PDA

View Full Version : Possible Renovations?

FightingBillini
08-07-2004, 04:46 PM
Here is some photoshop work I did on the grandstand. I added brick and filled in the umpire tunnel with seats. Tell me what you guys think.
I included the original and the edited one.

Tmar281
08-07-2004, 04:50 PM
reminds me too much of wrigley:unsure:

ewokpelts
08-07-2004, 04:50 PM
Here is some photoshop work I did on the grandstand. I added brick and filled in the umpire tunnel with seats. Tell me what you guys think.
I included the original and the edited one.looks ok...that may happen next year.
Gene

FightingBillini
08-07-2004, 04:53 PM
I dont think it looks like wrigley at all. There were brick buildings, both ballparks and otherwise, that were built before and after wrigley that dont resemble it at all. These are the sand color bricks the Sox have in the park now, not the red bricks wrigley has.

Even if we put ivy everywhere, it wouldnt be like wrigley unless they put in a gay bar down the street.

owensmouth
08-07-2004, 04:59 PM
Next year? Paint the seats empty

soxnut
08-07-2004, 05:03 PM
I like the brickwork behind home and the filling in of the umpires tunnel. I would prefer that the concrete facades be painted black to match the ironwork of the roof and the outfield lattice. The facades would then look more like steel. Also, they need to do something decorative around those two large windows on both sides near the club level. They're so rectangular and boring.

Tmar281
08-07-2004, 05:28 PM
Even if we put ivy everywhere, it wouldnt be like wrigley unless they put in a gay bar down the street. :rolling:

Viva Magglio
08-07-2004, 05:32 PM
Can you doctor more pictures and remove Jose Valentin-E from the field?

LongLiveFisk
08-07-2004, 05:33 PM
I included the original and the edited one.
I'm all for putting seats right behind home plate so you can see the fans in the background again when watching the game on tv (in fact, this was one of the many suggestions I e-mailed to Brooks Boyer) but do it ala Old Comiskey Park, not Wrigley Field. Those yuppie windbags would never let us live that down, for God's sake. And enough parks have been or are being Wriglified already. Enough is enough.

FightingBillini
08-07-2004, 05:47 PM
I'm all for putting seats right behind home plate so you can see the fans in the background again when watching the game on tv (in fact, this was one of the many suggestions I e-mailed to Brooks Boyer) but do it ala Old Comiskey Park, not Wrigley Field. Those yuppie windbags would never let us live that down, for God's sake. And enough parks have been or are being Wriglified already. Enough is enough.
Old Comiskey had a brick backstop as late as the 60's. All the walls were brick there before they put in green padding for safety reasons. Not only that, but the entire exterior was brick, although it was later painted white.

We had brick wall at our park before wrigley did. They stole our idea.

dpbyron
08-07-2004, 06:31 PM
Old Comiskey had a brick backstop as late as the 60's. All the walls were brick there before they put in green padding for safety reasons. Not only that, but the entire exterior was brick, although it was later painted white.

We had brick wall at our park before wrigley did. They stole our idea.Yeah, but current day Cub "fans" would be crying that we are trying to be more like The Tavern.

Whitesox029
08-08-2004, 12:45 AM
I included the original and the edited one.I have an idea. Why don't we renovate our ballclub into a championship caliber team? I'll take the "ballmall" and a championship any day over a fan-friendly ballpark and a 3rd place team. That's what separates us from the Cub fans.

anewman35
08-08-2004, 11:34 AM
I have an idea. Why don't we renovate our ballclub into a championship caliber team? I'll take the "ballmall" and a championship any day over a fan-friendly ballpark and a 3rd place team. That's what separates us from the Cub fans.
I have an idea. How about people stop saying something like this on EVERY SINGLE RENOVATION THREAD. The team CAN'T use US Cellular money on players. Get over it.

hsnterprize
08-08-2004, 07:43 PM
I included the original and the edited one.I as a Sox fan in the media appreciate yours and everyone's attempts to use photoshop to improve the look of U.S. Cellular Field for next season. Truthfully, I'd like to see the seats change color from blue to a kelly green, and possibly, an upper level in right field. There is definitely going to be a combination "Fundamentals" park/fan deck in left for next year, and it's about 98% confirmed the seats will be changed. However, I think the "bricking" of the ballpark is fine as it is. There's so many ballparks that are trying to recreate the Wrigley Field effect, that I think it's nauseating to say the least.

