PDA

View Full Version : From the other side


Paulwny
10-01-2001, 09:07 PM
Comments by yank tv announcers Jim Kaat and Ken Singleton:

Kaat-- "Wells has had 2 strikes on 9 of the first 10 batters and doesn't know how to polish them off, inexperience showing itself. I understand some of the sox brass are upset with Wells and his up and down games. You don't become a good pitcher overnight, it normally takes 3 to 4 years. He appears to pitch well against the bottom feeders but it's apparent here that he lacks confidence against a veteran yankee team."

Singleton--- "Some people around the league feel Jerry Manuel is a better manager this year then last year,bringing the sox back from the deep hole they dug themselves into when the season started."

Singleton--- "I met Kenny Williams before the game and he told me he'd be busy in the off season trying to get a left handed power hitter."

This pissed me off--They were laughing because the yanks were at bat so long in the 2nd and 3rd innings that Louis Sojo went to the club house and shaved off his moustache.

Jerry_Manuel
10-01-2001, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Singleton--- "I met Kenny Williams before the game and he told me he'd be busy in the off season trying to get a left handed power hitter."


Yeah I can see that:

:KW
We are happy to announce the signing of Robin Ventura.

Jerry_Manuel
10-01-2001, 09:15 PM
or....


:KW
We are proud to announce that we have bought the contract of Joe Borchard.

Daver
10-01-2001, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

We are happy to announce the signing of Robin Ventura.

That will not happen.

Jerry_Manuel
10-01-2001, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by daver
That will not happen.

I know, it was meant as a joke.

FarWestChicago
10-01-2001, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
This pissed me off--They were laughing because the yanks were at bat so long in the 2nd and 3rd innings that Louis Sojo went to the club house and shaved off his moustache. Ouch! Well if the razor fits...

RichieRichAllen
10-02-2001, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


I know, it was meant as a joke.

Why does everybody see it as a foregone conclusion that Ventura won't be back next season in a Sox uniform?

Not saying I endorse it, just curious as to why?

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by RichieRichAllen
Why does everybody see it as a foregone conclusion that Ventura won't be back next season in a Sox uniform?

Not saying I endorse it, just curious as to why?

Because he's not the same player he was 4 years ago. He also would command a nice chunk of change. The fact of the matter is this, it is time to play Joe Crede period. We have sat through the likes of Greg Norton and others that I can't recall at this time. Those guys were stopgaps until Crede could "get ready". Well it's time to find out what we have in him.

CerberusWG
10-02-2001, 02:50 PM
LH Power Hitter=Harold Baines ;)

Nellie_Fox
10-02-2001, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
This pissed me off--They were laughing because the yanks were at bat so long in the 2nd and 3rd innings that Louis Sojo went to the club house and shaved off his moustache.

The way I heard it was that Sojo shaved it off to break his prolonged slump. He got a hit in his next at bat.

Paulwny
10-03-2001, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox


The way I heard it was that Sojo shaved it off to break his prolonged slump. He got a hit in his next at bat.

This is true, but why didn't he shave it off prior to the game?