Chicago but in baseball they need Ozzie more then Ozzie needs them.

LipLip, I agree with you, hence this guy :rolleyes: . This team will get a makeover offensively, I guarantee you that.

RKMeibalane
08-08-2004, 01:35 PM
Lip, I agree with you, hence this guy :rolleyes: . This time will get a makeover offensively, I guarantee you that. I agree. As far as I'm concerned, the entire team needs to be overhauled. The current group of players has had its chance, and they've not been able to capitalize. Things need to change. I felt differently a few days ago, but after seeing the way this team has mailed it in, it's clear that some new blood is needed.

I don't have a blue-print for this team's success, because I don't know what type of players Guillen wants, and I don't know if Reinsdorf and Williams are willing to spend the money to get those players. The following represents what I do know, or at least what I believe.

Magglio Ordonez has played his last game in White Sox uniform. He's a great player, and I'm going to miss watching him. That said, he's not worth the amount of money he's asking for. I'd much rather see the Sox use whatever money they save from his departure to sign other players. Let the Mets overpay for his services.

Frank Thomas has already said that he will return next season. Several people (myself included) believe that he has several years of baseball left in him. I'm glad those years will be spent on the South Side.

I don't know what changes will take place between now and next March, but the Sox should keep the following players:

Thomas, Buehrle, Garcia, Rowand, Takatsu, Marte, Contreras

Everyone else is fair game to be shipped out. I've seen enough of the Jose Valentin show at shortstop. He's not the player he once was, and the Sox would be wise to spend five million dollars on someone else. Uribe is terrible defensively, but he can play the position if necessary. I'm hoping the Sox will find someone else who can, so that it's not necessary.

Paul Konerko has had a great season. Perhaps his production might entice another team (Braves?) to make a deal with the Sox during the off-season. The same is true of Carlos Lee. I expect at least one of these players to be moved, possibly before the end of this season. The Sox are clearly out of it now, so there's no reason why they can't start thinking about next year.

If Jon Garland isn't traded, I'm going to be pissed. The man has more than enough talent to win twenty games every season, but he's also the most mentally fragile athlete I've ever seen. He gets ahead of hitters 0-2 or 1-2 with no probem, but then he can't put them away. We've seen this act for four season, and it's way past old. I'm more than willing to let Judy become someone else's problem next season.

Ditto for Scott Shoeneweis. I don't what this guy's problem is, but he clearly isn't a Major League pitcher. The fact that the Sox gave up Gary Glover to get him speaks volumes about how much he sucks. I won't miss him at all.

While I'm thinking about pitcher-catcher batteries, the Sox need to find a replacement for Olivo. Either Davis or Burke is likely to return, but the Sox can't rely on them to play every day. They need somone who can start five or six times a week, with the other catcher filling in periodically. The catcher doesn't have to provide much offense, but he does need to know how to handle a pitching staff, and he must also be able to throw runners out.

mdep524
08-08-2004, 01:45 PM
I agree. As far as I'm concerned, the entire team needs to be overhauled. The current group of players has had its chance, and they've not been able to capitalize. Things need to change. I felt differently a few days ago, but after seeing the way this team has mailed it in, it's clear that some new blood is needed.

I don't have a blue-print for this team's success, because I don't know what type of players Guillen wants, and I don't know if Reinsdorf and Williams are willing to spend the money to get those players. The following represents what I do know, or at least what I believe.

Magglio Ordonez has played his last game in White Sox uniform. He's a great player, and I'm going to miss watching him. That said, he's not worth the amount of money he's asking for. I'd much rather see the Sox use whatever money they save from his departure to sign other players. Let the Mets overpay for his services.

Frank Thomas has already said that he will return next season. Several people (myself included) believe that he has several years of baseball left in him. I'm glad those years will be spent on the South Side.

I don't know what changes will take place between now and next March, but the Sox should keep the following players:

Thomas, Buehrle, Garcia, Rowand, Takatsu, Marte, Contreras

Everyone else is fair game to be shipped out. I've seen enough of the Jose Valentin show at shortstop. He's not the player he once was, and the Sox would be wise to spend five million dollars on someone else. Uribe is terrible defensively, but he can play the position if necessary. I'm hoping the Sox will find someone else who can, so that it's not necessary.

Paul Konerko has had a great season. Perhaps his production might entice another team (Braves?) to make a deal with the Sox during the off-season. The same is true of Carlos Lee. I expect at least one of these players to be moved, possibly before the end of this season. The Sox are clearly out of it now, so there's no reason why they can't start thinking about next year.