Now, Wrigley Field wasn't and isn't the only baseball stadium that uses brick either behind home plate, along the basepaths, and so on. However, with Wrigley Field in the eyes of people perception-wise, I think it's safe to say that if U.S. Cellular Field tried to put it in, the comparisons would be endless, and whatever flak we Sox fans are taking now because of our place would only be magnified many fold. Remember all the crap we took because of the ivy/brush placed within the center field fan deck? The kelly-green padding, the new roof, and all the other changes including those for next year is good enough. That'll keep the Cell as unique of a place as any other in MLB, and hopefully, people will appreciate that rather than keep trying to make it look like the south side version of the Urinal.

Look at pictures of all the new stadiums that have gone up within the past few years (i.e., Philadelphia, San Diego, Detroit, and in 2006, St. Louis). If you look closely, you'll see there are places outside the outfield seating area that include "rooftop seating". Now, isn't that unique?!?!?!?!? If anything, I say let the new places wait 70 years to put lights in...oh, I'm sorry...they're already included in the design. However, there's a legit point in this...Sox fans don't want their ballpark to become Wrigley Field South. We want to celebrate our uniqueness, even if the local/national media wants to keep comparing us to the north side team. Sooner or later (hopefully sooner rather than later), people will catch on to Sox Pride. If the team can put some wins together and catch up to Minnesota, people will be interested in the Sox again. Unfortunately, the Cubs would also have to tank in the NL WC race, and I don't see either San Diego or San Francisco being that much of a threat.

jordan23ventura
08-08-2004, 08:07 PM
I as a Sox fan in the media appreciate yours and everyone's attempts to use photoshop to improve the look of U.S. Cellular Field for next season. Truthfully, I'd like to see the seats change color from blue to a kelly green, and possibly, an upper level in right field. There is definitely going to be a combination "Fundamentals" park/fan deck in left for next year, and it's about 98% confirmed the seats will be changed. However, I think the "bricking" of the ballpark is fine as it is. There's so many ballparks that are trying to recreate the Wrigley Field effect, that I think it's nauseating to say the least.

Now, Wrigley Field wasn't and isn't the only baseball stadium that uses brick either behind home plate, along the basepaths, and so on. However, with Wrigley Field in the eyes of people perception-wise, I think it's safe to say that if U.S. Cellular Field tried to put it in, the comparisons would be endless, and whatever flak we Sox fans are taking now because of our place would only be magnified many fold. Remember all the crap we took because of the ivy/brush placed within the center field fan deck? The kelly-green padding, the new roof, and all the other changes including those for next year is good enough. That'll keep the Cell as unique of a place as any other in MLB, and hopefully, people will appreciate that rather than keep trying to make it look like the south side version of the Urinal.

Look at pictures of all the new stadiums that have gone up within the past few years (i.e., Philadelphia, San Diego, Detroit, and in 2006, St. Louis). If you look closely, you'll see there are places outside the outfield seating area that include "rooftop seating". Now, isn't that unique?!?!?!?!? If anything, I say let the new places wait 70 years to put lights in...oh, I'm sorry...they're already included in the design. However, there's a legit point in this...Sox fans don't want their ballpark to become Wrigley Field South. We want to celebrate our uniqueness, even if the local/national media wants to keep comparing us to the north side team. Sooner or later (hopefully sooner rather than later), people will catch on to Sox Pride. If the team can put some wins together and catch up to Minnesota, people will be interested in the Sox again. Unfortunately, the Cubs would also have to tank in the NL WC race, and I don't see either San Diego or San Francisco being that much of a threat.
What?

