PDA

View Full Version : Things I have a problem with

balboner
08-07-2004, 06:39 PM
- I don't care if Crede has played poor or not, he needs to be playing 3b everyday for this team. Especially against lhp, it's ridiculous that Crede is going to lose time so that we can play Valentin and Alomar. Crede is as big a part of the Sox future as anyone else, and should be given the last 6 weeks to prove if he can be a major leaguer.
- Someone needs to tell KW that if he wants to get switch hitters, they can't be a complete liability from one side of the plate. Alomar, Everett, Jose, and Borchard all are awful vs lhp. Therefore, it basically negates any advantage of a switch hitter. Considering the depth and quality of lhp in the al central, this becomes even more important.
- Ozzie's managing. His decisions and strategy are not good. Too many times this year, we didn't allow our team the chance for a big inning. Too many bunts, playing for one run. When you're a homer hitting team, you value as many outs as you can get. Also, Ozzie letting Borchard bat in the 9th last night was a lucky decision by him that should not have been made. Either Valentin, who's the most clutch Sox hitter with power, or Gload, who's batting about .400 PH, should have been up instead of Borchard. If Wickman would have fielded an easy grounder, Ozzie should have got a lot of crap for it.

RKMeibalane
08-07-2004, 06:53 PM
- I don't care if Crede has played poor or not, he needs to be playing 3b everyday for this team. Especially against lhp, it's ridiculous that Crede is going to lose time so that we can play Valentin and Alomar. Crede is as big a part of the Sox future as anyone else, and should be given the last 6 weeks to prove if he can be a major leaguer.
The last six weeks? Crede has been given the past two and half seasons to prove he belongs in the big leauges, and the consensus as of this moment is that he does not. The man has actually gotten worse as time has passed. He was a better player when he first came up. What does that tell you? As far as I'm concerned, Crede has six weeks to shape up, or he's gone. There's no reason why the Sox should have to put up with another year the same old **** from him.

- Someone needs to tell KW that if he wants to get switch hitters, they can't be a complete liability from one side of the plate. Alomar, Everett, Jose, and Borchard all are awful vs lhp. Therefore, it basically negates any advantage of a switch hitter. Considering the depth and quality of lhp in the al central, this becomes even more important.
I don't think Williams is to blame for this. He has done what he can with the payroll the Sox have. Finding better players means that JR needs to spend more money. KW's hands are tied, so it's not fair to criticize him in this case. I'm amazed that he's been able to do what he has for this team.

- Ozzie's managing. His decisions and strategy are not good. Too many times this year, we didn't allow our team the chance for a big inning. Too many bunts, playing for one run. When you're a homer hitting team, you value as many outs as you can get. Also, Ozzie letting Borchard bat in the 9th last night was a lucky decision by him that should not have been made. Either Valentin, who's the most clutch Sox hitter with power, or Gload, who's batting about .400 PH, should have been up instead of Borchard. If Wickman would have fielded an easy grounder, Ozzie should have got a lot of crap for it.
If Ozzie had used either Gload or Valentin, Eric Wedge could have decided to walk them intentionally. Since Cleveland has no left-handers in their bullpen, this would have been the safest option for him.

balboner
08-07-2004, 07:06 PM
Exactly, if Crede has 6 weeks to shape up or be shipped out, then why not give him the rest of the season to see what he can do? Do we really want to have to spend a lot of money to sign a FA 3b? It's not that easy to find a quality 3b, as was evident by the Cubs search until the Pirates gift-wrapped Aramis for them.

As for the end of the game last night, if Wedge wants to intentionally walk the winning run on base, then that's good for the Sox. Thus, you have either Gload or Valentin batting with 2 guys on.

My biggest fear with KW is that he's going to keep going for it this year when there's no hope for the season at this point. I'd much rather give our young guys a chance the last few weeks of the season to see what they can do instead of trading for guys. Can it get any worse than this right now?

Gimm
08-07-2004, 07:07 PM
- - I don't care if Crede has played poor or not, he needs to be playing 3b everyday for this team. Especially against lhp, it's ridiculous that Crede is going to lose time so that we can play Valentin and Alomar. Crede is as big a part of the Sox future as anyone else
We don't make playoffs this year and there is no future.

balboner
08-07-2004, 07:16 PM
You honestly think that this team can make up 6.5 games against a very, very good Twins team that doesn't beat itself?

soxtalker
08-07-2004, 10:40 PM

My biggest fear with KW is that he's going to keep going for it this year when there's no hope for the season at this point. I'd much rather give our young guys a chance the last few weeks of the season to see what they can do instead of trading for guys. Can it get any worse than this right now?
I agree. In some respects, I'd rather that they fall farther out rather quickly than stay at 5 - 7 games back. (My first preference, of course, is that they jump back to 2 or 3 games out rather quickly.) That way they will play the younger guys, and they might be able to trade one or two guys for prospects. Valentin is an example. I would imagine that they won't sign Valentin for $5M again next year, and they then wouldn't want to offer him arbitration. So, if he signs with another team next year, we get no draft picks. A trade, if we're out of it, would make sense for us. (Plus, it might allow Valentin to play in the play offs.)