If Jon Garland isn't traded, I'm going to be pissed. The man has more than enough talent to win twenty games every season, but he's also the most mentally fragile athlete I've ever seen. He gets ahead of hitters 0-2 or 1-2 with no probem, but then he can't put them away. We've seen this act for four season, and it's way past old. I'm more than willing to let Judy become someone else's problem next season.

Ditto for Scott Shoeneweis. I don't what this guy's problem is, but he clearly isn't a Major League pitcher. The fact that the Sox gave up Gary Glover to get him speaks volumes about how much he sucks. I won't miss him at all.

While I'm thinking about pitcher-catcher batteries, the Sox need to find a replacement for Olivo. Either Davis or Burke is likely to return, but the Sox can't rely on them to play every day. They need somone who can start five or six times a week, with the other catcher filling in periodically. The catcher doesn't have to provide much offense, but he does need to know how to handle a pitching staff, and he must also be able to throw runners out.Good post, RK. I agree with most of what you said...except where you say Uribe is "terrible defensively." I actually think he is very, very good defensively. Quick, soft hands and a strong arm. What would make you think he is anything less than stellar defensively? Offensively on the other hand...

EDIT: One thing I will say is that Juan never- NEVER- dives for a ball on the infield. It limits his range, and it is maddingly frustrating as sometimes he could easily get to a ball if he'd just get his uniform dirty. Otherwise, stellar defensively.

balboner
08-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Two things:

-Why does everyone think that Garland has such potential? His fastball tops out at about 92 mph, has an average curve and change, and his sinker isn't exactly like D. Lowe or K. Brown.
-Anyone thinking that Everett can play right field next year. Just look at how pathetic he looked in LF during Sunday's game. His defense could lose you about 5 games over the course of a season.

jordan23ventura
08-08-2004, 09:59 PM
I agree. As far as I'm concerned, the entire team needs to be overhauled.
There should be major changes, but I don't think the entire team needs to be overhauled. The starting rotation is fine depending on if Diaz or someone else can step up and if Garland performs a bit better or brings another SP in a trade. The bullpen is crap on the other hand, and this team needs more line drive hitters and players who can make contact with a runner on third.

Bye bye, Maggs.

Thomas, Buehrle, Garcia, Rowand, Takatsu, Marte, Contreras.
Shingo?

Valentin has never really been a high average hitter and never will be. His defensive mistakes get blown up often and he K's too much. I'll be sad to see him go, but I think this team can sacrifice the power and range for $3-5mil off the payroll and a higher average and OBP and less K's in Uribe.

One of these two should definately be moved if the Sox plan on getting any help in CF, MIF, or putting together a nice bullpen. I'd hate to see either go, but I think we could get more for Paulie.

It would be nice to see what KW would be able to get in a Crede+Garland package.

Remember the beginning of the season? He was almost our ace at one point until his arm started acting up and he went into a tailspin after that. He is probably best in the bullpen, but I wouldn't go as far as saying he's not a ML pitcher.

While I'm thinking about pitcher-catcher batteries, the Sox need to find a replacement for Olivo. Either Davis or Burke is likely to return, but the Sox can't rely on them to play every day. They need somone who can start five or six times a week, with the other catcher filling in periodically. The catcher doesn't have to provide much offense, but he does need to know how to handle a pitching staff, and he must also be able to throw runners out.
So Davis can't? Let's wait until the end of this season before we jump to conclusions.

Aidan
08-08-2004, 10:06 PM
AGREED.

frank is the only guy on the sox who can work a pitcher and force a walk or at least raise the pitch count.

best of luck to you frank. can't wait to see you in a sox uniform again...What about Big Ben Davis??? :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

inta
08-08-2004, 11:17 PM
What about Big Ben Davis??? :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

well the guy has pretty much tripled his average since coming here...

Sox Mobile
08-09-2004, 12:22 AM
ChisoxfaninMinny, you have to look at what Thomas was doing before he got hurt. According to ESPN.com, after the first game in Miami, Thomas was hitting .298/.462/.639 for an other-worldy 1101 OPS. He was having an MVP-type season until he hurt his foot/ankle. After that, he struggled, as I think we can all understand that it's difficult to hit a baseball when your front foot/ankle has a broken bone in it.

I'm very glad that Thomas is coming back, and I look forward to him having a great, healthy season next year. :bandance:You are exactly right. Frank was only getting one at bat through most of interleague games after his injury. His bum wheel really hurt his stats.

I was at that last game in Miami 6/17 when he left the game early after he hurt his ankle. I dont think he ever played a full game after that.

I might add Frank stood and signed autographs outside the bus that night!