Who cares what cub fans think? Who cares what anyone else thinks? If it makes the stadium look better for the fans, do it. End of story.

BTW, I always hear Cub fans complaining that there is plantlife in center field. They never bragg about having a team that almost made the World Series last year.

And also, why do you always have to post in red?

misty60481
08-08-2004, 08:24 PM
Can you make 3rd base & home plate about 10 feet closer together for Harris trying to score from 2nd on infield hit

pinwheels3530
08-08-2004, 09:18 PM
I really don't care what cub fans and media members who are cub fans think, The only thing that matters is what Sox fan think! The renovations so far have been fantastic, as long as the casual baseball fan and out ot towners come to appreciate our park ( talked to some twins fans at the last series played at the cell and they loved our park ) it will be well worth it. More people in the stands mean more revenue etc.....US Cellur should be looked at now as a great place to watch a game with Chicago being a great city to visit for all those baseball fans who take ballpark tours!!! Go Sox!!!

hsnterprize
08-08-2004, 10:41 PM
What?

Who cares what cub fans think? Who cares what anyone else thinks? If it makes the stadium look better for the fans, do it. End of story.

BTW, I always hear Cub fans complaining that there is plantlife in center field. They never bragg about having a team that almost made the World Series last year.

And also, why do you always have to post in red? Who cares about what Cubs fans think...in truth, no one should, but there's so many of them, and they're more than quick to try and take credit for anything a new ballpark does in order to draw fans like Wrigley does.

And of course they'll brag about their ballpark because that's all they have to brag about. The idea of a good team on the field is a novelty to them. If it weren't for Wrigley, who would honestly care about the Cubs? Just observe how they shudder when the words, "Tear...down...Wrigley." come out of your mouth.

And why do I "always have to post in red?" Because I like it.

FightingBillini
08-08-2004, 11:25 PM
It makes people think are you angry.

Max Power
08-08-2004, 11:36 PM
Look at pictures of all the new stadiums that have gone up within the past few years (i.e., Philadelphia, San Diego, Detroit, and in 2006, St. Louis). If you look closely, you'll see there are places outside the outfield seating area that include "rooftop seating". I know the "rooftop seating" at Philadelphia's new place is in memory of the real rooftop "seating" at Shibe Park. Least that's what they say.

doublem23
08-09-2004, 01:41 AM
Yeah, fans across the street from Shibe Park used to be able to watch the games for free, until Connie Mack build a huge wall in right field.

hsnterprize
08-09-2004, 07:42 AM
It makes people think are you angry. Nope...I thought writing in ALL CAPS meant you were angry.

Hangar18
08-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Those bricks look Excellent. Lets have them match the ones all around the
stadium currently ........ Also, Hopefully, they remove the PreCast COncrete (up to the 3rd level, or where the arches begin outside) and put BRICKS up to that point also. I walked by the park recently, and realized, in conjunction wiht the ROOF, the Dark Paint scheme also, How nice the place would look.
Heck, get the offices and other junk out of there, so that the Arches are Open to the inside of the park too ...........

As for what the cub fans will think ........ screw those m_________ers,
why should we care what a bunch of imbeciles think? 80% cant even name
the players on their team. The cubs have done plenty of "copying" if memory serves correctly. You know that thing they do ........... in the 7th inning where they pretend its historic and sing Take me Out To The Ballgame ???
That began on the SOuth Side ....with the White Sox. CUb fans to this day
call me a liar when I tell them Harry did it on the south side first .
Dusty has a chevy commercial, where he talks about Loyalty, and turns that into how everyone is copying them with their hand-operated old-fashioned scoreboard. Memo to Dusty: You guys 1: Were backward and DIDNT even have electricity 2: Couldnt afford it 3: Cubs werent allowed to put something different there as the dumps a landmark.

FightingBillini
08-09-2004, 11:41 AM
I used a picture I took of bricks from the concourse. They dont really show up on the site, becuase I had to reduce the quality and size of the image to post it here.

margiss
08-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Not to put any fuel on the (what the North side thinks) fire, but take a look at the outside of the stadium. It looks like the masterplan is not for brick to be the facing of choice. It will be . . . IVY.

That stuff has been slowly taking shape on parts of the stadium exterior over the years and select sections are taking shape (1st base line by the entry ramps). Imagine the look in 5 years, 10 years.

As for the brick work on the inside, it looks like a nice touch. That with some green seats (I know what everyone will say here so let's relax) to soften the look on TV when we don't have a full lower bowl, the kids fundamentals area (that my kids can't wait for!) and hopefully the upper deck in right and the grand entrance in left. That should do it for now with the stadium.

All we need now is for the team to allow some post-game tailgating and to market the pre-game activities a bit. Every game more and more are starting to catch on to Sox tailgating and we should capitalize on this chance to extend the community feel of the ballgame to the parking lots.

Go Sox!

mjb
08-09-2004, 11:39 PM
Great job on the picture!!!!! Filling in the Tunnel and adding brickwork are great ideas and would effectively pay for themselves through the added revenue the additional seats would bring.

The current brickwork style is a vast improvement over the previous elements in the park. However, a complementary style of brick and/or stone work may be preferrable to the current version. PNC Park in Pittsburgh has a unique brickwork feature that makes the park immediately recognizable on television and is vastly superior to the copycat brickwork styles of the ballparks in Cincinnati, Philadelphia and Houston.

A brickwork style unique to US Cellular would help distinguish it from other parks and could become one of its signature elements. There are many styles out there--What do you think of a cobblestone style in either White/Grey or Tan/Grey????

Joosh
08-09-2004, 11:47 PM
The picture looks ok, as long as we had something unique.

Rather, we should just add a base between 3rd and Home plate for thoses bases loaded situations.:bandance:

jordan23ventura
08-10-2004, 12:18 AM
Who cares about what Cubs fans think...in truth, no one should, but there's so many of them, and they're more than quick to try and take credit for anything a new ballpark does in order to draw fans like Wrigley does.

And of course they'll brag about their ballpark because that's all they have to brag about. The idea of a good team on the field is a novelty to them. If it weren't for Wrigley, who would honestly care about the Cubs? Just observe how they shudder when the words, "Tear...down...Wrigley." come out of your mouth.

And why do I "always have to post in red?" Because I like it. Oh ok, sorry. I figured you posted in red because you wanted your post to stand out as opposed to everyone else's, like it's more important or something. Guess I'm way off base there.

The Cubs have more to bragg about then their field too (which is falling apart), by the way. As strange as this may sound, although 70% of them probably know nothing about baseball, there's about 30% or so, maybe higher, that actually bragg about having a better chance at making the playoffs then the Sox do without Maggs and Thomas and a bullpen that has been shaky, despite everything that Hawk says.

One final thought: screw the Cubs, screw the Cub fans, stop trying to hinder progress because you think a Cub fan might call you a copycat. You know what we call Cub fans when they say something like that? Stupid. If renovations help bring in more fans, and more fans mean a better team, and a better team means a trip to the playoffs, then do it.

hsnterprize
08-10-2004, 07:49 AM
Oh ok, sorry. I figured you posted in red because you wanted your post to stand out as opposed to everyone else's, like it's more important or something. Guess I'm way off base there.

The Cubs have more to bragg about then their field too (which is falling apart), by the way. As strange as this may sound, although 70% of them probably know nothing about baseball, there's about 30% or so, maybe higher, that actually bragg about having a better chance at making the playoffs then the Sox do without Maggs and Thomas and a bullpen that has been shaky, despite everything that Hawk says.

One final thought: screw the Cubs, screw the Cub fans, stop trying to hinder progress because you think a Cub fan might call you a copycat. You know what we call Cub fans when they say something like that? Stupid. If renovations help bring in more fans, and more fans mean a better team, and a better team means a trip to the playoffs, then do it. I see where you're coming from as far as not worrying about what Cubs fans think. In truth, if it were a small amount of fans, then I wouldn't give 2 cents towards their opinions about our place. But, as popular as the Cubs are, that "criticism" won't be just a few drunken idiots on the street. With all the flak given to the ballpark since it's inception, I'm afraid a legit renovation finish will keep getting overlooked by "beautiful Wrigley Field", and I'm personally am sick and tired of the Cell not getting its proper due.

Hey...I'm all for renovating U.S. Cellular Field to attract new fans. There's nothing wrong with having a ballpark that brings in fans. The problem with Wrigley, as we all know, is that it's hyped up to be this "utopia" for baseball, and a large protion of the people in attendance are only there for the "ambience" of the place rather than the game on the field. If putting brick behind home plate makes it look better, then I guess I can deal with it. I'll trust the powers-that-be in putting in the new features that'll make the place even that much better for baseball. But...we all know the main feature for White Sox baseball is WHITE SOX BASEBALL, and not all the frills, thrills, and "bells and whistles" associated with the ballpark. Even the most stubborn Cub fans admitted U.S. Cellular Field wasn't as "bad" as it was hyped up to be when they went to see the Cubs/Sox games...only comfirming what we've known all along.

Ultimately, we're both are on the same team here as far as renovating the Cell. We're coming from different sides of the fence, but we agree that the ballpark will look even better in 2005. Now...putting a better team on the field for 2005...that's a different story.

soxnut
08-10-2004, 09:10 AM
I see where you're coming from as far as not worrying about what Cubs fans think. In truth, if it were a small amount of fans, then I wouldn't give 2 cents towards their opinions about our place. But, as popular as the Cubs are, that "criticism" won't be just a few drunken idiots on the street. With all the flak given to the ballpark since it's inception, I'm afraid a legit renovation finish will keep getting overlooked by "beautiful Wrigley Field", and I'm personally am sick and tired of the Cell not getting its proper due.

Hey...I'm all for renovating U.S. Cellular Field to attract new fans. There's nothing wrong with having a ballpark that brings in fans. The problem with Wrigley, as we all know, is that it's hyped up to be this "utopia" for baseball, and a large protion of the people in attendance are only there for the "ambience" of the place rather than the game on the field. If putting brick behind home plate makes it look better, then I guess I can deal with it. I'll trust the powers-that-be in putting in the new features that'll make the place even that much better for baseball. But...we all know the main feature for White Sox baseball is WHITE SOX BASEBALL, and not all the frills, thrills, and "bells and whistles" associated with the ballpark. Even the most stubborn Cub fans admitted U.S. Cellular Field wasn't as "bad" as it was hyped up to be when they went to see the Cubs/Sox games...only comfirming what we've known all along.

Ultimately, we're both are on the same team here as far as renovating the Cell. We're coming from different sides of the fence, but we agree that the ballpark will look even better in 2005. Now...putting a better team on the field for 2005...that's a different story.
Hey hsnterprise, seeing that you are with the media and get to the ballpark alot, do you have any inside information about when the Sox are going to announce the rest of the renovations, and which way they are leaning in regards to what renovations they plan on making besides Fundamentals?

hsnterprize
08-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Hey hsnterprise, seeing that you are with the media and get to the ballpark alot, do you have any inside information about when the Sox are going to announce the rest of the renovations, and which way they are leaning in regards to what renovations they plan on making besides Fundamentals? No, I don't have any inside info. However, if I'm able to get any insider information that will be confirmed, I'll be more than glad to pass it along. WSIers are great Sox fans, and they deserve to be in the know.